PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR !!!!! From another Forum

YZILLA
06-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Jack Monahan, a local sports reporter here in St. Joseph, just said locally on sports radio here that Tom Condon is currently in discussions with the Chiefs on bringing in Marvin Harrison. They are discussing a base one year, $800K deal. If Harrison catches 50 passes or suits up for 12 games, the value of the contract would increase up to $3 million.

Big Daddy Tek
06-03-2009, 11:42 PM
Nice job with the quick news. Way to be on top of it. Thanx

Chiefster
06-04-2009, 12:03 AM
It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

AussieChiefsFan
06-04-2009, 01:47 AM
Sounds exciting!

chief31
06-04-2009, 02:13 AM
That is quite the tasty tid-bit. Thanks for sharing.

I would be very happy to see his happen.

Three7s
06-04-2009, 03:13 AM
I could accept that deal. This means that when he gets injured we won't have to pay him as much!

brish
06-04-2009, 04:36 AM
Would be interresting to say the least, smart way to make sure you get your money's worth.. :)

pbatrucker
06-04-2009, 05:20 AM
emmm! Very interresting!!! It would add some quality depth at WR.

chiefnut
06-04-2009, 08:54 AM
i'm sure we'd know by preseason if he still has enuf left to contribute

DMN
06-04-2009, 09:12 AM
Very interesting. I say go for it if we can. Why not? We have plenty of cap space. I think this guy can still contribute. Manning had plenty of other weapons in Wayne, Clark, and Gonzalez so it is understandable the guy saw a decline in numbers... not to mention the injuries. It makes sense if even just adding another legitimate threat. I really want to see Cottam succeed, and with Bowe, Bradley, Engram, and Harrison we would have a very solid WR corps... This could be good!

Vanilla Garilla
06-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Rumor or not, this makes me a bit happier today. I would love to sign Marvin to a one year deal, especially to the terms listed in the post.

dbolan
06-04-2009, 10:16 AM
This would be a good pick-up for the value while giving some of our younger guys a little more time to develop.

Coach
06-04-2009, 11:29 AM
I could accept that deal. This means that when he gets injured we won't have to pay him as much!
You are really going out on a limb. Dorsey is hurt, so are.a bunch of other young players. Its the NFL, people get hurt.
I really don't care what we pay him. It isn't like we are cash strapped against the cap. I think Marvin Harrison makes this team better immediately. I want any player that makes this team better. I fully support this move and believe that a Bowe-Harrison-Engram tandem would be a Top 10 WR tandem in the NFL this year. Probably the best WR tandem we have had in KC for as long as I've been a Chiefs fan.

jmlamerson
06-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Very interesting. I say go for it if we can. Why not? We have plenty of cap space. I think this guy can still contribute. Manning had plenty of other weapons in Wayne, Clark, and Gonzalez so it is understandable the guy saw a decline in numbers... not to mention the injuries. It makes sense if even just adding another legitimate threat. I really want to see Cottam succeed, and with Bowe, Bradley, Engram, and Harrison we would have a very solid WR corps... This could be good!

Exactly right. This would be a deal with no downside. Except one. It shows that the new regime does not have that much faith in Bradley to be a legitimate 2WR.

I think we're going to see a lot of single-back 3WR and 4WR sets this season. I don't think you're going to see Cottam get a ton of non-red zone work this year at least.

Ridzic
06-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Sound like a good way to see if he will produce.

yashi
06-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Exactly right. This would be a deal with no downside. Except one. It shows that the new regime does not have that much faith in Bradley to be a legitimate 2WR.

or faith in Bradley staying healthy, which nobody should have any faith in really.

Three7s
06-04-2009, 03:26 PM
You are really going out on a limb. Dorsey is hurt, so are.a bunch of other young players. Its the NFL, people get hurt.
I really don't care what we pay him. It isn't like we are cash strapped against the cap. I think Marvin Harrison makes this team better immediately. I want any player that makes this team better. I fully support this move and believe that a Bowe-Harrison-Engram tandem would be a Top 10 WR tandem in the NFL this year. Probably the best WR tandem we have had in KC for as long as I've been a Chiefs fan.
You forget, this is how the Chiefs got into some trouble before. By signing old and aging players well past their prime. Before you knew it, the Chiefs had one of the oldest teams in the NFL before we blew it up and turned it into the debacle known as Herm's team.

Of course, I said I'm okay with it since it has incentives and is only for a year.

dbolan
06-04-2009, 03:38 PM
You forget, this is how the Chiefs got into some trouble before. By signing old and aging players well past their prime. Before you knew it, the Chiefs had one of the oldest teams in the NFL before we blew it up and turned it into the debacle known as Herm's team.

Of course, I said I'm okay with it since it has incentives and is only for a year.

