PDA

View Full Version : Ingle Martin cut, Matt Gutierrez signed from Patriots

Big Daddy Tek
08-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Bob Gretz reported last night that Ingle Martin was cut. Many believed that he was cut in order to make room for Tyson Jackson (wishful thinking.) Scout.com has just reported that the cut was to make room for Matt Gutierrez, the backup QB from New England. Martin was our #4 QB so what does that make Matt Gutierrez now? You know Pioli must like him and knows alot about him. My guess is that Brodie is out of here. After all, we still have Tyson to sign and probably 2 more free agents before we hit the magic salary number, so There will be more cuts.

AkChief49
08-05-2009, 09:48 PM
wow just, wow the Pats let him(MG) go in favor of Walter from Faiders?

Chiefster
08-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Bob Gretz reported last night that Ingle Martin was cut. Many believed that he was cut in order to make room for Tyson Jackson (wishful thinking.) Arrowhead Pride has just reported that the cut was to make room for Matt Gutierrez, the backup QB from New England. Martin was our #4 QB so what does that make Matt Gutierrez now? You know Pioli must like him and knows alot about him. My guess is that Brodie is out of here. After all, we still have Tyson to sign and probably 2 more free agents before we hit the magic salary number, so There will be more cuts.

This is inevitable; preseason and training camp is all about making the cut.

jmlamerson
08-05-2009, 10:18 PM
We're richer for having lost him. And for gaining Gutierrez. Thigpen is going to the practice squad maybe?

Coach
08-05-2009, 10:20 PM
If Gutierrrez or Martin ever had to play a down for the Chiefs, it would be a very sad day indeed.

jmlamerson
08-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Remember when Casey Printers played QB for a down last season. *That* was a sad day.

Big Daddy Tek
08-05-2009, 10:24 PM
We're richer for having lost him. And for gaining Gutierrez. Thigpen is going to the practice squad maybe?

We are gonna dress three QB's for sure. So do you propose that Thigpen moves to the practice squad because he is the new 4th QB, making Brodie 2 or 3?

jmlamerson
08-05-2009, 10:28 PM
My gut says either Gutierrez or Thigpen goes to the squad and we (inexplicably) keep Croyle at the 3QB.

Big Daddy Tek
08-05-2009, 10:34 PM
My gut says either Gutierrez or Thigpen goes to the squad and we (inexplicably) keep Croyle at the 3QB.

As you know, Ive had a feeling that Brodie would move himself up the chart. In todays camp review it said that he continued to "aw the crowd." Like you said, if this was flag football the guy would be gold. lol!

Chiefster
08-05-2009, 10:43 PM
As you know, Ive had a feeling that Brodie would move himself up the chart. In todays camp review it said that he continued to "aw the crowd." Like you said, if this was flag football the guy would be gold. lol!

HA! No doubt!

rodu
08-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Thigpen goes anywhere near the practice squad, he's going to get picked up asap

Hayvern
08-05-2009, 11:29 PM
Martin gone... one less reliever in the bullpen

jmlamerson
08-06-2009, 12:05 AM

Practice squad isn't waivers. You can't pick up guys from other teams' practice squads.

jason1981
08-06-2009, 04:29 AM
i thought you could sign a player off of anyother teams practice squad. Aint that how we got Thigpen.

AkChief49
08-06-2009, 05:49 AM
i thought you could sign a player off of anyother teams practice squad. Aint that how we got Thigpen.
Signing Practice Squad Players
# Under the current NFL Practice Squad Rules, any player who is under contract on a scout team is free to sign a player contract with any team in the league, without compensation to the franchise whose practice squad he is a member of. However, the signing must be completed at least six days before the signing team's next game (10 days in the case of a bye week). after all teams have set their 53-man rosters prior to opening day and each team has passed 24-hours on acquiring the contracts of every other player waived by the other 31 NFL teams, each team may sign up to 8 players to occupy its developmental Practice Squad. These players practice with their teams but cannot dress on game days.

Further, any other team may claim a team's PS player on waivers at any given time during the season -- the only stipulation to this is that the team signing the PS player must immediately add that player to its 53-man roster.

A player is elibible for the PS if he:

* Has no prior Accrued Seasons in the NFL
* has one prior Accrued Season in which he was on the 45-man active roster for no more than 8 games
* Has been on the PS with the particular team no more than 2 prior seasons

pbatrucker
08-06-2009, 07:03 AM
:funnypost: you're kidding right!!! About thigpen that is

windwalker
08-06-2009, 07:36 AM

Vikings would get him back... :lol:

yashi
08-06-2009, 09:11 AM
Pioli loves him some Patriot scraps.

I'd be shocked if Gutierrez somehow passes Thigpen on the depth chart. He's done nothing in the NFL, and wasn't drafted. And apparently Andrew Walter is better. I'm glad we have him instead of Ingle Martin though.

jmlamerson
08-06-2009, 09:52 AM

I can't believe I never learned that before! Thanks for the heads up.

I now agree entirely that Thigpen shjould not be practice squad, and that it's a better place for Gutierrez.

isht_starter
08-06-2009, 11:13 AM
He is just too damn scared of getting hit and he can't handle it.

Never underestimate the ignorance of football fans. He's too scared of getting hit? I guess when a QB has the guts to stand in the pocket and deliver a pass when he knows he's about to get blown up constitutes fear in your opinion. A guy that's gone through serious injuries in college and pros and is willing to go through the surgeries and rehab to get back on the field is obviously consumed with fear.

Brodie may not be a good QB, but to call the kid scared of getting hit is absolutely ridiculous.

isht_starter
08-06-2009, 11:58 AM
I don't recall Croyle ever standing in the pocket knowing he will take a hit and delivering the ball to help us win a game, instead I remember him taking a hit , dropping the ball the other team recovering and him being carted off the field with a season ending injury. That is all I need to say.:sign0104:

Of course, just ignore both plays that knocked him out last year, especially the pass he made against Tennessee. He was obviously ridden with fear.

Big Daddy Tek
08-07-2009, 12:35 AM
I can't believe I never learned that before! Thanks for the heads up.

I now agree entirely that Thigpen shjould not be practice squad, and that it's a better place for Gutierrez.

As far as I know, you have to cut a player and send him to the waiver wire before you can send him to the practice squad. If he clears waivers (none picks him up) than you can send him to the prtactice squad.

Last offseason, as soon as the Vikings dropped Thigpen we signed him before he was able to clear the wire for the Vikings. The Vikings were all set to make him the practice squad QB and we stole him.

The only thing that Im not sure about, is the deadlines. I think the rules are different after a certain point in the season when you can just promote and demote off of the practice squad.

bigpoppachief
08-07-2009, 03:16 AM
I don't recall Croyle ever standing in the pocket knowing he will take a hit and delivering the ball to help us win a game, instead I remember him taking a hit , dropping the ball the other team recovering and him being carted off the field with a season ending injury. That is all I need to say.:sign0104:

LOL I love it. That gutirrez name rings a bell for some reason just dont know why.....

isht_starter
08-07-2009, 10:43 AM
I understand you like the guy and thats allgood but, I can't ignore the fact he has yet to win a game as the Chiefs starting QB. That is the main reason I would rather he go down the road rather than Thigpen. Brodie can turn on the juice when he is practicing and make everyone believe he is The Man when he isn't being hit but as soon as it becomes the real thing his abilities deminish and the real Brodie Croyle steps out for us to see. I think we can agree to disagree in this matter wouldn't you say?:bananen_smilies046:

Where did you read that I like the guy and what exactly are we agreeing to disagree on?

The point I made was that it's completely ridiculous to label him, or any player for that matter, "scared" when the guy has sustained several serious injuries only to return. There are several players that would have called it quits far sooner, but the kid has had the balls to battle back several times. For a player to not have been blessed with the physical prowess to absorb the punishment of the NFL, but is still willing to repeatedly throw himself out there takes guts, not fear.

AussieChiefsFan
08-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Bob Gretz reported last night that Ingle Martin was cut. Many believed that he was cut in order to make room for Tyson Jackson (wishful thinking.) Scout.com has just reported that the cut was to make room for Matt Gutierrez, the backup QB from New England. Martin was our #4 QB so what does that make Matt Gutierrez now? You know Pioli must like him and knows alot about him. My guess is that Brodie is out of here. After all, we still have Tyson to sign and probably 2 more free agents before we hit the magic salary number, so There will be more cuts.
Matt Gutierrez is jersey #0

Bike
08-08-2009, 12:39 AM
I am now a Matt Guitierrez fan. Whoever that is.

CapitalT
08-08-2009, 10:01 PM
I am now a Matt Guitierrez fan. Whoever that is.
LOL!