PDA

View Full Version : Counting us out

Vanilla Garilla
05-20-2009, 11:59 AM
I was just thinking about how every "NFL analyst" is counting us out this year. I don't know what these guys are smoking, or what bias they have against the Chiefs, but most of them have us in the power rankings right around 30. Are you freaking kidding me people, we have had such a overall roster upgrade, and yet you people feel were gonna be the laughing stock of the AFC again?

Give me a freaking break, I guess most of you analysts will just have to eat your own words come this fall now wont you. Oh that's right, they will probably just hop on the bandwagon and say they had an inkling that KC might turn it around like the Falcons and Dolphins of last year.

pbatrucker
05-20-2009, 01:00 PM
I agree in that there is no way we are as bad as the so called experts seem to think. But we still have a lot of question marks. The overall rebuild will probably take three of four years, IMO
:11:

jmlamerson
05-20-2009, 01:48 PM
I was just thinking about how every "NFL analyst" is counting us out this year. I don't know what these guys are smoking, or what bias they have against the Chiefs, but most of them have us in the power rankings right around 30. Are you freaking kidding me people, we have had such a overall roster upgrade, and yet you people feel were gonna be the laughing stock of the AFC again?

Give me a freaking break, I guess most of you analysts will just have to eat your own words come this fall now wont you. Oh that's right, they will probably just hop on the bandwagon and say they had an inkling that KC might turn it around like the Falcons and Dolphins of last year.

When your smaller-market team wins 6 games over the past two seasons, you tend to get disrespect from analysts.

The Chiefs are building this team from the ground up, and they're doing it without the flashy big-dollar signings that doom the likes of the Jets and Redskins to perpetual mediocrity. We're going to be disrespected until we put a eight win season together. Then we'll be the next big thing.

twhite85
05-20-2009, 02:21 PM
As much as I love my Chiefs, we brought this on ourselves. Winning 6 games in two years isn't the best way to instill confidence in your team (especially from the media).

That being said, we should be a better team next year, but I agree with PBATrucker in the fact that we're probably looking at a 3 or 4 year long process before we can start talking about a run deep into the playoffs.

Sn@keIze
05-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Writers and Analyst always play it safe. They always go off the previous year even tho only half the teams make it to the playoffs again.

I dont think its going to be another 3 or 4 years. We went through our growing pains. The time is now. This a year a contender and next year the SB.

Vanilla Garilla
05-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Well anyone of us are analysts. We analyze football teams, games, stats, and the sport in general. So when we see a bad team, making signifigant moves in the right direction, our normal tendency is to assume they will be a better team. I am just not seeing that when it comes to the Chiefs, most of them have us pegged exactly as we were last year.

I like it though, that means that we can shock the sports world when we go out and tear it up. Our young players are getting older, and getting more experience, its bound to show on the field.

Chiefster
05-20-2009, 04:14 PM
I pay no attention to the "analysts", they base their predictions on last season's performance; which I agree is stupid.

Chief Tyler
05-20-2009, 05:57 PM

Fans tend to look at their team a little more optimistically than non-fans (they research it more too in many cases). Non-fans develop their opinions from statistics, game highlights and commentary from an ESPN crew designed to appeal to the casual fan. From just that they see a team who spent a 2nd round pick on a shotgun QB when they already had one. They drafted a 9-12 talent with the 3rd overall when St. Curry, the best LB ever to play the game without stepping foot on the field was still available. They're throwing away the last few years of drafts to switch over to a new defensive scheme. They traded away a pro-bowl tight end with no compensation for the upcoming season and have signed cheap, washed up vets with no effort at going after big names like Lewis, Canty or Scott.

If that were the whole story, those are a lot of reasons to be pessimistic, but it's not the whole story, it's just the story that most people choose to see. They don't take into consideration developing team chemistry, a mix of veteran experience with still maleable youth, a cap situation that allows for multiple long term solutions, and they don't trust the wisdom of the team brass because the ESPN (people who have those analyst jobs because they couldn't make it in the NFL) idiocy is deafing in comparison. In the end though, the reasons to be optimistic in KC don't make as good a story as another potential 2-14 season.

Three7s
05-20-2009, 07:20 PM
Writers and Analyst always play it safe. They always go off the previous year even tho only half the teams make it to the playoffs again.

I dont think its going to be another 3 or 4 years. We went through our growing pains. The time is now. This a year a contender and next year the SB.
I strongly agree about the analysts, which is why I'm more inclined to listen to them after the season is rolling along and all of the teams are pretty well set as far as good or bad.

I'll have to disagree on being competitive, however. I just can't see us winning much more than 6 games. I think we can make a playoff run in 2010.

northwest
05-20-2009, 08:15 PM
writers always pick the easy route.

Vandelay
05-20-2009, 08:32 PM
I strongly agree about the analysts, which is why I'm more inclined to listen to them after the season is rolling along and all of the teams are pretty well set as far as good or bad.

I'll have to disagree on being competitive, however. I just can't see us winning much more than 6 games. I think we can make a playoff run in 2010.
We were competitive last year, we could have won six games if we had even decent coaches, and the team is much improved for this season.

2009 AFC West champs.

Sn@keIze
05-20-2009, 08:47 PM
I know its hard to see when you only win two games.

But as as Vandelay pointed out, think about the Bucs game, both of the Chargers games (who keep in mind won the division). And what about the Jets game, Herm runs it 3 straight predictable times to give it back to Favre!

In your defense. Yes there were games that shown we didnt belong on the same field in any aspect. Especially run D(Titans, Falcs).

You throw in the fact that this division is as weak as I can remember. I mean look how horrible we were last year. yet we werent mathimatically eleminated till like week 12 (or so it seems like). making the playoffs isn't as crazy as it sounds.

Three7s
05-20-2009, 09:15 PM
I know its hard to see when you only win two games.

But as as Vandelay pointed out, think about the Bucs game, both of the Chargers games (who keep in mind won the division). And what about the Jets game, Herm runs it 3 straight predictable times to give it back to Favre!

In your defense. Yes there were games that shown we didnt belong on the same field in any aspect. Especially run D(Titans, Falcs).

You throw in the fact that this division is as weak as I can remember. I mean look how horrible we were last year. yet we werent mathimatically eleminated till like week 12 (or so it seems like). making the playoffs isn't as crazy as it sounds.
Oh, I know anything could happen, I'm just trying to stay realistic, it'd make me much happier to be surprised by a great team!

The biggest reason I don't think we'll be competitive is the exact reason for why we lost all of those close games. I don't think our defense has improved enough to win a dramatic amount more. If it has, then yes, we have a legitimate shot.

Vandelay
05-20-2009, 09:20 PM
Oh, I know anything could happen, I'm just trying to stay realistic, it'd make me much happier to be surprised by a great team!

The biggest reason I don't think we'll be competitive is the exact reason for why we lost all of those close games. I don't think our defense has improved enough to win a dramatic amount more. If it has, then yes, we have a legitimate shot.
I think our defense improved greatly when the cover 2 went bye-bye with Herm.

Bosco
05-20-2009, 09:47 PM
oh yeah AFC west champ for sure!:yahoo:

AussieChiefsFan
05-21-2009, 04:13 AM
oh yeah AFC west champs for sure!:yahoo::bananen_smilies046:

jb908
05-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Young Defense will be greatly improved this year, but I don't see the offense putting up to many points this year. Without Tony to rely on catching passes I bet they struggle so much Thigpen will be playing by game 5 just for a hope. 5 or 6 win season tops. Sorry to say just getting my opinion out there before the season starts.

*The only way I am wrong is if LJ gets his act together and finds a way to put up 1500+ this year.

wichitaj
05-21-2009, 12:21 PM

I'm glad to hear this, i just put $25 down on them to win it all in this year in vegas. Good news for a nutty gambler like me. keep the odds good, and the chiefs better !!

josh1971
05-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Young Defense will be greatly improved this year, but I don't see the offense putting up to many points this year. Without Tony to rely on catching passes I bet they struggle so much Thigpen will be playing by game 5 just for a hope. 5 or 6 win season tops. Sorry to say just getting my opinion out there before the season starts.

*The only way I am wrong is if LJ gets his act together and finds a way to put up 1500+ this year.

The only way you're wrong?

Suppose Cassell finds Bowe to be a stupendous target to throw to, and they light it up for 300+ yards a game. Suppose the O-line gels enough so that Cassell is able to take his time and pick defenses apart.

There are any number of things that could make your theory wrong- not simply if LJ breaks out (which I hope he does).

jb

Vanilla Garilla
05-21-2009, 08:53 PM
The only way you're wrong?

