PDA

View Full Version : Matt Cassell Evaluation

Sn@keIze
05-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Just got done watching Kansas City Chiefs Matt Cassell on NFL replay as he played the Colts.

In this game Ive seen:

1). Matt has a good ability to scramble when all else fails, but he needs to learn to go knees first or hes going to get hurt.

2). He will look off Safeties to get a wide out more open.

3). A lot of his yards come from throwing to a reciever and letting him do the work ( at least in this game ). But with a Wes Welker, thats a no-brainer.

4). I love his pocket presence. He is aware of his drops and even in shotgun goes back into the pocket. Although at times he seems too anxious or figety, you can tell hes been sacked a lot.

5). He will rely on his recievers and throw the ball up there and let the recievers and DBs play keepaway. Most of the times in this game for not. Which is why is really sucks that we dont have TG.

6). Not impressed by his "comeback at the end of the game" ability (at least not in this game). A lot of it to do with #5.

This is just base on this game. And he held his own against a former championship team with a lot of talent losing 18-15.

If you missed it they will re-air it again at 10:00 tonight (Sunday) and tommorow at noon (Central time). NFL network.

What do you think?

pachiefsfan
05-10-2009, 04:56 PM
i think it was his first yr starting and he played on one of the elite teams in the league, hes gonna have a hard couple of yrs with us but he will be a probowler

josh1971
05-10-2009, 09:21 PM
I think a lot of how successful he's going to be will be determined by:

a. His offensive line's ability to pass block, and especially safeguard that blind side (Mr. Albert).

b. His running game's ability to pound and grind out yards, as this will do wonders for the passing game. If they have to respect the running game, defenses have to guess what Cassell's going to do.

This is the ultimate in team sports, and so I think that Cassell's eventual success or failure with the chiefs is going to be based on the entirety of the talent around him. If he's always getting sacked and running for his life, it's going to be ugly.

On the other hand, if he's always getting 2nd or 3rd and short because of the running game, and has a big red wall protecting him? Good things for Mr. Cassell.

jb

rodu
05-11-2009, 07:51 AM
I think Cassell will have a similar year to what Trent Green had when he first came over. Green had Gonzales and nothing much else to throw to. Cassell has Bowe and nothing much to throw to

Chiefster
05-11-2009, 08:13 AM
I wish we had Joe Montana for a QB's coach; he was a master at placing the ball so that only the receiver had a shot at catching it.

Three7s
05-11-2009, 09:25 AM
For Cassel to succeed, Bowe is really gonna have to show up and stop dropping balls.

honda522
05-11-2009, 10:08 AM
I think we shouldn't evaluate him until after he has played in a red and gold jersey.

Chiefster
05-11-2009, 12:54 PM
I think we shouldn't evaluate him until after he has played in a red and gold jersey.

Yup, I think that the "wait and see" philosophy is in order. IMO

Vanilla Garilla
05-11-2009, 11:33 PM
Here is a good scouting report of him under pressure...

YouTube - Matt Cassel 2008 Tribute

Sn@keIze
05-12-2009, 02:59 AM

Yup, I think that the "wait and see" philosophy is in order. IMO

This is the guy we've got and here are his traits.

I would appreciate any scouting anybody has on Matt Cassell thus far.

I dont care if its with the Patriots. I WANT TO KNOW!

Thanks.

AussieChiefsFan
05-12-2009, 04:56 AM
To sum up my opinion; I thik=nk he will be a great addition to our beloved team and he is another piece to the Kansas City Chiefs puzzle!*

*It's like my motto. :D

pbatrucker
05-12-2009, 04:56 AM

Thanks.
Then get off your butt and find what you want to see. As far as evaluating Cassel, it's amute point until we see him play for the Chiefs.
Now if your just curious as to what his game looks like go watch some NFL film archives.
:11:

AussieChiefsFan
05-12-2009, 05:00 AM
Then get off your butt and find what you want to see. As far as evaluating Cassel, it's amute point until we see him play for the Chiefs.
Now if your just curious as to what his game looks like go watch some NFL film archives.
:11:Like the ones that VG posted?

YouTube - Matt Cassel 2008 Tribute (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ctvPzDMfp0)

Sn@keIze
05-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Thats what Ive been doing Sherlock.

brish
05-12-2009, 04:06 PM

YouTube - Matt Cassel 2008 Tribute (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ctvPzDMfp0)

it's pretty hard NOT to get excited about this guy, after watching those hi-lights. I did my own scouting by watching a few NE games from last year. One early on and one later in the season. I posted it on here somewhere, but the main points of it were that I liked what I see.
Man he can really put some eat on it huh? :D

Vanilla Garilla
05-12-2009, 05:19 PM
it's pretty hard NOT to get excited about this guy, after watching those hi-lights. I did my own scouting by watching a few NE games from last year. One early on and one later in the season. I posted it on here somewhere, but the main points of it were that I liked what I see.
Man he can really put some eat on it huh? :D

Yeah Ive watched those highlights Ive posted a few times, and each time it just gets better. We can see clearly that he had constant pressure in those highlights, and he is a PLAYMAKER!!! I am so excited to see what him and Bowe do this year.

brish
05-13-2009, 02:18 AM
Im kind of anxious to see how Haley plans to utilize Charles and Cottam too. I hope the other receivers step up, cause as good as i think Bowe is, he is not quite Fitzgerald.. I would hate to see him double covered all next season, because he is the only threat on passing downs.

