PDA

View Full Version : How much could we get for Thigpen?

Seek
08-02-2009, 12:14 PM
With Minnesota hurting for a QB. What kind of trade could we get for Thigpen, and would it be worth it.

wolfpack
08-02-2009, 12:18 PM
with our o-line we need to keep thigyy. we know what we got in him. brodie would get hurt running from the sideline to the huddle.

pbatrucker
08-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Thiggy is not going anywhere this year. he's the only viable option behind Cassel.

jmlamerson
08-02-2009, 01:06 PM
With Minnesota hurting for a QB. What kind of trade could we get for Thigpen, and would it be worth it.

Minnestoa won't trade for Thigpen, even if Jackson's MCL injury turns out to be serious. They'll start Rosenfels and keep Booty as the backup. Thigpen is the exactly wrong type of QB for their system. They need an accurate guy who can heave the ball downfield and keep defenses honest so they can run AP/Taylor.

Two trades would make sense for Thigpen:

1. Trade Thigpen to the Panthers for Josh McNown and a 4th rounder. The Panthers have an aging team built to win now. Delhomme can't be trusted to stay healthy and Thigpen >>> McNown as a backup.

2. Trade Thigpen to to Tennessee for Patrick Ramsey and a 4th rounder. Same thing really. There a veteran team with an old QB built to win now.

I agree that we should keep him, though, in 2009. He knows our system and players and is a great backup QB. The only issue is him walking in 2010 and us getting nothing.

My preference would be to sign him to a long term deal, something like 4 years/$9M. I think he'd sign, as he physically is not a NFL prototype at QB (in terms of accuracy, style, or height), and we'd get the benefit of keeping one of the better backup QBs (and a fan favorite) in case Cassel goes down.

yashi
08-02-2009, 01:19 PM
I want to keep Thigpen long term, but I fully expect him to test free agency next season. There will be teams that are interested.

jason1981
08-03-2009, 04:10 AM
i say wait til the trade dead line then trade him if we can get good value.

warcrychief
08-03-2009, 03:10 PM
why would you want 2 give up Tyler? if Cassel doenst pan out we know Tyler is an a good starter. Just needs to know how to win.

Coach
08-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Trade Thigpen for a 4th rounder and a washup, no thanks. I really liked Thigpen last year. I like the idea of having two capable Qb's on this team. Croyle isn't one of them.

jmlamerson
08-03-2009, 10:28 PM
Trade Thigpen for a 4th rounder and a washup, no thanks. I really liked Thigpen last year. I like the idea of having two capable Qb's on this team. Croyle isn't one of them.

I didn't say I'd do the trade, just that it's probably the best we could get for him.

Chiefster
08-03-2009, 10:31 PM
Trade Thigpen for a 4th rounder and a washup, no thanks. I really liked Thigpen last year. I like the idea of having to capable Qb's on this team. Croyle isn't one of them.

Agreed! We need a capable backup who can do the job without missing a beat.

slimdagreat
08-04-2009, 04:08 PM
i say wait til the trade dead line then trade him if we can get good value.

NFL teams rarely trade during the season, and they sure as hell don't trade QBs when they do.

Seek
08-05-2009, 12:47 PM
why would you want 2 give up Tyler? if Cassel doenst pan out we know Tyler is an a good starter. Just needs to know how to win.

A. I don't want to give him up. I also didn't want to give up Tony G. If the right offer came over, the Chiefs would have to listen.

B. Reports that I have heard coming out of camp is that Cassel is by far the best QB out there, followed distantly by Croyle, then Thigpen and then Martin. Thigpen may not even be our #2 guy. If that is the case, his highest trade value is now.

CKENN19
08-06-2009, 09:57 AM
with our o-line we need to keep thigyy. we know what we got in him. brodie would get hurt running from the sideline to the huddle.
All that needs to be said wolfpack... but I'll add....

You won't get much for him and besides... why would we give him up when we've needed backup QBs every season since... i don't remember the last time we didn't?

Hell... I'm actually reserving judgement that he'll do a better job than Cassell. Thigpen was lighting it up after he got comfortable... and then he's back to the bench.

isht_starter
08-06-2009, 10:20 AM
It's hard to believe the number of fans that have such a warped opinion about Tyler's skills. Must be the same group of fans that believed in players like Marc Boerigter, R-Kal Truluk, and Boomer Grigsby.

Seek
08-07-2009, 01:27 PM
It is starting to sound like Thigpen may not even make the team.

theaxeeffect4311
08-07-2009, 08:29 PM
It is starting to sound like Thigpen may not even make the team.

I heard that as well. I don't see Gutierrez being a factor as well, so I think Thigpen can still be at least the third QB. But if the Chiefs are able to grab any value out of him, fourth or higher, then it's worth it.

CapitalT
08-08-2009, 03:07 PM
What Coach said

Chiefster
08-08-2009, 06:04 PM
What Coach said

What he said Coach said. :D

Seek
08-26-2009, 10:08 AM
There is now rumors out there that the Chiefs are shopping Thigpen for a mid round draft pick.

Another Rumor has the Chiefs and Jaguars in discussions for a trade, but the Chiefs want more than the 5th round JAX offered.

AkChief49
08-26-2009, 10:49 AM
There is now rumors out there that the Chiefs are shopping Thigpen for a mid round draft pick.

Another Rumor has the Chiefs and Jaguars in discussions for a trade, but the Chiefs want more than the 5th round JAX offered.
Chiefs want a third for him

AkChief49
08-26-2009, 11:36 AM
I'm sure they did not give up a third for Alleman and Undukwe?

Seek
08-26-2009, 02:03 PM
a 3rd is a bit much for a guy currently 4th on our depth chart.

yashi
08-26-2009, 02:40 PM
a 3rd is a bit much for a guy currently 4th on our depth chart.

Gretz says as of this morning's practice Thigpen looks to be the 2nd QB and got most of the 2nd team reps today.

KCINNYC
08-26-2009, 03:20 PM
Gretz says as of this morning's practice Thigpen looks to be the 2nd QB and got most of the 2nd team reps today.

I bet they are giving him second team reps to pretend he is the #2 guy and his stock goes up...Pioli knows what he is doing

KottkeKU
08-26-2009, 05:44 PM
i would be surprised if we could get a third rounder for thigpen..i dont know if he is worth less than a 3rd rounder, but a capable backup can be important...but not for us, as we are still rebuilding...we need all the picks we can get...i would take a third in a heartbeat, not so sure about a 4th though...hes definitely worth more than a 5th rounder (to me atleast)...

jason1981
08-26-2009, 07:19 PM
i would take a 4th round pick for him. i would do it asap before Jackson from the Vikes goes on the block which would hurt his value.

Seek
08-27-2009, 01:19 PM
I bet they are giving him second team reps to pretend he is the #2 guy and his stock goes up...Pioli knows what he is doing

Well after watching Croyle against Minnesota, they could be giving Thigpen his shot to beat out Croyle.

It could be a ligit move, but I agree with you.

Chiefster
08-27-2009, 03:09 PM
i would be surprised if we could get a third rounder for thigpen..i dont know if he is worth less than a 3rd rounder, but a capable backup can be important...but not for us, as we are still rebuilding...we need all the picks we can get...i would take a third in a heartbeat, not so sure about a 4th though...hes definitely worth more than a 5th rounder (to me atleast)...

Well after watching Croyle against Minnesota, they could be giving Thigpen his shot to beat out Croyle.

It could be a ligit move, but I agree with you.

Well, at this point I have to believe that he has more trade value than does Croyle.

Coach
08-27-2009, 11:07 PM
Chiefs former 4th round picks:
2009: Donald Washington
2008: Will Franklin
2005: Craphonso Thorpe
2004: Samie Parker, Jared Allen
2003: Brett Williams
2002: Omar Easy
2001: Monty Beisel, George Layne
2000: Frank Moreau
1999: Larry Parker
1998: Greg Favors
1997: Pat Barnes
1996: Donnie Edwards
1995: Steve Stenstrom
1994: Bracey Walker
1993: Jaime Fields
1992: Mike Evans
1990: Fred Jones

Out of those 19 picks, only 2 turned out to be good long-term players(Edwards and Allen). If they trade Thigpen, I would much prefer it to be for a starting offensive lineman.

jmlamerson
08-27-2009, 11:13 PM
Chiefs former 4th round picks:
2009: Donald Washington
2008: Will Franklin
2005: Craphonso Thorpe
2004: Samie Parker, Jared Allen
2003: Brett Williams
2002: Omar Easy
2001: Monty Beisel, George Layne
2000: Frank Moreau
1999: Larry Parker
1998: Greg Favors
1997: Pat Barnes
1996: Donnie Edwards
1995: Steve Stenstrom
1994: Bracey Walker
1993: Jaime Fields
1992: Mike Evans
1990: Fred Jones

Out of those 19 picks, only 2 turned out to be good long-term players(Edwards and Allen). If they trade Thigpen, I would much prefer it to be for a starting offensive lineman.

There isn't a GM out there dumb enough to trade a starting OL for Thigpen.

And just because CP made lousy 4th round picks doesn't mean every Chiefs GM will. I mean, it's a little early to be judging the Washington pick, ya think.

Coach
08-27-2009, 11:24 PM
There isn't a GM out there dumb enough to trade a starting OL for Thigpen.

And just because CP made lousy 4th round picks doesn't mean every Chiefs GM will. I mean, it's a little early to be judging the Washington pick, ya think.

Kansas City Chiefs Forums - View Single Post - ESPN reporting Thigpen to Jacksonville (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showpost.php?p=150944&postcount=36)

CapitalT
09-02-2009, 08:11 PM
I guess I'm one the few that actually thinks that Thigpen could actually lead this team to some success. I wouldn't trade him unless it was for an offensive lineman. He's the only quarterback we've had that has shown he can survive with the offensive line that we have.

Canada
09-02-2009, 08:59 PM
I guess I'm one the few that actually thinks that Thigpen could actually lead this team to some success. I wouldn't trade him unless it was for an offensive lineman. He's the only quarterback we've had that has shown he can survive with the offensive line that we have.

My concern is how well does he do when we do have a good O line. I like Thigpen and I hope we keep him, but if he isnt scrambling, I worry about his arm. I hope whoever is behind center is successful but Tyler is at best a short term solution.

CapitalT
09-03-2009, 12:00 AM
My concern is how well does he do when we do have a good O line. I like Thigpen and I hope we keep him, but if he isnt scrambling, I worry about his arm. I hope whoever is behind center is successful but Tyler is at best a short term solution.
In the long term I agree with you - when we get this o-line problem fixed. He may not be best quarterback if we had any kind of a line. Right now though - we will probably need somebody like him - a tough durable work-horse.

AkChief49
09-03-2009, 04:50 AM
In the long term I agree with you - when we get this o-line problem fixed. He may not be best quarterback if we had any kind of a line. Right now though - we will probably need somebody like him - a tough durable work-horse.
with a bit more Quarter Horse in him- he'll have to be fast off the line:D