PDA

View Full Version : 100% GUARANTEE that the chiefs WILL be making more moves before the season starts!

Big Daddy Tek
07-28-2009, 03:06 PM
The Chiefs are currently 30.16 million dollars under the salary cap. The salary cap for 2009 is 127 million, which means the chiefs have spent 96,840,000. According to NFL rules a team MUST spend ATLEAST 86.4% of the current salary cap, which would be 109,728,000. Meaning that the Chiefs still HAVE TO spend atleast 12,888,000 to qualify for the 2009 season. Pioli has about a month to spend 13 million dollars!

The question is not, IF we will get somebody else, It's WHO else we will get!

Chiefster
07-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Good question.

dbolan
07-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Maybe we also take care of a few extensions, etc?

dbolan
07-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Also, we have a few that are still unsigned and one is our first round pick.

Chiefster
07-28-2009, 03:35 PM
Wonder how long that will last?

Big Daddy Tek
07-28-2009, 03:36 PM

Good point Bolan. Even after rookie signings, we are still gonna have to pick up 2-3 players to make up the difference though.

honda522
07-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Another Olineman. It would pretty badass if we got Boldin, I don't think it will happen.

jmlamerson
07-28-2009, 04:25 PM
Good point Bolan. Even after rookie signings, we are still gonna have to pick up 2-3 players to make up the difference though.

Good thread.

It's a good point about the rookies, but the Chiefs rookie pool is $5,538,247 for 2009 (that's salary cap figure, not including the whole signing bonus). Even assuming we spend every cent of that, it will still leave us over $7M to spend.

Tell the truth, it's hard to see who we could extend except DJ, and I doubt we'll break the bank for him. We're a year early for Bowe and Pollard, and a few years early for Albert, Flowers, and Carr. It wouldn't be terrible to lock up Thigpen and Bradley, but both have issues (Thigpen might want to be a starter somewhere in 2010, Bradley has injury concerns). We had the chance to extend Page and Niswanger and instead signed them to the tender (which was the smart move).

As for FA signings, shoot. I dunno. Burress would be an awfully tempting idea. The fact that he accidentally shot himself means he's an idiot, but it doesn't mean he'd be a bad teammate. Levi Jones, Jonas Jennings, and Mark Tauscher would be decent pickups at RT. Pete Kendall or Jason Whittle would be a terrific backup OG. Travis LaBoy makes sense at OLB, given Haley's connections. Roosevelt Colvin could work at OLB too. RW McQuarters would be a good special teams, nickel-CB, player. Bubba Franks at TE, maybe.

jmlamerson
07-28-2009, 04:28 PM
Another Olineman. It would pretty badass if we got Boldin, I don't think it will happen.

If we could somehow turn the Tony G. 2nd rounder and maybe a 5th rounder into Boldin, that would be incredible. I don't think the Cards part with him though.

Pro_Angler
07-28-2009, 05:53 PM
Nobody and I repeat nobod will sign Burress he is going to JAIL! YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH atleast a year most likely 2..should be 12

Big Daddy Tek
07-28-2009, 06:34 PM
Nobody and I repeat nobod will sign Burress he is going to JAIL! YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH atleast a year most likely 2..should be 12

Why should he go to jail, cause he shot himself? Thats stupid. He's an idiot but he shouldnt go to jail. He had a concealed weapons permit for florida which links up to alot of other states lawfully. Unfortunatly New York is not one of those states. You and the grand Jury in New York are dying to get him into jail because he's a pro athlete and thats sad.

Big Daddy Tek
07-28-2009, 06:49 PM
No he deserves to go to jail for unlawfully carrying a gun and because he shot himself. I dont care if he is a pro athlete or joe shmoe. His dumb choices put other people in danger as obvious it is because he has no gun smarts. Matt jones marvin harrison are some other names you could toss out. Id like to see levi jones at Rt

Well atleast you have a reason behind your opinion and I agree Levi Jones at RT would be great.

jmlamerson
07-28-2009, 06:57 PM
No he deserves to go to jail for unlawfully carrying a gun and because he shot himself. I dont care if he is a pro athlete or joe shmoe. His dumb choices put other people in danger as obvious it is because he has no gun smarts. Matt jones marvin harrison are some other names you could toss out. Id like to see levi jones at Rt

Here's the thing. If it were you or me in KC, our not being NFL players, and we did the exact same thing, we wouldn't go to jail. We'd get laughed at, we might face a fine, community service, and/or probation, but jail wouldn't even be on the table. People have turned a small deal into a big one because they think sending a message is the most important thing.

And I can't believe someone interested in character would toss out the names Matt Jones or Marvin Harrison.

Big Daddy Tek
07-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Here's the thing. If it were you or me in KC, our not being NFL players, and we did the exact same thing, we wouldn't go to jail. We'd get laughed at, we might face a fine, community service, and/or probation, but jail wouldn't even be on the table. People have turned a small deal into a big one because they think sending a message is the most important thing.

And I can't believe someone interested in character would toss out the names Matt Jones or Marvin Harrison.

My point exactly

slc chief
07-28-2009, 07:34 PM

100% agree him being in new york did not help matters any either what a shame because he is a damn good receiver

YZILLA
07-28-2009, 09:28 PM
I would love to see Boldin wearing a Arrowhead on his helmet this year!

Vanilla Garilla
07-28-2009, 10:01 PM
Great Thread Tek! You have peaked my interest now, and I'm leaning towards a WR.

Coach
07-28-2009, 10:04 PM
Vince Wilfork wants a new deal. Maybe we could pull off a sign and trade to get our franchise NT. It's a pipe dream, but oh well.

Otherwise, I'd love to see us pick up some o-line help or a more dependable #2 WR. I also think it makes sense for the Chiefs to try to get a contract extension done for Bowe.

DMN
07-28-2009, 11:36 PM

I would say Braylon Edwards should have seen serious jail time. Both players are in the wrong. But he got 30 days... what a joke.

And I dont mean to stray off thread. I am for o line all the way. I want a WR but I dont really think there is one in free agency right now. if we were gonna trade for one I think we would have already done it. they would have to be in camp if they were to be a starter. Maybe haley sees something in Copper or Jones that we cant. I guess time will tell. But we need to run the ball.

pbatrucker
07-29-2009, 12:44 AM
They cut the kicker real early, clearing a roster spot. IMO someone is going to be signed pretty soon.

AussieChiefsFan
07-29-2009, 03:23 AM
The Chiefs are currently 30.16 million dollars under the salary cap. The salary cap for 2009 is 127 million, which means the chiefs have spent 96,840,000. According to NFL rules a team MUST spend ATLEAST 86.4% of the current salary cap, which would be 109,728,000. Meaning that the Chiefs still HAVE TO spend atleast 12,888,000 to qualify for the 2009 season. Pioli has about a month to spend 13 million dollars!

The question is not, IF we will get somebody else, It's WHO else we will get!

I wonder Who It'll be!!

"Pioli has a month to spend 13 Million doller!" :lol: :yahoo:

cyrus12009
07-29-2009, 04:07 AM
Boldin can be a good choice but when will that happen? I mean the last time we heard something was the ousting of Connor Barth. Still seems that Haley and company is more focussed on OUT's than IN's.

Guru
07-29-2009, 04:39 AM
I was really hoping Pioli wouldn't let contract negotiations last as long as Carl did. I guess he still has until camp starts before it ticks me off though.

brish
07-29-2009, 05:28 AM
I really hope we get both Jackson and Magee signed before camp, we will need them this season, and they need all the camp time they can get!
Another WR would be awesome, but other than Boldin i can't think of anyone i'd like to have. Not Burress! I don't like his attitude.
A rush linebacker and more depth at the O-line is also really high on my wish list, I don't want Cassel to get killed his first season with us.

Travis Laboy as a rushing LB might not be the worst idea ever.. We have alot of question marks with the ones we are trying to convert at the moment. My biggest problem with them is that they might not be fast enough.
A big name splash would be awesome though! :)

dbolan
07-29-2009, 08:25 AM

I would not mind seeing Levi Jones signed either. That would help us in a thin area on offense.

In addition to the bold text above, Burress has also been a locker room threat as well.

The Steelers cut him for reasons and the Giants babied him for as long as they could until they got tired of his whiny crap, then they started fining and suspending him.

He plays when he wants to play and has the mentality of being a primadonna.

Marvin Harrison has never had an issue until this last ordeal and if I am not mistaken, the same applies to Matt Jones. Harrison does not have a conviction.

Burress, on the other hand, has had multiple run-ins with the law which include repeated traffic violations (reckless driving), domestic disputes, the "gun" incident and in addition to that, he is a tight arse when it comes to paying for his purchases. IE, the the repairs on a Suburban that he mucked up.

I think he is a punk thug that believes he is above the law either in public or in the NFL.

Forget burress. He poses more of a threat to our Chiefs than an asset.

KottkeKU
07-29-2009, 01:20 PM
we should sign Derrick Brooks to play outside instead of Tamba...

Chief Tyler
07-29-2009, 01:55 PM
I was really hoping Pioli wouldn't let contract negotiations last as long as Carl did. I guess he still has until camp starts before it ticks me off though.

When you're dealing with a 3rd overall pick and an agent who is using quarterback salary as a basis for negotation, it's going to take a while. I'd rather Pioli take his time and get the price right instead of agreeing to something (even more) ridiculous. If Pioli doesn't get the price right, it's bad for us and the rest of the league when signing future picks.

jmlamerson
07-29-2009, 01:59 PM
we should sign Derrick Brooks to play outside instead of Tamba...

Derrick Brooks is waaayyyyyy to small to play OLB in the 3-4.

jmlamerson
07-29-2009, 08:16 PM
Brooks cant be any worse than MCbride or Tamba at olb.

1. No one can possibly know how good or bad McBride or Hali will be at OLB.

2. Monty Beisel or DJ would be a better OLB than Brooks if Hali/McBride turn out to be worthless.

3. Brooks is too small and old to play OLB in the 4-3.

4. If we put Brooks in, teams will just run at our rookie DE (it doesn't matter which one) and our undersized OLB all day.

5. We're not getting a pass rush from Derrick Brooks at the OLB spot.

6. There are real 3-4 OLBs still available in FA.

Look, I could understand wanting him as a reserve ILB, but it's a pipe dream to project Derrick Brooks as a starter at OLB in a 3-4 in 2009.

Vanilla Garilla
07-29-2009, 10:14 PM
If we sign anyone it will be an OL or WR, more than likely a solid #2 WR.

Chiefster
07-29-2009, 11:22 PM
I just want the Chiefs to win regardless of who they sign.

kuchief
07-30-2009, 01:58 AM
the only guy out there right now that I want is WR Matt Jones, he'll be cheap and it could pay off big time

okikcfan
07-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Well, what ever happens and whomever Pioli signs should prove to be interesting. I do like how Haley is handling the job as HC so far. It's been up front straight forward no BS type of coach and that's something we have not seen in a long time. GO CHIEFS

Vanilla Garilla
07-30-2009, 07:35 PM
i like your sig ALMOSt as much as mine!

I like both of your sigs, it actually gets me to read your posts...lol jk.

hometeam
07-30-2009, 08:29 PM
I think we should pick up marvin harrison. This thread all about the cap being there, we can get him on at least for the veteran leadership and hes gotta be better than engram.

alos levi jones would be a welcome addition, as well as anyone that can add depth.

AkChief49
07-31-2009, 05:15 AM
I think we should pick up marvin harrison. This thread all about the cap being there, we can get him on at least for the veteran leadership and hes gotta be better than engram.

alos levi jones would be a welcome addition, as well as anyone that can add depth.
is there room for two LJ's?:D Levi would be ok by me.

Coach
08-01-2009, 11:29 PM
We have enough cap room to sign ALL of the players that have been mentioned so far in this thread. I wonder if we get any of them.

Chiefster
08-01-2009, 11:35 PM
We have enough cap room to sign ALL of the players that have been mentioned so far in this thread. I wonder if we get any of them.

Good question. I think Clark Hunt likes to remain a certain amount under the cap, but ,as always, i could be wrong.

wolfpack
08-02-2009, 12:15 PM
someteam offered the cards a 2nd and a 4th and they didnt take it, so even if we have the money scotty probably wont give more. but then again if bowe and company keep dropping passes he might.

SDChief09
08-02-2009, 04:40 PM
if they have to spend it, and if you add in all the comments from kc insiders saying that the chiefs are about to make a "big" move...it makes you wonder if it is indeed Boldin....heck even Peppers.

I will say if they deal for Boldin, sign Leboy....this team could be effective this year in the afc west

Chief Tyler
08-02-2009, 06:20 PM
if they have to spend it, and if you add in all the comments from kc insiders saying that the chiefs are about to make a "big" move...it makes you wonder if it is indeed Boldin....heck even Peppers.

I will say if they deal for Boldin, sign Leboy....this team could be effective this year in the afc west

Who's been saying the Chiefs have yet to make a big move? Somebody close to the source?