Edit: Oh and the reason i mentioned Charles is that I think he was used too little last season, he has playmaker ability..

pbatrucker
05-13-2009, 04:32 AM
Im kind of anxious to see how Haley plans to utilize Charles and Cottam too. I hope the other receivers step up, cause as good as i think Bowe is, he is not quite Fitzgerald.. I would hate to see him double covered all next season, because he is the only threat on passing downs.

Edit: Oh and the reason i mentioned Charles is that I think he was used too little last season, he has playmaker ability..

Cottom will be primarily a blocker, with 1-2 catches per game. Bradley has the capability for 50-70 receptions. Engram might be old, but he's not dog meat. Defense will have to cover him and I believe he is going to be the slot receiver. Yes, Charles should be utilized on 3rd down .

windwalker
05-13-2009, 06:56 AM
Interesting thread. You almost could change Cassel to Thigpen in every post and it would read the same.

brish
05-13-2009, 07:05 AM
What the hell does that mean anyway?

Sure they are both quaterbacks, but from what I have seen so far, Cassel is the better choice - hands down..

That doesn't mean I don't like Thigpen, but Cassel is slightly better in virtually every category. Furthermore i've heard he is one of the hardest workers out there.

Back to the point, this thread is about Cassel not thigpen.

Pro_Angler
05-14-2009, 12:43 PM
I think after watching the 2 vids of Matt and Thig that Matt is a bit faster then Thig... What i would give to have a young Priest holmes type back in this new offense...A RB that can catch the ball outa the back field like LT in his day and priest.

Sn@keIze
05-31-2009, 04:12 AM
To whom it may concern:

Check out our QB Matt Cassell on NFL network today(Sunday, May 31st)at 3:30 p.m. and 11:30p.m. central time as he lights up the Dolphins with 415 passing yards, 3 TDs and one pick.

Your evaluations to his performance on this game are welcome.

Chiefster
06-01-2009, 07:46 PM

Thanks.

I'm sorry, I didn't read anywhere in your original post where you where looking for any scouting. You asked what I/we thought, I told you.

Thank you.

billb40
06-01-2009, 08:41 PM
You guys we can speculate all we want but the only thing that matters is how he will play with the team he is with now. The 2009 Chiefs and the 2008 Patriots are entirely different. From what I have seen Mark will be an improvement on what we had last year. After all he has been seen one of the best play and has learned from him so that is a big advantage. We hope and pray he is the next JM or close but that remains to be seen.

Sn@keIze
06-02-2009, 12:22 AM
I'm sorry, I didn't read anywhere in your original post where you where looking for any scouting. .The name of the thread is "Matt Cassell Evaluation."

Pretty self explanatory .

And who says it has to be in the original post. Can I not add further suggestions?

Im just referring to what people may have seen in the recent games the NFL re-aired pertaining to Matt Cassell performance.

Out of this Dolphins games Ive seen a lot of toughness. He was sacked and knocked on his arse and harrassed, limpin around and still mustered up 415 yards.

Sn@keIze
06-02-2009, 12:41 AM
You guys we can speculate all we want but the only thing that matters is how he will play with the team he is with now. The 2009 Chiefs and the 2008 Patriots are entirely different. From what I have seen Mark will be an improvement on what we had last year. After all he has been seen one of the best play and has learned from him so that is a big advantage. We hope and pray he is the next JM or close but that remains to be seen.
Thats true. But one interesting thing to keep in mind is (I believe) Matt Cassell was sacked/hurried most in the NFL. Still produced good #s.

Believe it or not. O-line protection may be a step up here! But then again, had we had one QB throughout the season, he may have been sacked more.

Still, being a proven player at NFL level speaks a lot.

Chiefster
06-02-2009, 10:49 PM
The name of the thread is "Matt Cassell Evaluation."

Pretty self explanatory .

And who says it has to be in the original post. Can I not add further suggestions?

Im just referring to what people may have seen in the recent games the NFL re-aired pertaining to Matt Cassell performance.

Out of this Dolphins games Ive seen a lot of toughness. He was sacked and knocked on his arse and harrassed, limpin around and still mustered up 415 yards.

It's your thread; you can do whatever you want with it, but even the title doesn't suggest that you're looking for scouting regardless of how "self explanatory" you believe it to be. I simply was telling you what I thought.