PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs vs Vikings!!!

tammietailgator
08-21-2009, 09:18 PM
It is started and let me be the first to say that Farve looks funny in purple!!!

Stopped them on the fourth down already! Sweet!!! :bananen_smilies046:

DMN
08-21-2009, 09:29 PM
Cassel is lookin good. well at least from nfl.com stats.... I hate not being able to watch the games.

AkChief49
08-21-2009, 09:30 PM
3-0 Chiefs!

DT14PRIEST
08-21-2009, 09:36 PM
Cassel is lookin good. well at least from nfl.com stats.... I hate not being able to watch the games.

chiefs fan forums tv on Justin.tv (http://www.justin.tv/chiefsfanforumstv)

stream

edit: vikes dont even need JA Oline looks awful

loyalchief91
08-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Cassel fumbles continue......

AkChief49
08-21-2009, 09:53 PM
touch down Kansas City!

IlovetheChiefs
08-21-2009, 09:53 PM
We're doing pretty good! I'm likin' this. You can see we're gonna be a good team this year. Gonna keep getting better each game. We're definitely going to win this game tonight. Haha Vikings. Haha 1-4 Brett Favre for 4 yards! Haha ZERO first downs for the Vikings! Haha 140 yds for us and 20 yds for them!

And.... TOUCHDOWN!!!!!! KANSASCITYYYYY!!!!!

10-0!!!!! CHIEFS ROMP TONIGHT! I FEEL GOOD!

And we're gonna beat the Eagles to a pulp on September 27th!!!!!!!

AkChief49
08-21-2009, 09:54 PM
whats up with the PAT? do we need Ocho?

josh1971
08-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Cassel fumbles continue......

Huh? He looks pretty dang good to me tonight.

Have to remember that even without Jared Allen, the Vikes defense is a pretty good, smothering unit.

JB

IlovetheChiefs
08-21-2009, 09:56 PM
whats up with the PAT? do we need Ocho?

Shucks, I counted my chickens before they hatched with the extra point.

9-0 KC then!

josh1971
08-21-2009, 10:00 PM
No, the score is listed as 10-0

McLovin
08-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Watchin this game on my 47 by running it through the PS3 on Justin TV... Whoooooooo Chiefs looking good.

Favre not so much, I am not a Packer fan but man Favre playing for the Vikings would be like Tony leaving ATL and going to Oakland, I can see why the fans in Green Bay are pissed.

josh1971
08-21-2009, 10:08 PM
Secondary- not looking very good this drive.

IlovetheChiefs
08-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Dangit, that was a nice looking blitz there but they found the open receiver in the end zone.

josh1971
08-21-2009, 10:13 PM
Dangit, that was a nice looking blitz there but they found the open receiver in the end zone.

I think that was the problem there- too many secondary guys out of position on that drive. They'll get there.

Some of the blitzes have been fantastic! And Corey Mays is playing really well!

tammietailgator
08-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Colquitt can kick though!! Nice - just hope he does not get too much practice during the games

DT14PRIEST
08-21-2009, 10:25 PM
Copper needs to get cut. Hard worker or not if you can't catch a ball that hits you in the chest you don't deserve to be starting, let alone be on the roster.

Vanilla Garilla
08-21-2009, 10:31 PM
Good first half on both sides of the ball!

josh1971
08-21-2009, 10:32 PM
yes- it's great to have a punter like that. Just as long as we dont' see him on the field that often.

loyalchief91
08-21-2009, 10:34 PM
Pretty decent half even though the defense starting falling off near the end

IlovetheChiefs
08-21-2009, 10:35 PM
Remember a few years ago when our offense was so good that our punter was as busy as a maytag repair man? :)

rcgamer
08-21-2009, 10:35 PM
Cassel looked pretty darn good tonight. He is a lot more mobile than I thought. Receivers had a few drops otherwise his stats would look even better. Other than one decent run our ground game hasn't looked very good. Defensively it looked pretty much like last week, they look really good for the most part then seem to go to sleep for a drive. O-line is a big concern, Cassel was having to run for his life quite a bit and they don't seem to be opening much for the ground game.

IlovetheChiefs
08-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Pretty decent half even though the defense starting falling off near the end

Yeah Tarvaris Jackson and Adrian Peterson started to get to us.

IlovetheChiefs
08-21-2009, 10:39 PM
Cassel looked pretty darn good tonight. He is a lot more mobile than I thought. Receivers had a few drops otherwise his stats would look even better. Other than one decent run our ground game hasn't looked very good. Defensively it looked pretty much like last week, they look really good for the most part then seem to go to sleep for a drive. O-line is a big concern, Cassel was having to run for his life quite a bit and they don't seem to be opening much for the ground game.

Yes I agree, that is my biggest worry for the success of our team this season.

IlovetheChiefs
08-21-2009, 10:41 PM
It is started and let me be the first to say that Farve looks funny in purple!!!

:bananen_smilies046:

I know, heh. When he became a Viking recently I was thinking it's hard to picture him in purple.

rcgamer
08-21-2009, 10:47 PM
Croyles lucky he doesn't have a broken jaw.

josh1971
08-21-2009, 10:51 PM
Croyle looking pretty sharp, too. Even AFTER taking a hit right on the chin.

I hope that guy gets fined.

tammietailgator
08-21-2009, 10:53 PM
Wonderful catch by amani!!!!!

IlovetheChiefs
08-21-2009, 10:54 PM
Toomer! And Croyle converts on 2 3rd downs in a row. Nice drive here.

josh1971
08-21-2009, 10:57 PM
I was pretty critical of getting rid of Mr. Barth, but gentlemen and ladies? It looks as though I shall be eating some crow.

Croyle had some pretty bad happy feet on that last incompletion. Would it be fair to say that he has no faith in offensive linemen?

IlovetheChiefs
08-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Well Croyle didn't deliver on a 3rd 3rd down in a row. But our new kicker did and expands us to 13-7.

Say, maybe we will win 23-7 (reminiscent of a certain January 1970 score!)

McLovin
08-21-2009, 11:04 PM
Little early but anyone else thinking Dantrell Savage wont be here by the regular season.

Brodie looked kinda good but still really gunshy especially after that hit he took. Wonder if the D guy that hit him is going to have to take out a loan to pay the fine ... said he was an rookie could be a big fine unless they minimize it because he is a rookie and might not even make the team or if the fine can be no bigger then what he makes during his time in the league.

IlovetheChiefs
08-21-2009, 11:04 PM
Doggone it the secondary was lax again.

josh1971
08-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Hmm, what was I saying about the secondary? Well, looks like it just bit us on the arse. We're bringing pressure up front, but coverage looks...

inept.

tammietailgator
08-21-2009, 11:08 PM
I am ready to get thiggy with it!

josh1971
08-21-2009, 11:09 PM

Sounds good to me- but looked like they were going to roll with Croyle for another series.

tammietailgator
08-21-2009, 11:14 PM
At least the didn't score on this turnover!!!

IlovetheChiefs
08-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Whew, we really needed a defensive stop after that fumble.

josh1971
08-21-2009, 11:15 PM
As far as Savage not making the team- I doubt he'll be gone. He's an excellent special teamer.

jb

rcgamer
08-21-2009, 11:23 PM
Croyle looks ok but he really needs to learn to use some touch on screens and short passes. Backup line seems to be doing pretty good, not great but pretty good. Backup D looks ok minus that one big play.

None of the backups have really stood out to me. They are working well as a group but haven't seen any play that makes you think "keep an eye on that guy".

chiefsfreak4life
08-21-2009, 11:24 PM

I don't think Thigpen is playing tonight, injured ribs. I think we will see Gutierez

rcgamer
08-21-2009, 11:32 PM
I don't think Thigpen is playing tonight, injured ribs. I think we will see Gutierez

Yeah, he didn't practice all week so almost certainly won't play.

IlovetheChiefs
08-21-2009, 11:38 PM
Well this is cool to see Gutierrez get some time. And will be really cool if he orchestrates a game winning td drive.

Edit: Well not this drive. Let's hold the Vikes here and then win the game on the next drive.

honda522
08-21-2009, 11:51 PM
Johnson Blows, OL blows, Most of our reciecvers blow, and our special teams - punt unit.

Over a goods first half.

IlovetheChiefs
08-21-2009, 11:53 PM
Gutie just may lead us to a 20-17 triumph! That would be a wonderful confidence booster for us.

Three7s
08-21-2009, 11:53 PM
Johnson Blows, OL blows, Most of our reciecvers blow, and our special teams - punt unit.

Over a goods first half.
LJ blows? If you didn't know, most running games do about what we did against that Viking D-line.

honda522
08-21-2009, 11:55 PM
LJ blows? If you didn't know, most running games do about what we did against that Viking D-line.
He runs straight into the back of his blockers. He just sucks. He used to be fast. Now he barley runs.

IlovetheChiefs
08-21-2009, 11:57 PM
Woohoo! We're going to WIN! Way to go GUTIE!!!!!

Three7s
08-22-2009, 12:00 AM
He runs straight into the back of his blockers. He just sucks. He used to be fast. Now he barley runs.
That's because there's no where for him to go. The one time a hole was made, boom 18 yards.

honda522
08-22-2009, 12:04 AM
That's because there's no where for him to go. The one time a hole was made, boom 18 yards.
There is a difference between running and bouncing off your blocker and trying to cut back.

honda522
08-22-2009, 12:04 AM
God dude, Lelie sucks, couldn't even make sure his foot was even close to dragging.

chiefsfreak4life
08-22-2009, 12:05 AM
Woohoo! We're going to WIN! Way to go GUTIE!!!!!

Spoke too soon, dang.

IlovetheChiefs
08-22-2009, 12:05 AM
Nuts! Man I thought for sure we were going to get in with 4 downs from the 1 yard line. Dang I was hoping Gutie would try to quarterback sneak it at least once. An exciting finish and good closing drive but aw man to come so close to victory, rats.

Vanilla Garilla
08-22-2009, 12:06 AM
Man i thought we had that one! grrrr

IlovetheChiefs
08-22-2009, 12:07 AM
Spoke too soon, dang.

Yeah I was confident so I declared a victory in advance, shucks.

Three7s
08-22-2009, 12:08 AM
I didn't like the playcall on that 4th down. Then again, I've never liked the fade pattern.

tammietailgator
08-22-2009, 12:10 AM
I will just have to say that it was not an impressive first half for the vikings. I thought we did very well, glad it didn't count!

IlovetheChiefs
08-22-2009, 12:10 AM
I didn't like the playcall on that 4th down. Then again, I've never liked the fade pattern.

I agree. One of those things where if it works then of course we're happy but I don't like the decision. From a half yard try to run it in, whether qb sneak, down the middle, end around, or leap over the pile. But run it in.

honda522
08-22-2009, 12:15 AM
I will blame Gailey more than Lelie. It should have been a quick slant instead of a corner route, especially being on the 1/2 yard line. Hell, QB draw would of been better.

Even a shallow cross would been good.

McLovin
08-22-2009, 12:17 AM
Lelie, He is the information you will need.

Missouri Dept of Employment Security
15301 E 23RD St
Independence, MO 64055-1621

(816) 325-5890‎

You can go there to file your unemployment claim and take your worthless a$$ somewhere else.

KU4LIFE
08-22-2009, 12:33 AM
How was that last play Lelie's fault again? The pass was just thrown a little too deep for Lelie to get both feet in. That and the defender gave him a little nudge out of bounds.

Chief Tyler
08-22-2009, 12:41 AM
Lelie definately made some good grabs, even if they weren't complete. I hope he makes the squad and becomes our next Kennison. We really need somebody to stretch the field.

Chiefster
08-22-2009, 01:24 AM
I know this is preseason, but clearly one we should have won.

josh1971
08-22-2009, 01:48 AM
There were definitely some positives to take from that game. Cassell didn't look very rusty to me- he looked mobile, aware, and had some good zing on the ball. Bowe looks really sharp. I thought, considering how good the #1 Viking D is, that LJ did a pretty good job running, considering...

The awfulness of our starting 5 linemen. They seem to just need some communication and cohesion. The one I thought looked really weak was Waters. Well, ok, Barry Richardson did, too.

There were a lot of drops in the second half- not a good way for some of those cats to make the team, but some of our backup O-line guys were pretty good.

Our other majorly disappointing unit tonight were our defensive backs. Disorganized, inattentive, seemingly confused dudes, eager to run up and play good ball on the run, but couldn't cover a floor if they were spilled paint.

Let's hope the next game goes a wee tad better.

jb

Chiefster
08-22-2009, 01:57 AM
There were definitely some positives to take from that game. Cassell didn't look very rusty to me- he looked mobile, aware, and had some good zing on the ball. Bowe looks really sharp. I thought, considering how good the #1 Viking D is, that LJ did a pretty good job running, considering...

The awfulness of our starting 5 linemen. They seem to just need some communication and cohesion. The one I thought looked really weak was Waters. Well, ok, Barry Richardson did, too.

There were a lot of drops in the second half- not a good way for some of those cats to make the team, but some of our backup O-line guys were pretty good.

Our other majorly disappointing unit tonight were our defensive backs. Disorganized, inattentive, seemingly confused dudes, eager to run up and play good ball on the run, but couldn't cover a floor if they were spilled paint.

Let's hope the next game goes a wee tad better.

jb

Nice analysis! The O-linemen and D-backs were glaringly inept tonight.

yashi
08-22-2009, 02:53 AM
I was pretty happy with Cassel, making some good throws and looking off defensive backs, also making some plays on his feet.

Bowe is obviously a stud. Other receivers not so much.

The pass rush looks very good. Hali could be rejuvenated in the new system. He and Vrabel could be playmakers on defense this season.

Jackson looks good and gets all over the place. I really like him so far.

Our offensive line sucks. I have a feeling this will be priority #1 next offseason.

DaJuan Morgan sucks and needs to be cut. The long TD pass was blown coverage, and he gave up a big play later on as well.

Jackie Battle looks great and moves really well for a 238 pound guy.

Savage is scrappy and seems to always be going 100% until the whistle is blown.

Croyle looks like the Croyle of old to me still. He takes too long to make a decision, is afraid to throw a pass longer than 10 yards, and isn't very accurate. He throws a nice ball, but it usually doesn't hit the receiver.

I liked what I saw from Gutierrez.

Chiefster
08-22-2009, 02:55 AM
I was pretty happy with Cassel, making some good throws and looking off defensive backs, also making some plays on his feet.

Bowe is obviously a stud. Other receivers not so much.

The pass rush looks very good. Hali could be rejuvenated in the new system. He and Vrabel could be playmakers on defense this season.

Jackson looks good and gets all over the place. I really like him so far.

Our offensive line sucks. I have a feeling this will be priority #1 next offseason.

DaJuan Morgan sucks and needs to be cut. The long TD pass was blown coverage, and he gave up a big play later on as well.

Jackie Battle looks great and moves really well for a 238 pound guy.

Savage is scrappy and seems to always be going 100% until the whistle is blown.

Croyle looks like the Croyle of old to me still. He takes too long to make a decision, is afraid to throw a pass longer than 10 yards, and isn't very accurate. He throws a nice ball, but it usually doesn't hit the receiver.

I liked what I saw from Gutierrez.

He just needs to hang on to the ball.

H-townChiefsFan
08-22-2009, 03:08 AM
1st post. woo-hoo! Glad to join the fun! Hmmm, must say looked good early, but without Allen and Williams on the front (for Min), the O performance is a bit tarnished and of course the D looked good against Favre, but he has only been there a week and they got shredded by T.Jackson...c'mon.

The last plays really bothered me, I would have run a naked boot on 2nd or 3rd down from the one and I HATE the fade pass on 4th down to the corner. That is desparate, I would rather see a slant in that situation.

But overall, they sure looked better than last year, which vs. the texans they looked pathetic and very 2008-ish. Sad to say, I found myself wanting to win this game bad, I even gave a fist pound to the pillow on a couple occasions in the 4th quarter.

Chiefster
08-22-2009, 03:10 AM
1st post. woo-hoo! Glad to join the fun! Hmmm, must say looked good early, but without Allen and Williams on the front (for Min), the O performance is a bit tarnished and of course the D looked good against Favre, but he has only been there a week and they got shredded by T.Jackson...c'mon.

The last plays really bothered me, I would have run a naked boot on 2nd or 3rd down from the one and I HATE the fade pass on 4th down to the corner. That is desparate, I would rather see a slant in that situation.

But overall, they sure looked better than last year, which vs. the texans they looked pathetic and very 2008-ish. Sad to say, I found myself wanting to win this game bad, I even gave a fist pound to the pillow on a couple occasions in the 4th quarter.

Typed the words right off my keyboard!

Welcome aboard the Crowd! :)

H-townChiefsFan
08-22-2009, 03:36 AM
just got done wrapping up my 'inquisition'...errrr, I mean newbie post on the new user deal.....

just not sure what to think yet...you?

DT14PRIEST
08-22-2009, 06:30 AM
After this last preseason game against the Vikes I think it had become abundantly clear that the Chiefs need to look back into the FA to address this debacle known simply as our 'offensive line'. I think we have enough talent to scrape by at WR once cuts start to come around, shaving some of the dead weight that runs around out there I believe can free up some room for the F.O. to bring in some 'talent' and protect the multi- million dollar man in the backfield from being shredded game in and game out.

Lets be clear here, the offensive line is a mess. There are five positions on the line and only two of them, Albert and Waters (maybe Goff but thats pushing it after what we've seen so far) can be penciled in as anything other then a question mark or a significant minus in talent.

There are still some quality vet out there still avalible for the Chiefs to possibly sign to patch this shoddy unit and protect Cassel (at least for this season) that I believe that Pioli and Co. have to be considering after seeing the first unit (and I use that term lightly) get demolished by a Viking defensive unit utilizing only 50% of its starting defensive line.

Free Agents the Chiefs need to be considering:

Right Tackle

Jon Runyan - Best RT avalible and a solid starter for the entirety of his career. While being 35 is a tick against him he's still a significant upgrade over Sack-intosh and Barry Richardson and if stop gap players are what we're looking for (as well as quality veterans to mentor the youth on this team) then there is no better RT better then Runyan avalible.

Mark Tauscher - 2nd Best RT avalible. Pending the healing of his ACL he'd be a marked improvement in any form over what we have now.

Jonas Jennings - LT/RT. He's had injury problems the last few years but the guy was solid in Buffalo before he signed big with the 49ers. If he can be solid for one more year maybe two, thats all we need, consistency.

Levi Jones - T. I'm putting Levi last because of the transition from LT to RT. He's a talented tackle when healthy but always seems to have some form of injury.

There isn't a decent Center avalilbe so were stuck with Nice-wanger and the Guch to gut it out with, which isn't promising. Goff has looked...well nothing spectacular but servicable so lets hope he improves.

Chiefster
08-22-2009, 07:26 AM
just got done wrapping up my 'inquisition'...errrr, I mean newbie post on the new user deal.....

just not sure what to think yet...you?

I think you pretty well described the situation.

Chiefster
08-22-2009, 07:29 AM
After this last preseason game against the Vikes I think it had become abundantly clear that the Chiefs need to look back into the FA to address this debacle known simply as our 'offensive line'. I think we have enough talent to scrape by at WR once cuts start to come around, shaving some of the dead weight that runs around out there I believe can free up some room for the F.O. to bring in some 'talent' and protect the multi- million dollar man in the backfield from being shredded game in and game out.

Lets be clear here, the offensive line is a mess. There are five positions on the line and only two of them, Albert and Waters (maybe Goff but thats pushing it after what we've seen so far) can be penciled in as anything other then a question mark or a significant minus in talent.

There are still some quality vet out there still avalible for the Chiefs to possibly sign to patch this shoddy unit and protect Cassel (at least for this season) that I believe that Pioli and Co. have to be considering after seeing the first unit (and I use that term lightly) get demolished by a Viking defensive unit utilizing only 50% of its starting defensive line.

Free Agents the Chiefs need to be considering:

Right Tackle

Jon Runyan - Best RT avalible and a solid starter for the entirety of his career. While being 35 is a tick against him he's still a significant upgrade over Sack-intosh and Barry Richardson and if stop gap players are what we're looking for (as well as quality veterans to mentor the youth on this team) then there is no better RT better then Runyan avalible.

Mark Tauscher - 2nd Best RT avalible. Pending the healing of his ACL he'd be a marked improvement in any form over what we have now.

Jonas Jennings - LT/RT. He's had injury problems the last few years but the guy was solid in Buffalo before he signed big with the 49ers. If he can be solid for one more year maybe two, thats all we need, consistency.

Levi Jones - T. I'm putting Levi last because of the transition from LT to RT. He's a talented tackle when healthy but always seems to have some form of injury.

There isn't a decent Center avalilbe so were stuck with Nice-wanger and the Guch to gut it out with, which isn't promising. Goff has looked...well nothing spectacular but servicable so lets hope he improves.

Yup, that group of linemen are aptly named: "Offensive".

brish
08-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Johnson is running like a bum.. looks to be same o same o from him and charles wtf is with the fumble! gimme BATTLE

Did you see our o-line??

Coach
08-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Regarding starters(1st half)

Positives:
1. Cassell looked good
2. Dbowe looks good.
3. We MAY finally have a pass rush. I am loving the defensive packages that we are throwing out there. This is the reason I became a Chiefs fan. Blitz packages, 3-4, LB's flying around everywhere. I love it!
4. Succop

Negatives:
1. Our offensive line. I expected it to look bad against Minnesota's front 7, but wow. Cassell performance was even more impressive considering the lack of time and space that he had to operate in.
2. Kick returning
3. This team has no depth and it is glaring on specials teams.

Summary:
We held our own in the 1st half when the starters were playing. Minnesota is no slouch and could threaten to win the NFC. Our O-line looked awful, but Minnesota probably has the best pass rush we will see all year. This team looks like it can compete with other AFC West teams. I am excited by what I saw tonight. I am really excited about the new defensive schemes and blitz packages that we will be running. I give this game a thumbs up based upon the performance of the 1st stringers.

honda522
08-22-2009, 11:02 AM
Regarding starters(1st half)

Positives:
1. Cassell looked good
2. Dbowe looks good.
3. We MAY finally have a pass rush. I am loving the defensive packages that we are throwing out there. This is the reason I became a Chiefs fan. Blitz packages, 3-4, LB's flying around everywhere. I love it!
4. Succop

Negatives:
1. Our offensive line. I expected it to look bad against Minnesota's front 7, but wow. Cassell performance was even more impressive considering the lack of time and space that he had to operate in.
2. Kick returning
3. This team has no depth and it is glaring on specials teams.

Summary:
We held our own in the 1st half when the starters were playing. Minnesota is no slouch and could threaten to win the NFC. Our O-line looked awful, but Minnesota probably has the best pass rush we will see all year. This team looks like it can compete with other AFC West teams. I am excited by what I saw tonight. I am really excited about the new defensive schemes and blitz packages that we will be running. I give this game a thumbs up based upon the performance of the 1st stringers.

Right on Coach! You gotta love the pressure. I think there should a neutral slot to. And I would put play calling in there. Some of the plays seem predictable. Why would you call a Corner jump route from the 1 yard line? I know it was the 3rd and 4th string, but they could have won the game.

I guess what really matters is that week kept the best running team in the NFL at bay and won in the first half with our starters :bananen_smilies046:

honda522
08-22-2009, 11:04 AM
He just needs to hang on to the ball.
I think your thinking of Savage.

Canada
08-22-2009, 11:07 AM
I think your thinking of Savage.

...or Charles.

Drunker Hillbilly
08-22-2009, 11:35 AM
WOW!!!! I guess I have to echo what most are already saying....O Line was terrible!!!! I see a reoccurring theme here. Secondary was bad as well. I liked what Cassel did however I did notice that when he did start to get it together, he was in the shotgun EVERY play AND we had our first team in there against there second and thirds. I like his play action ability but I fear that unless that O line gets it together, we will again be a one dimensional team thereby letting teams double the WR's and shutting out offense down. 3 weeks left of camp so maybe they can fix some things before Baltimore!!!!!

AkChief49
08-22-2009, 11:46 AM
4 fumbles!! that just will not do!

honda522
08-22-2009, 11:49 AM
...or Charles.
...or everyone!

Haley was ready to burst after the last play.

yashi
08-22-2009, 11:54 AM
Seems like we all agree about how the team looks right now!

Positives:
- Pass rush looks good finally.
- Cassel is playing very well when he gets a chance to drop back and throw.
- Succop is the real deal.
- Run D held the best running back in the league in check.
- Bowe is a stud.

Negatives:
- Offensive line can't protect Cassel or create holes in the running game.
- No return game whatsoever.
- Absolutely dreadful once the first team is out of the game. No depth at all.

As mentioned, I think Pioli is going to need to take a good hard look at Runyan or Tauscher. Richardson/McIntosh is not going to get it done, and I'm kind of dissapointed we didn't manage to replace Niswanger with Jason Brown when he was available. As much as he would have cost, we absolutely have to protect the investment that is Cassel or he's going to become really meaningless really fast no matter how good he is.

McLovin
08-22-2009, 01:54 PM
I am going to try to go a little outside the box (not far) everyone knows how offensive the O Line is, Several have commented about Cassel looking good.

One thing I pulled from this Corey Mays looked really really good, reading a little about him, he was a free agent pickup in New England, then went to Cincy for a year and hasnt really played. Thinking Pioli remembered him and hoping he has something special that hasnt been discovered.

I have to disagree with the earlier poster, I thought that Savage looked bad, and as far as keeping Lelie and having another Kennison, why would we want that I never liked Kennison to begin with, and Lelie has no sense of where he is on the field he likes to drop the ball, I think the other teams were right to drop this clown. I think we are better off with any mix of Engram, Toomer, Copper, Bradley, Quinten Lawrence, maybe even Taurus Johnson and we know BOWE who will hopefully be the #1 reciever.

So my thoughts are
Bowe, Toomer,
Bradley, Copper Engram
Lawrence for Special Teams and Taurus Johnson on the practice squad, leaving no room for Darling, Lelie, or Rodney Wright. ... thoughts on that.

And yes I know Darling is listed as a starter on the depth chart at the moment but Bowe is also listed 3 and I dont think that holds much weight yet. I just haven't seen anything from Darling this year, I could be way off or maybe Haley has seen more in practice. We will see.

For Running Backs

Johnson, Battle, Charles

Wondering what happened to drop Kolby Smith off of everyones radar, he was a starter for a while or at least backup but I haven't heard much of anything about him this year.

Fullback Mike Cox

Tight Ends Brad Cottam, Sean Ryan

QuarterBacks

Can anyone see a situation where we go light at some position to start the season with 4 QBs, possiby if Thiggy ends up on IR, but I dont think his injury is that bad. My thought is that all 4 QBs make the first cut. From there it would be nice to work a trade to a team in need Brodie Croyle (who will need to show what he is showing a while longer) for a good RT or a serviceable RT and serviceable Center or Guard. This avoids the situation where we cut someone and then someone is given a gift. I feel the 4 QBs we have are all good enough to be starters or at least good backups in the NFL if they can stay healthy. My fear is that even with the productivity last year, the poor coaching, poor play calling, and poor o-line / supporting players that Thiggy could be cut to make room for the Gutierrez. Tough call overall with this crop of QBs.

McLovin
08-22-2009, 01:59 PM
I did notice however that way to familiar was not being able to finish the game, grasping defeat out of the jaws of victory as they did so many times back in 2008. I realize this was the third string and its preseason, and the game meant nothing on the books. But I am sure it meant a ton to Haley, to the team (at least first string) and the front office to have one in the win column.

Last year if we could have finished games the way they were started the won loss record would have been way different. I still blame this on Hermie.

honda522
08-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Copper sucks. We need to bring in Harrison. Yes, I am desperate.

kcvet
08-22-2009, 02:28 PM
YouTube - NFL-Vikings 17, Chiefs 13

Bike
08-22-2009, 02:31 PM
1st and goal from the one and couldn't score to win the game. Our reserves vs their reserves and couldn't get it in.
Man.

kcvet
08-22-2009, 03:03 PM
hope we're not back to bad play calling again

Bike
08-22-2009, 03:09 PM
hope we're not back to bad play calling again
My feeling exactly. If we can't go 1 yard in 4 plays to win a game, we could be in for a long year. Preseason or not. Reserves or not. We needed that score.

josh1971
08-22-2009, 03:16 PM
We needed that score, but we also needed a win. Even a pre-season win goes a long way with morale.

And I agree- you ought to be able to get ONE stinkin' yard in 4 plays. I thought a fade pattern was a bad choice- rolling Gutierrez out would have made for a better play.

But I'm not calling the plays. :D

Coach
08-22-2009, 03:24 PM
1 yard with 4 plays against 3rd/4th stringers. Come on now.

wolfpack
08-22-2009, 04:10 PM
wonder why haily hasnt tried toomer and bowe on first team. we can forget any deep threats from our wr`s, cassel wont have time to throw deep.

Drunker Hillbilly
08-22-2009, 04:17 PM
My feeling exactly. If we can't go 1 yard in 4 plays to win a game, we could be in for a long year. Preseason or not. Reserves or not. We needed that score.
Could be???

Canada
08-22-2009, 04:18 PM
Could be???Doubt it.

Connie Jo
08-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Nuts! Man I thought for sure we were going to get in with 4 downs from the 1 yard line. Dang I was hoping Gutie would try to quarterback sneak it at least once. An exciting finish and good closing drive but aw man to come so close to victory, rats.

Nice to know I wasn't alone thinking QB sneak! Yeah, I thought we were gonna win too, 4 downs at the 1. Oh well, needed a reminder not to call a win too soon. :(

Still, overall...I thought we looked much better this week than last, I'm encouraged!

IlovetheChiefs
08-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Yeah I'm encouraged too. We're getting there. The next game will be a good test because they say week 3 of preseason is an important one to see how your team is shaping up (whereas in week 4 is the starters usually don't play at all).

I think we got the Seahags next right? Still kind of hate them since they used to be in the AFC West. They still leave a bad flavor because of that, heh.

brish
08-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Wow that end-around with Lawrence was really nice. If would have been a cold day in hell before Herm would have let anyone dial up that play. I like it! :)

Too bad we didn't win this game.. The guys deserve a win!
But I had actually feared a worse beating by a team that a lot of people think can go all the way to the superbowl this year..
Biggest dissapointment.. Our starting o-line... Or lack there off.. I know Vikings have one of the best D-lines in the NFL, but they missed 2 of their starters, and Cassel still had to run for his life..

Chiefster
08-22-2009, 07:24 PM
Wow that end-around with Lawrence was really nice. If would have been a cold day in hell before Herm would have let anyone dial up that play. I like it! :)

Too bad we didn't win this game.. The guys deserve a win!
But I had actually feared a worse beating by a team that a lot of people think can go all the way to the superbowl this year..
Biggest dissapointment.. Our starting o-line... Or lack there off.. I know Vikings have one of the best D-lines in the NFL, but they missed 2 of their starters, and Cassel still had to run for his life..

If only we could get him to actually catch the ball.

brish
08-22-2009, 07:45 PM
Yup I agree Chiefster, he clearly has the speed and moves to make people miss in space. But all that kind of strikes a hollow note, if he can't catch the frickin' ball.
It's going to be a long *** year for Bowe, if he is the only reciever on our roster worth covering..

Chiefster
08-23-2009, 12:30 AM
Yup I agree Chiefster, he clearly has the speed and moves to make people miss in space. But all that kind of strikes a hollow note, if he can't catch the frickin' ball.
It's going to be a long *** year for Bowe, if he is the only reciever on our roster worth covering..

Hopefully the veteran WR we signed will help out.

Connie Jo
08-23-2009, 04:57 AM
Yeah I'm encouraged too. We're getting there. The next game will be a good test because they say week 3 of preseason is an important one to see how your team is shaping up (whereas in week 4 is the starters usually don't play at all).

I think we got the Seahags next right? Still kind of hate them since they used to be in the AFC West. They still leave a bad flavor because of that, heh.

HA! I'm the same, never got past them once being a division rival, haha. I have a friend in Spokane, & she didn't get why I always tended to be anti-hawks. She wasn't aware we were once rivals, she's a newer fan.

Hopefully #3 will pull a win for us!! :)

IlovetheChiefs
08-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Hopefully Connie. I'm a little concerned since they've been doing well so far. I know it's preseason and hard to tell. It's just that other than last year, they've been a good team since about 2003. And I think the last several games of last year they played fairly well. So they might be back again. Still have the pretty good QB too (Hasselbeck). But we took Engram from them!

Pro_Angler
08-23-2009, 10:02 PM
I think we started good but as he game went on after the fumble we went flat. If the first 3 drives that the vikes had is indicative of our season we have alot to look forward too.

Connie Jo
08-24-2009, 03:41 AM
Hopefully Connie. I'm a little concerned since they've been doing well so far. I know it's preseason and hard to tell. It's just that other than last year, they've been a good team since about 2003. And I think the last several games of last year they played fairly well. So they might be back again. Still have the pretty good QB too (Hasselbeck). But we took Engram from them!

I haven't followed many teams this pre-season, exception our Chiefs of course, haha. I didn't know if the hawks were looking good or not. I had the game on against the Donk's intending to watch, but ended up busy & didn't. Checked in at the end to see who won, hoping the Donk's lost, which they did! :)

Yep, Hasselback is a decent QB, he learned much from Favre no doubt when in GB. I've seen him have bad days, throw a few interceptions, maybe one of those will be against us, haha. :)

IlovetheChiefs
08-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Well Seattle was like Denver; always seemed to beat us at their place but always had problems at Arrowhead. So I hope that trend continues this Saturday!

Edit: By the way, it's interesting that they scheduled Seattle to play all 4 former division rivals this preseason.

tammietailgator
08-25-2009, 12:01 AM
I cannot wait for this game... I think they do need to push bowe up to the 1st string... that is what he is used to!