Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Here's something you would never hear Herm say to a player!

Default Here's something you would never hear Herm say to a player!

I thought that's what he said. I like it. Brodie played way better from that point on. It's about time we have a coach that shows some attitude and isn't afraid to put a player in their place.
    Last edited by Chiefster; 09-14-2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Violated Language Rule

Quote Originally Posted by PawnshopMarimba View Post
    Well I was going to say forum but decided to back off and argue for even one measly thread dedicated to sailor-mouthed gents such as myself.

Fair enough, though. I'm not here to rabble-rouse, just putting in my two cents.
    Not a thing wrong with it bud. :)

I've never understood censorship.
    Many developed countries get to say or screen most anything they like on radio and television including "vulgar language" and nudity, and their youth are nowhere near as damaged as our own for being exposed to it. Real talk.

I've always been an English student, but I've never been able to grasp why so many people assign magical properties to certain words. They're just words, aren't they? They hold no real power, do they? I feel that by bending over backwards to accommodate those easily offended types that go into conniption fits over a choice arrangement of letters we are only serving to cater to the least common denominator, and encouraging the hyper-sensitivity problem that has become oh so prevalent in our culture.

But that's just me, I guess. I do try to follow the rules, even though I don't agree with some of them. Also, I'm drunk. :-D

/soapbox
    nothing like being on the internet drunk...just don't go overboard and send a drunk email to someone and regret it ....i do that alot with text messages hahaha...also agree with your post

Lol. Drunk dialing is bad stuff. I've had my share of it, lemme tell ya.

me the next morning

I've never understood censorship.
    Many developed countries get to say or screen most anything they like on radio and television including "vulgar language" and nudity, and their youth are nowhere near as damaged as our own for being exposed to it. Real talk.

I've always been an English student, but I've never been able to grasp why so many people assign magical properties to certain words. They're just words, aren't they? They hold no real power, do they? I feel that by bending over backwards to accommodate those easily offended types that go into conniption fits over a choice arrangement of letters we are only serving to cater to the least common denominator, and encouraging the hyper-sensitivity problem that has become oh so prevalent in our culture.

But that's just me, I guess. I do try to follow the rules, even though I don't agree with some of them. Also, I'm drunk. :-D

/soapbox
    I too use a "curse word" in almost every sentence in real life.

But there is a variety of different websites around. Plenty of Chiefs websites, even. And if none of them allow the kind of language that we are discussing, then you could always start your own site, with whatever rules you choose.

Since this is Coah's site, he makes the rules. Much like if he were to ask that noone smoke in his car, or scream in his home.

We are visiting his site. We just need to respect his rules.

Now, if it were someone's home, and they said "No 'curse words' in my home", I would probably have to leave.

Not because I choose to not obey the rule. It's because "what the ****'s going on?" doesn't have the backspace option in speech. But it is so easy to edit in type.

Peoples' choices of rules for THEIR home,Their restaraunt, THEIR car and THEIR website is... THEIRS.

Just because the website is "open to the public" does not mean that it belongs to the public. It is still privately owned.

Even if we were paying for membership, we are still guests.

Now, as I said above, I agree with sentiment of the quoted post. The words only mean whatever the user intended it to mean. ("What the ****'s going on?" = "What the heck's going on?")

I think the reason that the rules are employed here, is because one misunderstanding of the intent can breed the kind of atmosphere that is unwanted here.

And, as anyone who uses "curse words" regularly knows, that happens alot. Especially in heated debates.

So, as opposed to trying to police who misinterpreted what, (Like that doesn't already happen enough around here) the line can be drawn much more clearly at the well-known "curse words" point.

Rep for the logic, though, Pawn.

**** that **** you ****in *******. I will say whatever the **** I want. **** you!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

At the same time, coming from someone who does web development for a living, if you don't keep your visitors happy and appeal to your target audience as much as similar sites do, your traffic goes down because some will stop coming to your site and switch to using another one.

I'm not saying this necessarily applies here. Coach seems like a cool guy and I think he's trying to run a family-friendly Chief's site, which is fine of course. It's his website and in the end it's his decision on how to run it.

Just saying, driving visitors away is never a good thing. The more people that visit the site, the more people that will be buying from the store, visiting the forums, etc. Web sites are ultimately all the same, they're looking to generate as much traffic as possible.

You shouldn't feel like a "guest" at any site. You are essentially the customer, whether you're purchasing anything with cash or not. It's like watching a show on TV. You're not necessarily paying to watch it, but by watching it you help keep the show running.
    My 2 cents... I'm not going anywhere of course. Carry on!
    Last edited by yashi; 09-15-2009 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    At the same time, coming from someone who does web development for a living, if you don't keep your visitors happy and appeal to your target audience as much as similar sites do, your traffic goes down because some will stop coming to your site and switch to using another one.

I'm not saying this necessarily applies here. Coach seems like a cool guy and I think he's trying to run a family-friendly Chief's site, which is fine of course. It's his website and in the end it's his decision on how to run it.

Just saying, driving visitors away is never a good thing. The more people that visit the site, the more people that will be buying from the store, visiting the forums, etc. Web sites are ultimately all the same, they're looking to generate as much traffic as possible.

My 2 cents... I'm not going anywhere of course. Carry on!
    This is true also.

However, this site is not for profit. And does not require a large audience.

It is here because Coach wants a place to be able to talk/read about The Chiefs and Chiefs fans. (Basically)

Losing members is not a good thing, as it lowers the number of opinions being expressed. But members who want a different type of site, are always free to find that, elsewhere.

Heck, the site even managed to not fall off the face of the Earth when Iwas AWOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    **** that **** you ****in *******. I will say whatever the **** I want. **** you!!
    Editing: So easy a caveman can do it.

Its not like people dont get away with it here. The rule is no swearing and it is usually enforced when people are insulting others, or dropping the F bonb. I type sh!t adn b!tches all the time. I get a few infactions but thats about it. If u let one thread have swearing then it will spread and then people will get pissed off and there will be curse words and sh!t all over the site. That is what they are trying to avoid. Besides, type whatever you want and it is automatically filtered usually. We can usually figure out what people are saying.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast