PDA

View Full Version : They say AFC west wide open...except for the chiefs??

Pro_Angler
05-10-2009, 08:53 PM
AFC West Preview: A Wide-Open Division—Except for the Chiefs | Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/171863-afc-west-is-winnable-but-probably-not-for-kc)

What a retard... discuss..

jmlamerson
05-10-2009, 09:03 PM
AFC West Preview: A Wide-Open Division—Except for the Chiefs | Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/171863-afc-west-is-winnable-but-probably-not-for-kc)

Yeah, he's an idiot.

(1) I'd be shocked if the Chargers didn't win at least 12 games and make a serious post-season push. Everyone forgets how good they've been under Norv in the post-season, and they have a decently easy schedule this season.

(2) I'd be shocked if the Broncos didn't lose at least 12 games and get McDaniels fired.

(3) I think the Chiefs and Raiders each win between 6-9 games. Both are young(ish) teams and will claim a moral victory.

The Chiefs are a young team with a new QB, HC, and DC, and tons of new personnel. The playoffs are a possiblity at 9-7, which I see as the upper limit of our wins this year. Which is OK. We're building this team from the ground up. If we get six wins, Cassel looks like a franchise QB, and the defense shows adequacy in the 3-4, this season is a success.

josh1971
05-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Oh boy....

This is still more-or-less the team that won just six games the last two seasons combined

Um, no... not really. I would think that the complete overhaul of coaches, and the drastic change in defensive scheme would be different enough, but hey- we'll have no TG, a different starting QB, and a different offensive scheme as well. So... not the same team.

Cassel won’t have the services of what would have been his best target, perennial Pro Bowl tight end Tony Gonzalez. Gonzo is gone to the Falcons, and in his stead will be Brad Cottam, who had seven catches for 63 yards last season. By comparison, Gonzalez had five games with seven or more catches last season, and seven games with at least 63 yards.

You don't think that maybe Cottam's season reflected an average game for TG because... Cottam didn't play nearly as much or get thrown to as often as TG, do ya? Granted, Cottam is probably not as good as TG, but I'm guess if he'd started all 16 games last year, he'd have been thrown to a lot.

I also think Thigpen was much more than a "fun player and great story". He had more TDs than Ints, an impressive rushing average over 6 yds per carry, only lost 2 fumbles, and in a season of futility, was one of the bright spots.

This guy at least did acknowledge that the Raiders have no chance in the division.

JB

honda522
05-10-2009, 09:06 PM
BS, I think only the Chiefs and Chargers will be battling for the division title.

pbatrucker
05-10-2009, 09:21 PM
The only thing he had right was how bad we were last year. He didn't mention how many games we lost due to bad coaching or that the defensive scheme we played didn't come close to utilizing our players according to their strengths.He didn't mention all the additions on offense or defense. Fact we lost TG, but on the flip side Cottom is going to be another blocker instead of running patterns every play.
Last he didn't mention it's a long time til the season begins and that there will probably be more players signed.
The Chargers have to be the favorites in the AFC West, but history dictates that usually doesn't mean too much.
GO CHIEFS!!!

Vandelay
05-10-2009, 10:11 PM
This guy is a moron. The same team as last year? WTF? And after an entire column of telling us how bad the Chiefs will suck this year, he tries to cover his a$$ by saying "who knows maybe they could win the division."

Pro_Angler
05-10-2009, 10:16 PM
yea he is a douche.. Cottam IMO will be a great asset. I think LJ will get 1300+ yds and Bowe will be over 1000 and 13 td's. I know we arent the 07 Chiefs, heck even they had so many close games we could have easily been 11-5.

chief31
05-10-2009, 10:59 PM
Here's the actual article...

It’s too bad that the Chiefs are mired in rebuilding mode this year, of all years. Because if ever the AFC West looked ripe for the taking, it’s in 2009.

Now, there is some optimism surrounding the 2009 Chiefs. After all, there is a new general manager, a new coach, a new quarterback, a new 3-4 scheme, a newly-renovated stadium, the list goes on. It’s not too difficult to convince yourself that KC has a legit shot at the AFC West.

But there’s a fine line between convincing yourself and fooling yourself. Because for all that is new, the results will probably resemble—at least a little bit—what Kansas City fans have seen the past couple of years; a lot of mistakes, a lot of losses, a lot of looking wistfully at the past and eagerly to the future.
This is still more-or-less the team that won just six games the last two seasons combined, a team that in 2008 ranked 31st in total defense, 29th in scoring defense, 24th in total offense and 26th in scoring offense.
And they were dead last in unbelievable losses: the Chiefs lost to Carolina 34-0. They blew a 24-3 lead against the Bucs at home. They even botched an onside kick that cost them a game.

Yeah, the Chiefs could pull a Miami Dolphins and have a stunning turnaround. But it’s hard to believe, after witnessing the last few years, that the pieces are there to make a drastic turnaround.

What’s worse than Arrowhead Nation suffering through another dismal season—should that be the case—is that the AFC West is the NFL’s version of John McCain’s veepstakes. Anyone could win.
The division champs last year, San Diego, had a measly 8-8 record, and they were downright lucky in a few of those games. Denver, which came in second, seems to have taken a step back this offseason in order to get better in the future, even though dealing a franchise QB is an atypical way to build for the future.
And Oakland, well, they’re more of a mess than a one-year-old eating spaghetti.
But who knows. Maybe the Chiefs will make a stab at the division title; it is certainly there for the taking. Now, a team-by-team look at how winnable the AFC West is.And here is the second part. He does each team, and discusses their likelihood of winning The AFC West. I've only included the Chiefs section...

Kansas City
The Miami Dolphins went from 1-15 in 2007 to 11-5 last season, and the Atlanta Falcons went from 4-12 to 11-5. So, recent NFL history proves that seemingly unthinkable turnarounds are possible.

Still, Chiefs fans shouldn’t hold their breath.

The defense in 2008 was bad, historically bad actually. That unit set an NFL record for fewest sacks in a season with just ten. Former GM Carl Peterson traded away Jared Allen after the 2007 season, and while Allen sacked his way to the Pro Bowl with Minnesota, the Chiefs were left pillow-fighting on D all year. They finished at least seven sacks behind every other NFL team, and 4.5 behind Allen alone.

Some changes have been made, namely the addition of linebackers Zack Thomas and Mike Vrabel, who combined for 156 tackles last season. The Chiefs were the youngest team in the NFL last season, and second-year starters like Brandon Carr, Brandon Flowers and Glenn Dorsey will be a year improved.
However, even with the additions of Vrabel and Thomas—who are solid but ancient—it would be a stunner if the Chiefs D is suddenly a strength.
The offense gained a lot and lost a lot. The addition of Matt Cassel, who threw for 3,693 yards and 21 TDs last season, should be an upgrade from Tyler Thigpen, a fun player and great story, but nonetheless a guy who completed just 54 percent of his passes and made a habit of red-zone interceptions.
Cassel won’t have the services of what would have been his best target, perennial Pro Bowl tight end Tony Gonzalez. Gonzo is gone to the Falcons, and in his stead will be Brad Cottam, who had seven catches for 63 yards last season. By comparison, Gonzalez had five games with seven or more catches last season, and seven games with at least 63 yards.

And who knows what to expect from Larry Johnson. Is he going to be the unstoppable 1,700-yard back he was in the past? Or the law-breaking, disgruntled misfit who misses time because of injuries and court dates? The jury is still out on Johnson.I believe that he is giving The Donks a free pass on their rebuild, and The Raiders' eighth straight rebuild too.

I don't get how you can consider either of those teams as contenders, while eliminating our rebuild from the equation.

But alot of what he says here does make sense.

We have alot of new elements coming into play this season. And it is rare for a team to adapt to that many new elements immediately.

But that is a player in both The Donks and The Raiders' seasons as well.

And The Chargers have been steadily turning into Norv Turner's team. And that has been a steady decline for the past two seasons. Having lost Mike Goff probably isn't the missing piece of that puzzle for them.

I think that our division is up for grabs. COMPLETELY.

Chiefster
05-10-2009, 11:35 PM
Here's the actual article...

And here is the second part. He does each team, and discusses their likelihood of winning The AFC West. I've only included the Chiefs section...

I believe that he is giving The Donks a free pass on their rebuild, and The Raiders' eighth straight rebuild too.

I don't get how you can consider either of those teams as contenders, while eliminating our rebuild from the equation.

But alot of what he says here does make sense.

We have alot of new elements coming into play this season. And it is rare for a team to adapt to that many new elements immediately.

But that is a player in both The Donks and The Raiders' seasons as well.

And The Chargers have been steadily turning into Norv Turner's team. And that has been a steady decline for the past two seasons. Having lost Mike Goff probably isn't the missing piece of that puzzle for them.

I think that our division is up for grabs. COMPLETELY.

I pay little attention to the so called "experts".

josh1971
05-11-2009, 12:49 AM

I don't think he's an expert. He's contributed basically two opinion pieces, and he looks like he's 15.

Just saying...

DT14PRIEST
05-11-2009, 12:50 AM

This guy's not really an expert. I'd just give him the title "Joe Blow Surface Scratcher" he basically just summed up last season, took a few minutes to grab the nfl rankings, and call it 'the end' and make a prediction that every other analyst and 'expert' has made: "getting good but not good enough".

I'm not going to say the Chiefs will have a MIA or ATL season (though I already have and am sticking by my guns) but you cannot discredit the Chiefs entirely from a potential contender, especially in the AFC West.

Yes SD is stacked but they always (since Norv came to) find a way to be underwhelming, winning by the skin of their teeth in most games.

Denver + McDaniels =/= Success, I think everyone everywhere realized that the minute the Cutler fiasco came to light.

The Raiders haven't done anything this off season. Al Davis is still Al Davis and until something drastic changes in Oakland there is little room for optimism.

okikcfan
05-11-2009, 02:46 AM
5 words-He Can Kiss My A**!

Three7s
05-11-2009, 06:45 AM
This is the type of guy who will never ever predict a surprise season. He just goes with what's going right now in the NFL and if a team does surprise, then he'll be on board next season. I hate writers like this.

Chiefster
05-11-2009, 08:15 AM
I don't think he's an expert. He's contributed basically two opinion pieces, and he looks like he's 15.

Just saying...

Yeah, I propably would have picked up on that had I paid attention. :D

Pro_Angler
05-11-2009, 10:28 AM
I (and I am not lying) had a dream last night that the chiefs with 4 games left had 9 wins and was leading out division and third best record in the league....

honda522
05-11-2009, 10:31 AM
I (and I am not lying) had a dream last night that the chiefs with 4 games left had 9 wins and was leading out division and third best record in the league....
9 wins is really not out of reach for KC.

N TX Dave
05-11-2009, 11:13 AM

Just saying...

You all know what an expert is don't you? A has been drip under pressure as in ex-spurt. So maybe he is an expert after all.
:toast2:

OPLookn
05-11-2009, 01:11 PM
That's kind of funny, he says we've got a whole slew of changes and then goes on to say but hey, nothing much has changed...but I suppose they could win the division. Wow, flip floping three times in a couple of paragraphs! Color me impressed.

KristofLaw
05-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Who exactly are the 'they' he credits in the title... his folks, his pals... what's dude's affiliations, they seem to be with the Chargers.

I've heard mainly decent to good evaluations regarding our off-season thus far.

partysan
05-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Wait, who is this guy? A teenage couch coach that joined that site 3 days ago. That's all I need to know, thanks.

AkChief49
05-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Wow, did this guy even watch any games last year? yes we lost 14, but how many did we lose by 7 or less? being the youngest team last year and now this year infused with a little leadership...9 wins is not unreachable, I'll go for 16 until we lose the first one!

wichitaj
05-11-2009, 05:59 PM
So are we rebuilding, or are we rebuilt? I guess time will tell??

PawnshopMarimba
05-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Wow, did this guy even watch any games last year? yes we lost 14, but how many did we lose by 7 or less? being the youngest team last year and now this year infused with a little leadership...9 wins is not unreachable, I'll go for 16 until we lose the first one!

Good point. And how many of those close losses were due to mind-numbingly dumb play calling?

Bosco
05-11-2009, 09:46 PM
amen to the play calling. I think we can win the div.:yahoo:

Guru
05-11-2009, 11:48 PM
Damn, this guy made me look like an eternal optimist.:lol: Even I feel better about the Chiefs chances at being competitive this year. hell, they were technically competitive last year. Just kept falling short of the stick.

Chiefster
05-12-2009, 12:09 AM
It's a Guru sighting!!!

AussieChiefsFan
05-12-2009, 02:20 AM

:bananen_smilies046:

DallasChief
05-12-2009, 12:12 PM
And Mike Florio says you can forget about Denver and maybe San Diego.

3. San Diego Chargers

Last year, the San Diego Chargers needed a miracle to capture the watered-down AFC West and make it to the playoffs.

This year, lightning might not strike again.

On paper, the Chargers have the talent. But questions persist regarding whether Norv Turner is the right man for this or any NFL head-coaching job.

So even with Philip Rivers(notes), LaDainian Tomlinson(notes), Darren Sproles(notes) and a healthy Shawne Merriman(notes) and a healthy Jyles Tucker(notes) and a rookie first-rounder who does the same thing that both of them do, it might not be enough to make it four straight division titles in a wide-open AFC West featuring teams in Kansas City and Oakland that might be more dangerous than expected. (We can forget about the Broncos.)
Six NFL playoff teams that might not make it back - NFL - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=sixnflplayoffteamsthatmi&prov=tsn&type=lgns)

pbatrucker
05-12-2009, 04:13 PM
And Mike Florio says you can forget about Denver and maybe San Diego.

Six NFL playoff teams that might not make it back - NFL - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=sixnflplayoffteamsthatmi&prov=tsn&type=lgns)

That was a good read. made alot more sense than that other idiot.
:11:

Chiefster
05-13-2009, 12:43 AM
That was a good read. made alot more sense than that other idiot.
:11:

You have just insulted idiots everywhere. :11:

hermhater
05-17-2009, 11:09 PM
We're gonna rock this division!!!

josh1971
05-18-2009, 03:24 PM
You sure he is 15? Aussie is only 12 and I would be willing to bet he can make better predictions and a better write up than this jacka$$.

Well, I was going off the photo, but he may be 9, or 11, or whatever.

I'm pretty sure Aussie could write up something better as well. :bananen_smilies046:

JB