Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Lack of a pass rush...

  1. #1
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,123
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 26

    Default Lack of a pass rush...


    0 Not allowed!
    Year in and year out. We all know it.

    Even in the days of the incomparable DT, we have a problem getting pressur on QBs, unless we have a player tha can flat-out beat blockers.

    I have seen our defense when they were blitzing from every position on the defense, and they never seem to surprise the blockers, do they?

    If it isn't Jared Allen, Derrick Thomas, or Neil Smith just plain beating a block, then we just won't get any pressure.

    I see other teams sneak a blitzer undetected. Why not us?

    Is it because we just always have players that don't know how to do it?

    Always?

    Is it because we always have coaches that don't know how and when to get it to work?

    Always?

    I have another concept. And many of you are gonna think that it is a joke.

    In any situation, when one wants to get someone's attention... Be it someone driving, or making someone aware of danger, there is one color that is used as an attention getter.

    RED!!!!!

    We are warning blocker and ball-carriers alike, that trouble is coming.

    No stealthy black, or camoflged greens here. We want you to see us and know where we are at all times.

    Now, I'm dead serious about this. No color catches the eye like a nice bright red.

    And I have watched countless sneaky blitzes look as if they had been preannounced, with so few slipping by unnoticed.

    Now, if we were to select a second-best warning color, wouldn't that color be yellow? Say, like a penalty flag?

    We may as well be screaming at the top of out lungs that we are blitzing from 'positions A & B'. Because our uniforms are doing that already.

    Some of you will remember a homemade 'alternate' uniform that one, Darthcarlsatan, shared with us, awhile back.

    Not that that guy has any common sense whatsoever. I won't bother commenting to that subject.

    But the colors were darker, and had less of "LOUD" feel to them.

    I think that Chiefscrowd.com needs to begin some form of a design of our own for the team, with the stealth factor in mind. And start some form of a petition to the team to get our players out of the league's loudest uniforms, and into something that is "quieter".

    So...what do we think? Have I crossed over into insanity? Or is there possibly some morsel of merit to what I am thinking here?


  2. #2
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,123
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 26

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    One more observation...

    What teams are generally known as the toughest defenses?

    Steelers.... Black, with a milder yellow.

    Bears... Pretty dark shade of blue, that, in some cases, actually appears black.

    Ravens... A very dark purple.

    I think I am onto something. (Not 'on something', but onto something.)

  3. #3
    Member Since
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Kansas City! HOME OF THE CHIIIEEEFS!
    Posts
    3,943
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 30

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    As much as I totally HATE the thought of the Chiefs not being a TRUE RED...you are 100% correct.

    It was proven decades ago, that the safest vehicle colors on the roads were #1 Orange, #2 RED...obviously because people see them better, they stand out & naturally draw the human eye. Vehicle colors the most unsafe were gray & white, because they blended into the environment more. With road construction...the warning flags/signs, cones...orange or red...for a reason...they are seen. Red lights on emergency vehicles, etc..

    In Interior Design we know that red is a color that will draw the eye to a point of interest, more than most others. Red get's attention, no matter the how or where it's used.

    Still, I would likely cry for days if the Chiefs were no longer the historic beautiful red they've been since 1963. I'm partial, not only to the Chiefs, but red is my favorite color anyway, so...I think the Chiefs team colors are the most attractive in all of the NFL.

    I'm so sick of blue...there are so many teams with blue! The Chiefs RED always stood out as unique to the Chiefs...no other team has RED. 49er's & Redskins are a maroon red.

    "Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

    "The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

  4. #4
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    548
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    The Vikings have a pretty loud purple with a good defense...

    The Giants have a good defense they generally wear blue but they do have those red uniforms...and white is their away color.

    I do think this is a bit crazy though...

    We were still wearing red and white when we were founded and won the SB...

    DT and crew wore red and white along with the rest of our stout defensive unit from the 90s...

  5. #5
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Miles City, Montana
    Posts
    1,576
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 115

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I don't care what color we are, well i hope we keep our red, but we need to get somebody to the QB!!!

  6. #6
    Member Since
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Kansas City! HOME OF THE CHIIIEEEFS!
    Posts
    3,943
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 30

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Heck...the Jets, Eagles, even Dolphins with their teal...likely would be the best colors in your theory...considering the field of play is green, and most every shade of green will vanish to some extent on the field.

    There are advantages to the red catching the eye...passing game! QB's can have a tough time seeing over & around opponents D-lines...a QB's eye will quickly spot the RED on the field.

    "Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

    "The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

  7. #7
    Member Since
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Kansas City! HOME OF THE CHIIIEEEFS!
    Posts
    3,943
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 30

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DT14PRIEST View Post
    The Vikings have a pretty loud purple with a good defense...

    The Giants have a good defense they generally wear blue but they do have those red uniforms...and white is their away color.

    I do think this is a bit crazy though...

    We were still wearing red and white when we were founded and won the SB...

    DT and crew wore red and white along with the rest of our stout defensive unit from the 90s...
    I just had that thought myself...our historic defense of the 90's...RED!! YAY!! Proof the RED isn't as much a factor as I was beginning to ponder after reading the theory, hahaha.

    "Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

    "The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

  8. #8
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,123
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 26

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    As much as I totally HATE the thought of the Chiefs not being a TRUE RED...you are 100% correct.

    It was proven decades ago, that the safest vehicle colors on the roads were #1 Orange, #2 RED...obviously because people see them better, they stand out & naturally draw the human eye. Vehicle colors the most unsafe were gray & white, because they blended into the environment more. With road construction...the warning flags/signs, cones...orange or red...for a reason...they are seen. Red lights on emergency vehicles, etc..

    In Interior Design we know that red is a color that will draw the eye to a point of interest, more than most others. Red get's attention, no matter the how or where it's used.

    Still, I would likely cry for days if the Chiefs were no longer the historic beautiful red they've been since 1963. I'm partial, not only to the Chiefs, but red is my favorite color anyway, so...I think the Chiefs team colors are the most attractive in all of the NFL.

    I'm so sick of blue...there are so many teams with blue! The Chiefs RED always stood out as unique to the Chiefs...no other team has RED. 49er's & Redskins are a maroon red.
    How many Super Bowl wins for those wo teams? Lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by DT14PRIEST View Post
    The Vikings have a pretty loud purple with a good defense...

    The Giants have a good defense they generally wear blue but they do have those red uniforms...and white is their away color.

    I do think this is a bit crazy though...

    We were still wearing red and white when we were founded and won the SB...

    DT and crew wore red and white along with the rest of our stout defensive unit from the 90s...
    Ok. I hear ya. But...

    The Vikings aren't in a loud purple. It's kind of a deep, or darker, purple.

    The Giants' blue isn't a realy bright color either. And they get pressure from beating blocks most of the time, anyway.

    And while I am certainly not saying that you can't get a good defense while wearing scrweaming loud red... I am just saying that we are showing our blitzes more than any other team.

    So when we won the Super Bowl, it isn't about rather or not we are capable of winning, or playing good defense, but rather we are losing the tool of stealth for blitzing.

    And Derrick Thomas and neil Smith got pressure by flat-out beating blocks. Most teams get pressure through blitzing, using the element of surprise. There is no surprise is bright red. It can't hide.

    Come to think of it, the stealth factor can be a factor in other aspects of the game...

    Let's say you are an opposing QB... You drop back, and eye-ball the FS playing deep....

    With your perripheral vision, you can easily see where all the red jerseys are at. But might not see all of the darker colored ones.

    Fortunately, you already know where all of your colored jerseys are at, as you just spoke to them about where they were gonna be.

    Now, let's say that you are The Chiefs' QB. Again, you drop back, eye the FS playing deep....

    You can't see the darker jerseys all that well, because your peripherals are picking up that bright red, over everything.

    I honestly think that our uniforms are giving opponents some slight advantages on us.

  9. #9
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    548
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Jared Allen made the red work for him...

    I get the theory and maybe it does mask the deficiency of some of the 'less the star caliber' players abilities to make some plays but as a whole I still think it has to do with personnel...

    One very good pass rusher makes the other average pass rusher look good and a defense overall look great.

    I.e JA made Tamba look good which in turn made the pass defense as a whole of the Chiefs look better when he was here.

  10. #10
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,123
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 26

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DT14PRIEST View Post
    Jared Allen made the red work for him...

    I get the theory and maybe it does mask the deficiency of some of the 'less the star caliber' players abilities to make some plays but as a whole I still think it has to do with personnel...

    One very good pass rusher makes the other average pass rusher look good and a defense overall look great.

    I.e JA made Tamba look good which in turn made the pass defense as a whole of the Chiefs look better when he was here.
    Jared beat blocks. That is not the subject. Tamba was fortunate enough to get the scraps from jared ALlen beating blocks, and chasing QBs his way.

    It doesn't matter how much skill you have. If you are wearing bright red, I can see you more clearly. Hell, I can even be looking the other way. Don't wear bright red, if you want to sneak up on me.

    At work, me and some guys would occaisionally play "he tail game". This is where you try to hang something from one anothers pants, or tool belt, ot anything that you get it to attatch to, to make the item resemble a tail.

    Every last one of us, probably around twenty or so, over the years, knew that you do not wear red, because you wanted to be able to sneak up on folks for the game. And red makes it harder to do so.

    You also tried to avoid bright yellows and solid white.

    But those are just our other two colors....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pass to score, run to win.
    By honda522 in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-18-2009, 07:55 PM
  2. Draft Lacks Pass Rush
    By Codac in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-30-2009, 02:37 PM
  3. ....Man I thought we were pass this....
    By jerhart in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-23-2008, 04:26 PM
  4. Minneapolis Bridge Collapses During Rush Hour
    By Chiefster in forum The Locker Room
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 09:54 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •