PDA

View Full Version : Cassel not the best QB at camp?

yashi
08-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Chiefs camp buzz: Haley not talking about Cassel’s play - Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1391816.html)

Matt Cassel’s play has slipped since the early portion of training camp, and Tuesday’s practice wasn’t his best. He missed some throws, including one when he had Quinten Lawrence open deep. The ball was slightly underthrown and intercepted by Brandon Flowers.

Cassel’s struggles began during an intrasquad scrimmage two weeks ago when he committed three turnovers. He has had a problem with turnovers since and lost a fumble during last week’s preseason opener against Houston.

Asked whether Cassel has been the best quarterback in camp, coach Todd Haley deferred.

“I think I’ll hold out on answering that right now,” he said.Kind of sickening in a way. I didn't expect to see any question that Cassel was the best QB on the team after giving him the monster contract. Hopefully things get better in the next few weeks.

captainamerica
08-19-2009, 01:40 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Croyle starts the next game in a couple days against the Vikes. That doesn't mean I think he'll be the starter at the regular season or that Cassel won't see significant playing time against the Vikes. I just wouldn't be surprised to see this happen. It'd give both Cassel and Croyle extra incentive to play and train harder and would be a play right out of the Todd Haley coaching book.

Chiefster
08-19-2009, 01:48 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Croyle starts the next game in a couple days against the Vikes. That doesn't mean I think he'll be the starter at the regular season or that Cassel won't see significant playing time against the Vikes. I just wouldn't be surprised to see this happen. It'd give both Cassel and Croyle extra incentive to play and train harder and would be a play right out of the Todd Haley coaching book.

...kinda what I was thinking.

okikcfan
08-19-2009, 02:08 PM

Bowe was knocked down to third string for dropping some ball so why can't Cassel get dropped down to the #2 spot for his performance on saturday? :owws:

honda522
08-19-2009, 02:32 PM
Bowe was knocked down to third string for dropping some ball so why can't Cassel get dropped down to the #2 spot for his performance on saturday? :owws:
Cassels balls were thrown perfectly. We just have some awful WR.

Jesus, why is everyone putting so much pressure on Cassel in camp? Do you think Brady, Manning, Brees, or some other high end QB looks like the best in camp?

yashi
08-19-2009, 03:34 PM

Jesus, why is everyone putting so much pressure on Cassel in camp? Do you think Brady, Manning, Brees, or some other high end QB looks like the best in camp?

No, but don't you think they sure as hell look better than the 3rd stringers?

Why are they putting so much pressure on him in camp? I can give you 63 million reasons... Big contracts don't come without expectations, and Haley doesn't strike me as the type who is going to give any player a free pass because of their paycheck. That's Herm Edwards style.

honda522
08-19-2009, 04:15 PM
No, but don't you think they sure as hell look better than the 3rd stringers?

Why are they putting so much pressure on him in camp? I can give you 63 million reasons... Big contracts don't come without expectations, and Haley doesn't strike me as the type who is going to give any player a free pass because of their paycheck. That's Herm Edwards style.
Yes, the WR's are TERRIBLE. During that game, he threw 5 passes. 2 which were complete, 3 in complete and out of the 3, 2 of them were dropped.

Your expecting what you saw in NE. That ain't going to happen. No Moss, no Welker, no Gaffney, no Backs to throw to.

Everyone has to realize that cassel is going to have to adjust to the new team mates, coaches, and coaching styles. Just back off and give him time.

yashi
08-19-2009, 04:23 PM
Yes, the WR's are TERRIBLE. During that game, he threw 5 passes. 2 which were complete, 3 in complete and out of the 3, 2 of them were dropped.

Your expecting what you saw in NE. That ain't going to happen. No Moss, no Welker, no Gaffney, no Backs to throw to.

Everyone has to realize that cassel is going to have to adjust to the new team mates, coaches, and coaching styles. Just back off and give him time.

I have no problem with how he played last Saturday. I actually though he looked pretty good. But I still don't like hearing about Brodie Croyle outplaying him in camp.

texaschief
08-19-2009, 04:29 PM

They had just as much pressure on them before the proved they could handle the position. Probably even more in some cases. Cassel hasn't proven anything yet. Until he does, he should be questioned as the #1 guy.

honda522
08-19-2009, 07:25 PM
They had just as much pressure on them before the proved they could handle the position. Probably even more in some cases. Cassel hasn't proven anything yet. Until he does, he should be questioned as the #1 guy.
:bananen_smilies046: You got that, but Cassel has proven more than anyone before training camp started.

I believe in Cassel though. In fact, I was against bringing in Cassel to begin with.

captainamerica
08-19-2009, 07:54 PM
:bananen_smilies046: You got that, but Cassel has proven more than anyone before training camp started.
I disagree. I know it's been said before, but it bears repeating. Thigpen put up numbers that were just as good as Cassel's and he did so with a lot less talent around him. I think the QB position should be up for grabs. If Thigpen or Croyle outplay Cassel than they deserve to be given the opportunity for the starting job.

pbatrucker
08-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Everyone needs to read Q&A with Haley 8/19. A lot of you as well as the press are taken what Haley said yesterday out of context. All he meant is that like every position, the QB position is an open competition and it wouldn't be fair to anyone to say who is doing better at this time. I would be surprised if Cassel isn't working with Bowe, Toomer and Engrim this week.

DT14PRIEST
08-19-2009, 09:02 PM
I disagree. I know it's been said before, but it bears repeating. Thigpen put up numbers that were just as good as Cassel's and he did so with a lot less talent around him. I think the QB position should be up for grabs. If Thigpen or Croyle outplay Cassel than they deserve to be given the opportunity for the starting job.

He also ran a gimmick offense geared especially for him, threw to the greatest Tight End of all time, and had a big target at WR in Dwayne Bowe.

Thigpen is an intriguing player with a very unique play style but, like I've said in a previous thread, if the Chiefs wanted a QB like Thigpen to run an offense then they should've gone for Vick who does everything Thig. does on the field only much better.

I like Thigpen as an athlete, don't get me wrong, but I don't want him playing QB for any sort of longevity. He's a trick player. A gadget guy at best.

Big Daddy Tek
08-19-2009, 09:06 PM
3 weeks ago, I said that when Brodie entered the competition he would take over. I said almost verbatim that Thigpen would stand no chance against him and it doesn't surprise me one bit that he is giving Cassell a hard time. Brodie is awsome. He is a pure bread QB with a cannon. Like JM said: "Brodie would be a HOF QB if this was flag football." I love that Quote J. Anyway, It's not flag football and unfortunatly if Brodie starts, the backup will be in soon after.

Hayvern
08-19-2009, 09:24 PM

Umm yeah, I would expect anyone of that calibre and playing experience to be pretty solid in camp

honda522
08-19-2009, 10:55 PM
Umm yeah, I would expect anyone of that calibre and playing experience to be pretty solid in camp
What experience other than last year did he have?

Pro_Angler
08-19-2009, 11:21 PM
Yea Cassels passes looked good in the game 9when they let him pass) the other qb's was given many more pass plays then cassell was. I love Brodie and always will but the bone head (throw the ball away) play cost us a win.

doobs_05
08-20-2009, 02:36 AM
its preseason shouldn't worry until we play baltimore our first game of the season and then we'll see how Cassel and our offense performs against a very good D

rcgamer
08-20-2009, 04:47 AM
Yea Cassels passes looked good in the game 9when they let him pass) the other qb's was given many more pass plays then cassell was. I love Brodie and always will but the bone head (throw the ball away) play cost us a win.

I was wondering if Herm Edwards might have been hired to do the offensive playcalling when Cassel was in there. He wasn't given a chance to show a whole lot.

I'm not sold on Cassel but he certainly deserves a lot more of a shot than one preseason game before people start acting like he is a bust.

I'd also like to mention that Brodie hurt himself when he made that stupid intentional grounding play. Surely in his fourth year now he has learned the rules. Mental mistakes like that at the QB position probably burn Haley's butt more than anything.

As far as Thigpen gos, I like his mobility and moxie but he can't seem to do anything within the structure of the offense. Almost every good play he makes is improvised. He would be a good 2nd or third string guy but until he can prove that he can work within the offensive scheme will probably not be much else.

wichitaj
08-20-2009, 10:12 PM
this is so stupid. i'm starting to not like haley's approach. he's a first time coach, hope he learned something good from arizona's coach.

