PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade for Crabtree?

texaschief
09-11-2009, 01:30 AM
Going into week 1, it looks like Crabtree is prepared to sit out the season if his terms are not met. With the success Pioli had in New England with the great receivers out there and the success Haley had with Fitz and Boldin, could the Chiefs pull the trigger to create their own 2 headed monster?

They bring in a QB who they think is the future for the Chiefs, but haven't provided him targets to throw to (in fact, have subtracted... see T. Gonzalez) and haven't given him any protection.

So, since the Chiefs are lacking at WR right now, would you trade your 2010 first round pick for Crabtree if you could get him RIGHT NOW?

The problem I see with this, is that with this being such a young team, you just don't know what your biggest needs will be in April. So, do you spend the pick to address one of your biggest needs RIGHT NOW or hold the first and hope the guy you get next April is a comparable player?

Personally, I think I'd pull the trigger. Crabtree was considered a top 5 prospect before his ankle surgery. He has shown it's healthy. He's a legit #1 WR. He won't be the fastest guy in the league and is a similar WR to Bowe, but I don't see us picking in the top 5 again in April and getting a player of this caliber with a pick that could be anywhere from 8-23 is worth it in my opinion.

If the defense makes the strides people are starting to think it will, it could keep the Chiefs in as many games as the offense kept us in, last season. Then, with the addition of Crabtree to an offense that boasts Larry Johnson, Dwayne Bowe and the same Matt Cassel from last year, and with a 3rd down screen back like Charles, this offense could be at least average. A slightly above average defense and an average offense could give this team an average finishing record, which is roughly 8-8. An 8-8 record puts you roughly at the 15-17 draft position.

If you can look at this team and see an average team with the addition of Crabtree, in my opinion, you'd have to pull the trigger. The player fills a need and would ABSOLUTELY be the best player available if he were sitting there for you at #15 next April. If you look at this team and the addition of Crabtree wouldn't matter because there's no way you can get above a #5-8 draft position, then you shouldn't make the trade.

I think the addition of Crabtree would lift us higher than a #15 draft position. But I'm more inclined to make the trade because I already think this team won't be drafting in the top ten to start with, so as long as we're drafting lower than 8, I'm making the trade.

But, maybe I'm just seeing more in this team than what's really there. I think this defense is going to be a top 10-15 defense and that our offense will start clicking about mid-season.

Bottom line, if you believe you're trading a #10 pick or lower (11-32), you should strongly consider trading for him. You would think the 49ers would believe they'd be getting a top 10 pick, so they'd probably agree to the trade as well.

Big Daddy Tek
09-11-2009, 02:19 AM
I agree with you Tex. I think this would be a good move. Crabtree is a tremendous talent and maybe the most talented player in the entiore draft last year.

Unfortunatly, this is not possible anymore. NFL rules have a deadline for this kind of trade and that time passed about 3 weeks ago. Crabtree's options are as follows: Sign now or re-enter next year. The funny thing about that is the 49ers own the rights to Crabtree until 2 weeks leading up to the draft. In other words, he would not be allowed to do ANY public workouts, combine, physicals, anything, until then. It would obviously be too late. From what I read last week, the 49ers are actually gonna start taking money off the board as time goes by for Crabtree. This guy just costed himself alot of money!

jap1
09-11-2009, 02:31 AM
I agree with you Tex. I think this would be a good move. Crabtree is a tremendous talent and maybe the most talented player in the entiore draft last year.

Unfortunatly, this is not possible anymore. NFL rules have a deadline for this kind of trade and that time passed about 3 weeks ago. Crabtree's options are as follows: Sign now or re-enter next year. The funny thing about that is the 49ers own the rights to Crabtree until 2 weeks leading up to the draft. In other words, he would not be allowed to do ANY public workouts, combine, physicals, anything, until then. It would obviously be too late. From what I read last week, the 49ers are actually gonna start taking money off the board as time goes by for Crabtree. This guy just costed himself alot of money!

So the 49ers have sole rights to him up until the draft, but arent allowed to trade him? That sounds like a stupid rule.

Anyways, I am not too sold on Crabtree. He has to have a major prima donna attitude if he is willing to threaten sitting out a whole season. From what I heard, he doesn't want to accept money equal to his draft pick number. He thinks he is better than Heyward-Bey and so should be paid more. I also am not sure he is the BEST WR. I think he will be good, but am not sure his experience in the Texas Tech offense translates well into the NFL.

texaschief
09-11-2009, 02:36 AM
I got the idea from this, posted on ESPN's rumors page:

While NFL Insider Adam Schefter continues to paint a picture of doubt regarding the Michael Crabtree negotiations, Matt Maiocco of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat may have identified the new end game: a trade next spring for future draft picks.

Maiocco notes that there is a precedent in the NFL for a high draft pick holding out the entire season, then being traded. In 1987, the Cardinals used the sixth overall pick on Kelly Stouffer, who then sat out the entire season. In April, just prior to the 1988 draft, the Cards traded Stouffer's rights in exchange for a fifth-rounder that season and a first- and fifth-rounder in the 1989 draft.

We might've thought the Raiders would be the best bet for such a deal in April 2010, but they just traded their 2011 first-rounder away.

But, if we can't get him for this season, I wouldn't do it. Maybe at the end of this season, a big-time WR WILL be our biggest need and at our spot in the draft, it could work out that trading for Crabtree would be advantageous. Right now, you have to think WR, OLB, or OL would be our biggest concerns going into the draft. I'd wait till the second round to address the OL because the positions we need to fill are on the right side and wasting a first round pick on the right side of the OL is a complete waste in my opinion. A second rounder would fill the hole just as nicely with a little less risk.

So, sitting there in the first round, a WR COULD be our best option... just depends i guess.

Guru
09-11-2009, 02:36 AM
I am sick of rookies pulling this crap.

texaschief
09-11-2009, 02:41 AM
So the 49ers have sole rights to him up until the draft, but arent allowed to trade him? That sounds like a stupid rule.

Anyways, I am not too sold on Crabtree. He has to have a major prima donna attitude if he is willing to threaten sitting out a whole season. From what I heard, he doesn't want to accept money equal to his draft pick number. He thinks he is better than Heyward-Bey and so should be paid more. I also am not sure he is the BEST WR. I think he will be good, but am not sure his experience in the Texas Tech offense translates well into the NFL.

I've seen the guy play in person. His game will translate at ANY level. He's the real deal and MUCH better than the no-name the Raiders took. Crabtree is a REAL play-maker. Almost all WRs are divas... Dwayne Bowe is no exception and Haley has that corrected apparently.

The spread offense doesn't affect WRs like it affects QBs. Wes Welker is pretty good and he came from the EXACT same system and doesn't even come close to having the skill-set Crabtree has. This shouldn't be a concern. He can run precise routes and catches anything that comes close. That's what you want in a WR.

Big Daddy Tek
09-11-2009, 02:48 AM
Heres the rule: " As per the CBA, now that we are within 30 days of the start of the regular season, San Francisco can't trade the rights to Crabtree, or the signed player himself, until the start of the 2010 league year at the earliest (March 1)."

Heres a link explaining this and other options:
The lengthy holdout of 49ers top pick Crabtree defies all logic (http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=09000d5d812540dd&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

McLovin
09-11-2009, 03:24 AM
Wouldnt it be great to see this idiot hold out and not play this year then next year ahead of schedule the league institute a new rookie cap rule and cost him even more, or better yet him be the next Maurice Clarett and never play a game in the NFL. I am sick of these rookies who have proved NOTHING coming in thinking they own the league.

Cant wait for the rookie pay scale that the league mandates to get this under control.

For the record, I hate Ely for the way he did the Chargers, and I hope Craptree rots. The NFL isnt a right it is a priviledge. I wouldnt want this fungus on our team. If the Chiefs wanted a cancer they could have went after T.O. at least he is proven.

pbatrucker
09-11-2009, 06:26 AM
I like Crabtree's talent, not his attitude, Next years draft will have quite a few talented WR's.

