Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pollard to Texans

Hybrid View

Default Pollard to Texans

Last edited by DT14PRIEST; 09-24-2009 at 11:09 AM.

good to see that he got picked up. surprised that it took that long.

He could probably help them with run defense if he's playing around the line of scrimmage a lot. They're ranked 32nd right now.

I am not surprised. If they kept stats on players who completely whiffed a tackle or let a tackle get broke after contact. Pollard would bet right there at the top. He is horrible in pass coverage.

He will definately help ther special teams unit though. Once he actually signs and it is not longer a rumor.

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

maybe they can teach him to wrap up more and less for going to the big hit.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    . If they kept stats on players who completely whiffed a tackle or let a tackle get broke after contact. Pollard would bet right there at the top.
    Hey Seek,if you kept stats you would know who led the team in tackles for the Chiefs last year d!psh!t.!!!!!!

I am so sick of these idiots disrespecting Bernard Pollard.

He gave us special teams play and (because he is a DB, as in DB as in someone who primarly covers TE and WR) those tackles you are talkin about are tackles the front 7 missed. Let me hear you b!tch about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sn@keIze View Post
    Hey Seek,if you kept stats you would know who led the team in tackles for the Chiefs last year d!psh!t.!!!!!!

I am so sick of these idiots disrespecting Bernard Pollard.

He gave us special teams play and (because he is a DB, as in DB as in someone who primarly covers TE and WR) those tackles you are talkin about are tackles the front 7 missed. Let me hear you b!tch about them.
    I am not talking about yards racked on on a pathetic defense. I won't argue the frong seven. I watched every game Pollard played. He missed a ton of tackles and made first contact on numberous MORE. Hard hits... but he failed to bring down the tackle numberous times.

Obviously idiots like me who get paid to evaluate Pollard saw the same thing or he would still be a Chief.

Sorry, Stats don't tell the whole truth. Pollard wasn't the worste safety by any stretch, but he was a huge liablility. If you don't like that. To bad. The truth is the truth.

To be honest, I don't know who is a bigger idiot.
    Last edited by Seek; 09-25-2009 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    I am not talking about yards racked on on a pathetic defense. I won't argue the frong seven. I watched every game Pollard played. He missed a ton of tackles and made first contact on numberous MORE. Hard hits... but he failed to bring down the tackle numberous times.

Obviously idiots like me who get paid to evaluate Pollard saw the same thing or he would still be a Chief.

Sorry, Stats don't tell the whole truth. Pollard wasn't the worste safety by any stretch, but he was a huge liablility. If you don't like that. To bad. The truth is the truth.

To be honest, I don't know who is a bigger idiot.
    I watched every game too. (Several, a week or two after the game was played.)

And, since he was released, the exaggeration of how Pollard was bad in coverage, and missed so many tackles has just gone wild.

It's as if many of you have just decided to attribute all of Page's mistakes to Pollard, so we can justify getting rid of the team's top defensive performer, yet again.

Over the past two seasons, Pollard accumulated 188 total tackles. (98 in '08 and 90 in '07)

We can speculate back and fourth all day. But Pollard was the one player on this defense who was getting anything done. That, aside from his value on ST, makes him too valuable to just release.

It seems obvious to most, that he was released for a personality conflict with Haley. (Imagine that. Someone doesn't like being treated like he is some 'ho' in Pimp Haley's stable.)

How many of you would like for your boss to scream and yell at you like that, and how many would likely haul off and shut his mouth for him? Can you tolerate being humiliated in front of all of your coworkers?

The problem with being a 'hard-nosed' coach, is that the coaching style is unwelcomed by certain types of personalities. And eliminating those personalities from the list of players who are willing to play for your team, on a team with a poor record and small market, eliminates your options, when looking for talented players.

However, it has worked before. So, while I may sound sarcastic about it, I am not saying that the style is doomed to failure.

I have been seeing Cowher's name thrown around in support of 'abusive' coaching styles. But Cowher was rarely in a player's face. He was often in a ref's face. But he was more of a player's coach than a bully.

Anyone remember him kissing Joey Porter? Constantly praising his players. Rarely humiliating them.

If anything, Cowher is 'tweener. He doesn't belong in a group with the likes of Ditka, Parcells and Bobby Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post

And, since he was released, the exaggeration of how Pollard...
    Pollard was average (at best and even that is pushing it) in coverage and a poor tackler and thats the bottom line.

He was a very good hitter but a sure handed tackler he was not.

Considering he was apart of two sub .500 seasons with teams whose rushing defense were 28th and 30th respectively in 07 and 08, if a secondary player such as Pollard was not the leading tackler for the chiefs at the time considering the putrid state of our defense (everyone remembers michael turner dragging Pat Thomas last year) I'd have been surprised. I think its safe to say that Pollard was given more then his fair share of chances to pad his tackle stat.

Just going by this year alone it was readily apparent that he still hasn't learned how to tackle:

NFL Videos: Seahawks 14, Chiefs 10

watch between 1:44 - 3:58 Pollard whiffs haven't been fixed. this is 2009. he's had 3 years now in the NFL and still hasn't learned how to properly tackle.

Even Herm Edwards said that he was basically an in the box safety. A knock out hitter but not a good tackler and a guy that was never very good in coverage either.

Former Kansas City Chiefs Coach on Bernard*Pollard - Arrowhead Pride

And this is Herm Edwards, the guy we all dislike to some degree but all seem to agree was a pretty decent DB guy/coach

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post

And, since he was released, the exaggeration of how Pollard was bad in coverage, and missed so many tackles has just gone wild.

It's as if many of you have just decided to attribute all of Page's mistakes to Pollard, so we can justify getting rid of the team's top defensive performer, yet again.

Over the past two seasons, Pollard accumulated 188 total tackles. (98 in '08 and 90 in '07)

We can speculate back and fourth all day. But Pollard was the one player on this defense who was getting anything done. That, aside from his value on ST, makes him too valuable to just release.

It seems obvious to most, that he was released for a personality conflict with Haley. (Imagine that. Someone doesn't like being treated like he is some 'ho' in Pimp Haley's stable.)

How many of you would like for your boss to scream and yell at you like that, and how many would likely haul off and shut his mouth for him? Can you tolerate being humiliated in front of all of your coworkers?

The problem with being a 'hard-nosed' coach, is that the coaching style is unwelcomed by certain types of personalities. And eliminating those personalities from the list of players who are willing to play for your team, on a team with a poor record and small market, eliminates your options, when looking for talented players.

However, it has worked before. So, while I may sound sarcastic about it, I am not saying that the style is doomed to failure.

I have been seeing Cowher's name thrown around in support of 'abusive' coaching styles. But Cowher was rarely in a player's face. He was often in a ref's face. But he was more of a player's coach than a bully.

Anyone remember him kissing Joey Porter? Constantly praising his players. Rarely humiliating them.

If anything, Cowher is 'tweener. He doesn't belong in a group with the likes of Ditka, Parcells and Bobby Knight.

Sorry, but my exaggeration of Pollard wasn't since his release. It was well stated while he was still a Chief.

As I said many times before, he is nothing more than a special teams player and back up. It was always a make or break year for him. I don't see where he made it other than rest of the teams performance eclisped his play.

There is a reason so many people wanted to convert him to a line backer. I wasn't a fan of that, but there is a reason.

Don't get me wrong. I would have prefered Pollard of John McGraw, Brown or Morgan, but as far as I see. Their times are short here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast