PDA

View Full Version : Amani Toomer working out for the Chiefs

DT14PRIEST
08-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Chiefs Workout WRs Amani Toomer, David Terrell and Release G Edwin*Harrison - Arrowhead Pride (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/8/3/976182/chiefs-workout-wrs-amani-toomer)

Thoughts?

Opinions?

Discourse at your own discretion.

jmlamerson
08-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Chiefs Workout WRs Amani Toomer, David Terrell and Release G Edwin*Harrison - Arrowhead Pride (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/8/3/976182/chiefs-workout-wrs-amani-toomer)

Thoughts?

Opinions?

Discourse at your own discretion.

Toomer is a tough sure handed reciever used to playing outside in the grass. He'd be perfect, even if not as a #2, at least as the 3WR.

Terrell I'm less enthused with. Oft-injured and makes Bowe look sure-handed.

DT14PRIEST
08-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Toomer is a tough sure handed reciever used to playing outside in the grass. He'd be perfect, even if not as a #2, at least as the 3WR.

Terrell I'm less enthused with. Oft-injured and makes Bowe look sure-handed.

Terrell's been cut by every team he's played for I think... Don't quote me on that but did he even play last season? I don't even remember him being drafted.

jmlamerson
08-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Terrell's been cut by every team he's played for I think... Don't quote me on that but did he even play last season? I don't even remember him being drafted.

Every FA out there has been cut by someone. I'm not the biggest Terrell fan. He spent most of the past three (?) seasons on I/R with the Seahawks. I think he was drafted by the Bears in 1999 or 2000.

hometeam
08-03-2009, 09:50 PM
if we are just not gonna go after Harrison, Toomer would do well as a hands/mentor type.

jmlamerson
08-03-2009, 09:55 PM
if we are just not gonna go after Harrison, Toomer would do well as a hands/mentor type.

Toomer fits our needs much, much better than Harrison. Harrison doesn't do well outdoors or in pressure situations, and frankly I don't trust him to be a good WR without Manning throwing him.

DT14PRIEST
08-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Every FA out there has been cut by someone. I'm not the biggest Terrell fan. He spent most of the past three (?) seasons on I/R with the Seahawks. I think he was drafted by the Bears in 1999 or 2000.

I get that I just meant that he'd never really turned into the staple WR for any team for any length of time.

They said 8th overall in 2001. Probably why I don't remember him being drafted since Vick/LT/Richard Seymour and a plethora of other Pro Bowl players were drafted in the same class.

Coach
08-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Harrison doesn't do well outdoors or in pressure situations

Harrison doesn't do good in pressure situations....:lol: :lol: :lol:

honda522
08-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Sounds good to me. I like seeing the attempts to bring in more talent and be even more prepared to take the AFC West!

DT14PRIEST
08-03-2009, 10:05 PM
The guys got solid hands and played at the Meadowlands for ~13 years through good and bad. If anything the Chiefs need recivers that can catch at least if what Haley is saying is true and too many balls are hitting the ground.

jmlamerson
08-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Harrison doesn't do good in pressure situations....:lol: :lol: :lol:
Harrison is one of the greatest regular season WRs of all time. But did you ever see him in a playoff game? He never had a great one, and was pretty awful in most.

pbatrucker
08-03-2009, 10:10 PM
I think it would be a good signing. We badly need another consistant WR.

Big Daddy Tek
08-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Looks like ESPN is reporting the Chiefs are close to a deal with Toomer:

Sources: Chiefs may sign Toomer (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-2544/Sources--Chiefs-may-sign-Toomer.html)http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2008/09/8.jpg (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/profile/violation?ou=afcwestadmin&at=7&vid=1249351819423)

August 3, 2009 10:25 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

The Kansas City Chiefs are leaning toward signing veteran receiver Amani Toomer, according to two NFL sources.
Toomer could be signed as soon as Tuesday if the Chiefs follow through their current thinking, the sources said. Toomer was one of three veteran receivers Kansas City worked out Monday as their early training-camp work showed the team they may need more help for new quarterback Matt Cassel.
Kansas City also looked at receivers D.J. Hackett and David Terrell. Toomer is the most accomplished of the three. Despite the fact that he will turn 35 next month, Toomer can still be productive. He had 48 catches for the Giants last season, which was his 13th with the club.
Adding Toomer would be similar what the Chiefs are doing on defense: loading up on veteran leadership. With the core of the Kansas City roster very young, new general manager Scott Pioli and head coach Todd Haley, are adding leadership at key areas. The team has added linebackers Zach Thomas and Mike Vrabel and safety Mike Brown. All three players are known leaders.
Earlier this offseason, the Chiefs signed veteran receiver Bobby Engram. Toomer would likely play a similar role and give Cassel another steady hand to play with. Toomer is not going to burn teams with his speed, but he will come up with some solid plays and he can help this team take the next step.
He has a reputation as being a leader who helps young players. He has 668 career catches and a Super Bowl ring to show his young teammates if he ends up in Kansas City. He is less than two years removed from winning a Super Bowl (over Pioli's Patriots). That type of veteran experience can only help.
If the Chiefs get this deal done, it won't make them an instant playoff contender. But it will be another positive step made by the new regime.