AkChief49
09-11-2009, 08:53 AM
Wouldnt it be great to see this idiot hold out and not play this year then next year ahead of schedule the league institute a new rookie cap rule and cost him even more, or better yet him be the next Maurice Clarett and never play a game in the NFL. I am sick of these rookies who have proved NOTHING coming in thinking they own the league.

Cant wait for the rookie pay scale that the league mandates to get this under control.

For the record, I hate Ely for the way he did the Chargers, and I hope Craptree rots. The NFL isnt a right it is a priviledge. I wouldnt want this fungus on our team. If the Chiefs wanted a cancer they could have went after T.O. at least he is proven.
do not forget that Elway pretty much did the same thing to the Colts.

wolfpack
09-11-2009, 09:10 AM
What has he proven outside a pass happy college team.Nothing.All the other mouthy WR`s atleast waited till they had a year or two in the nfl to prove themselfs. The old saying put up or shut up should fit nicely here.
Even if you traded a 1st for him it dosent mean he`ll sign a contract.
A rookie cap is needed bad.

yashi
09-11-2009, 09:10 AM
It's going to be funny when he re-enters the draft next year and gets drafted even lower.

I certainly wouldn't mind having him because our second best WR is 36 year old Bobby Engram for crying out loud. I wouldn't enjoy his diva attitude though and he doesn't seem like the type of guy who would have any loyalty towards a team.

honda522
09-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Hell no, he is after money. We already signed our first round pick to big bucks as well as Matt Cassel.

He is not nearly as good as what he should be by this point. He has missed all camps and practices. I wouldn't be suprised if he is getting out of shape to.

tbone8801
09-11-2009, 09:21 AM
rookie cap would've already solved this problem!

garciakcfan
09-11-2009, 09:47 AM
why would you want someone like this on our team? an unproven prima-donna thats mad he didnt get drafted where he thought he should have... hasnt proved anything and is going to get drafted lower than what he did this year.. sorry ill pass..

brish
09-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Pass.. He doesn't have a pro attitude or a team first mentality.
They offered him his slotted value, but apparently he thinks he was drafted in the top 5..

matthewschiefs
09-11-2009, 11:01 AM
I wouldnt just becuse hes been in the NFL for 2 minuits and has already been a major headace. Hes proven nothing and expects everything. Nothing but a problem

yashi
09-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Haley has a history of bringing out the best in wide receivers though. And I can tell you he wouldn't put up with that diva attitude for 1 second, or Crabtree would be doing sprints until he passes out every day.

isht_starter
09-11-2009, 11:04 AM
I wouldn't touch Crabtree with a 10' pole.

Steve Young has a local bay area radio show and he was asked about the Michael Crabtree stalemate. Steve said that the people he had talked to that know Michael Crabtree said that Michael doesn't want to play for the 49ers because Mike Singletary wants his offense to be a run-oriented squad and Michael doesn't feel that he will get enough opportunities in the offense. On top of that he's not fond of the QB situation in SF and is worried that if he doesn't get enough catches it will hurt his chances for securing endorsements.

It's also been rumored that Michael Crabtree was mentally broken by coach Singletary in mini-camps to the point where he was crying.

wichitaj
09-11-2009, 12:59 PM
just go and draft a julio jones or AJ Green next year in with our extra second round pick. why pay the money for such a pain in the ***??

captainamerica
09-11-2009, 03:52 PM
I'd rather give up a 1st for Marshall or Boldin. Crabtree isn't worth a first or the money. The most I'd give up is a 3rd round pick for him.

KCCF
09-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Id rather get Boldin than Marshall and Crabtree. In my opinion Boldin doesnt get enough credit because hes overshadowed by Larry Fitzgerald

KC Maniac
09-11-2009, 04:27 PM
Hell no. We need to be spending our money right now on other things, much more fundamental. A WR like that does no good if the QB is eating grass every play. It would be a waste of money....Next season or the season after that if there is a stud WR available MAYBE it would be a good idea, but right now, HELL NO.

matthewschiefs
09-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Hell no. We need to be spending our money right now on other things, much more fundamental. A WR like that does no good if the QB is eating grass every play. It would be a waste of money....Next season or the season after that if there is a stud WR available MAYBE it would be a good idea, but right now, HELL NO.

I agree while i think that the Chiefs do need some help it would be smarter to spend More on the o line then at reciver. GO CHIEFS!!!!!

m0ef0e
09-11-2009, 11:11 PM
Craptree can sit at home nursing his ego all season. I'd be just fine if he never played a down in the NFL. Gonna LMAO @ him next year when he re-enters the draft and goes 2nd day. That 30mil or w/e the niners are offering him now will probably look pretty good at that point..

AkChief49
09-11-2009, 11:20 PM
Craptree can sit at home nursing his ego all season. I'd be just fine if he never played a down in the NFL. Gonna LMAO @ him next year when he re-enters the draft and goes 2nd day. That 30mil or w/e the niners are offering him now will probably look pretty good at that point..
:lol::lol:perfect!

Big Daddy Tek
09-12-2009, 12:38 AM
I belive the correct name would be "Cashtree"

matthewschiefs
09-12-2009, 12:57 AM

I have a felling that this would be a problem no matter were he is drafted he thinks that hes worth all this money when he has not play one down. I REALY hope the chiefs dont touch him. I dont think they will. GO CHIEFS!!!!!

captainamerica
09-12-2009, 01:39 AM
You know what I think would be great? I think it'd be great if he sat out all season, entered into next years draft and than was selected by the 49ers once again only this time in the 7th round. I think that'd be hilarious. If I were in charge of the 49ers and Crabtree was available in the 7th round next year I'd draft him just to piss him off.

rbedgood
09-12-2009, 03:18 AM
You know what I think would be great? I think it'd be great if he sat out all season, entered into next years draft and than was selected by the 49ers once again only this time in the 7th round. I think that'd be hilarious. If I were in charge of the 49ers and Crabtree was available in the 7th round next year I'd draft him just to piss him off.

LOL...I'd take him earlier, and get him for a discount compared to this year.

Here is the stupidity of this situation

1) Players who sit out a year drop in value thus in draft position (see Maurice Clarett, & Mike Williams)

2) Players who sit out miss endorsement money

3) Most rookies get a 5 year deal (meaning they don't get their second contract for 4-5 years...by sitting out a year he delays that by a year also.

So...

In an effort to get an extra $7,000,000 he is costing himself

1) 10-15 draft positions next year (or about 12-15 million)

2) A year's salary (this year)

3) Endorsement money (at least 1-2 million for a first rounder in a big market)

4) An extra year before first free agent contract / franchise tag (big dollars)

What a moron!

Canada
09-12-2009, 06:57 AM
LOL...I'd take him earlier, and get him for a discount compared to this year.

Here is the stupidity of this situation

1) Players who sit out a year drop in value thus in draft position (see Maurice Clarett, & Mike Williams)

2) Players who sit out miss endorsement money

3) Most rookies get a 5 year deal (meaning they don't get their second contract for 4-5 years...by sitting out a year he delays that by a year also.

So...

In an effort to get an extra $7,000,000 he is costing himself

1) 10-15 draft positions next year (or about 12-15 million)

2) A year's salary (this year)

3) Endorsement money (at least 1-2 million for a first rounder in a big market)

4) An extra year before first free agent contract / franchise tag (big dollars)

What a moron!

Are we allowed to use such language here?

McLovin
09-12-2009, 11:51 AM
After rewatching the StL game last night I realized, we already have Crabtree, his name is Tom Crabtree. He is on the practice squad and made some decent plays in the St Louis game.

One Crabtree is all we need, if we need anymore crabs we can go to Joes.

Got Crabs

rbedgood
09-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Are we allowed to use such language here?

Moron doesn't hit the censor list. I think we're good. Now if I were to call another user here a moron that could be construed as a personal attack which is an entirely different issue. However I was referring to Mr Crabtree who as of yet isn't a member.

Canada
09-12-2009, 09:22 PM
I know, i got a message about using the word moron too.

rbedgood
09-13-2009, 01:31 AM
I know, i got a message about using the word moron too.

Probably a warning for a personal attack??? Just guessing.

Canada
09-13-2009, 06:43 AM
Probably a warning for a personal attack??? Just guessing.

Nope, if it was you would have seen a thread thanking everyone about it.