Seek
08-24-2009, 01:12 PM

Based on Croyles play against Minnesota, I think it is up to him and Thigpen for the 3rd position. Frankly, I would rather keep Thigpen.

At least he took a hard shot to the Chin and still got up and played. Thats a plus.

yashi
08-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Based on Croyles play against Minnesota, I think it is up to him and Thigpen for the 3rd position. Frankly, I would rather keep Thigpen.

At least he took a hard shot to the Chin and still got up and played. Thats a plus.

You're saying Gutierrez is going to be 2nd string?

Seek
08-24-2009, 01:30 PM
You're saying Gutierrez is going to be 2nd string?

Based on the play of Croyle VS Gutie... I wouldn't be suprised.

I saw the same old Croyle that I have watched the last three years. He has shown me absolutely nothing to think he is an NFL QB. He may practice better, but every time he is on the field, crap happens.

I wouldn't be upset if Croyle was cut. Unless you count handing off balls, in which I think he was part of a fumble Friday night.

captainamerica
08-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Matt Gutierrez will be on the practice squad or cut by the start of the season. You can quote me on that.

billb40
08-24-2009, 04:06 PM
I thought we were putting Cassel on the practice squad according to some of the posts I read. Are we all jumping on the Cassel bandwagon now.

Seek
08-24-2009, 05:35 PM
I thought we were putting Cassel on the practice squad according to some of the posts I read. Are we all jumping on the Cassel bandwagon now.

I was very skeptical of him before we traded for him. Once they traded, I was kind of Uh, we will see, but still skeptical.

After the one game last Friday. Against a very good Defense, I was impressed and some what relieved. I didn't know he was was mobile as he is, nor good throwing the ball on the run.

Based on that one gam, I am abl to make the assumption that he will be a good QB for us, but will still have bad games, but he is a drastic improvement over Croyle and Thigpen, and I LOVED Thigpen.

yashi
08-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Gutierrez was going against practice squad guys and Croyle was facing 2nd team NFL players.

Seek
08-24-2009, 09:19 PM
Gutierrez was going against practice squad guys and Croyle was facing 2nd team NFL players.

And Croyle looked like crap as usual and Gutie looked good. Promote and demote. You can alwasy move them back later.

tammietailgator
08-24-2009, 11:12 PM

Actually he did better than both of them in that first game in the rain. And if given the opportunity to work with real talent, then I think we will all be suprised!
:11:

:D

doobs_05
08-25-2009, 02:52 AM
i say just wait til week one and we'll see how everything unfolds

yashi
08-25-2009, 10:46 AM
i say just wait til week one and we'll see how everything unfolds

Wait he says... that would be boring!

windwalker
08-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Should have kept Thigpen... he more talent than Cassel.

Connie Jo
08-03-2010, 09:35 PM
I was at training camp Sunday, and I thought Matt Cassel was throwing well then. It's awfully hot too, was 110'...no doubt sweat in the eyes will be an issue, as I saw the majority of players, including Cassel wipe sweat often from their heads & eyes. I'm not making excuses, just sayin...if he had a couple bad days, the heat might have been a factor.

stricken721
08-03-2010, 09:43 PM

:funnypost: Yep, his 1 win as a starter is awe inspiring.

Three7s
08-03-2010, 09:46 PM
You know, bumping year old threads is a great way to let people know that you're a troll.

You ARE a troll right?

Connie Jo
08-03-2010, 09:52 PM
You know, bumping year old threads is a great way to let people know that you're a troll.

You ARE a troll right?

Heck, I didn't even pay attention to the date...thanks for pointing out this thread was bumped. :)

Coach
08-03-2010, 10:38 PM
This thread is over 1 year old. By all accounts Matt Cassel has been extremely sharp so far(less than 1 week.) :)

Cassel trying to build off rough first season with Chiefs - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/02/2124335/cassel-trying-to-build-off-rough.html)

I am closing the thread to avoid confusion.

Chiefster
08-03-2010, 11:32 PM
Thanks Coach.