Suppose Cassell finds Bowe to be a stupendous target to throw to, and they light it up for 300+ yards a game. Suppose the O-line gels enough so that Cassell is able to take his time and pick defenses apart.

There are any number of things that could make your theory wrong- not simply if LJ breaks out (which I hope he does).

jb

Exactly, well freaking said. Rep added:bananen_smilies046:

KCOUTLAW
05-21-2009, 09:58 PM
After reading Chief Tylers take- I would say end of discussion. Well done.

Xeticus
06-01-2009, 11:18 PM
I understand how you guys feel. My Dolphins after winning their division last year and having one of the best turnarounds ever still get no respect. A lot of analysts are expecting us to be behind the Jets and the Bills this year. We swept the Bills last year and beat the Jets to take the division.

Here's the good news for Chiefs fans. When my dolphins went 1-15 we had good players but the coaching brought us down. When we switched coaches, cleaned out his crappy picks and refocused we had a huge turnaround. The Chiefs can do the same.

Also you're in a divison with Al Davis' Raiders and a McDaniel's led Broncos. You guys had a great offseason and picked up some talent. You guys have an opportunity to seriously make waves this year. GL Chiefs.

P.S. I just remembered you guys just stocked up on defense and picked up some great 3-4 vets in Zach Thomas and Mike Vrabel. Zach is one of the most popular Dolphins ever and a legend in the miami area. He and Vrabel are both real team players and leaders. I think you guys are going to smack the ever lasting crap out of some QB's in your division. I was just looking at your offseason moves on Walterfootball and I think I'm going to have to catch some Chiefs games this year!

AussieChiefsFan
06-02-2009, 01:59 AM

Yeah, they annoy me out of my wits too!! AAGHH!

Northcountry68
06-02-2009, 11:49 PM
I do know I'm excited to see what happens. I know at least the Chiefs will be competitive. If the oline can gel and play well a division title is not out of the question. The chargers are getting older, the broncos have a major question mark at qb and a suspect defense and the raiders are the raiders. I think the Chiefs have better chance then "experts" are saying.

Chiefster
06-03-2009, 12:20 AM
Yahoo Sports has the Chargers taking the AFC West with an 11-5 record while the Raiders, Chiefs and then Denver come in second, third and fourth respectively all sporting the same 5-11 win/loss record. :rolleyes:

DT14PRIEST
06-03-2009, 01:11 AM
Yahoo Sports has the Chargers taking the AFC West with an 11-5 record while the Raiders, Chiefs and then Denver come in second, third and fourth respectively all sporting the same 5-11 win/loss record. :rolleyes:

That's what you call a 'brain dead' assessment; taking the easy way out; not even trying etc...

Xeticus
06-05-2009, 05:22 AM
I think the Chiefs are definitely better than the Raiders. The Broncos have lots of question marks. McDaniels has made some very questionable moves. There's no way of predicting what the Broncos will look like. They could be really good or really bad. The Chiefs at the very least will have a much improved defense. That at least should make them competitive if nothing else. At least this year the chiefs have a real chance to win the division.

AussieChiefsFan
06-05-2009, 05:30 AM
I think the Chiefs are definitely better than the Raiders. The Broncos have lots of question marks. McDaniels has made some very questionable moves. There's no way of predicting what the Broncos will look like. They could be really good or really bad. The Chiefs at the very least will have a much improved defense. That at least should make them competitive if nothing else. At least this year the chiefs have a real chance to win the division.Which has been the case since the AFL began!:bananen_smilies046:

pbatrucker
06-05-2009, 05:55 AM
I am thrilled with the progress the Chiefs are making.
The problem Pendegrast had in Arizona was a lack of speed on the defense. He choose to cover this up by playing a lot of schemes. They never really became good at any one scheme. Under Pioli I believe the Chiefs will play a limited number of schemes and get good at those schemes. We don't have the speed to be really good at playing the 3=4, but we will make teams work for every point they get. We are still going to give up a big play every once in awhile but will be real tough in the red zone. It will take a couple of drafts to acquire that team speed we need, But will be better each year.
:11:

Chiefster
06-05-2009, 10:47 AM
That's what you call a 'brain dead' assessment; taking the easy way out; not even trying etc...

Yup, I couldn't believe that they had the Chiefs, Donks and Faders all at 5-11.