PDA

View Full Version : Cassel Vs Thigpen

pbatrucker
07-02-2009, 12:31 PM
www.bobgretz.com (http://www.bobgretz.com)

A very good look at the competition at QB.

Three7s
07-03-2009, 05:08 AM
Bob Gretz is a stand up guy but it almost makes me think he is looking for a QB conreoversy. I hope he is wrong and Cassell does what we brought him in for.I like Thiggy but not enough to have Cassell fall on his *** for him to get in the game and that is what will need to happen for Thiggy to get the knod IMO.
He doesn't care about the controversy itself, he just cares about a story. Classic media.

Coach
07-03-2009, 09:58 AM
I think he is saying this should be a competition and that Cassell shouldn't be handed the job. I agree and look forward to seeing both men on the field this year. I have no clue which one is beter. Thigpen did a lot of great stuff last year. His arm strength would be my biggest concern. He tended to just float the longer balls up for grab. Luckily he had Bowe(Tall and athletic) and TG(best TE of all time) going after the ball.

I am very encouraged that at least one of these guys can be a great Chiefs QB for years to come.

Seek
07-07-2009, 01:12 PM
I agree with Gretz.

No one knows what Cassle will do with a different team. I mean we knew Damon Huard was capable of running this team, but failed miserably with Croyle last year and then Thigpen improved this offense. What if Huard or Thigpen were the back ups in New England. Would their results be the same, or worse as Cassel's????

We will never knowthat, but we will know the truth about Cassell very soon.

Has Cassel signed yet??? The delay makes me think the Chiefs don't want to tie up a bunch of longer term money in him just in case he is not that guy. Thigpen is an excellent insurance policy.

twhite85
07-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Cassle

Cassell

Cassel

... Wow. 3 different spellings in one post, huh? I'm impressed.

twhite85
07-08-2009, 12:43 AM
Who cares about his grammer dude, the point he is making is what you should comment on as this is not school, it's Chiefs Chat!!!!! As for what he is saying about the topic, that is his opinion and he is entitled to it. We can see you didn't have the sack to voice your opinion but, you can bash a guy for poor grammer. :sign0098:

Dude, take a pill. It was a lighthearted joke, and you're attacking my manhood. Real mature.

twhite85
07-08-2009, 12:51 AM
Huard was a back up in New England at one point. He came from the Pats when we picked him up. He did get in the game once or twice I believe but not sure, I think that was the reason why we picked him up as a back up QB. At any rate, Huard was good when he didn't have to worry about the line caving in around him but that would affect anyone. If our line can do it's job, I think everyone is going to be very surprised with Cassell.

I have to agree with you on that one. I think the quarterback situation in KC hinges entirely on whether or not the offensive line can perform at a high level. Cassel seems to be the better traditional pocket QB (although mobile at times), so I have a feeling that he'll retain the starting job if the O-line can pull it's own weight. However, plan on seeing a lot of the more mobile Thigpen if the line performs like they did last season.

Oh, and hopefully Cassel can take a hit a little better than Damon (and Brodie, for that matter).

Bike
07-08-2009, 02:41 PM
www.bobgretz.com (http://www.bobgretz.com)

A very good look at the competition at QB.
Cassel wins due to the size of his contract.

Canada
07-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Cassel wins due to the size of his contract.

Maybe they should pay Thigpen $14 million so that it can be a fair competition!! :D

AkChief49
07-08-2009, 04:53 PM
I'm hoping it is a true competition. Cassell had only slightly better numbers in Td/Int than Thigpen. Say what you want, but the Pats line was a better front than ours.He(Cassell)obviously held on to the ball way too long...40 something sacks. If it's just the money that automatically makes him the starter, that stinks. May the BEST man win.

pbatrucker
07-08-2009, 11:49 PM
If you look at Cassell's stats for 2008, 28 of his 47 sacks came in the first 8 games. Of the 19 sacks in the final 9 games, 5 came against the Steelers. IMO he got way better at getting rid of the ball as the year went on and that would have to be expected.

Coach
07-09-2009, 01:04 AM
but when a team pays a guy $14 million to come play for ya, you don't let someone else start unless they are either getting paid more or they are better at the position.

Kind of like when Belichick and Pioli elected to keep Drew Bledsoe(highly paid and proven) on the bench and play the kid(Tom Brady, 7th rd rookie)????

Not saying it will happen, just saying there is a chance.
YouTube - Dumb and Dumber 'There's a Chance'

Three7s
07-09-2009, 01:21 AM
I think it'd be funny if Thigpen was named the starter. I bet the media would be outraged! :lol:

Seek
07-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Huard was a back up in New England at one point. He came from the Pats when we picked him up. He did get in the game once or twice I believe but not sure, I think that was the reason why we picked him up as a back up QB. At any rate, Huard was good when he didn't have to worry about the line caving in around him but that would affect anyone. If our line can do it's job, I think everyone is going to be very surprised with Cassell.

I am concerned about the line caving in around him. He was sacked a ton in New England. Wait until now.

Seek
07-09-2009, 12:54 PM
... Wow. 3 different spellings in one post, huh? I'm impressed.

Thank you for pointing out my spelling, Grammar and typing erros, they were nver my strong suits and don't give a Poo since I am not longer in school. I don't write for a living and you are not paying to read my opinion. If the highlight of your day is ripping on peoples spelling in Chat room, maybe I should change it OMG U BFF to really drive you crazy... Fact of the matter, I am busy at work and type fast to get my point across during my short lunch hour. I don't got go back and spell check. I don't care if it is perfect grammar as long as you got my point.

twhite85
07-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Thank you for pointing out my spelling, Grammar and typing erros, they were nver my strong suits and don't give a Poo since I am not longer in school. I don't write for a living and you are not paying to read my opinion. If the highlight of your day is ripping on peoples spelling in Chat room, maybe I should change it OMG U BFF to really drive you crazy... Fact of the matter, I am busy at work and type fast to get my point across during my short lunch hour. I don't got go back and spell check. I don't care if it is perfect grammar as long as you got my point.

You're taking me WAYYY too seriously dude. I was just messin' with you.

twhite85
07-09-2009, 04:04 PM
I think he got your point and had no response to what you said which angered him so he ripped on your grammer. That is a sign of weakness IMO but who am I to judge anyone?:sign0153:

Oh, and by the way, my opinion was posted. About two posts after I posted the JOKE about his bad grammar. Y'all can stop attacking me any time now, as I'm pretty sure I've made it ABUNDANTLY clear that I was kidding. Feel free to talk smack about the fact that I just typed "y'all" tho, I'm pretty sure I have it coming to me.

Coach
07-10-2009, 12:22 AM
Kidding or not doesn't matter to me cuz<----making fun of a person for their grammer is just weak and inmature.

Get over it. Let's move on.

windwalker
07-10-2009, 06:26 AM
Maybe they should pay Thigpen $14 million so that it can be a fair competition!! :D
I'll bet Thigpen would say yes to that!!! :lol::lol:

Three7s
07-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Doubtful Thigpen will get the offer.
He's joking, just in case you didn't know.

IlovetheChiefs
07-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Yeah will be interesting and exciting when pre-season gets here and we see how our QB's perform. I think it's likely Cassel will win the starting position. Thigpen would have to significantly do better in order to overturn the obvious intended plan with Cassel.

How about Croyle? Guess he'll come in the late 3rd or 4th quarters and have to play like Superman to have a chance. I know he was a disappointment in '07. But was his rookie year and only the second half of the season. And then had injuries all last year. So maybe there's still a chance he could show some more ability. Of course his being prone to injuries could be his undoing itself. I think in a past thread someone referred to Croyle as kind of having a "glass jaw".

AussieChiefsFan
07-11-2009, 09:25 AM
Here's my take on Thigpen vs. Cassell, is this:

I like Tyler because I have become familiar with him. I also like his personality a lot, not to mention his skill being a QB!

I also like Matt because I've seen his skill and IMO he did pretty well for pats and the pats IMO are a pretty successful team.

So, If I had to choose who I would prefer to be a better QB, I would probably pick Tyler! Probably because I'm not all that familiar with Matt Cassell. I mean If Cassell turns out to be the better one I would still be happy. But IMO the best time to compare Tyler and Matt is in around 1 years time, when Matt has played (unless Tyler turns out to be 1st string) his first season.

So, in one years time I'll see who I am more keen on.

:bananen_smilies046:

Coach
07-11-2009, 09:37 PM
It is a good feeling to know we have Thigpen to back up Matt, if we had to rely on Croyle I would be a lil worried.

Amen. I feel good about QB situation. We don't have a proven vet, but I think we have capable QB's. I wasn't this confident about our QB situation going into our season last year. I like Chan Gailey as well. I think our offense will score points this year. I even have renewed optimism about LJ. My big quesion marks heading into this season are the offensive line and the run defense. Run defense is the biggest question mark in my opinion. I think that run defense will probably cost more losses than any other facet of the game this year.
2009 Keys to the Season
1. Run Defense
2. Offensive Line
3. WR/TE
4. Play of "Rookie" Qb's.

AussieChiefsFan
07-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Amen. I feel good about QB situation. We don't have a proven vet, but I think we have capable QB's. I wasn't this confident about our QB situation going into our season last year. I like Chan Gailey as well. I think our offense will score points this year. I even have renewed optimism about LJ. My big quesion marks heading into this season are the offensive line and the run defense. Run defense is the biggest question mark in my opinion. I think that run defense will probably cost more losses than any other facet of the game this year.
2009 Keys to the Season
1. Run Defense
2. Offensive Line
3. WR/TE
4. Play of "Rookie" Qb's.I think we have very capable Qb's. IMO tyler has already proven himdelf, now Matt just has to do that too!:bananen_smilies046:

Three7s
07-12-2009, 12:49 AM
2009 Keys to the Season
1. Run Defense
2. Offensive Line
3. WR/TE
4. Play of "Rookie" Qb's.
If our run defense isn't any better, then we'll have no chance of coming back from behind late in the game. Our run defense needs to at least be a bit better.

hermhater
07-12-2009, 01:03 AM
chief31?

Coach
07-12-2009, 09:47 PM
I agree our LB crew looks better than last year. But our front 3 are not 3-4 ready. I hope I'm wrong. If we had a bonafide NT, I'd feel much better.

I think teams will try beat us with the run and play action. That could result in lower scoring games, which would be a step in the right direction for this defense. I think our offense has the ability to outscore some teams in a low scoring affair.

Bike
07-13-2009, 08:14 AM
If our run defense isn't any better, then we'll have no chance of coming back from behind late in the game. Our run defense needs to at least be a bit better.
I agree that our run defense will tell the tale this year.

I agree our LB crew looks better than last year. But our front 3 are not 3-4 ready. I hope I'm wrong. If we had a bonafide NT, I'd feel much better.

I think teams will try beat us with the run and play action. That could result in lower scoring games, which would be a step in the right direction for this defense. I think our offense has the ability to outscore some teams in a low scoring affair.
I also believe that the switch to 3-4 will help in stopping play action and bootlegs - an embarrassing plague for our defenses this decade. I really think Haley and Clancey will put our players in a position to make these plays. Its just up to the players to make em...

Seek
07-13-2009, 12:44 PM
I actually think our line will be better than last years line. We have picked up some new blood and one Vet that should make thing a lot better IMO. With protection , it will be interesting to see what Cassell can do, holding the ball ooking for open guys should not be a issue as long as the line is doing their job. New Englands line was not much better than the Chiefs line last year the 40 sacks Cassell endured is proof of that. I think our line will improve that number a lot.

I am not convinced of that yet. I feel we are okay at LT and center, but still questionable at LG, Center and RT. I don't think the decline of Brian Waters play the last couple years deserves any over looking. I am still not sold on Niswanger or his durability. I only Hope Herb Taylor is started at RT, or there really isn't much of an change from last year.

Seek
07-13-2009, 12:59 PM
You're taking me WAYYY too seriously dude. I was just messin' with you.

You shouldn't make such assumptions, as I am not a dude.

Dude (dOOd, dyood) N. Informal An Easterner or city person vacationing on a ranch in the west.

twhite85
07-13-2009, 05:36 PM
You shouldn't make such assumptions, as I am not a dude.

Dude (dOOd, dyood) N. Informal An Easterner or city person vacationing on a ranch in the west.

Touche'...

Touche': interj. Used to acknowledge a hit in fencing or a successful criticism or an effective point in argument.

Seek
07-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Touche'...

Touche': interj. Used to acknowledge a hit in fencing or a successful criticism or an effective point in argument.

Touche' is also the name of one of my co-workers.

AussieChiefsFan
07-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Touche' is also the name of one of my co-workers.
And how can you forget "Touche Turtle"!!

YouTube - touche tourtle zero hero

:bananen_smilies046: :D

Seek
07-15-2009, 06:43 PM
Well, I guess the Chiefs are pretty sure Cassell is their guy. I don't see Thigpen beating him out for the starting position regardless of how they perform in pre-season.

I truly hope the Chiefs get serious about O-line next year.

AussieChiefsFan
07-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Well, I guess the Chiefs are pretty sure Cassell is their guy. I don't see Thigpen beating him out for the starting position regardless of how they perform in pre-season.

I truly hope the Chiefs get serious about O-line next year.I do too. Last year it was.....um.... Let's just say not very good......

hermhater
07-16-2009, 03:02 AM
O line

Bike
07-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Do It.

Chiefster
07-17-2009, 12:00 PM
"Do it! Do it!"