PDA

View Full Version : How can you live with your parents?

honda522
06-07-2009, 12:01 AM
Seriously, I can't handle it. I don't see how I don't have high blood pressure.

My parents were gone last Sat-Mon in Chicago. On that Fri I bolted to my friends place when he invited me for dinner and swimming, so I didn't see them on Friday.

The best weekend of my life. By that I mean I have been happier than I have been in a long time.

Then they get back Monday night, and with in the first min I feel like crap again. They were already in a bad mood coming home, and then it puts me in a bad mood.

I try not let it get to me, but I always hear and see them contradicted themseleves by doing what they hate me doing and that just fires me up.

I need to move, but it won't be till 3 years when I can get my car paid off and finish school and transfer to the university.

How old were you when you moved?

AkChief49
06-07-2009, 02:00 AM
I was 18, and in no way did my parents bug me.

rbedgood
06-07-2009, 02:01 AM

My parents were gone last Sat-Mon in Chicago. On that Fri I bolted to my friends place when he invited me for dinner and swimming, so I didn't see them on Friday.

The best weekend of my life. By that I mean I have been happier than I have been in a long time.

Then they get back Monday night, and with in the first min I feel like crap again. They were already in a bad mood coming home, and then it puts me in a bad mood.

I try not let it get to me, but I always hear and see them contradicted themseleves by doing what they hate me doing and that just fires me up.

I need to move, but it won't be till 3 years when I can get my car paid off and finish school and transfer to the university.

Personally I got on great with my parents. When I graduated from college I lived with them until I got married 4 years later. I was able to sock away cash and have a nice down payment for a house which my wife and I bought when we were getting married. Escrow closed and she moved in the week before our wedding.

Vanilla Garilla
06-07-2009, 02:09 AM
My mom actually kicked me out when I was 16, she said she had it with me, so I had to get a job as a roofer and support myself through that, so I have been living without my parents for almost 10 years. It was not the idea situation to be in, but it made me that much stronger. I am putting myself through college, and paying for a new car and house, but of course I got lucky and my wife makes very good money, and I do alright where I work.

With that aside, if I was you I would live under their roof for as long as you can until you can support yourself financially, because once your on your own, you will feel stress at a level that has not been known to you before.

tornadospotter
06-07-2009, 02:19 AM
I was 18 and moved out the day after Graduation from High School. But did not move very far. My mom drove me out of the house, but I learned that Mom and Dad's house was great place to come home to, and it was always a home for the family!

Canada
06-07-2009, 09:52 AM

How do u think your parents feel? You think having your kids live at home in their 20s is a treat? And then complaining about the situation on top of it? You talk about them contradiciting themselves, yet here you sit telling us how you are staying there to get your car paid off, finish school (and I assume) pay for university. But you hate having them around. You point of view will change drasticly when you are on the parental side of the equation. :bananen_smilies046:

jmlamerson
06-07-2009, 10:46 AM

Just out of curiosity, how old are you, and do you live in KC? When you say finish school, are you taking high school or community college?

If you live in KC, you can get a decent apartment for $350/month. You could probably roommate for less. You can live on your own (albiet not well) for $700/mo. Working full-time minimum wage will get you that.

I'm just saying that if you're over 18 and you want to move out you probably can.

GlennBree
06-07-2009, 11:19 AM

OK-I'm not going to cry on anyones shoulder, but I never had the experience that you speak of. I know there are parents out there, who actually don't derserve the children they have. However, if you are simply not happy that they may have certain rules, but are basically good people, I'm not going to give you much sympathy. I lost both parents...(to seperate accidents) before I was a 2yrs. old.) Yesterday was my fathers birthday. I would give anything to be able to spend just 1 day with my parents. Sadly, I don't remember either of them, but that doesn't make the pain any better...as a matter of fact it may make it worse. I own ONE photo of my parents with myself and brothers and sisters included in it. So............with that said..........either deal with it, or depending on your age......be thankful that they allow you to stay there and finish school. They WILL NOT be around forever......and then you'll be singing a different tune.

Vanilla Garilla
06-07-2009, 11:23 AM
OK-I'm not going to cry on anyones shoulder, but I never had the experience that you speak of. I know there are parents out there, who actually don't derserve the children they have. However, if you are simply not happy that they may have certain rules, but are basically good people, I'm not going to give you much sympathy. I lost both parents...(to seperate accidents) before I was a 2yrs. old.) Yesterday was my fathers birthday. I would give anything to be able to spend just 1 day with my parents. Sadly, I don't remember either of them, but that doesn't make the pain any better...as a matter of fact it may make it worse. I own ONE photo of my parents with myself and brothers and sisters included in it. So............with that said..........either deal with it, or depending on your age......be thankful that they allow you to stay there and finish school. They WILL NOT be around forever......and then you'll be singing a different tune.