You make a good point but that is what happens when you are tight with the cash money. lol

Eydugstr
06-04-2009, 03:54 PM
Actually this sounds like a good deal. Marvin's got a few good years left in the tank, and it would put some more fans in the stands.

I just hope our O-line works out so the WR's and TE's don't have to become full time blockers.

jmlamerson
06-04-2009, 04:20 PM

The difference between Pioli and CP is that Pioli is signing vets for a stopgap.

The Chiefs have one good player in his prime (DJ, who should be great, not good). That's it.

Going into this postseason, we had very, very young players with talent (Pollard, Albert, Flowers, Carr, Bowe, etc.). We had holdover over-the-hill vets (McIntosh, LJ, Waters, Edwards, etc.). And we had a boatload of question marks (Dorsey, Cottam, Charles, Niswanger, etc.).

We had three choices this offseason: (1) massively overpay good, not great, FAs to come to KC; (2) continue to build solely through the draft and rookie FAs; or (3) sign cheap vets to fill the spots of most immediate need, and try to build the rest of the team through the draft.

We chose (3). Which was the correct choice. Signing/trading for guys like Marvin Harrison, Vrabel, Mike Brown, Zach Thomas, Mike Goff, etc. has no long term effect on our cap. They can prevent debacles like 2008 when we had to start guys like Adrian Jones, Pat Thomas, and Rocky Boiman. We're building this team (instead of "rebuilding" it) from the ground up. How else were we supposed to do it?

KristofLaw
06-04-2009, 06:52 PM
The difference between Pioli and CP is that Pioli is signing vets for a stopgap.

The Chiefs have one good player in his prime (DJ, who should be great, not good). That's it.

Going into this postseason, we had very, very young players with talent (Pollard, Albert, Flowers, Carr, Bowe, etc.). We had holdover over-the-hill vets (McIntosh, LJ, Waters, Edwards, etc.). And we had a boatload of question marks (Dorsey, Cottam, Charles, Niswanger, etc.).

We had three choices this offseason: (1) massively overpay good, not great, FAs to come to KC; (2) continue to build solely through the draft and rookie FAs; or (3) sign cheap vets to fill the spots of most immediate need, and try to build the rest of the team through the draft.

We chose (3). Which was the correct choice. Signing/trading for guys like Marvin Harrison, Vrabel, Mike Brown, Zach Thomas, Mike Goff, etc. has no long term effect on our cap. They can prevent debacles like 2008 when we had to start guys like Adrian Jones, Pat Thomas, and Rocky Boiman. We're building this team (instead of "rebuilding" it) from the ground up. How else were we supposed to do it?

Exactly... we are not locked in to any unreasonable contracts here, and while it could be argued that we are taking a space from an up-and-comer, our guys we have signed are exactly what our youngsters need.

Seems like S.P. is following his previous mold, I noticed the comparisons between Rodney Harrison and Mike Brown in the M.Brown thread... how about the Harrison and Moss comparison, pretty cool, hope we sign them and the deals work great.

josh1971
06-07-2009, 10:42 PM
So anything more on this Marvin Harrison thing?

pbatrucker
06-08-2009, 12:58 AM
Only the norm out of the front office, nothing!!!

josh1971
06-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Only the norm out of the front office, nothing!!!

Ha! Yeah, that has become the norm, hasn't it? Kinda nice, though. Spurs discussion.

:mob:

jb

billb40
06-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Spurs rampant speculation. By another name rumors and hints.

Coach
06-09-2009, 10:59 PM

I couldn't have said it better myself. Well maybe... Great post. :toast2:

YZILLA
06-10-2009, 03:28 AM
Pretty sure it was only a rumor. haven't heard anything on it since I posted it.

pbatrucker
06-10-2009, 03:51 AM
Wilfork is unhappy with his contract with the Pats and the Pats drafted a NT. Hummmmmm, could it possibly be? Maybe a second round draft pick could land Wilfork too. Hummmmm, interesting!!!
:D

jmlamerson
06-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Wilfork is unhappy with his contract with the Pats and the Pats drafted a NT. Hummmmmm, could it possibly be? Maybe a second round draft pick could land Wilfork too. Hummmmm, interesting!!!
:D

If we got Wilfork from the Pats for a 2nd rounder, it would be one of the greatest steals in NFL history. I don't think the Pats are dumb enough to do it. I think they'll instead let Wilfork's contract run in 2009 and franchise/trade him in 2010, when Brace is a little more experienced and Wilfork is a little older.

But you're right, no harm in dreaming. With Wilfork in the center of our DL, we would probably be a playoff team.

brish
06-10-2009, 09:58 AM
But you're right, no harm in dreaming. With Wilfork in the center of our DL, we would probably be a playoff team.

I don't know about that just yet, but I sure wouldn't mind seeing him in red and gold. :bananen_smilies046:

jmlamerson
06-10-2009, 10:23 AM
I have one concern, if he does become a Chief,and I mean BIG IF, say he has a great year with us and Cassell to Harrison is a BIG deal, he gets hurt towards the last game of the year, we are in the playoffs and we lose yet another first playoff game , what will this do for the moral of the organization? We have had so many playoff hopes killed in the wildcard and even as a number one seed in the first game in, I would just hate to see it happen again. If he can stay healthy and be productive no matter what he is paid as Pioli will make sure we don't get raped, it would be great as I like the guy but I am sick and tired of getting into the playoffs and then banged out so early. 2 SB and 1 AFC Championship games in 50 years is not enough, I NEED MORE, WE NEED MORE!!!!!!

You're kidding, right? If this team stays reasonably healthy and wins six games this year, the coaching staff, ownership, players, and fans will all be happy. If we make the playoffs, they'll be thrilled, no matter the outcome (although, of course, everyone would be happier if we won).

We are building for a playoff run in 2010 and a deep playoff run in 2011. We're not giving up 2009 (ie bringing in Casey Printers at QB or anything like it), and we're going to try to win each game, but if you think that this team is SB ready, you are in for a crushingly disappointing season.

jmlamerson
06-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Oh, thats nice, you already doubt the ability of our team. Everyone said the same thing about Miami last year. I don't think we are SB ready by any means but an addition like Harrison shouldn't be made unless the guy can step in and make a difference now, not 2010 or 2011. I understand the fans basically looking and begging for a big name to be brought in but Indy didn't resign him because he isn't worth the money he was looking for and that tells me he is not gonna make an impact for us but in the case of a miracle and him and Cassell develop some type of bond and he completes 100+ catches and makes 25 TDs that would make us playoff contenders, no where did I mention SB. I just want to see us win a playoff game if we do make it, is that too much to ask for? I know you will have a ton of your wisdom to lay on me but fact is I can believe what I want to and the level of disappointment I have experienced in my 42 yrs of being a KC Chiefs fan has made me battle worthy and I can take it but, I would trade a 13 - 3 season for a playoff win any day.
By your profile you have been a Chiefs fan for 1 year, that would mean you came into the situation while we are in the worst losing period of the teams history. I was a fan when Greenbay beat the Chiefs in SB1 and when the Chiefs beat the Vikings in SB IV, I remember the bitter taste in my mouth after the Chiefs played for the AFC Championship for a SB birth and lost, please don't try to tell me how I will feel, I am well versed in what it feels like to be on all sides of the relm as a Chiefs fan. 2 words sum it up,
I BELIEVE

I've been a Chiefs fan my whole life - the one year thing is a joke. Hell, I've been on this board longer than a year.

Miami and Atlanta were expected to stink last year. They both went to the playoffs, they both promptly lost, and the fans, players, coaches, and management were thrilled. The same would hold true for the Chiefs if they went to the playoffs. No one would be crying that we were one-and-done.

You don't sign a guy like Marvin Harrison to win a SB now. Marvin Harrison is not healthy enough, nor does he have the skills anymore to be a starting WR on a SB team. He isn't catching 25 TD and setting NFL records. You sign Marvin Harrison cheaply to provide veteran leadership, to school the younger WRs, and to be a solid presence if one of your starters goes down.

We have a team with some good older talent and some good young talent. We don't have the great talent in its prime that's necessary to get to a SB.

Could we make the playoffs? Sure, 9-7 and a wild card is possible. Could we win the AFC West this year? Sure, although I'd be shocked if the Chargers don't win 12 games. Do I think either will happen? No. Our schedule (especially the first seven weeks) is tough. Our team is young and in the first year of new offensive and defensive schemes. Our HC is in his first year. The AFC is a murderer's row with the Steelers and Pats probably battling it out for the title, and the Colts, Ravens, Chargers, and Titans are still all playoff caliber teams. Not to mention up-and-comers like Miami and Houston. And we lost our #1 offensive threat in TG.

Hope away that we win the SB. But just don't be disappointed when we don't. If you waited 42 years, you can wait 43 or 44.

texaschief
06-10-2009, 02:50 PM
i didn't want to start a new thread, but i was thinking the other day...

has anyone checked up on LaVar Arrington recently? he didn't play after an accident a year ago this month and hasn't formally filed retirement papers. a buddy of mine in the DC area told me he heard Arrington say he still wanted to play. the guy is only 30 years old. he's been tagged as a free-lance type play maker. he's often out of position in a strict defense, but given the wide open nature of our new defense, i think he could be a major asset. just a thought.