Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Todd Haley's Play Calling---

Default Todd Haley's Play Calling---

PATHETIC!?

Running it constantly on 3rd and long? Losing the whole game and taking ZERO shots deep?

He deactivated Charles last week for no reason at all and boy did Jamaal make him (Haley) look stupid today even with his limited touches.

I think it's pretty obvious after 3 games that Haley has bit off way more than he can chew in naming himself Head Coach/Off. Coordinator/QB's/"Offensive Wizard"...yank yank.

Discuss...

He was in the shotgun a few times but still had no protection and no place to throw. It was sad, very sad. I for one had high hopes for this season, but after this game. well, I really don't expect much at all, infact they may not even show anymore games in my area. Hell they cut this one off in the third.

The Eagles brought pressure the entire game, they didn't let up.
    The defensive play calling was just as bad as the offensive play calling. The entire 2nd half was played in some sort of 'damage control' mode.
    We would only rush 4... and a lot of the time we were only rushing 3 with the rest of the defense in the soft zone.
    Kolb could take a 3 step drop and stand there for 3-5 seconds before deciding where to throw it.
    He is a young/inexperienced QB, we should have been bringing heat all day long.. force him to make bad decisions and mistakes.

I have to admit, I don't know a lot about Clancy Pendergast. Is he even a good D-Coordinator?

jb

A QB that holds the ball too long will make a poor OL look even worse. Cassel took way too long making his decisions. That was one of his knocks last season behind an OL that kept Tom Brady healthy for so long... but suddenly, that same OL gave up the 5th most sacks last season. This year, 4 of the 5 guys from that line have returned with the exception of their RG. Maybe it was that change at RG that has helped them give up only 1 sack in three games... more likely though, it's a decisive QB.

So while the OL does deserve a lot of criticism, Cassel doesn't get away scott free.

Quote Originally Posted by josh1971 View Post
    I have to admit, I don't know a lot about Clancy Pendergast. Is he even a good D-Coordinator?

jb
    He sure is... he led the Cardinals to a 26th ranked defense last season!! The Cardinals were just nice enough to release him so we could snag him up to help us out a little bit.

Thanks Cards.

Quote Originally Posted by honda522 View Post
    I didn't get to catch much, but I thought i was pathetic. How the hell can the OL be that bad?
    Well, all five of them seem to be struggling to do anything, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    A QB that holds the ball too long will make a poor OL look even worse. Cassel took way too long making his decisions. That was one of his knocks last season behind an OL that kept Tom Brady healthy for so long... but suddenly, that same OL gave up the 5th most sacks last season. This year, 4 of the 5 guys from that line have returned with the exception of their RG. Maybe it was that change at RG that has helped them give up only 1 sack in three games... more likely though, it's a decisive QB.

So while the OL does deserve a lot of criticism, Cassel doesn't get away scott free.
    But this is dead-on.

While the type of pressure that we allow is too much for any QB to take, Cassel is not a quick-acting QB...yet.

He will need to develop that skill to be effective here, unless that O-line changes alot, soon.

We are missing one pair of OTs. Albert can move inside, and Goff is suposed to be able to play C. (easier position) So, if we had a pair of OTs, I think we would be in good shape.

I just don't understand why they didn't protect their investment(s). You have a CRAPLOAD of money and chose to sit on it instead of improving? You chose to draft TWO DE's with your first two picks? I could understand one, but why the hell did they draft Magee instead of an OL?

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Cassel is not a quick-acting QB...yet.

He will need to develop that skill to be effective here,
    A lot of that development usually takes place in college... oh that's right, he didn't really "play" in college.

I guess we're watching his college developmental years happening right now. Here are his college stats. During his four seasons, Cassel completed 19 of 33 passes for 192 yards, with no touchdowns and one interception.

I'm not a Cassel hater, I just think that this might have been a knee jerk reaction to sign this guy to that kind of contract..... sheesh...

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    I just don't understand why they didn't protect their investment(s). You have a CRAPLOAD of money and chose to sit on it instead of improving? You chose to draft TWO DE's with your first two picks? I could understand one, but why the hell did they draft Magee instead of an OL?
    Yep. I don't understand a lot of things after this performance today...
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Stumplifter View Post
    A lot of that development usually takes place in college... oh that's right, he didn't really "play" in college.

I guess we're watching his college developmental years happening right now. Here are his college stats. During his four seasons, Cassel completed 19 of 33 passes for 192 yards, with no touchdowns and one interception.

I'm not a Cassel hater, I just think that this might have been a knee jerk reaction to sign this guy to that kind of contract..... sheesh...
    Well, when the announcement that we had made a deal for Cassel came through on this board, I think I was the loudest speaker against it. (Rather unpopular then, But my opinions usually are unpopular around here.)

And it wasn't because I thought/think Cassel was/is a bad QB. Just that we weren't going to be able to provide the same kind of support that he had in NE. Therefore, he wouldn't be able to do the same things.

Then, when discussing offering him a big extension, I hated the idea of paying top dollar for a player who almost certainly wouldn't be able to produce, and match his current value, the same as he had to make him seem like such a commodity.

To some degree, I agree with the concept of this being his "college development years". I feel like Cassel is, in effect, a rookie.

Last season is really the only experience he has. And that was in a damn good offense.

Now, he is in a pretty bad offense. He needs to learn how to play with that. Most QBs fail at learning to play in a bad offense and the offense just stays bad.

Year after year, we have the same problem on this offense. Poor blocking. (Same applies to our return team.) But it gets overlooked for the QB, HB and WRs.(Who can't play with bad blocking.)

Perhaps this will be the year when we actually recognize it, and address it in the offseason.

While I like that we actually selected an o-lineman in Brandon Albert, he was on OG, and we drafted him for another position.

We need to actually draft some OTs.

And releasing MacIntosh was a bad idea. He certainly wasn't great. But we could not afford to cut him. We didn't have the position filled properly.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast