PDA

View Full Version : Tony Gonzales Video On Brian Waters, The Chiefs, The Falcons and Winning.

Big Daddy Tek
07-07-2009, 03:39 AM
Video: Tony Gonzalez on joining Falcons - AFC West - ESPN (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-2429/Video--Tony-Gonzalez-on-joining-Falcons.html)

I love Tony, but think that he made a big mistake and I hope I'm right!

AussieChiefsFan
07-07-2009, 04:05 AM
Video: Tony Gonzalez on joining Falcons - AFC West - ESPN (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-2429/Video--Tony-Gonzalez-on-joining-Falcons.html)

I love tony too! BTW YOU ARE VERY RIGHT!

Three7s
07-07-2009, 04:59 AM
I agree 100% with Tony. We should've kept some veterans on the team to help out the young guys, but Herm being Herm decided to just blow it all up at once. Ah well, it's in the past now.

AussieChiefsFan
07-07-2009, 05:58 AM
Personally I think TG is being selfish. The Chiefs made him into a great player. The Chiefs made him into what he is now and I don't think he understands that! Don't get me wrong though, he is still my alltime favorite player and I think he had a great influence on the Chiefs, but this trade did and always will have hit me very hard.

Sn@keIze
07-07-2009, 06:26 AM
Personally I think TG is being selfish. The Chiefs made him into a great player. The Chiefs made him into what he is now and I don't think he understands that! Don't get me wrong though, he is still my alltime favorite player and I think he had a great influence on the Chiefs, but this trade did and always will have hit me very hard.
Wrong! We were fortunate to have him represent KC. Tony had the talent all along. Its a talent you cant teach. I dont blame him for wanting out.

Only thing is, now we got rid of Carl Peterson. Its a new era. The Chiefs have had more success than the Falcs. Look at that division. Its got to be the toughest divsion in teh league.

I would have been estatic to see him go to the Cards but he made the wrong choice(or we made the wrong choice for him) in going to Atlanta.

But Atlantas offense will undoubtably be very potent! Matt Ryan, Michael Turner, Roddy White and TG!

AussieChiefsFan
07-07-2009, 06:39 AM
Wrong! We were fortunate to have him represent KC. Tony had the talent all along. Its a talent you cant teach. I dont blame him for wanting out.

Only thing is, now we got rid of Carl Peterson. Its a new era. The Chiefs have had more success than the Falcs. Look at that division. Its got to be the toughest divsion in teh league.

I would have been estatic to see him go to the Cards but he made the wrong choice(or we made the wrong choice for him) in going to Atlanta.

But Atlantas offense will undoubtably be very potent! Matt Ryan, Michael Turner, Roddy White and TG!
OK, I agree with ya, he had the talent from the very beginning, but you've got to admit he was a bit selfish for suddenly wanting out, after the rest of his career was followed by most of the Chiefs Nation. The most disappointing thing is that he left just when we were (are) getting a lot better (as you were saying). Just think about what it would be like if he DIDN'T leave, IMO the Chiefs future would be that little bit brighter with him, as apposed to without him.

Canada
07-07-2009, 08:43 AM
The Chiefs made him into what he is now [quote]

[quote=Sn@keIze;140125]Wrong!

No, he's not. Tony may have had the talent all along but it was the Chiefs who made him a centerpiece in their offense for years. Where else would that have happened? There are plenty of TEs that can catch the ball but not all of them get the opportunity that KC gave to Tony Gonzalez!!

Three7s
07-07-2009, 08:54 AM
He left because the Falcons are ready to go to the Superbowl right now, this might be the best team that they've ever had. No doubt, the Chiefs are gonna be better, and might even make a run at the division if everything goes perfectly, but I find it hard to believe we'll do anything more than that. The Falcons are fully loaded.

pbatrucker
07-07-2009, 09:11 AM
I ca understand TG's frusreation, but IMO the Falcons lost too much on defense to be a serious contender. The Giants and Eagles are the cream of the crop in the NFC, at least on paper.

honda522
07-07-2009, 05:39 PM
The Chiefs made him into a great player.
Actaully, I think that was him self. He has a hard work ethic, and he had some awful Qb's in the day.Now maybe the helped him set records by throwing to him often but then again he was the only recieving threat for years and years.

Canada
07-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Actaully, I think that was him self. He has a hard work ethic, and he had some awful Qb's in the day.Now maybe the helped him set records by throwing to him often but then again he was the only recieving threat for years and years.

Along with an offensive co ordinator and coach who decided to use him as one of the main tools in their offense. As well as many of the coaches who coached him over the years. If you think he did it all on his own you are kidding yourself.

Vanilla Garilla
07-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Along with an offensive co ordinator and coach who decided to use him as one of the main tools in their offense. As well as many of the coaches who coached him over the years. If you think he did it all on his own you are kidding yourself.

Thats like saying Walter Payton was only that stellar of a running back because he was on the bears, or saying that Ray Lewis was only a stellar linebacker because of the Baltimore. Your kidding yourself if you think that Tony wouldnt have been as good with any other team! Hell if Tony would have been with The Colts, his numbers would be so ridiculous.

honda522
07-07-2009, 06:10 PM

Im 50/50 with you. The coaching staff made it possible for him to break records. But if your saying the coaching staff made him the best hands in the leauge I will have to dissagree.

Most likley, if the ball touched his hands, it was a catch. The coaches perform for him, he preforms for himself.

Did you ever think why he was the primary for so many years? They didn't really have anyone else for one, and secondly he has (had) great hands to begin with.

:bananen_smilies046:

Pro_Angler
07-07-2009, 07:12 PM
He left because the Falcons are ready to go to the Superbowl right now, this might be the best team that they've ever had. No doubt, the Chiefs are gonna be better, and might even make a run at the division if everything goes perfectly, but I find it hard to believe we'll do anything more than that. The Falcons are fully loaded.

ATL isnt any wheres close to being super bowl team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we will get there before they do!!!!!!!

Vanilla Garilla
07-07-2009, 07:20 PM
Actually Canada is partially right. The Chiefs had a coaching staff that decided to use Tony as a main weapon which is why he got the most yards as a TE and Most TDs as a TE. He is on a team now that had 19 total catches for their TE last season so we will see a HUGE drop off in production from TG this up coming season as he is not gonna be used in the same manner as he has been in the past. When they do throw to him, he will catch the ball but they will throw to him much less than he is used to being thrown to.

I see your guys points, but just imagine if he would have had a steady, deadly accurate, consistent QB like Peyton passing too him for his entire career, you cant tell me that he wouldnt look better, and we know he would have had at least one ring on his finger.

My point is this: Great talents come along every generation in every sport, and no matter what team they are on, they will shine, because they are stars.

Big Daddy Tek
07-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Thats like saying Walter Payton was only that stellar of a running back because he was on the bears, or saying that Ray Lewis was only a stellar linebacker because of the Baltimore. Your kidding yourself if you think that Tony wouldnt have been as good with any other team! Hell if Tony would have been with The Colts, his numbers would be so ridiculous.

Bad comparison. Tony was a TE. When you pass, you have to decide to throw to the TE. When you run, you have no choice to give it the RB. And NO. If Tony was with the Colts, he would have been the third option for the past ten years and his numbers might not be half of what they are right now.

Vanilla Garilla
07-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Bad comparison. Tony was a TE. When you pass, you have to decide to throw to the TE. When you run, you have no choice to give it the RB. And NO. If Tony was with the Colts, he would have been the third option for the past ten years and his numbers might not be half of what they are right now.

Well considering that at the Pro Bowl, Peyton was quoted as saying that He would absolutely love to have Tony Gonzales in Indy, and said that they could do a lot of great things together. Now do you think that Peyton would not throw it consistently to a hard to cover tight end that has hands of glue....I think not.

P.S. I have never heard of any other great receiver having some of his successes diminished because he played with an offense that catered to him, its just silly. Its like saying, oh Jerry Rice was only that good because Steve Young loved to throw it to him, which is complete nonsense. I think the fact that Tony broke all of these records with below par quarterbacks EXCEPT TRENT GREEN, SAYS ALOT!!!

Vandelay
07-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Screw the Falcons.

honda522
07-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Screw the Falcons.
Word.

Well considering that at the Pro Bowl, Peyton was quoted as saying that He would absolutely love to have Tony Gonzales in Indy, and said that they could do a lot of great things together. Now do you think that Peyton would not throw it consistently to a hard to cover tight end that has hands of glue....I think not.

P.S. I have never heard of any other great receiver having some of his successes diminished because he played with an offense that catered to him, its just silly. Its like saying, oh Jerry Rice was only that good because Steve Young loved to throw it to him, which is complete nonsense. I think the fact that Tony broke all of these records with below par quarterbacks EXCEPT TRENT GREEN, SAYS ALOT!!!
YES!

Hayvern
07-08-2009, 12:58 AM
The former Chiefs Player who shall remain nameless was selfish. He has been selfish for some time. There was a time he wanted out before, for the very same reasons.

So he wants a Super Bowl ring and was not going to stay with the Chiefs to get it. He was selfish and we as Chief's fans owe him nothing.

tbone8801
07-08-2009, 01:02 AM

I get tired of hearing Tony G whining about not winning and wanting to play for a super bowl team, I personally hope the falcons tank it this year! lol.

Coach
07-08-2009, 01:09 AM
This league is so unpredictable, it's hard to say who will be in the superbowl. But if I had to rank the NFC South pre-season it would like this.
New Orleans
Carolina
Atlanta
Tampa Bay.

I appreciate what TG brought to this team, but if I'm Tony, I wouldn't be excited about joining the Falcons. I wish TG the best, but I wish the Chiefs better.

AussieChiefsFan
07-08-2009, 02:17 AM
[quote=AussieChiefsFan;140124] The Chiefs made him into what he is now [quote]

No, he's not. Tony may have had the talent all along but it was the Chiefs who made him a centerpiece in their offense for years. Where else would that have happened? There are plenty of TEs that can catch the ball but not all of them get the opportunity that KC gave to Tony Gonzalez!!
Thankyou Canada! REP!!!!

AussieChiefsFan
07-08-2009, 02:18 AM
This league is so unpredictable, it's hard to say who will be in the superbowl. But if I had to rank the NFC South pre-season it would like this.
New Orleans
Carolina
Atlanta
Tampa Bay.

I appreciate what TG brought to this team, but if I'm Tony, I wouldn't be excited about joining the Falcons. I wish TG the best, but I wish the Chiefs better.:bananen_smilies046:

Canada
07-08-2009, 02:22 PM

I am not saying that Tony G isn't one of the greatest. But what if Walter Payton was only used in third down situations for his career because his early numbers where not that great. Maybe Ray Lewis thrives in a 4-3 Defense but sucks in a 3-4 defense. Coaching can have a huge inpact on the career of a player. To say that tony got where he is without the Chiefs is ridiculous. I never said he was good because he was on the Chiefs, I said he was good because the Chiefs coaching staff used him wisely and helped to coach him up to be the player he is now. :bananen_smilies046:

Do you think the colts would have changed their passing attack because Tony was there? Would Peyton stop throwing deep balls to Harrison and Wayne because Tony was open 8 yards down the field? I doubt it.

AkChief49
07-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Actually Canada is partially right. The Chiefs had a coaching staff that decided to use Tony as a main weapon which is why he got the most yards as a TE and Most TDs as a TE. He is on a team now that had 19 total catches for their TE last season so we will see a HUGE drop off in production from TG this up coming season as he is not gonna be used in the same manner as he has been in the past. When they do throw to him, he will catch the ball but they will throw to him much less than he is used to being thrown to.
I wonder if they are going to use him as a pass blocker? I wonder why they gave up a second rounder for him? Maybe a drop off, but not a huge drop off. they got him for what he does best...catching the ball!

Vanilla Garilla
07-08-2009, 06:09 PM
The Chiefs coaching staff had everything to do with why he is the best TE in the history of the NFL. If TG were to get drafted by the Giants, his stats would prolly would not be anywhere near they are now simply because their offensive plans are more set towards running the ball and throwing to the Wide Outs , not so much the TE. Same as if he would have been on the Cardnals, they have an offense that just doesn't use the TE as much as they do WR. He is what he is because the KC Coaching staff based alot of their passing attack around him because he was our biggest threat in that area of our attack.

Let me get this clear, if your logic, as stated above, is correct, then Jerry Rice would not have been a hall of famer if he was on a team that's main focus was running?

I for one, think that an offensive weapon as great as T.G, Rice, Walter Payton and others will be used and go on to great things with any team they are with. What logical NFL team is not going to use their most powerful weapon?

AkChief49
07-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Yea, your right there but my point is he won't get a 1,000 yard season in 09, they have other weapons that will take away from his use. The only other team I have seen a TE get multiple 1,000 yard TE was Denver with Shannon Sharpe who I hate but he did do it. I doubt TG will do it in ATL.
what about Ozzie Newsome, Kellen Winslow Sr. or even Todd Christensen?

Vanilla Garilla
07-08-2009, 07:02 PM

Oooh, Ozzie used to be the man. Nice list here, A lot of these guys have been forgotten, but they were definite All Stars.

pbatrucker
07-09-2009, 01:05 AM

You forgot the TE who startes the trend for pass catching Te's, John Mackey. I'e never seen anyone as hard to bring down after catching the ball. And that proves that teams will find a way to utilize great players. The colts had Raymond Berry and Lenny Moore, but they found a way to utilize Mackey.

dbolan
07-16-2009, 11:58 AM
As I have said before, I could give a rattz arse about TG anymore. Aussie was right...It was pure selfishness and it still is. If he was pissed about Herm cleaning house he should have barked when he did it. Not 2-3 years afterwards. Tough titty!!

Also, Canada was correct as well. The Chiefs did make sure TG was a big part of the offense and the year in whichthey shifted from that, TG whined like a little titty baby. Guess what happened? TG started getting the ball again. Well, what happened in the play-offs when we did get there? Where was TG then? I cannot recall seeing him make numerous big plays to help win those games. Can you??

See..It was all about TG and when the opportunities came in play-offs, which is the toughest part of the season, he got taken out of the game by the defense. That put a strangle hold on the team

And to add to it, if I were the Hunt's, I would not let him retire as a Chief because they catered to him in regards to salary and "giving" him the ball in the offense schemes.

Okay..Whew! That felt good! LMAO!

dbolan
07-16-2009, 12:33 PM
As I have said before, I could give a rattz arse about TG anymore. Aussie was right...It was pure selfishness and it still is. If he was pissed about Herm cleaning house he should have barked when he did it. Not 2-3 years afterwards. Tough titty!!

Also, Canada was correct as well. The Chiefs did make sure TG was a big part of the offense and the year in whichthey shifted from that, TG whined like a little titty baby. Guess what happened? TG started getting the ball again. Well, what happened in the play-offs when we did get there? Where was TG then? I cannot recall seeing him make numerous big plays to help win those games. Can you??

See..It was all about TG and when the opportunities came in play-offs, which is the toughest part of the season, he got taken out of the game by the defense. That put a strangle hold on the team

And to add to it, if I were the Hunt's, I would not let him retire as a Chief because they catered to him in regards to salary and "giving" him the ball in the offense schemes.

Okay..Whew! That felt good! LMAO!

Just to add some stats for good measure....

Here are TG's Playoff stats:

1997: 3 catches for 26 yds

2003: 4 catches for 55 yds

2006: 4 catches for 26 yds

So, I say...Where was Mr. Big Boy when the playoffs came knocking?

Go look at what other TE's done in the playoffs and see for yourself how well he done, or didn't do, in comparison to the others.

Hell, in 97, poor old Ted Popson caught 5 balls for 26 yds! LMAO!

AussieChiefsFan
07-17-2009, 08:52 AM
Just to add some stats for good measure....

Here are TG's Playoff stats:

1997: 3 catches for 26 yds

2003: 4 catches for 55 yds

2006: 4 catches for 26 yds

So, I say...Where was Mr. Big Boy when the playoffs came knocking?

Go look at what other TE's done in the playoffs and see for yourself how well he done, or didn't do, in comparison to the others.

Hell, in 97, poor old Ted Popson caught 5 balls for 26 yds! LMAO!
Good point. Athough he didn't do all that much in the playoffs he DID do very well in pretty much all of Regualar-Season he played in, which would have greatly influenced the Chiefs in the Playoffs. Even id he doesn't catch too many in the playoffs.

But all in all, IMO he should've caught more (in the playoffs). I mean he was (I'm not used to saying he "was") our greatest offensive player, if not out best overall player!

Chiefster
07-17-2009, 01:43 PM
I understand Tony's point of view and wish him luck, but the "Homer" in me hopes he sees this as a big mistake.

AussieChiefsFan
07-17-2009, 11:13 PM
I understand Tony's point of view and wish him luck, but the "Homer" in me hopes he sees this as a big mistake.A fair bit of me hopes he eventually relizes that he made a very big mistake.....

Canada
07-18-2009, 12:53 AM
All of me no longer gives a sh!t. Hes gone. Don't let the door hit ya in the as$ on the way out!!

Canada
07-22-2009, 04:03 PM
I agree, once he left it stopped being a concern for me as well. If he returns I doubt I could look the same towards him. He will still be a HOF TE but whether he goes in as a Chief or Falcon doesn't concern me anymore.You would know, you are a voter in the HOF comittee.