Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pollard to Texans

Default Pollard to Texans

Last edited by DT14PRIEST; 09-24-2009 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DT14PRIEST View Post
    Maybe he wasn't sitting idle but I only heard of the Texans working him out since he's hit the market and usually when teams workout a player (or a player of high regard in Pollard's case in some views) there is usually some form of news or report that he's working with a team.

Speculation again...

Pollard has been hit or miss for most of his career. He was a hit in ST but was a shaky game day performer for as long as I can remember when asked to be a full time starter. The Seattle game is merely a headline as to how it still hasn't changed since we've drafted him (06).

Pollard may have been the most solid player on our defense in your opinion but I'd beg to differ that Flowers has been a much more consistent. Pollard has been our hammer (our big hitter) I give him that but he's been anything but consistent. Once again I point to the run defense i.e. the front seven.
    Fair enough.

I think he would have done far better with a decent team and system around him, and that he did pretty well, in spite of those factors.

But anyone getting cut from a 2-14 team instantly carries the tag of a guy who has been cut by a 2-14 team. Not like alot of teams were lining up to go picking through our 'garbage'.

But The Texans may well have happened across a diamond bracelette in our 'garbage'.

Quote Originally Posted by josh1971 View Post
    So if Mike Brown plays the whole season this year without injury will everyone shut up about that?

And frankly, McGraw has played really well this year- especially on special teams.

We're losing games in the trenches. Period. If we could generate pressure up front, or block it, we'd be doing a lot better.

jb
    No, because Pollard is 24 while Brown is 31. 7 YEARS difference. Who do you think would've contributed to this team longer?

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I watched every game too. (Several, a week or two after the game was played.)

And, since he was released, the exaggeration of how Pollard was bad in coverage, and missed so many tackles has just gone wild.

It's as if many of you have just decided to attribute all of Page's mistakes to Pollard, so we can justify getting rid of the team's top defensive performer, yet again.

Over the past two seasons, Pollard accumulated 188 total tackles. (98 in '08 and 90 in '07)

We can speculate back and fourth all day. But Pollard was the one player on this defense who was getting anything done. That, aside from his value on ST, makes him too valuable to just release.

It seems obvious to most, that he was released for a personality conflict with Haley. (Imagine that. Someone doesn't like being treated like he is some 'ho' in Pimp Haley's stable.)

How many of you would like for your boss to scream and yell at you like that, and how many would likely haul off and shut his mouth for him? Can you tolerate being humiliated in front of all of your coworkers?

The problem with being a 'hard-nosed' coach, is that the coaching style is unwelcomed by certain types of personalities. And eliminating those personalities from the list of players who are willing to play for your team, on a team with a poor record and small market, eliminates your options, when looking for talented players.

However, it has worked before. So, while I may sound sarcastic about it, I am not saying that the style is doomed to failure.

I have been seeing Cowher's name thrown around in support of 'abusive' coaching styles. But Cowher was rarely in a player's face. He was often in a ref's face. But he was more of a player's coach than a bully.

Anyone remember him kissing Joey Porter? Constantly praising his players. Rarely humiliating them.

If anything, Cowher is 'tweener. He doesn't belong in a group with the likes of Ditka, Parcells and Bobby Knight.

Sorry, but my exaggeration of Pollard wasn't since his release. It was well stated while he was still a Chief.

As I said many times before, he is nothing more than a special teams player and back up. It was always a make or break year for him. I don't see where he made it other than rest of the teams performance eclisped his play.

There is a reason so many people wanted to convert him to a line backer. I wasn't a fan of that, but there is a reason.

Don't get me wrong. I would have prefered Pollard of John McGraw, Brown or Morgan, but as far as I see. Their times are short here.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234