Thread: KC Star : Haley juggling many responsibilities in first year as Chiefs coach

Default KC Star : Haley juggling many responsibilities in first year as Chiefs coach

Todd Haley slouches in a rolling chair and talks about more restful days. He wasn’t a head coach then, and road trips cleared time for the ambitious young assistant. The previous days had been packed with film study, grueling meetings and run-ins with players. But when the plane landed and the team checked into its hotel, Haley could steal a two-hour nap. Two hours of quiet. He smiles now when he talks about it, and Haley rubs his stubbled face when he realizes that he chose a life that no longer allows for such luxuries.

More...

Bah, tell us something we did not know.

Then of course we have this gem:

To think that the Todd Haley-Matt Cassel marriage has come to this publicly after one game of their partnership is mind boggling. Cassel, who just signed a fat, new contract after he was acquired to be the face of the franchise, has been reduced to defending his spot as the starting quarterback in Kansas City and talking about his relationship with his coach.

All because of one comment. This is silly. We all know Cassel is the quarterback of the Chiefs and Haley wants him to be the starter, so what’s the big deal?

Haley didn’t so himself any favors Tuesday when asked about Cassel’s standing as the team’s starter: You've got to ultimately do what you think gives your team the best chance to win. "If that means another quarterback being in there other than Matt Cassel, then sign me up."

That, naturally, created a stir in Kansas City, even though it was clear Haley has no real intention of benching Cassel, who will be paid $40.5 million in the first three years of his contract.

Thursday, Haley tried to bury the story by saying: "I would be clear that there's no doubt in my mind that Matt Cassel right now gives us the best chance to win. But also, I will stay with what I say. If that ever changes, I'll stand by what I believe in -- put the guys out there that give you the best chance."

Haley’s problem is he is almost too honest. Now every time Cassel struggles (and it may happen a lot in his first couple of seasons in Kansas City), Haley is going to be reminded of his words.

It’s already caused chaos. Cassel had to address the issue Thursday. Instead of talking about playing Philadelphia on Sunday, Cassel had to defend himself.

"I think they're going to play the best person out there," Cassel said. "Obviously, I think they feel I'm the best guy for the job. Otherwise, going into the season I wouldn't have been offered what I was offered."

Asked if he thought Haley is in his corner, Cassel said: "I hope he's in my corner. I mean, I'm in his corner. It's one of those things where I don't know what was said. I don't read the paper. I don't get involved. But he's been consistent throughout the entire offseason, throughout the entire year. I'm ready for the competition if that's the way he wants to make it. But right now, I do feel coach is in my corner. He's been very supportive of me throughout my time here and we're just trying to get better and move forward."

Haley said in August how much he liked Cassel and how he thinks Cassel can be a special quarterback because of his work ethic. What Haley said Tuesday really wasn’t a big deal. But he allowed an out. And all that did was create questions.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!