- Tony was the first Cal player to letter in football and basketball since Joe Kapp in the 1950s.
- Tony’s career-high in scoring at Cal was 29 points against Washington State.
- Tony majored in Communications at Cal.
- In 1997, Tony received the Mack Lee Hill Award, given to Kansas City’s top rookie or first-year player.
- In 1999, Tony became the first Kansas City tight end to lead the team in catches since Walter White had 48 in 1977.
- Tony is already the all-time leader in receptions by a tight end for the Chiefs. He broke the team record of 198 by Fred Arbanas in 2000. During that season, he also became the first player other than a running back to lead Kansas City in receptions in consecutive seasons since wide receiver Stephone Paige did it in 1989-90.
- Tony reached the 300-catch plateau in 71 games, quicker than any player in Kansas City history. The previous mark was set by Chris Burford (76 games).
- Tony became Kansas City’s all-time leading receiver in 2003. During the season he passed Chief legends Otis Taylor and then Henry Marshall.
- One of these days, Tony plans to do a 360 slam-dunk under the goal-post after a touchdown.
- Tony wears a very special necklace that his mom gave him before he went into the pros. Inscribed with Chinese characters, the front says "Protection" and the back "Longevity." Tony never takes it off.
- Tony has been taking Spanish lessons for the last several years. In the spring of 2004, he spent time with a family in Mexico to fully immerse himself in Latino culture.
- Tony has size-16 feet.
- Tony appeared in the 2001 Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue with supermodel Heidi Klum.
- Tony’s five favorite movies are One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, Weird Science, Forrest Gump, Coming to America and Gladiator. His five favorite books are The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success, The Way of the Wizard, Zen in the Martial Arts, and First and Second Corinthians from the Bible.
- Tony’s teammates call him the “Big Mexican.”
- Tony is single but has a son named Nikko.
- Tony is an entrepreneur off the field. He is partners with Warren Moon in Sutra, a restaurant in Newport Beach, California, and also has an ownership share in several Baja Fresh restaurant franchises in Kansas City.
- Tony has appeared in several TV shows, including ABC’s “Married With the Kellys” and HBO’s “Arliss.” He was also a consultant for the movie Any Given Sunday, an Oliver Stone production.
- Tony has created his own charitable organization, the Tony Gonzalez Foundation (http://tonygonzalezfoundation.shadowbuddies.com/). It focuses on helping medically challenged children through the Shadow Buddies Foundation, and providing support for disadvantaged youth through The Boys and Girls Club. Tony is the only NFL player to have his own Shadow Buddy doll.
Tony Gonzalez of the Kansas City Chiefs. This is a bit tricky, though. Gonzalez is actually the highest paid tight end in the NFL; at the end of the 2006 season, the eight-time Pro Bowler signed a five-year deal with Kansas City that included nearly $18 million in guaranteed money. But it’s another one of those heavily backloaded deals: Gonzalez is officially making just $1 million this year and another $1 million in 2008. The California native has gone on record with his plans to play three more seasons, so the last two years and $10.25 million of that contract probably won’t see the light of day. All in all, pretty inexpensive for someone who led all tight ends last year with a 30.8 DPAR. And, yes, Gonzalez can block.
He's learned! Nice find! :sign0098:
Originally Posted by Polleo Pit Man
Gonzo is a complete back. First ballot HOF'r IMO.
Originally Posted by sling58
Tony-G is the best TE all time I think. Hes about to break records and hes been our star (or one of our)player(s) for 11 seasons. HoF is a definate for him. He will be long remembered even after he is gone especially in KC. He is the top paid TE in the league for good reason. He can catch, block, shake tackles, u name it.
One of the greatest things about Tony is his attitude on and off the field. Hes a good sport and does not get into trouble and likes to help out where he can.
He will be remembered like DT and Lenny are in KC.
Originally Posted by m0ebr0