PDA

View Full Version : Cap Situation

yashi
08-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Anyone have any idea as to where we're sitting salary cap-wise, particularly after signing Jackson and Toomer?

chiefan
08-14-2009, 05:30 PM
I know Toomer got the veteran leauge minimum, but Tyson Jackson got more guaranteed money than any chief ever. Here is why we may be in trouble with our cap in the near future. Glenn Dorsey got the most guaranteed money of any chief ever when we signed him. Then Cassel did, now Tyson Jackson does. We are sitting here with 3 guys getting paid like franchise players. I am sure we have passed the 87%, or are very close to it.

Chiefster
08-14-2009, 05:52 PM
That is the problem I see with the agents.

DT14PRIEST
08-14-2009, 06:04 PM
- Chiefs were at roughly ~$30 million under the cap after Cassel signed

- Chiefs signed Jackson to a $57 million dollar contract with $31 million in gaurenteed cash over 5 years.

So just assume Jackson makes ~$11 million this year (I can't find contract details anywhere) and the Chiefs salary cap was at a straight ~$30 million before they signed him then the new cap space figure would be about ~$19 million.

Toomer signed for like ~$1 million so just subtract the one year total from the new cap space figure and you get $18 million dollars in cap space room to spend before the Chiefs hit the bottom line.\

So the Chiefs have anywhere from $15-20 million dollars in cap space.

McLovin
08-14-2009, 06:11 PM
The Cassel deal is front loaded, while he is getting a lot large deal he is getting the bulk of it in the first three years, opening up cap space in 3 years to resign and keep the players we are getting now cheap (2 - 5 round and other acquisitions) who do good in the next three years. Last year the Chiefs had a lot of cap space left over and there haven't been a wealth of talent that we have to pay huge right now to keep. This move makes for room in the future to keep the talent we have.

Most of this information I believe came from Soren Petro in the Red Zone Podcast from 7-15 with Will Shields. You can download and listen to any of these you want with iTunes or other software. I load them all to my iPhone and listen to them while I am in the car.

Big Daddy Tek
08-14-2009, 09:22 PM
Anyone have any idea as to where we're sitting salary cap-wise, particularly after signing Jackson and Toomer?

I was wondering where we stand too. We should be pretty close to the minimum spending mark.

Before the Toomer and T.J. signings we needed to spend 12.8 million to reach the minimum. T.J. will count for 11.4 this year and if DT14Priest is right than the 1 million that Toomer counts for should put us about 400k below still.