PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs fans buying tickets for Cowboys, Steelers games pay for exhibitions, too

Guru
07-21-2009, 03:33 AM
Chiefs fans buying tickets for Cowboys, Steelers games pay for exhibitions, too - Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1336915.html)

One of the NFL’s greatest marketing ploys is requiring season-ticket holders to buy two exhibition games at full price. Now, the Chiefs are extending this practice to single-game tickets for certain games.

When single-game tickets go on sale to the public on July 31, fans wanting to buy tickets to the Oct. 11 game against Dallas must buy comparable tickets to the preseason game against the Houston Texans on Aug. 15.

Likewise, anyone wanting to buy tickets to see the Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers on Nov. 22 must buy an equal number of tickets to the exhibition game against Seattle on Aug. 29.

The other six regular-season home games don’t have a preseason provision.

This procedure is designed to accomplish several things. The Cowboys and Steelers will be big draws, and by forcing fans to buy the designated preseason games, the Chiefs can be assured of better crowds — or at least better paid attendance — than they’d normally get for those two exhibition games.

Tacking those exhibitions onto the Steelers and Cowboys games can help the Chiefs reach sellouts and avoid TV blackouts for the preseason games.

Also, the Cowboys and Steelers have huge national followings. The Steelers haven’t played in KC since 2003; the Cowboys haven’t been at Arrowhead since 1998 and may not return for another six years if the NFL maintains its current scheduling format.

Arrowhead Stadium turned into Green Bay South when the Packers played in Kansas City a couple of years ago. The Chiefs undoubtedly would prefer that not happen again, but if it does, at least they’ll get double the money from Dallas and Pittsburgh fans.

Jackson County residents will be able to buy single-game tickets starting July 29. For that sale, tickets may be purchased at the temporary Arrowhead Stadium box office in Lot D or select Kansas City-area Ticketmaster outlets. No Internet or telephone orders will be accepted for this sale.

Jackson County taxpayers buying tickets must have one form of identification including a photo of the person making the purchase plus a 2008 Jackson County personal property tax receipt. Spouses residing at the same address will be allowed to purchase tickets, even if the property receipt is in the other spouse’s name.

A list of Ticketmaster locations participating in the Jackson County sale is at www.kcchiefs.com (http://www.kcchiefs.com/).

The general public sale begins at 10 a.m. July 31, at the temporary Arrowhead box office or from Ticketmaster and 800-745-3000. Purchasers may use cash or major credit cards.

Chiefster
07-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Wow, why to setup flaming hoops to jump through just in order to go to a football game.

Bike
07-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Wow, why to setup flaming hoops to jump through just in order to go to a football game.
No doubt. Who wants to spend extra money to go to a pre-season game you either don't want to see or can't see? What a crock. I see it backfiring in this economy...

Chiefster
07-21-2009, 12:47 PM
No doubt. Who wants to spend extra money to go to a pre-season game you either don't want to see or can't see? What a crock. I see it backfiring in this economy...

I can't see John Q. Chiefs Fan being extremely happy about this.

Bike
07-21-2009, 12:50 PM
I can't see John Q. Chiefs Fan being extremely happy about this.
I'm not sure who this John Q. is, but I share his opinion. :D

Chiefster
07-21-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm not sure who this John Q. is, but I share his opinion. :D

Me too, although I'll not be able to attend a game this year.

hermhater
07-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Wow what a crock of crap.

I won't be going to either of those games.