Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 75

Thread: Priest is frustrated

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    3,715
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default Priest is frustrated


    0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the Crowd, Priest! We are all frustrated.


    KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Frustrated and helmetless, Priest Holmes had to stand around and watch Sunday while the Kansas City Chiefs went through another practice without him.

    Holmes:


    The former Pro Bowl running back had hoped to get medical clearance and be removed from the physically unable-to-perform list and take part in his first actual practice on Sunday.
    But with general manager Carl Peterson out of town -- reportedly attending to negotiations with holdout running back Larry Johnson, Holmes' status remained the same.
    "It's not a setback. We just have to wait until Carl gets back in town," said Holmes. "I'm not sure when he'll be back."
    The former Pro Bowl running back has remained on the list since he unexpectedly decided to come to training camp last month in River Falls, Wis., and attempt an improbable comeback at the age of 33. He hasn't played or practiced since sustaining severe head and neck trauma in October 2005 during a game at San Diego.
    Coach Herm Edwards said he wanted to make sure not to hurry Holmes.
    "He's not ready. We had a long talk," Edwards said. "The doctor said it's OK for him to participate. But in his mind, and in our mind, we felt where he's at right now he's not 100 percent with his legs underneath him. He's laid off for a long time. I told him today, 'I'm not going to rush you. I'm definitely not going to rush you.'"
    Holmes, the Chiefs' career rushing leader, scored 27 touchdowns in 2003 for what was then an NFL record, and he is the Chiefs' career rushing leader.
    After being examined by team physician Dr. Jon Brown, Holmes was on the field but without his helmet, which players on the list may not wear. While teammates went through a tough, physical practice, Holmes jogged, stood around and ran phantom passing routes away from everyone else.
    "Dr. Brown wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page. Instead of me coming out and possibly violating my PUP by putting my helmet on," Holmes said. "That's the only reason why you see me out here with shoulder pads and no helmet. I can mirror just about everything that they're doing. But I can't put on the helmet while I'm still on the actual PUP list."
    The Chiefs have to be careful not to take him off the list too early. If he's activated but then cannot play, they would either have to cut him or place him on injured reserve, putting him out for the season. A possibility is they would keep him on the list into the regular season and then make a decision no later than the ninth week.
    "We don't want to be put in a situation where all of a sudden you take him off PUP and you start practicing and you say two days from now, 'I'm really not ready yet,'" Edwards said. "Well, that's OK for you but it's not OK for the football team."
    Without Johnson or Holmes, the Chiefs' running game has been feeble in two preseason losses. They netted only 61 yards in an 11-10 loss to Miami last week even though Dolphins defensive starters Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas and Keith Traylor did not suit up.
    Edwards was caught in a somewhat embarrassing situation when he said Holmes was in the stadium during the Dolphins game only to discover later that he had flown home to San Antonio and not attended.
    "He's come to work every day, never been late," Edwards said. "He went home for the preseason game Thursday. I talked to him during the day. I didn't anticipate him going home. I thought he was going to the game. He went home to see his family. I told him the next day, 'All you have to do is tell me so I know where you're at.'
    "Priest Holmes has not been a distraction. He's been a guy that's trying to come back from an injury. For him to do what he's trying to do, I applaud the guy. Now we've got to see if it's going to work out. But he has to make this team. He doesn't make this team because he's Priest Holmes."
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

    Official thread killer I have heard.

  2. #21
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Maple Grove, MN
    Posts
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I would like to see Holmes playing right now too. He is one of my most favorite players (next to DT). I wish Carl would make a decision since the doctors have cleared him. Holmes still has a couple of good years in him.

    I don't think it was a big deal that Holmes went home to Texas - however, he should be a leader on the team which means he should have stayed at the game. Even if he can't play, he can contribute a lot being on the sidelines. He can give advice to the backup running backs or discuss things with the offensive line. Pre-season is meant for players to work out the kinks and see what works and and doesn't work. He should have been there to be part of this as he will be playing sometime this year. He will only be behind the 8-ball by not participating.
    www.AAASportsMemorabilia.com
    Home of Great Sports Memorabilia

  3. #22
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    28,076
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 249
    Given: 440

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by peekaboo224 View Post
    I would like to see Holmes playing right now too. He is one of my most favorite players (next to DT). I wish Carl would make a decision since the doctors have cleared him. Holmes still has a couple of good years in him.

    I don't think it was a big deal that Holmes went home to Texas - however, he should be a leader on the team which means he should have stayed at the game. Even if he can't play, he can contribute a lot being on the sidelines. He can give advice to the backup running backs or discuss things with the offensive line. Pre-season is meant for players to work out the kinks and see what works and and doesn't work. He should have been there to be part of this as he will be playing sometime this year. He will only be behind the 8-ball by not participating.
    I honestly don't know why anyone would care; I mean the guy has been away for two years, so why do we all of the sudden make a big deal out of the fact that he missed a preseason game. But, that's just my opinion.


  4. #23
    Member Since
    Jun 2006
    Location
    betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.
    Posts
    1,258
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    holmes came back so he can be on hard knocks.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

  5. #24
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Location
    sw missouri
    Posts
    363
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack View Post
    holmes came back so he can be on hard knocks.
    funny,and probably not far from the truth.

  6. #25
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    28,076
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 249
    Given: 440

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack View Post
    holmes came back so he can be on hard knocks.
    ...Very well could be.


  7. #26
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,127
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 26

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Sure seems odd that the guy who has worked so hard to avoid the limelight, for the past year and a half, suddenly decided that he needed to be the center of attention again. While the Chiefs may let him go, I think he is serious about his attempt at a comeback.

  8. #27
    Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    1,852
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    ...And, what; sit up in the VIP section eating nachos? The guy went home to see his family; big deal. It was a preseason game; one that he could not even participate in. I personally don't see what the big deal is, but that's just me. I do think he should have let Herm know though. Distraction; please tell me how that works? I think he was less of a distraction by not being there. Heck the only reason we knew he was in Texas with his family is because the local media made this big deal out of it.
    He spent the last 2 years with his family remember? If he is as serious as he says he is about playing football and wanting to contribute to the team, how about starting by being with your team that by the way....all want to be with their families as well!!!! Kinda weird when the coach says" he's somewhere in the building".

    I just think he owes it to the team and the players to be in it as much as the rest of the team has to be. After all, he has been paid for the last 2 years to not call or talk to anyone in the organization!!

    Don't get me wrong here, I think Priest is one of the good guys in the game but when you talk the game he has been talkin for the last 2 months, I think you need to lead by example.

  9. #28
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Location
    sw missouri
    Posts
    363
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I do think if your on the team you should be on the sidelines

  10. #29
    Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    2,049
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    ...And, what; sit up in the VIP section eating nachos? The guy went home to see his family; big deal. It was a preseason game; one that he could not even participate in. I personally don't see what the big deal is, but that's just me. I do think he should have let Herm know though. Distraction; please tell me how that works? I think he was less of a distraction by not being there. Heck the only reason we knew he was in Texas with his family is because the local media made this big deal out of it.
    He says he wants to be a leader. "You guys have fun. I'm not playing, so I won't be there." Boomer hasn't played, but he's been there.

  11. #30
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    28,076
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 249
    Given: 440

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHillbilly View Post
    He spent the last 2 years with his family remember? If he is as serious as he says he is about playing football and wanting to contribute to the team, how about starting by being with your team that by the way....all want to be with their families as well!!!! Kinda weird when the coach says" he's somewhere in the building".

    I just think he owes it to the team and the players to be in it as much as the rest of the team has to be. After all, he has been paid for the last 2 years to not call or talk to anyone in the organization!!

    Don't get me wrong here, I think Priest is one of the good guys in the game but when you talk the game he has been talkin for the last 2 months, I think you need to lead by example.
    The only reason he's been talkin is because the media has been there to hang on every word; like I said the only reason we knew he was missing in the first place is because the media has made such a big deal out of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by luv View Post
    He says he wants to be a leader. "You guys have fun. I'm not playing, so I won't be there." Boomer hasn't played, but he's been there.
    Fair enough, I just think it is still much ado about nothin; people act like Priest Holmes is the only player in the NFL who's still on the PUP list to ever miss a preseason, or a regular season game for that matter. JMHO


Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •