Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chief31s problem

Default Chief31s problem

Here is my problem...

Last season was a last gasp for the Chiefs. The veterans were giving it one go, in an attempt to win a Super Bowl.

This year is a rebuilding year. Granted, there are still a few veterans around, but who wants to quit such a glamorous job? This is a rebuilding year, where we are going to start a second-year, third-round draft pick at quarterback, a pair of second year safeties and possibly a pair of rookie defensive linemen.

That's fine with me. I understand that we need to rebuild. (Or retool, if you are scared of the word rebuild.) We have lost too much to continue to think we can win it all, now. With a new coach and retiring players, something has to be done. Therefore, you spend a year rebuilding/retooling.

A year of rebuilding would be fine, but I am seeing at least two rebuilding years. We have failed to prepare for a rebuilding year, by ignoring the positions that have been and will soon be vacated, due to retirement.

Our offensive line situation is a joke. Our corners are the oldest in the league. And there is no relief in sight, for either position. We have no serious prospects at either position.

When this seasons draft arrived, we had four positions that could have been deemed as immediate need positions. (Lumping the entire O-line into one single position.) We addressed two of them. The bad thing is that there were alot of opportunities to fill those positions in this years draft.

The same thing happened in the previous years draft. While Willie Roaf hadn't announced his retirement, to the press, he had told the Chiefs. It was a miracle that Winston Justice fell so far as to the Chiefs' selection. But then, he fell right past us.

Left tackle is an incredibly tough position to find a stand-out talent for. The Chiefs past on the opportunity, knowing that they were in need of a starting right tackle, and possibly a starting left tackle, too.

What that means is that over the next season, or two, we are going to have to address those positional needs. Then, once we have acquired the personell for those spots, we have to give them a season for rebuilding/retooling.

So, not only are we rebuilding this season, but we aren't even doing the whole job. We are doing a half-rebuild project. That bothers me.

Oh well, I got bored and thought that it would be good to write something. So, go ahead and bash me, I'm ready. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Here is my problem...

Last season was a last gasp for the Chiefs. The veterans were giving it one go, in an attempt to win a Super Bowl.

This year is a rebuilding year. Granted, there are still a few veterans around, but who wants to quit such a glamorous job? This is a rebuilding year, where we are going to start a second-year, third-round draft pick at quarterback, a pair of second year safeties and possibly a pair of rookie defensive linemen.

That's fine with me. I understand that we need to rebuild. (Or retool, if you are scared of the word rebuild.) We have lost too much to continue to think we can win it all, now. With a new coach and retiring players, something has to be done. Therefore, you spend a year rebuilding/retooling.

A year of rebuilding would be fine, but I am seeing at least two rebuilding years. We have failed to prepare for a rebuilding year, by ignoring the positions that have been and will soon be vacated, due to retirement.

Our offensive line situation is a joke. Our corners are the oldest in the league. And there is no relief in sight, for either position. We have no serious prospects at either position.

When this seasons draft arrived, we had four positions that could have been deemed as immediate need positions. (Lumping the entire O-line into one single position.) We addressed two of them. The bad thing is that there were alot of opportunities to fill those positions in this years draft.

The same thing happened in the previous years draft. While Willie Roaf hadn't announced his retirement, to the press, he had told the Chiefs. It was a miracle that Winston Justice fell so far as to the Chiefs' selection. But then, he fell right past us.

Left tackle is an incredibly tough position to find a stand-out talent for. The Chiefs past on the opportunity, knowing that they were in need of a starting right tackle, and possibly a starting left tackle, too.

What that means is that over the next season, or two, we are going to have to address those positional needs. Then, once we have acquired the personell for those spots, we have to give them a season for rebuilding/retooling.

So, not only are we rebuilding this season, but we aren't even doing the whole job. We are doing a half-rebuild project. That bothers me.

Oh well, I got bored and thought that it would be good to write something. So, go ahead and bash me, I'm ready. Lol.
    Ummmmmmmmmm; ok.

Dude! Great post! Absolutely awesome. I try to be optimistic but these are a lot of concerns I have had churning in the back of my mind going into this season.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Are you just referring to the draft? There were a lot of positions that needed to be addressed. I think the Chiefs did address some of those positions like WR. I don't think drafting a kicker was absolutely necessary and that pick could have went elsewhere. But next year, we have several picks and cb's and o-line will most certainly be addressed.
    Last edited by Coach; 08-19-2007 at 01:14 AM.

way things are looking so far we might get a very early first round pick too.

In next years draft we need to take a new GM in the first round. Obviously the one we have just isn't working out.
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

Official thread killer I have heard.

Did you know...

That Since Herm Edwards became an NFL head coach, he has only selected one first day offensive lineman. In seven seasons, as a head coach, Herm has never taken an offensive lineman higher than the 79th, overall selection.

In that seven year stretch, only the draftless Dan Snyder Redskins have matched that kind of disregard for their offensive line. (Their highest O-line pick in that time-frame was number 81, overall. Two spots lower.) In the Redskins' defense, they had taken three first day O-linemen, in the previous two seasons.

Also, did you know....

That the offensive line makes up 23% of a teams starting positions. (Disregarding special-teams.) And 46% of the offensive starting positions.

When you make a decision to ignore 46% of your offense, you will be playing with 54% of an offense. If the rest of the NFL is playing with 100% of their offense, don't expect your 54% to make the grade.

Is it strictly coincidence that Eric Manginni immediately drafted two first-round offensive linemen who, helped to allow Chad Pennington to finally stay healthy for a full season? After years of injury in Edwards' O-lineless offense, Manginni knew what the problem was.

Is it entirely coincidence that Herm Edwards brings his disregard for offensive linemen to Kansas City and instantly gets Trent Green, a guy who hadn't missed a start in five straight seasons, seriously injured? Was there no way for Herm to have known that Willie Roaf was going to retire? Was he unaware of the fact that the Chiefs were already in need of a back-up to Roaf and a starting right tackle? Is it some strang, mystical power that is working against Herm, that continues to get his quarterbacks injured, or is it plain, simple logic?

That is pretty interesting. Explains a lot about the Jets, and makes me a little nervous about the Chiefs.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada's #1 Chiefs Fan View Post
    That is pretty interesting. Explains a lot about the Jets, and makes me a little nervous about the Chiefs.
    Just sharing my concerns, for those who may not have been here, the last time I expressed these concerns. That's what happens when I get bored.

Sweets Guest

Try playing Madden

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast