PDA

View Full Version : 2009 NFL Preview!!!

pbatrucker
06-17-2009, 05:13 AM
www.whatifsports.com (http://www.whatifsports.com) has a preview for the 2009 season. CHiefs predicted at 7-9.

AussieChiefsFan
06-17-2009, 05:49 AM
www.whatifsports.com (http://www.whatifsports.com) has a preview for the 2009 season. CHiefs predicted at 7-9.That's what I'm talking about!!:yahoo:

Three7s
06-17-2009, 06:17 AM
Looks like the 6-10 to 7-9 range is pretty popular for us. Then again, that's what I'm predicting.

pbatrucker
06-17-2009, 06:22 AM
Looks like the 6-10 to 7-9 range is pretty popular for us. Then again, that's what I'm predicting.

I think it's a fair prediction considering we play 9 teams that should make the playoffs. But if we win all our games in the AFC west and then get 3 wins that we should be competive with out of division, Bengals, Jags and Redskins that's 9-7 and playoffs would be within our grasp. The NFL season can work in funny ways sometimes.
:bananen_smilies046:

Three7s
06-17-2009, 06:29 AM
I think it's a fair prediction considering we play 9 teams that should make the playoffs. But if we win all our games in the AFC west and then get 3 wins that we should be competive with out of division, Bengals, Jags and Redskins that's 9-7 and playoffs would be within our grasp. The NFL season can work in funny ways sometimes.
I think we have a shot at sweeping the division, the only game that SHOULD be tough is going to San Diego. If we lose any of the others, then we just decided to stink.

I really think the Bengals could be better than people think, they did great at the end of the season last year, so that could be a bit more interesting than people think. Redskins aren't all that good, but it is up there so who knows. We should handle the Jags easily.

Honestly, if we are to make the playoffs, two things HAVE to happen. One is, we need to split against the NFC East. I think it's doable against the Cowboys and Redskins, but by far, the toughest of the tasks. Second, is we have to take at least 4 games within the division. We could actually sweep them, but that's still pretty hard to do.

If we do that, then all we'll have to do after that is just win 3 games against non-conference opponents. We should be able to beat the Jags and the Browns. (though this could be a different story if they get Marshall)

AussieChiefsFan
06-17-2009, 06:30 AM
:bananen_smilies046: IMO we are definately up for the playoffs.

Coach
06-17-2009, 08:26 AM
I think we have a shot at sweeping the division, the only game that SHOULD be tough is going to San Diego. If we lose any of the others, then we just decided to stink.
Have the Chiefs ever swept this division? What makes you think we will sweep the division when we are in a complete rebuilding year and are coming off the worst season in Chiefs history?

I'm not trying to be Debby-Downer, but you may want to have more realistic expectations or this could be a very frustrating season for you.

Three7s
06-17-2009, 08:52 AM
Have the Chiefs ever swept this division? What makes you think we will sweep the division when we are in a complete rebuilding year and are coming off the worst season in Chiefs history?

I'm not trying to be Debby-Downer, but you may want to have more realistic expectations or this could be a very frustrating season for you.
Normally, I wouldn't, but the division just looks horrible. The Broncos are self-destructing, the Raiders are the Raiders, and the Chargers are getting old. I'm not saying we will, I'm just saying we have a shot.

If you read further down in the post, I said I think we should win 4 games out of the division.

yashi
06-17-2009, 09:09 AM
7-9 would be a great season. We are in a transition period of epic proportions and anything close to .500 would be a very successful season, in my opinion of course.

jmlamerson
06-17-2009, 04:00 PM
7-9 is very, very doable.

I think we go 4-2 in division (losing at SD and at Oakland). I think Oakland and SD also go 4-2 in division, as the Broncos go 0-6.

Add in home wins over the rebuilding Browns and the overrated Cowboys, and a at least one win against either the Jags, Bengals, or Redskins. That's seven right there.

KottkeKU
06-17-2009, 07:10 PM
if you think we are making the playoffs, you are in for a long, long year..i say we win 6 games. Our defense still blows....hard. And every game outside of our division is tough....next year though!

Big Daddy Tek
06-17-2009, 09:33 PM
7-9 is very, very doable.

I think we go 4-2 in division (losing at SD and at Oakland). I think Oakland and SD also go 4-2 in division, as the Broncos go 0-6.

Add in home wins over the rebuilding Browns and the overrated Cowboys, and a at least one win against either the Jags, Bengals, or Redskins. That's seven right there.

I think JM is pretty close. I also have us 4-2 in the division. Although my second loss is not to Oakland, but Denver. Oakland has not been a problem for 5 years and I dont expect them to be now. The Denver game at Mile High is always the scariest game of the season. We lose there every year, Just like they lose here. If Pioli makes us 8-8, he'll probably get his own street.

Three7s
06-17-2009, 10:33 PM
I think JM is pretty close. I also have us 4-2 in the division. Although my second loss is not to Oakland, but Denver. Oakland has not been a problem for 5 years and I dont expect them to be now. The Denver game at Mile High is always the scariest game of the season. We lose there every year, Just like they lose here. If Pioli makes us 8-8, he'll probably get his own street.
And this post and JML's is exactly what I mean. I think we'll go 4-2 as well, but it's definitely possible to sweep if everything goes perfectly. The division is just pathetic.

jmlamerson
06-17-2009, 11:04 PM
And this post and JML's is exactly what I mean. I think we'll go 4-2 as well, but it's definitely possible to sweep if everything goes perfectly. The division is just pathetic.

You're underestimating San Diego, who I think will go (at least) 12-4. They are a very, very good team in their prime. Norv Turner isn't exactly Bill Walsh, but he's not as bad as his reputation suggests, and he's taken the Chargers a whole lot farther than Matry ever did. And Oakland is a better team than they were in 2008 (of course, so are we), and we split with them in 2008.

On the whole, our division isn't as bad as everyone thinks it is. I think the AFC West ends up with a better record than the NFC West (abysmal), AFC North (Baltimore is due for a slump season), AFC East (I think only the Pats have a winning record in 2009), and maybe the NFC South (Atlanta is the only team I don't think we beat on a neutral field).

All in all, I agree with you that we're going to be better than a lot of people think, and, heck, I admire your enthusiasm. But talks of sweeping the division and the playoffs are just slightly premature.

Three7s
06-18-2009, 12:08 AM
You're underestimating San Diego, who I think will go (at least) 12-4. They are a very, very good team in their prime. Norv Turner isn't exactly Bill Walsh, but he's not as bad as his reputation suggests, and he's taken the Chargers a whole lot farther than Matry ever did. And Oakland is a better team than they were in 2008 (of course, so are we), and we split with them in 2008.

On the whole, our division isn't as bad as everyone thinks it is. I think the AFC West ends up with a better record than the NFC West (abysmal), AFC North (Baltimore is due for a slump season), AFC East (I think only the Pats have a winning record in 2009), and maybe the NFC South (Atlanta is the only team I don't think we beat on a neutral field).

All in all, I agree with you that we're going to be better than a lot of people think, and, heck, I admire your enthusiasm. But talks of sweeping the division and the playoffs are just slightly premature.
Yeah, the Chargers are who I worry about, especially with Merriman coming back. If he's the old Merriman, then we have no chance in San Diego, and even here, it'll be tough.

Oakland is kind of weird for us, both games are usually duds, but we usually find a way to win one of them. I really don't think Oakland has improved all that much, so I'll go with sweeping them, but I wouldn't be shocked if they stole one from us.

Chiefster
06-18-2009, 12:55 AM

Yup, as a general in the past few seasons I've kept my expectations relatively low in order to avoid said frustation. :D

Big Daddy Tek
06-18-2009, 01:27 AM

I dont think San Diego is in their prime. Their best Offensive Guard plays for us now. Merriman is a huge question mark and his replacement is a rookie (Larry English.) The new D-line coach is Don Johnson who was the D-line coach for Oakland the past two seasons. Their best D-lineman Jamal Williams got a DUI earlier this year and will probably miss the first couple games. Their second best D-lineman, Igor Olshansky went to Dallas. To top it all off, they probably have the weakest Safeties in our division (Clinton Hart, Eric Weddle, not impressive.) Ladanian is old and not what he used to be and I dont think Sproles can handle more than 20 touches a game. No matter what anybody says, Norv Turner does not impress me as a head coach. Overall they have a great young quarterback and tight end, but not much else shines. Im not convinced JM. You might be right, but I just dont see it.

dbolan
06-18-2009, 08:03 AM
I dont think San Diego is in their prime. Their best Offensive Guard plays for us now. Merriman is a huge question mark and his replacement is a rookie (Larry English.) The new D-line coach is Don Johnson who was the D-line coach for Oakland the past two seasons. Their best D-lineman Jamal Williams got a DUI earlier this year and will probably miss the first couple games. Their second best D-lineman, Igor Olshansky went to Dallas. To top it all off, they probably have the weakest Safeties in our division (Clinton Hart, Eric Weddle, not impressive.) Ladanian is old and not what he used to be and I dont think Sproles can handle more than 20 touches a game. No matter what anybody says, Norv Turner does not impress me as a head coach. Overall they have a great young quarterback and tight end, but not much else shines. Im not convinced JM. You might be right, but I just dont see it.

