PDA

View Full Version : Dick Vermiel on Todd Haley and Brian Waters

Big Daddy Tek
06-18-2009, 02:10 AM
Emptying the OTAs notebook: Dick Vermeil on Todd Haley, Brian Waters and the attitude adjustment

By Kent Babb; Kansas City Star

Former Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil, who led St. Louis to a Super Bowl title in 1999, made a long career out of doing things his way. Practices were exhausting, and mercy wasn't usually part of the equation. Like every NFL coach, he once led a franchise for the first time, something first-year Kansas City coach Todd Haley is charged with doing this year.
Vermeil understands Haley's obstacles, including getting the disgruntled guard Brian Waters to buy into the coach's message. Vermeil coached Waters early in the lineman's career. We spoke with Vermeil last week to discuss his thoughts on Haley's 2009 challenges, the Brian Waters situation and what the new Chiefs coach has to do to earn the team's respect.
These are Vermeil's thoughts, in his words:

On Todd Haley:

"You sort of grow into those leadership responsibilities, and you grow into your philosophy. I was far more intense, far more emotional when I took over the Kansas City Chiefs. You get better as you do it."

"Remember, Bill Walsh was a first-time head coach..... Vince Lombardi was a first-time head coach at one time."

"He’ll do it his way. He’ll also lean on things that he’s learned from his recent experience."

"They'll fall in line. Regardless of what players say, sooner or later they’re going to learn who the boss is. They’ll soon find out why he’s the head coach."

On Brian Waters:

"I know him very well. I see him having a great year and going to the Pro Bowl as a Kansas City Chief and ending up buying in and being a leader. It’ll just happen in a matter of time as he gains respect and they (coaches) gain respect for him."

"He’s just not some dumb offensive lineman. He’s a bright guy, and he will evaluate the whole process as it’s going along, and he’ll buy in. He’ll see that this is a good way."

"There’s a lot of guys who play on rosters who’d just as soon play somewhere else. But they always end up falling in line."

AussieChiefsFan
06-18-2009, 03:06 AM
Dick Vermiel is a genuine KC Chiefs fan. That is the reason after he decided to step out of the NFL coaching relm frm the Philidelphia Eagles, he became a color anylist for the Kansas City Chiefs TV network and he covered the preseason games for so many years until he decided to return to coaching with the Rams after the Rams made the move from LA to St.Louis Mo. Carl Petersen claims he tried to aquire Dick but as usual the Kindet didn't have the nuts to spend the money to get Dick's attention. If Dick believes in the system being installed then I would say that we may be in for some good stuff. I have always liked Vermiel even when he coached the Eagles I liked what he was doing. He is good with team unity and brings players together. For some reason the KC Star decided to run a posotive story on the Chiefs, that is not their character,,,,,hmmmmmmm,,,,maybe things are changing for the better guys! I keep saying it and it's my 2009 quote,
I Believe!
For a second there I thought you added a link to it because it was underlined!:D

AussieChiefsFan
06-18-2009, 03:24 AM
No, sorry Aussie it's not a link. I underlined it because if I am going to repeat this until I have no reason not to repeat it I can't do the huge letters unless we win a SB. SOOOOOOO,
I am making a pact right now that I will not say those 2 words together in large lettering unless we win a World Championship. Are ya with me big guy?:fatlock:Small guy actually but YES, ok, I'm with ya!:bananen_smilies046:

AussieChiefsFan
06-18-2009, 03:34 AM
Good that makes 2 of us on this band wagon to victory!
:borg:
:lol:

pbatrucker
06-18-2009, 04:08 AM
I have one little problem with Vermiel. " HE COULDN'T EVEN SPELL DEFENSE" He was the start of the downward spiral to our defense.

AussieChiefsFan
06-18-2009, 04:10 AM
I have one little problem with Vermiel. " HE COULDN'T EVEN SPELL DEFENSE" He was the start of the downward spiral to our defense.
Just be glad that he wasn't like herm.:bananen_smilies046:

AussieChiefsFan
06-18-2009, 04:54 AM
As for his similarities to Herm, where do you think Herm the Worm got his coaching style at? He was on the Eagles team Vermiel took to the Superbowl that lost to the Faiders and Herm also coached under Tony Dungey with the Tampa Bay Bucs as their defensive coach. The Worms issues with the offensive side of the ball wasn't what killed his career in KC , it was his stupidity regarding the defense. He medaled in the defense so much that Gun couldn't affectivly do his job IMO. The kids on the field were listening to way to many theories and it screwed them up. That falls on the Worm and not the Gun. Just MY opinion.
I new herm played for the eagles earlier in his life but I didn't know dick vermiel coached him! Vermiel DID make some pretty good choices though (TG).:bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
06-18-2009, 07:16 AM
Vermiel didn't draft Tony Gonzales buddy. Dick was retired when Tony Gonzales was drafted. It was Dicks idea to bring in Trent Green (TG) also his idea to go after Priest Holmes and Willie Roaf. Dick knows how to make the Offense go Vroom Vroom! LMAO!

In the dictionary next to the word "offense" is Vermiel's picture.

dbolan
06-18-2009, 07:57 AM
I new herm played for the eagles earlier in his life but I didn't know dick vermiel coached him! Vermiel DID make some pretty good choices though (TG).:bananen_smilies046:

Uummm....Vermiel endorsed Herm as his replacement. Not that I did not like Vermiel but he influenced Herm's "second chance" and if any team EVER signs Herm as a HC, they will have to be at the deepest depth of stupidity!!

Big Daddy Tek
06-18-2009, 11:52 PM
I doubt the Worm will get another chance. He was once in charge of player personel for the Chiefs back in the Marty ball era. He is good at bringing in players with talent , he just don't know what to do with them after they are on the team. If anything he might be in that job again, all though I doubt he would take the demotion now, never know though . Depends on how much he loves the game.

Wrong. Herm was a scout. Thats it. Just a scout

Lazeye
06-19-2009, 03:40 AM
I believe!

Chiefster
06-19-2009, 07:38 AM
I believe!

"I believe: ignorance of the law is no excuse. I'm quoting a New York City judge on this." :D

-Ron White

Chiefster
06-20-2009, 09:16 AM
You mean to say that Tater was sober enough to remember what the Judge said to him? LoL....

Probably read the transcript afterwards. :lol:

GlennBree
06-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Good that makes 2 of us on this band wagon to victory!
:borg:

Hey, I'm not a guy....big or little....but I'm jumping on that wagon with you!!!!
:bananen_smilies046: