PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs working out Veteran T Jon Runyan

complexrealmz
09-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Biggs: Source says Chiefs checking out Runyan | National Football Post (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Biggs-Source-says-Chiefs-checking-out-Runyan.html)

do you guys think he has enough left to help out the Chiefs?

DT14PRIEST
09-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Biggs: Source says Chiefs checking out Runyan | National Football Post (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Biggs-Source-says-Chiefs-checking-out-Runyan.html)

do you guys think he has enough left to help out the Chiefs?

If I had to put it simply...yes

stricken721
09-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Hopefully. Even at 36 he's better than most the guys we have on the right side of the line.

Edit: I mean ALL of the guys on the right side

AkChief49
09-08-2009, 05:56 PM
The guy is a gamer. does not miss games. more veteran leadership on the o-line

yashi
09-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Hell yes! Bring him in. Between Runyan, O'Callaghan, and Ndukwe, somebody has to not suck.

imcorrect
09-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Bring him in!

honda522
09-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Good news, I wish we would of used a draft pick to pick up someone else but I guess Pioli thought he could do it through F/A

Big Daddy Tek
09-08-2009, 08:02 PM
this is excellent news if it happens! Jon runyan would instantly solidfy the right side of our line this year.

jmlamerson
09-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Not to be a downer, but John Runyan was replaced on the Redskins by a guy who hadn't played football in three years. He's injury prone and his skills are declining. If he's brought in, it almost certainly wouldn't be as a starter. He's in the reserve portion of his career.

yashi
09-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Not to be a downer, but John Runyan was replaced on the Redskins by a guy who hadn't played football in three years. He's injury prone and his skills are declining. If he's brought in, it almost certainly wouldn't be as a starter. He's in the reserve portion of his career.

Runyan's never played for the Redskins. Are you thinking of Jon Jansen?

rodu
09-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Runyan's never played for the Redskins. Are you thinking of Jon Jansen?

lmao

Big Daddy Tek
09-08-2009, 08:13 PM

Your getting him confused with Jon Jansen, JM. Runyan has never played for the Redskins. He's not injury prone at all. In fact Runyan holds the remarkable streak for an offensive lineman of having started 190 consecutive regular season games. This is the second longest streak among active NFL players. (pasted from wikipedia)

This guy is a prize JM!

jmlamerson
09-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Your getting him confused with Jon Jansen, JM. Runyan has never played for the Redskins. He's not injury prone at all. In fact Runyan holds the remarkable streak for an offensive lineman of having started 190 consecutive regular season games. This is the second longest streak among active NFL players. (pasted from wikipedia)

This guy is a prize JM!

Grrr. You're right of course. Yes, I am 100% for the Runyan signing.

:iamwithstupid:

KottkeKU
09-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Jansen plays for the Lions now (and did last year..) after his stint with the Skins...lol

anyways, why hasnt anyone else taken a look at Runyan? was he just released to get down to 53 from PHI, or has he been out of the game for the whole offseason?...

AkChief49
09-08-2009, 10:15 PM
he was just medically cleared

Coach
09-08-2009, 10:17 PM
I heard an interview with Runyan during the off-season. He has already been told that he needs knee-replacement surgery. The docs told him that he could play another season on his knee because it can't get any worse.

My guess is that this guy probably is a little more injury prone nowadays than he has been in the past.

Bike
09-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Sounds kinda risky...

Chiefster
09-08-2009, 10:35 PM
I heard an interview with Runyan during the off-season. He has already been told that he needs knee-replacement surgery. The docs told him that he could play another season on his knee because it can't get any worse.

My guess is that this guy probably is a little more injury prone nowadays than he has been in the past.

Unfortunately an all too common problem among O-lineman.

Vandelay
09-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Lets get him in here. NOW!!

KCraised
09-09-2009, 01:56 AM
The article says he had the knee surgery already and is good to go.....:)

yashi
09-09-2009, 08:05 AM
he had microfracture surgery... a 1 year deal wouldn't hurt us. We can draft a more long term RT next year or sign one.