I have to agree with this. Thanks for doing all of the typing for me! lmao!

yashi
06-18-2009, 09:20 AM

No offense, but that was kind of a homer post.

I watched a lot of San Diego last year because I had Sunday Ticket and LT on my $500 fantasy team. Goff was one of the weak points on that offensive line. The right side was actually pretty bad. He's an upgrade for us, but they let him walk for a reason.

Gates is now far and away the best TE in the division, they have big physical receivers. Rivers was the most efficient QB in the league last year. LT was clearly playing through turf toe and couldn't do anything. I'd bet anything that he'll be a lot better this year.

I hate the guy's guts for effectively ending Priest Holmes career, but Merriman is an incredible football player and that defense is nasty if he's on the field.

San Diego will win the division pretty easily. I'll put money on it.

jmlamerson
06-18-2009, 10:15 AM

San Diego isn't as good as they were two years ago in a lot of spots (including DL and OG), but Rivers and his receivers are getting better and better every year, especially with the addition of Chambers at WR, and I think that will be the difference.

Or to put it another way, they went 8-8 and won a playoff game against the Colts with Merriman and LT out. They now have English and Siler to prevent the dropoff at LB in case of injury, and Sproles proved that he can be an able backup if LT goes down, at least when he's playing on turf and not Heinz Field. Not to mention that their schedule, like ours, isn't really that tough. I think they'll kill the Browns, Bengals, Skins, Cowboys, and Dolphins. I think they beat Tennessee (Week 16, when Collins will inevitably be hurt), Eagles (at home), and Ravens (at home) teams just due for slumps. And I think they go 4-2 in division. That's twelve wins right there. Not to mention that the Giants have looked awfuly mortal without Plaxico and the Chargers certainly can beat the Raiders twice.

I know I sound like a Chargers fan, and I hate the Chargers, but their GM has built that team into an annual contender. I can't help but admire it.

Now, here's my plan. Pioli should offer Cassel to the Chargers for Rivers. We should leak the story that the Chargers are considering it. BAM! We have another Cutler situation and we sweep the AFC West.

Big Daddy Tek
06-18-2009, 11:44 PM
San Diego isn't as good as they were two years ago in a lot of spots (including DL and OG), but Rivers and his receivers are getting better and better every year, especially with the addition of Chambers at WR, and I think that will be the difference.

Or to put it another way, they went 8-8 and won a playoff game against the Colts with Merriman and LT out. They now have English and Siler to prevent the dropoff at LB in case of injury, and Sproles proved that he can be an able backup if LT goes down, at least when he's playing on turf and not Heinz Field. Not to mention that their schedule, like ours, isn't really that tough. I think they'll kill the Browns, Bengals, Skins, Cowboys, and Dolphins. I think they beat Tennessee (Week 16, when Collins will inevitably be hurt), Eagles (at home), and Ravens (at home) teams just due for slumps. And I think they go 4-2 in division. That's twelve wins right there. Not to mention that the Giants have looked awfuly mortal without Plaxico and the Chargers certainly can beat the Raiders twice.

I know I sound like a Chargers fan, and I hate the Chargers, but their GM has built that team into an annual contender. I can't help but admire it.

Now, here's my plan. Pioli should offer Cassel to the Chargers for Rivers. We should leak the story that the Chargers are considering it. BAM! We have another Cutler situation and we sweep the AFC West.

Haha. Well done.

AkChief49
06-19-2009, 12:07 AM
]Have the Chiefs ever swept this division? [/b]What makes you think we will sweep the division when we are in a complete rebuilding year and are coming off the worst season in Chiefs history?

Yes, we have, in 1995 we went 8-0 (Seattle was still in our div.) lost to the Colts 7-10 in the playoffs.

AussieChiefsFan
06-19-2009, 02:09 AM
Yes, we have, in 1995 we went 8-0 (Seattle was still in our div.) lost to the Colts 7-10 in the playoffs.
:sign0098:

Bike
06-19-2009, 02:34 PM
All I know is we are currently 0-0; tied for the division lead. I don't see us losing this lead for the rest of the season.
Homer post!