Very well said Bree. I completely agree, although I didn't have the best parents in the world, I still love them and would not trade them for anything. Honda it really sounds like your parents do alot for you, I would have loved to be able to stay at home while I was going through college and paying for my car, so you should definitely appreciate what you have, because a lot of kids don't have it as easy as you.

honda522
06-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Just out of curiosity, how old are you, and do you live in KC? When you say finish school, are you taking high school or community college?

If you live in KC, you can get a decent apartment for $350/month. You could probably roommate for less. You can live on your own (albiet not well) for $700/mo. Working full-time minimum wage will get you that.

I'm just saying that if you're over 18 and you want to move out you probably can.
20 and yes I live here in the big KC. I have since graduated from HS and I am working on my AA degree from Maple Woods. I do NOT plan on moving into an apartment. Atleast not until I graduate.

How do u think your parents feel? You think having your kids live at home in their 20s is a treat? And then complaining about the situation on top of it? You talk about them contradiciting themselves, yet here you sit telling us how you are staying there to get your car paid off, finish school (and I assume) pay for university. But you hate having them around. You point of view will change drasticly when you are on the parental side of the equation. :bananen_smilies046:
I don't think 2 or 3 years extra of me will kill them. I don't see a rule or law that says I have to move out right away; I also don't see a rule/law saying that I have to stay either :lol: When I talk about them contradicting themsleves, I mean stuff like...they so don't get mad, then when I say something they take it the wrong way and get mad. Stuff like that. I am only saying I shouldn't be living with them, because when I am around they only put me in a bad mood. If I am ANYwhere else, 98% of the time I am having a great day.

jmlamerson
06-07-2009, 11:29 PM
20 and yes I live here in the big KC. I have since graduated from HS and I am working on my AA degree from Maple Woods. I do NOT plan on moving into an apartment. Atleast not until I graduate.

I'm not meaning to sound like I'm judging you. But if you're not planning to move out, you should just grin and bear it. It's your folks place. Their letting you live there rent free. From your posts, I'm gathering you don't have to have a full time job. You have it pretty good. Better than most people.

honda522
06-07-2009, 11:38 PM
I'm not meaning to sound like I'm judging you. But if you're not planning to move out, you should just grin and bear it. It's your folks place. Their letting you live there rent free. From your posts, I'm gathering you don't have to have a full time job. You have it pretty good. Better than most people.
I do that. Its really getting down to me, after I realized how happy I was not to be around them. I don't like to be mad.

DT14PRIEST
06-08-2009, 12:06 AM
I don't think 2 or 3 years extra of me will kill them. I don't see a rule or law that says I have to move out right away; I also don't see a rule/law saying that I have to stay either :lol: When I talk about them contradicting themsleves, I mean stuff like...they so don't get mad, then when I say something they take it the wrong way and get mad. Stuff like that. I am only saying I shouldn't be living with them, because when I am around they only put me in a bad mood. If I am ANYwhere else, 98% of the time I am having a great day.

Times are tough now; has it always been like this or have you always viewed your relationship with your parents like this?

What do you equate to happy? Independence?

Do you have a full time job (I didn't read a well defined answer in your response)? Do you have any bills? Credit Cards? A car (car payments)? Insurance? Do you pay for school?

I hate to beat a dead horse but it really sounds like you may be complaining about nothing unless your parents are just bagging on you all the time. It does seem hypocritical for them to be on your case for doing something they do that they don't like but it is something I think all parents, at one time or another, express to their children.

Do as I say not as I do?

All a part of being a parent I suppose.

I really can't sympathize with you simply being in a bad mood around your parents. I think a lot of teens (16-19) and young adults (20-22) get stuck in a rut like you are now with the whole college thing etc and may find living with their parents puts them in a bad mood but until you're fully on your own you should just bare with it. Find a hobby/part time job/full time job or whatever to just get out of the house and be productive.

I assume your not paying your tuition so you're still a kid/person/young adult (whatever you want to call it) being put through school (same as your entire life K-12) and being supported by your parents to further your future. Take it with a grain of salt and be thankful that your provider(s) still has a job(s) and can afford to do so.

Take a deep breath. Exercise. Go to the gym. Talk with your parents about it. Do something and just take it as it comes. In 10 years you'll look bad and realize it really wasn't as bad as you thought it was...maybe

HA!

Chiefster
06-08-2009, 02:28 PM
I was 18, and in no way did my parents bug me.

Ditto!

Out, married and working to support my spouse before age 19.

dbolan
06-08-2009, 02:59 PM
What do you do, as a 20 year old adult, to contribute to the household in a helpful way?

Pay any bills other than your car? Or are you free-riding as much as you can?

LMAO!! I was on my own at 17 and would have loved to have been able to stay home for another year or two.

Chiefster
06-08-2009, 03:02 PM
What do you do, as a 20 year old adult, to contribute to the household in a helpful way?

LMAO!! I was on my own at 17 and would have loved to have been able to stay home for another year or two.

Good questions.

honda522
06-08-2009, 04:43 PM

Cook dinner.
Mow.
Take care of the dishes.
TRY to help out every now and then; it never works.