McLovin
09-09-2009, 08:05 AM
Although I have heard it is really hard to come back from microfracture surgery. Some have done it and others end up retiring. Here is the wikipedia page on it, it starts out sounding good then talks below about how it doesn't always work.

Microfracture surgery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microfracture_surgery)

Sephyre
09-09-2009, 08:31 AM
It's a great addition.

Runyan was only replaced because he was questionable for the season and Andy Reid wanted to have the line shored up before TC.

Massive upgrade over anything we have if he is healthy. Despite declining slightly over the last two years he is still a solid RT.

Coach
09-09-2009, 08:34 AM

Microfracture and the typical draining of fluids has already happened. Knee replacement when he retires. Those are his words, not mine.

pbatrucker
09-09-2009, 09:11 AM
At the very least it would add valuable depth and experiance to our OL. Probably won't play til week 2 or 3. But hell yes, we need help

KCraised
09-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Yeah, it said "knee surgery" in the article. Then, I went and read some articles about him and saw the microfracture explanation. I hope he is the exception.....i see he ranks up there in the top dirtiest players. Thats fine by me. After all this losing, im ready to take the gloves off, for a change;)

tbone8801
09-09-2009, 11:05 AM
about 2 months 2 late! thanks pioli!

KCINNYC
09-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Anyone is better than Mcintosh and Richardson, so to have Ndukwe, O'Callaghan, and possibly Runyan is by far more than I dreamed when training camp started. Its not a permanent fix, but way better than going with the previous two clowns we had

Drunker Hillbilly
09-09-2009, 12:04 PM
He could have knee replacement surgery tomorrow and play Sunday and be an upgrade to our team!!

Vandelay
09-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Anyone is better than Mcintosh and Richardson, so to have Ndukwe, O'Callaghan, and possibly Runyan is by far more than I dreamed when training camp started. Its not a permanent fix, but way better than going with the previous two clowns we had
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/09/11.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://club.ino.com/trading/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/2clowns.jpg&imgrefurl=http://club.ino.com/trading/2009/08/cash-for-clunkers-and-now-cash-for-traders/&usg=__PyRNuZ94CjEvLFIw_lhxr_ynCg0=&h=808&w=791&sz=66&hl=en&start=4&tbnid=67Y2niYGsERKaM:&tbnh=143&tbnw=140&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtwo%2Bclowns%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa %3DG)

KCINNYC
09-09-2009, 01:47 PM
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/09/11.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://club.ino.com/trading/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/2clowns.jpg&imgrefurl=http://club.ino.com/trading/2009/08/cash-for-clunkers-and-now-cash-for-traders/&usg=__PyRNuZ94CjEvLFIw_lhxr_ynCg0=&h=808&w=791&sz=66&hl=en&start=4&tbnid=67Y2niYGsERKaM:&tbnh=143&tbnw=140&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtwo%2Bclowns%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa %3DG)

ha ha ha aha ha hahaha

chief31
09-10-2009, 03:30 AM
He is a very good football player, and at a position of dire need.

I am betting that we will sign him, and he will be taking over immediately. Likely to not be listed as the starter for game one. But only injury will keep this guy off the field.

I will be thrilled.

pbatrucker
09-10-2009, 06:17 AM
At 2 pm yesterday Runyon had not been spotted in town.

Chiefster
09-10-2009, 06:35 AM
At 2 pm yesterday Runyon had not been spotted in town.

Well take "point" and watch for him. :D

Seek
09-10-2009, 07:53 AM
about 2 months 2 late! thanks pioli!

Hey, Thank Herm Edwards. He is the one who killed the offensive line. There is only so much a team can fix in one year. Pioli is trying to fix the team through the draft instead of band aids. Pioli thought they could get by with what they had for one year. Unlike Herm, they realized that this is not the case and they are diligently looking to fix it.

Chiefster
09-10-2009, 08:11 AM
Hey, Thank Herm Edwards. He is the one who killed the offensive line. There is only so much a team can fix in one year. Pioli is trying to fix the team through the draft instead of band aids. Pioli thought they could get by with what they had for one year. Unlike Herm, they realized that this is not the case and they are diligently looking to fix it.

This...

Rep!:bananen_smilies046:

yashi
09-10-2009, 09:18 AM
I have to hand it to the Pioli/Haley regime. If they see a major problem, they try to fix it immediately. There's not a doubt in my mind that had Herm/Carl still been around that Damian McIntosh would have started every game this season at RT.

I was a little upset that the offensive line wasn't addressed more in the offseason, but I'm glad that it is now.

Seek
09-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Pioli was on 810 this morning. They specifcally asked if they are going to persue Runyan. He siad they worked him out gave him a physical and will continue working with his agent, but John was also going to persue other options. He said the door is not closed, but it isn't kicked wide open either.

wolfpack
09-11-2009, 12:41 PM
He will only come here if he thinks he`ll start. And with us thats a great possablity. I think it will come down to does he want to play for a 4-12 team or above 500 team in his mind.

McLovin
09-11-2009, 01:09 PM
The more I hear I am not sure I want this guy. I also don't know that the Chiefs will want him. Here's why.

1. Just coming off of surgery. A surgery that has a medium to low success percentage.

2. At best he has a year or two left. I maybe wrong but I don't think so.

3. I have heard he is all about competition, that is great but he has said (or at least others have said about him) that he wants to start and isn't interested in helping any of the younger guys.
This is the main reason I am not interested, and I don't think if true that Haley will be either, I know all about win now but if he isn't interested in bringing up and mentoring the younger guys then what help would he be to THIS team. If someone is a RT away from the Super Bowl you take him, otherwise you save the money for a veteran who may not be as solid but is willing to help coach the younger guys so they are solid in a year or so.

And last, We just got O'Callahan If we didn't think he was any good then why even pick him up. I know the team is desperate but I don't think this spot is so desperate that they have to go out and get a me person for one year. I just don't know how much that helps.

yashi
09-11-2009, 01:46 PM
The more I hear I am not sure I want this guy. I also don't know that the Chiefs will want him. Here's why.

1. Just coming off of surgery. A surgery that has a medium to low success percentage.

2. At best he has a year or two left. I maybe wrong but I don't think so.

3. I have heard he is all about competition, that is great but he has said (or at least others have said about him) that he wants to start and isn't interested in helping any of the younger guys.
This is the main reason I am not interested, and I don't think if true that Haley will be either, I know all about win now but if he isn't interested in bringing up and mentoring the younger guys then what help would he be to THIS team. If someone is a RT away from the Super Bowl you take him, otherwise you save the money for a veteran who may not be as solid but is willing to help coach the younger guys so they are solid in a year or so.

And last, We just got O'Callahan If we didn't think he was any good then why even pick him up. I know the team is desperate but I don't think this spot is so desperate that they have to go out and get a me person for one year. I just don't know how much that helps.

Well, I think the main thing is that even if he only plays 1 year of good RT, that keeps Cassel alive this year and we can address the situation next season via the draft or free agency. Right now the right side of the line is in shambles, and our 83 million dollar investment has already been injured because of it.

Bike
09-11-2009, 01:50 PM
If Runyan is not an absolute positive for this team - ie, a team player that wants to be here - Pioli/Haley won't sign him...

tipidweller
09-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Runyan was a staple for years in philly, not to mention a probowler. Our o line needs so much help. He is bound to have at least a couple years of prime play left. Long enough to contribute and teach the youngsters how its done.

McLovin
09-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Runyan was a staple for years in philly, not to mention a probowler. Our o line needs so much help. He is bound to have at least a couple years of prime play left. Long enough to contribute and teach the youngsters how its done.
Thats part of the problem, he isn't interested in teaching the youngsters. For me that is a huge problem.

KCraised
09-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Im personally not worried about him teaching the youngsters. I just want him to help keep Cassel from being a vegetable by seasons end...

KC Maniac
09-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Thats part of the problem, he isn't interested in teaching the youngsters. For me that is a huge problem.

Just curious where you got this information? How do you know this?

McLovin
09-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Cant quote the sources (been a few days) but have read this in a couple places. I hope it isn't true but it looked legitimate. That he felt that if he brought the younger guys along and helped them that he may lose his job.
This was supposedly from a comment he made.

Again I hope I am wrong, I know me writing this won't change whether or not he is brought in, but I do feel if this is the case, Pioli / Haley will pass. On this other hand if he does not feel this way and is willing to mentor the younger guys then this could be a good addition.

Regardless it wont happen till after the game Sunday, As a vested veteran his entire base salary would be guaranteed if he played in week one.

That will give Pioli/Haley time to look at the O-Line we have against the Ravens and see if there is reason to panic.

chief31
09-13-2009, 12:04 AM
If Runyan is not an absolute positive for this team - ie, a team player that wants to be here - Pioli/Haley won't sign him...

Sure they would.

Runyan has a reputation for being a jerk. But if they want to see any success from this offense, then they have to know that Runyan has always done very well at his job. And that would be very helpful to the rest of the team.

It is pretty likely that he would only be here for one year, regardless of rather we wanted him longer, due to the knee situation.

He isn't a lockerroom cancer. Very well respected by all former teammates. ("All" is assumed. But I have always heard very respectful comments from teammates.)

What he may lack in the 'cheerleading' area, he makes up for in the 'dedicated' area.

He would be a big help in advancing the progression of this offense. And I can't help but think that, if healthy enough, Pioli and Haley would want him here, even if he isn't trying to be a mentor.

Seek
09-15-2009, 07:53 AM
Has anyone signed Runyan yet. More help on the line would be nice....

yashi
09-15-2009, 08:00 AM
Has anyone signed Runyan yet. More help on the line would be nice....

I actually expect him to sign with a team today. Yesterday the Bills had a game and they were one of the 3 teams he worked out with, so I think today we'll hear some news.

slimdagreat
09-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Grrr. You're right of course. Yes, I am 100% for the Runyan signing.

:iamwithstupid:

LOL at least you have a good sense of humor about it

Bike
09-15-2009, 08:20 PM
Sure they would.

Well, if we see Runyan in a Chiefs uniform this week, I'll give it to ya. But as I stated, I think not...

Coach
09-15-2009, 11:25 PM
Runyan has not signed anywhere YET. But the Eagles have placed Shawn Andrews on IR, which makes it very likely that the Eagles could be in running for his services...again. I would imagine that Runyan would prefer to play there for lots of reasons. If Andy Reid calls, he will be an Eagle.

Shawn Andrews of Philadelphia Eagles placed on injured reserve with back, make room for Jeff Garcia - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4474988)

yashi
09-16-2009, 01:55 PM
Interesting development... the Eagles are so impressed with Winston Justice that they're apparently not planning on signing Runyan.

Eagles not planning to sign Runyan | ProFootballTalk.com (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/16/eagles-not-planning-to-sign-runyan/)

Also regarding the Bills, Runyan is strictly a right tackle, and from what I hear fans are happy with their RT but would worry about him if he was moved to LT. Runyan obviously won't sign with a team unless he's going to be starting.

I think by process of elimination, we should be the favorites to sign him right now unless Green Bay enters the mix. Their RT was getting destroyed Sunday night.

jap1
09-17-2009, 12:18 AM
I have a feeling he didnt recover well enough from his knee surgeries. He must have lost a lot of strength or mobility. He used to be a great RT, so I am kinda surprised he hasnt signed yet.

Either way, I think if we wanted him, we would have made an offer to him already. Maybe he doesnt want to play for us or he doesnt like what we offered him.

Chiefster
09-17-2009, 12:23 AM
Interesting development... the Eagles are so impressed with Winston Justice that they're apparently not planning on signing Runyan.

Eagles not planning to sign Runyan | ProFootballTalk.com (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/16/eagles-not-planning-to-sign-runyan/)

Also regarding the Bills, Runyan is strictly a right tackle, and from what I hear fans are happy with their RT but would worry about him if he was moved to LT. Runyan obviously won't sign with a team unless he's going to be starting.

I think by process of elimination, we should be the favorites to sign him right now unless Green Bay enters the mix. Their RT was getting destroyed Sunday night.

Interesting!