Chiefster
06-20-2009, 12:29 AM
All I know is we are currently 0-0; tied for the division lead. I don't see us losing this lead for the rest of the season.
Homer post!

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/06/14.jpg

Canada
06-22-2009, 08:30 AM
Am I theonly guy who say the Chiefs play the Chargers last year and lose by 1 point? They barely beat a 2-14 Herm Edwards coached team, how good can they be?

Canada
06-22-2009, 08:32 AM
You're underestimating San Diego, who I think will go (at least) 12-4. They are a very, very good team in their prime.

So you expect an 8-8 team with a 30 year old RB and a roidless Merriman to make a 4 game improvement this year? Why can't u give the Chiefs that kind of credit?

jmlamerson
06-22-2009, 10:12 AM
So you expect an 8-8 team with a 30 year old RB and a roidless Merriman to make a 4 game improvement this year? Why can't u give the Chiefs that kind of credit?

Man, you need to pay more attention. I've posted many, many times, that I think the Chiefs will improve by five games this year (to 7-9, maybe 8-8 if we get a few breaks). That doesn't equate to a winning season, unfortunately, but it's pretty great, given the mess Herm left of the team.

And yeah, SD should improve this year. Tomlinson and Sproles are going to share the RB load, Rivers and his receivers are improving every year, and the Chargers loaded up on LBs in the draft in case Merriman isn't up to the challenge. They have a pretty easy schedule as well.

For that matter, I think Oakland will be better than they were in 2008 as well, improving a couple wins to 6-10.

It's Denver that's going to take the big plunge, down to 1-15, 2-14.

Three7s
06-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Man, you need to pay more attention. I've posted many, many times, that I think the Chiefs will improve by five games this year (to 7-9, maybe 8-8 if we get a few breaks). That doesn't equate to a winning season, unfortunately, but it's pretty great, given the mess Herm left of the team.

And yeah, SD should improve this year. Tomlinson and Sproles are going to share the RB load, Rivers and his receivers are improving every year, and the Chargers loaded up on LBs in the draft in case Merriman isn't up to the challenge. They have a pretty easy schedule as well.

For that matter, I think Oakland will be better than they were in 2008 as well, improving a couple wins to 6-10.

It's Denver that's going to take the big plunge, down to 1-15, 2-14.
It's true that the Chargers covered their weaknesses pretty well through the last draft, and I know you already covered the Norv Turner factor, but I just can't see it with him.

The guy is constantly given great talent and just turns it into mediocrity. He scuffles into the playoffs and his team finally starts playing like they should, but the guy just isn't much of a regular season coach.

The point being, every year, people predict this team to be 12-4 or whatever, and they fall short. In 07, they had the talent to be 13-3 at least, and were 11-5. In 08, they should've been 11-5, but they were 8-8. Yes, they had injuries, but they lost a lot of games in the last second, that reflects on the coach.

Now, am I saying they won't win the division? Absolutely not, I'm looking at them at around 9-7, I just can't see them at anything better than 11-5, because that's the best they've been with Norv with some of the best talent.

AkChief49
06-23-2009, 01:28 AM
Am I theonly guy who say the Chiefs play the Chargers last year and lose by 1 point? They barely beat a 2-14 Herm Edwards coached team, how good can they be?
Nope, I seen it too. TWICE!!!!!

Three7s
06-23-2009, 08:14 AM
JM always Jacks on the Chiefs. I don't understand why but I haven't read one post from him that gives any positive optimism. That is just my opinion though, but since I am voicing my opinion about his, I will just say that I would be stunned if he were to be positive about them , as for the Bolts, they haven't done anything to warrant them getting a better record, especially if they are playing the same kind of schedule the Chiefs are.
What would you consider positive? He's said that we'll be near .500 next season.

jmlamerson
06-23-2009, 10:05 AM
JM always Jacks on the Chiefs. I don't understand why but I haven't read one post from him that gives any positive optimism. That is just my opinion though, but since I am voicing my opinion about his, I will just say that I would be stunned if he were to be positive about them , as for the Bolts, they haven't done anything to warrant them getting a better record, especially if they are playing the same kind of schedule the Chiefs are.

You are wrong. Again. I've been nothing but positive about the Chiefs this whole offseason. And I've been nothing but polite about your posts.

Don't question my fanhood again. Understand?

Chiefster
06-23-2009, 12:09 PM
This is getting old.