Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time to KC!!

Default First time to KC!!

Hey guys, 6 of us are driving are driving 14 hours from Canada to watch the Raiders game this weekend. Just wonder if anyone knew where the Chiefs and Raiders team hotels were and any advice on where to eat/party, things to do. Thanks

Party = KC Power and Light district, or Westport

Eat = take your pick. Some good places down on the plaza if you're goin a lil more fancy.

Things to do = you do realize it's KC? All we have here is the Chiefs... maybe a couple of bowling alleys or something... but really just the Chiefs.

Team motels idk about but I do believe that visiting teams usually stay in the motel that is right across I-70 from the sports complex.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

there are things to do. If you like art there's the Nelson-Atkins museum. The KC Renaissance Festival is going on the weekends. For shopping there's the Plaza or Legends at Village West. There's bars and such out at Legends too.

Quote Originally Posted by m0ef0e View Post
    Party = KC Power and Light district, or Westport

Eat = take your pick. Some good places down on the plaza if you're goin a lil more fancy.

Things to do = you do realize it's KC? All we have here is the Chiefs... maybe a couple of bowling alleys or something... but really just the Chiefs.

Team motels idk about but I do believe that visiting teams usually stay in the motel that is right across I-70 from the sports complex.
    The only thing I'll add to that for eatery is go get some bbq! I've tried various "areas" of bbq, texas, southern, etc and KC has the best bbq.

BBQ is a must! Everyone has a favorite place, but the one most everyone can agree on is Oklahoma Joes.

As Stoneygirl suggested...shopping, eating & such at the Legends district. They also have that huge resort log cabin hotel & indoor water park by Legends, but have heard it's pricey to stay there. Cabela's is an attraction for many in the Legends district too.

Downtown has the historic waterfront district on the Missouri River...hotels downtown too, & not 'that' far from Arrowhead. There's the historic Jazz district downtown as well.

You may want to consider arriving at Arrowhead early on Sunday morning, to avoid stadium traffic. I've found it's best to get there no later than 10:30 for a noon game. It can take a good hour sometimes just to move a couple miles on 1-70's stadium lane exits if you get caught up in the traffic pushing game time.
    Last edited by Connie Jo; 09-16-2009 at 07:45 PM. Reason: typo

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    As Stoneygirl suggested...shopping, eating & such at the Legends district. They also have that huge resort log cabin hotel & indoor water park by Legends, but have heard it's pricey to stay there. Cabela's is an attraction for many in the Legends district too.

Downtown has the historic waterfront district on the Missouri River...hotels downtown too, & not 'that' far from Arrowhead. There's the historic Jazz district downtown as well.

You may want to consider arriving at Arrowhead early on Sunday morning, to avoid stadium traffic. I've found it's best to get there no later than 10:30 for a noon game. It can take a good hour sometimes just to move a couple miles on 1-70's stadium lane exits if you get caught up in the traffic pushing game time.
    I have found it best to be at the gates about 7:45-8:00 and wait in line - no moving traffic until the gates open but time to get that first beer out of the way ! and meet some people while you wait. I usually get in line with my car , then just get out grab a beer and hang out ! Gotta be there right away ! get the most of the tailgaiting experience . there is so much to take in once inside the gates it seems like its time to go in before you know it. oh and if you want beer , get it the night before because They dont sell beer in missouri on Sundays until like 9:30 .
    P.S .I have found that LC's BBQ is the best IMO . Its not a very fancy place but the food is amazing and its huge portions for your money ! Great burnt ends !http://www.10best.com/Kansas_City,MO...O/?tab=reviews
    Last edited by YZILLA; 09-17-2009 at 12:09 AM.

We have a Member here whose username is "Canada"; might wanna hook up with him, he is also from Canada.

Yeah, I agree YZILLA...my suggestion of 10:30 is a bit later than ideal, especially if wanting to join in the tailgating! Also, if wanting to visit the souviner fan stands before the rush...which a first timer may likely want to do. I would! haha :)

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

No one said Worlds of Fun? Its not closed for the season already, is it? An amusement park.
    We are all tired of it but you would love it;P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast