Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pollard to Texans

Default Pollard to Texans

Last edited by DT14PRIEST; 09-24-2009 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I can't help but think that our top defensive performer from...
    I already outlined the rest.

The defense as a whole was terrible (especially the run defense 28th and 30th overall in 07-08) Pollard had more then his fair share of chances to pad his tackle stat. He should of easily had a 100+ tackles if he was a consistent gamer.

I think its more telling to his general worth and the league's view on him as well (as well as the overall talent on this team) that Pollard fell through waiver wire and was on the market 3 games into the regular season before anyone made an offer to claim him.

I won't deny that he was a good ST player but to say he was a quality starter is a discrediting 31 other teams in the NFL who didn't pursue him.

There was a reason why he wasn't picked up after the 53 man cut and still wasn't picked up quickly after he fell through waivers.

And I think it has to do with his pass coverage skills, not his tackling.

Quote Originally Posted by DT14PRIEST View Post
    I already outlined the rest.

The defense as a whole was terrible (especially the run defense 28th and 30th overall in 07-08) Pollard had more then his fair share of chances to pad his tackle stat. He should of easily had a 100+ tackles if he was a consistent gamer.

I think its more telling to his general worth and the league's view on him as well (as well as the overall talent on this team) that Pollard fell through waiver wire and was on the market 3 games into the regular season before anyone made an offer to claim him.

I won't deny that he was a good ST player but to say he was a quality starter is a discrediting 31 other teams in the NFL who didn't pursue him.

There was a reason why he wasn't picked up after the 53 man cut and still wasn't picked up quickly after he fell through waivers.
    You are speculating Bout how many teams pursued him. Ther is no way to know that.

And teams go all out to save the 53 men that do make their final cut. It is not surprising at all that those teams would be reluctant to go ahead and cut one more, after they just congratulated him for making the squad.

You saw far more bad things from him han most did.

Same as everyone was so high on Bobby Wade last week.

Two missed tackles in the most recent game overshadows good tackling over the past two seasons.

But he was the top performer on this defense last season.

He did a pretty good job here, over the past two seasons, and The Texans will be glad that they have him.

Pollard's release is just too stupid for words when you're now relying on a guy in Brown who probably couldn't even tell you when he last played a full season and Jon McGraw as your SS. ugh

So if Mike Brown plays the whole season this year without injury will everyone shut up about that?

And frankly, McGraw has played really well this year- especially on special teams.

We're losing games in the trenches. Period. If we could generate pressure up front, or block it, we'd be doing a lot better.

jb

You are speculating...
    Maybe it is speculation at this point but when its outlined plainly (4-5 missed tackles in that pre season footage against the Seahawks in 2009 alone) its pretty obvious that people have fallen for the 1-2 big plays that Pollard was known for rather then the big picture.

Its also speculative for management of any team to say that they want to 'keep all 53 of the final cuts at any cost' when our own team in the Chiefs were willing to part ways with one of those 53 quickly when a player from another team (RT or what not that replaced Barry Richardson) hit the WW.

If Pollard was as highly regarded a player as many here seem to think he was wouldn't there have been an inkling of interest in him at the beginning of his free fall through waivers?

Wouldn't a team desperate for a safety such as the Lions (who has familiarity with Pollard's play in Gunther) have shown some interest in signing him if he was that good or as good as others are outlining him to be? Why were other players who were chopped and made it to waivers taken quickly while a gamer like Pollard left to fall through the cracks and ultimately sit idle waiting for someone to pick him up?

He wasn't picked up until ultimately another team had a player fall on the IR in Huston. I think that says a lot.

I give him credit for what he did (big plays)...but I don't disregard the amount of bad plays that was accredited to him when he started. I'd trade big plays for consistent play any day of the week and Pollard was anything but consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by josh1971 View Post
    So if Mike Brown plays the whole season this year without injury will everyone shut up about that?

And frankly, McGraw has played really well this year- especially on special teams.

We're losing games in the trenches. Period. If we could generate pressure up front, or block it, we'd be doing a lot better.

jb
    Finally, this is what I was talking about. Its not the LB's, QB's or DB's. Its both side of the lines.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

jb

Better yet. If Mike Brown stays healthy, and leads this team in tackles and assist.

Lets release him.

Quote Originally Posted by DT14PRIEST View Post
    Maybe it is speculation at this point but when its outlined plainly (4-5 missed tackles in that pre season footage against the Seahawks in 2009 alone) its pretty obvious that people have fallen for the 1-2 big plays that Pollard was known for rather then the big picture.

Its also speculative for management of any team to say that they want to 'keep all 53 of the final cuts at any cost' when our own team in the Chiefs were willing to part ways with one of those 53 quickly when a player from another team (RT or what not that replaced Barry Richardson) hit the WW.

If Pollard was as highly regarded a player as many here seem to think he was wouldn't there have been an inkling of interest in him at the beginning of his free fall through waivers?

Wouldn't a team desperate for a safety such as the Lions (who has familiarity with Pollard's play in Gunther) have shown some interest in signing him if he was that good or as good as others are outlining him to be? Why were other players who were chopped and made it to waivers taken quickly while a gamer like Pollard left to fall through the cracks and ultimately sit idle waiting for someone to pick him up?

He wasn't picked up until ultimately another team had a player fall on the IR in Huston. I think that says a lot.

I give him credit for what he did (big plays)...but I don't disregard the amount of bad plays that was accredited to him when he started. I'd trade big plays for consistent play any day of the week and Pollard was anything but consistent.
    Who says he was sitting idle, waiting for someone to pick him up?

He may well have rejected some teams before deciding to go to Houston.

Either way, one bad game is hardly a reasonable way to assess anyone. The Steelers are 1-2. Patriots were damn close to that. Alot of things look different with a small sample size to evaluate.

Pollard has been the most solid player on this defense the past two seasons. And could easily have been coached into further improvements.

But, as opposed to failing to coach, this would be a failure to attempt to coach.

And I have only seen the man make two good hits. I am certainly not letting those two plays overshadow anything.

jb
    Probably not. Not without this team showing a big turnaround from where they are right now.

Rather Brown manages to play a full season or not, it is unwise to take that risk, without an insurance policy.

Who says he was sitting idle, waiting for someone to pick him up?

Either way, one bad game is hardly a reasonable way to assess anyone...

Pollard has been the most solid player on this defense...

But, as opposed to failing to coach, this would be a failure to attempt to coach.

And I have only seen the man make two good hits. I am certainly not letting those two plays overshadow anything.
    Maybe he wasn't sitting idle but I only heard of the Texans working him out since he's hit the market and usually when teams workout a player (or a player of high regard in Pollard's case in some views) there is usually some form of news or report that he's working with a team.

Speculation again...

Pollard has been hit or miss for most of his career. He was a hit in ST but was a shaky game day performer for as long as I can remember when asked to be a full time starter. The Seattle game is merely a headline as to how it still hasn't changed since we've drafted him (06).

Pollard may have been the most solid player on our defense in your opinion but I'd beg to differ that Flowers has been a much more consistent. Pollard has been our hammer (our big hitter) I give him that but he's been anything but consistent. Once again I point to the run defense i.e. the front seven.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast