We talk too much about what we should or shouldn't have done in the past. That doesn't help us now. Here's two moves that I think can make us a better football team immediately.
1. The offensive line needs to be completely blown up. Now.
For whatever reason, Pioli didn't land us a single impact offensive lineman in free agency. No point in harping on it at this point. Let's talk about what he can do now.
I'm pretty convinced that Brandon Albert is not an NFL left tackle. There's a reason that throughout 2008 draft preparation the experts were saying that he could be a pro bowl Guard, and can also play tackle. So let's just move him to Shields old spot and let him go to pro bowls, instead of be a liability at the most important position in football.
Start Alleman over Niswanger at C. Why not? Niswanger hasn't done anything positive.
Sign Jon Runyan and start him at RT within 2 weeks.
Sign Langston Walker to play LT. Hell, the Bills suck but they obviously saw something in him that made them think he'd be a pretty good starter at LT since they traded theirs to the Eagles.
Walker / Waters / Alleman / Albert / Runyan
Alternately, I wouldn't kill myself if we didn't sign Walker and went this route:
Albert / Waters / Alleman / Ndukwe / Runyan
Boom, new offensive line. Can't be any worse than our current one. Do it.
2. Jamaal Charles should be starting over LJ.
I don't care what anyone says. Charles has been a better running back than LJ from the moment he was drafted.
- He had 5.3 yards per carry last season to LJ's 4.5.
- He has 4.4 yards per carry this year to LJ's 2.5.
- He's a better pass blocker than LJ.
- He's a better pass catcher than LJ.
- He's faster and is a threat to break free.
- He's younger and will actually be on this team 2 years from now, unlike LJ who will definitely be cut at some point because of his contract versus his production.
Everyone says he has this major fumbling problem. Guess what? LJ had a fumble for every 20 attempts last season. Charles had 1 for every 35.
The other thing I hear is that he's a change of pace back and not a starter. Guess what? In his only significant action last season he had 18 carries for 106 yards (5.9 YPC).
Charles should be our Chris Johnson and LJ should be our LenDale White. Do it.