jmlamerson
08-04-2009, 12:06 AM
Everyone's missing the big question here. Which WR is going to get cut:

Dwayne Bowe (no)
Bobby Engram (probably not, Pioli FA)
Quentin Lawrence (probably not, Pioli pick)
Terrance Copper (probably not, Pioli FA)
Jeff Webb (probably not, as we tendered him)
Taurus Johnson (probably not, as he'll probably be our KR/PR)
Mark Bradley
Devard Darling
Rodney Wright

Am I missing someone? If not, it's probably Bradley, Darling, or Wright. And Bradley is the only one who doesn't do special teams.

royalswin100games
08-04-2009, 12:16 AM
D.J. Hackett

stricken721
08-04-2009, 12:19 AM
I would say Terrance Copper gets cut... Who knows.

royalswin100games
08-04-2009, 12:23 AM
Does Amani really have the legs anymore? Does Engram?

From what I understand, Hackett has some speed. Amani would be an outstanding pickup for mentorship reasons but Hackett would fit in the slot.

jap1
08-04-2009, 12:29 AM
Everyone's missing the big question here. Which WR is going to get cut:

Dwayne Bowe (no)
Bobby Engram (probably not, Pioli FA)
Quentin Lawrence (probably not, Pioli pick)
Terrance Copper (probably not, Pioli FA)
Jeff Webb (probably not, as we tendered him)
Taurus Johnson (probably not, as he'll probably be our KR/PR)
Mark Bradley
Devard Darling
Rodney Wright

Am I missing someone? If not, it's probably Bradley, Darling, or Wright. And Bradley is the only one who doesn't do special teams.

Given the fact that teams rarely carry more than 5 WRs on a roster, I think we have to see at least one of the Pioli picks drop to the practice squad by the time the final cuts come down. I think Lawrence, Copper, and Johnson are the most at risk, because I dont think they have done anything impressive yet in OTA's/camp.

Chiefster
08-04-2009, 12:36 AM
Well, this will raise the bar a bit.

Coach
08-04-2009, 07:45 AM
I would say Terrance Copper gets cut... Who knows.

I agree on Copper. Wasn't he brought here to be a KR? He didn't even return kicks in practice yesterday. I think Devard Darling will get shown the door as well.

yashi
08-04-2009, 09:45 AM
For some reason I had a feeling Toomer was one of the 3 guys.

The thing I don't like? Signing Toomer would make 2 of our probable top 3 receivers 35 or older.

With all the character concerns, I'd still rather take a flyer on Matt Jones. He's only 26, and he was on pace for 1000+ yards last season before his suspension. We need some younger guys that Cassel can build a rapport with. And we have some cash to throw his way. Hopefully he won't use it to snort cocaine out of...

AkChief49
08-04-2009, 11:46 AM
For some reason I had a feeling Toomer was one of the 3 guys.

The thing I don't like? Signing Toomer would make 2 of our probable top 3 receivers 35 or older.

With all the character concerns, I'd still rather take a flyer on Matt Jones. He's only 26, and he was on pace for 1000+ yards last season before his suspension. We need some younger guys that Cassel can build a rapport with. And we have some cash to throw his way. Hopefully he won't use it to snort cocaine out of...I agree . He(Jones) also has 4.3 speed. pretty fast, especially for a guy 6'-6". Probably get him a little cheap? or at least a safety clause in the contract.

Chiefster
08-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Looks like ESPN is reporting the Chiefs are close to a deal with Toomer:

Sources: Chiefs may sign Toomer (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-2544/Sources--Chiefs-may-sign-Toomer.html)http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2008/09/8.jpg (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/profile/violation?ou=afcwestadmin&at=7&vid=1249351819423)

August 3, 2009 10:25 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

The Kansas City Chiefs are leaning toward signing veteran receiver Amani Toomer, according to two NFL sources.
Toomer could be signed as soon as Tuesday ...

Any breaking news on this???

AkChief49
08-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Any breaking news on this???I believe we just signed him to a one year deal...

AkChief49
08-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Chiefs sign wide receiver Amani Toomer - Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/1363658.html) yep!

Chiefster
08-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks AK; I had since heard the good news! WooHoo!

CKENN19
08-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Bowe, Toomer, Bradley, Webb, Engram, Darling and 2 rookies.

That puts Terrell in a make or break place.

Terrell is probably one of those guys who may be cut or may be a huge addition. He's been non-existent since 2004. When he's healthy, he's good. He should be one to keep an eye on, cause he could go one way or the other.

yashi
08-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Bowe, Toomer, Bradley, Webb, Engram, Darling and 2 rookies.

That puts Terrell in a make or break place.

Terrell is probably one of those guys who may be cut or may be a huge addition. He's been non-existent since 2004. When he's healthy, he's good. He should be one to keep an eye on, cause he could go one way or the other.

Who?

DT14PRIEST
08-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Exactly, I have no idea who Terrell is myself.:sign0153:

David Terrel worked out for the Chiefs. I don't think they've added him to the camp roster though let alone signed him.