PDA

View Full Version : Raiders just traded for richard seymour

garciakcfan
09-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Just got the text.

Vanilla Garilla
09-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Just got the text.

Wow, they gave up a 2011 first rounder. Heres the link since you forgot....

Sources: New England Patriots deal Richard Seymour to Oakland Raiders - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4450767)

jmlamerson
09-06-2009, 10:57 AM
These are words I never thought I'd write - good job by Oakland.

I know the Pats believe they can win without any one player, but still, this is a very, very curious move for them.

garciakcfan
09-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Wow, they gave up a 2011 first rounder. Heres the link since you forgot....

Sources: New England Patriots deal Richard Seymour to Oakland Raiders - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4450767)

Sorry im on my blackberry... Thanks for the backup though :bananen_smilies046:

Rodgers4MVP
09-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Why a 2011 1st rounder,did oaky not want to give up the 2010

Vanilla Garilla
09-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Sorry im on my blackberry... Thanks for the backup though :bananen_smilies046:

No prob man :bananen_smilies046:

I cant believe the old man actually made a move like this.... And judging by the way he uses his first round picks, he didn't lose anything.

wolfpack
09-06-2009, 11:50 AM
30 something, contract up at the end of this year, for probably a top 8 pick. Give Al credit, hes got guts. But atleast he trying.
Wonder if Poili is trying anything other than our 1st for an o-lineman or wr.

yashi
09-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Seymour's going to be a free agent, so unless Al Davis wildly overpays to sign him to an extension, he just traded a 1st round pick to have Richard Seymour for 1 season.

Seymour is one of the best defensive lineman in the NFL, but the Raiders are not winning the Super Bowl this season.

The worst part of this is that it frees up cash for the Patriots to resign Wilfork, which means no Wilfork for us. This also means that Ron Brace will likely be Seymour's permanent replacement.

matthewschiefs
09-06-2009, 11:57 AM
I dont think this move helps the raiders to much in the short term and it realy will hurt them in the long run IMO. I dont see seymour being worth a first round pick. Hes good hes not that good.

KottkeKU
09-06-2009, 12:10 PM
it seems Pats fans are pretty happy with this move....Seymour is "getting old" from what they are saying, and they would have had to re-sign him to a huge deal...the Pats are trying to save money with this deal, its no question...i wonder if the economy had anything to do with it? hmm....

i still think Seymour has 2 maybe 3 good seasons left, but what do i know, i am no Pats fan.... but the Raiders???? This is an insult to Seymour, they are a terrible, terrible team..i feel bad for him lol... i like the fact it makes NE's defense worse this year tho...i hope the Bills win that division..

and i dont think there is any question this move hurts the Raiders in the long term, giving up a first rounder is a huge deal....especially to add a guy to a team that is as bad as OAK is right now...they arent winning anything soon...

then again, they do make retard picks in the 1s round, might as well trade it away lol...i dont think Huff, Gallery, or Heyward Bey, or Russell will be on the roster in the next couple years...McFadden being the only decent pick theyve had the last however many years...Russell has BUST written all over him, always did in my eyes...

matthewschiefs
09-06-2009, 12:41 PM
seymour is getting up there in age so to give up a first round pick for him is not that wise of a move and pretty much why the raiders are well the raiders. Russel is a bust pretty much he wont be much more then a backup in the nfl. Unless he can get out of oakland maybe then something can be made of him.

lucky_lefty
09-06-2009, 03:29 PM
smart move for OAK??? only solves one piece of their many problems and its only temporary....ANOTHER smart move for hoodie cause please believe, there will be a rookie salary cap in the next CBA and OAK will not be good anytime soon....kudos to that evil ******* Bellicheck once again

jmlamerson
09-06-2009, 03:40 PM
smart move for OAK??? only solves one piece of their many problems and its only temporary....ANOTHER smart move for hoodie cause please believe, there will be a rookie salary cap in the next CBA and OAK will not be good anytime soon....kudos to that evil ******* Bellicheck once again

Sure it's a good move for Oakland. They are going to sign Seymour long-term (I don't believe they'd make the trade without that committment). He'll give them a dependable presence on their DL for the next 4-5 years. All of a sudden the Raiders don't have bad personnel. The question is suddenly coaching and teammork, not talent.

If Cable turns out to be John Madden and Russell turns out to be a legit QB, they could make a playoff run. I don't think either of those will happen, but the Raiders 2009 offseason hasn't been nearly as bad as people think. They clearly made the right choice in not taking Crabtree, their FA haul wasn't bad, and this trade makes sense.

If they were any other team but Oakland and any other owner but Al Davis, people would be hailing them as geniuses right now.

lucky_lefty
09-06-2009, 03:52 PM
I don't think Seymour would resign. Better chance of Pioli bringing him here than staying in that disfunctional organization out there in the Bay.

DT14PRIEST
09-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Sure it's a good move for Oakland. They are going to sign Seymour long-term (I don't believe they'd make the trade without that committment). He'll give them a dependable presence on their DL for the next 4-5 years. All of a sudden the Raiders don't have bad personnel. The question is suddenly coaching and teammork, not talent.

If Cable turns out to be John Madden and Russell turns out to be a legit QB, they could make a playoff run. I don't think either of those will happen, but the Raiders 2009 offseason hasn't been nearly as bad as people think. They clearly made the right choice in not taking Crabtree, their FA haul wasn't bad, and this trade makes sense.

If they were any other team but Oakland and any other owner but Al Davis, people would be hailing them as geniuses right now.

They can't sign Richard long term they're cap restricted this year going into the season after paying the gargantuan contracts of Nnamdi, JMac, and Hey-werd Bey. They've basically inherited Seymour for a one year deal. After this season he's going to hit the market as an UFA. Unless they want to spend a franchise tag on him next year they've only hired his services for this year.

The raiders were already in the lower half of NFL teams in terms of cap space going into the off season. This is a curious and ridiculous move considering Seymour turns 30 this year, is a 3-4 End with a couple of good years left in him, and Oakland running the 4-3 base set which, from what I heard, Seymour has been somewhat average in considering the Pats are moving to more 4-3 fronts.

I think this is a bone headed move. The Raider are giving away at least a top 10 pick away for a year of service for an aging vet not even tailored to play their style of defense.

Once again the Pats prove why they're the best team in football when it comes to roster management and planning for the future.

KristofLaw
09-06-2009, 06:17 PM
I agree with JM, the Raiders are likely going to sign him long term sometime this season. Particularly with the possibility of an uncapped season coming, but who knows.

It's curious all the movement that's been going between the Patriots and the AFC West this year too.

yashi
09-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Here's how I look at it. By the time the Raiders are (possibly) ready to compete, Seymour is going to be a player well past his prime eating a very large portion of their salary cap. The pick they just traded could very likely be a top 5 pick in a rookie pay scale, so it won't be as expensive as that pick would be now.

The Patriots can start Brace in Seymour's place and it won't be a gigantic dropoff, especially not in the long term. They can now guarantee themselves the ability to extend Wilfork, and will also have that potential top 5 pick to draft Seymour's replacement in a couple years if Brace doesn't pan out, or perhaps use it for maybe their next QB since Brady will be 34 at that point. They could also trade the pick sometime between now and then.

The Patriots win this deal, in my opinion.

pbatrucker
09-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Why a 2011 1st rounder,did oaky not want to give up the 2010
The Pats are taking a chance that there will be a rookie salary cap in 2011.

KottkeKU
09-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Brace (whoever he is) must be pretty good if he made Richard Seymour expendable...i think the Pats took a step back on defense THIS year, but this is no question a huge step forward long term....Pats know how to draft 1st rounders...nice work Bellichick...

Argo
09-06-2009, 08:16 PM
No prob man :bananen_smilies046:

I cant believe the old man actually made a move like this.... And judging by the way he uses his first round picks, he didn't lose anything.

:lol: Sooo true .. best move ever.

Bike
09-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Pats win this trade. Davis is desperate to win another superbowl before the expiration date on his birth certificate cancels him out. I mean, really, why not keep your 1st rd pick and use it for somebody like Gerald McCoy from OU? Davis is senile. Belichick is a genius and parted ways with a player that was getting up there and picked up a 1st round pick to boot. He's doing what we're doing. He's rebuilding...

AkChief49
09-06-2009, 10:54 PM
Pats win this trade. Davis is desperate to win another superbowl before the expiration date on his birth certificate cancels him out. I mean, really, why not keep your 1st rd pick and use it for somebody like Gerald McCoy from OU? Davis is senile. Belichick is a genius and parted ways with a player that was getting up there and picked up a 1st round pick to boot. He's doing what we're doing. He's rebuilding...
he'll probably turn that 1st rounder into 2 2nds

Chiefster
09-06-2009, 11:00 PM

You mean he's still alive? :lol:

Bike
09-06-2009, 11:03 PM
You mean he's still alive? :lol:
Exactly!! Thats why I think Davis makes this move for a 2011 1st pick. By then he'll be dead.

Pro_Angler
09-06-2009, 11:26 PM
great the pats get another high 1st rounder for a guy they werent even gonna start..

Bike
09-06-2009, 11:31 PM
great the pats get another high 1st rounder for a guy they werent even gonna start..
Well I think he would have started. After all, he is still one of the best defensive linemen playing today. But this being the last year of his contract, I doubt Pats would had picked him up...

captainamerica
09-07-2009, 01:08 AM
I think this was another Raiders mistake. With a team bad as their team is they could easily be drafting in the top 5 in 2011. There's no way any aging D-lineman is worth that high of a pick.

josh1971
09-07-2009, 01:28 AM
Aging veterans is all part of the Raider way- fill your team with dudes who were awesome at one point, and maybe it will all fall together into a super bowl victory.

yashi
09-07-2009, 01:37 AM
Aging veterans is all part of the Raider way- fill your team with dudes who were awesome at one point, and maybe it will all fall together into a super bowl victory.

Davis likes guys he can relate with.

McLovin
09-07-2009, 01:45 AM
Davis likes guys he can relate with.

It said he likes aging, not fossils. Otherwise he would sign Chiefster, although he couldn't pay a wise man like Chiefster enough to go into the black whole.

lucky_lefty
09-07-2009, 02:05 AM
The Pats are taking a chance that there will be a rookie salary cap in 2011.

oh trust me, there will be.....that's something i think vets & owners agree on

chiefan
09-07-2009, 10:18 AM
I could definitely see the Pat's making a push for Nadumkong Suh in next years draft. They are moving more towards a 4-3 front as well.

AkChief49
09-07-2009, 10:50 PM
and Seymour is not too happy about it. who would be? Cable said on NFL that Seymour "wanted to be there". righhhhht!

Harrison: Seymour's "not thrilled" with deal to Raiders
Posted by Tom Curran on September 7, 2009 9:55 PM ET

Retired safety Rodney Harrison told PFT Monday night that he has spoken to his former Patriots teammate and close friend Richard Seymour about the deal that sent Seymour to Oakland.

And?

"He's not thrilled," said Harrison, now an analyst for NBC's Football Night in America. "Who would be thrilled to go to the Oakland Raiders? Maybe somebody who's happy to just get a chance but not a guy like Richard Seymour, a five-time Pro Bowler. For a veteran player to go to Oakland at this juncture it's just difficult.

"Put yourself in his position," Harrison added. "He's going from a first-class organization to one of the worst in the NFL. You have the head coach fighting the assistant coaches, the owner involved in the day-to-day operations, guys who don't believe in the quarterback. . . . Tom Brady to JaMarcus Russell? Come on. Is that something to look forward to? Why would he be excited?"

Asked if Seymour would report to the Raiders, Harrison said, "I don't know that. Only Richard knows that. But I wouldn't go to Oakland. There's no way in the world I would go to Oakland. The only way I would report is if they promised they wouldn't franchise me after this year."

Seymour, who turns 30 in October, is due to become a free agent in March 2010.

Harrison acknowledged the sound business sense the deal made for both teams involved.

"It's a great deal for the Raiders," he said. "Combine Richard with Tommy Kelly on the defensive line, you have [Nnamdi] Asomugha in the secondary, there's some talent there and you've brought in a player who knows how to win and be a professional.

"And you look at the move made by [Patriots head coach Bill] Belichick, and you can see him saying, 'I'd rather get rid of a guy before the last year of his contract.' He knows the Raiders will stink so it's a top-10 pick in return for a guy who's gonna be 30. You know what? That's the business.

"The trade off is, guys get to win championships and make a lot of money, but at the end, it's business. I knew that and instead of my getting whacked [by New England], I whacked myself. If you make money and you're older, it's inevitable you're gonna get whacked."

So that's what happened to Randy Hanson.