Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 96

Thread: Huardís injury tilts Chiefs QB contest further toward Croyle

  1. #1
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,091
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 0

    Post Huardís injury tilts Chiefs QB contest further toward Croyle


    0 Not allowed!
    Huardís injury tilts Chiefs QB contest further toward Croyle

    By ADAM TEICHER

    The Kansas City Star



    Chiefs quarterback Damon Huard is hobbled by a leg injury and finds himself looking at a backup role.



    The Chiefsí quarterback competition appeared to be tipping toward Brodie Croyle anyway, but Damon Huardís sore leg could end all of the suspense.


    Huard didnít practice Monday. He stood close by with an ice pack on his chronically sore right calf. He noticeably favored the leg when he walked.


    Huard has been bothered by the sore calf during training camp, but this was the first time he missed a practice because of it. There was no indication the injury would keep him out long term, but the Chiefs were unsure whether he would practice today or play in Thursday nightís preseason game against New Orleans at Arrowhead Stadium.


    ďI donít know that,Ē coach Herm Edwards said. ďIíve got to check with the trainer to see what he says. Weíve got another couple of days to see where he is.Ē
    Edwards said over the weekend that Croyle would start against the Saints and play the entire first half and perhaps into the third quarter.


    Asked what Huardís absence on Thursday night might do to the quarterback battle, Edwards said: ďThen you have to make the decision based on the information you have on hand. Weíll go back over the preseason games and the practices and everything else. Thatís how weíll make our decision. This (wouldnít) kill (Huardís) chances.Ē


    Huard declined to comment.


    Ever since last seasonís end, Edwards appeared to be leaning toward making Croyle the starter. Edwards talked in the immediate hours after the playoff loss to Indianapolis about the need to get Croyle ready to play this season.


    Since then, the Chiefs re-signed Huard, who would have been a free agent, and traded Trent Green to Miami, but Croyle was always a central figure in their plans. Before the trade, Green was hesitant to return to the Chiefs because he feared the quarterback competition would be tilted in Croyleís favor.


    Croyle and Huard split the work almost equally until Monday. Nothing the Chiefs have seen from Croyle, not even the two seemingly preventable interceptions in the two preseason games, has soured them.


    Edwards has been noncommittal publicly since the start of training camp about the quarterback battle. But he has said he wants to settle on a quarterback for the foreseeable future and not just this season, something more easily done by going with the 24-year-old Croyle instead of the 34-year-old Huard.


    Itís also obvious from the training camp practices that the Chiefs have more offensive capability with Croyle, who has superior passing skills. The Chiefs might have to live with a few more turnovers if Croyle is their quarterback.


    ďThereís definitely a great difference between the two guys,Ē guard Brian Waters said. ďDamon is as reliable as there is. You can count on him to be consistent, and you know exactly how heís going to be. Brodie is a great talent, but for all the talent he has, he has to be a more consistent player if he wants to play in this league.Ē


    Croyle welcomed the extra work, not only Thursday night but also in Mondayís practice. He and Huard had rotated in and out of the starting lineup in practice.
    ďItís hard to go out there knowing youíve got three or four series, because you feel like every play youíve got to make something happen,Ē Croyle said. ďIíd love playing into the third quarter. You can get yourself into a pretty good rhythm.


    ďAt this point Iím just as comfortable throwing to the second- and third-team guys as I am the first-team guys. The more you get to go with a certain group, the more comfortable youíre going to be, the more certain you are about where guys are going to be on certain routes.Ē
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

  2. #31
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Read the name dumbass!!
    Posts
    13,343
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 29

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    He is the only guy who has shown that he can be that guy. What has you so convinced that he isn't capable?
    Really?? You don't remember LJ running the ball 416 times lat year, you don't remember Bennet running the ball a few times, was Tony Gonzalez there? Did Kennison play last year? Was there a line with Weigman, Shields
    and Waters there?? Huards career has me convinced that he is an average qb. I don't remember the part where he put the team on his shoulders and went out and put us in the playoffs. When did that happen?
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

  3. #32
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,142
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 27

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada's #1 Chiefs Fan View Post
    You are the one who said 1 or 2 stupid interceptions every 3-4 games. Do the math, be realistic. I was just saying at that pace we still are not that bad. The losing Super Bowl QB last year threw 25 picks (preseason included) not to mention all his fumbles, and they still made it to the bowl. All I have been saying the whoooooole time is that huard is not the great qb that is going to solve the offensive problems for the Chiefs.
    Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    He is the only guy who has shown that he can be that guy. What has you so convinced that he isn't capable?
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada's #1 Chiefs Fan View Post
    Really?? You don't remember LJ running the ball 416 times lat year, you don't remember Bennet running the ball a few times, was Tony Gonzalez there? Did Kennison play last year? Was there a line with Weigman, Shields
    and Waters there?? Huards career has me convinced that he is an average qb. I don't remember the part where he put the team on his shoulders and went out and put us in the playoffs. When did that happen?
    Last year. ^^^^^

    How well versed are you in the playing career of Damon Huard? Have you seen alot of him? Noone else has. Last year was the only opportunity that he has been given. He played extremely well, with terrible protection.

    The first two quotes in this reply show where your latest reply is off-subject.

  4. #33
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Read the name dumbass!!
    Posts
    13,343
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 29

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Last year. ^^^^^

    How well versed are you in the playing career of Damon Huard? Have you seen alot of him? Noone else has. Last year was the only opportunity that he has been given. He played extremely well, with terrible protection.

    The first two quotes in this reply show where your latest reply is off-subject.
    If you think that Huard was the reson that this team made the playoffs last year then we were watching different games. Huard did not lose games for them but he did not put the team on his shoulders. It's not that hard to throw the ball when the defense has 8 in the box against your run. I am apparently not as well versed in Damons career as you are. I did not know that you followed career backups so closely. I have looked at Huards #s over his career and they are, believe it or not, AVERAGE. Almot like he has had 10 average years and half a season of pretty good football.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

  5. #34
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,142
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 27

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada's #1 Chiefs Fan View Post
    If you think that Huard was the reson that this team made the playoffs last year then we were watching different games. Huard did not lose games for them but he did not put the team on his shoulders. It's not that hard to throw the ball when the defense has 8 in the box against your run. I am apparently not as well versed in Damons career as you are. I did not know that you followed career backups so closely. I have looked at Huards #s over his career and they are, believe it or not, AVERAGE. Almot like he has had 10 average years and half a season of pretty good football.
    You didn't look too close at those stats. Because I don't see ten years of playing experience in them. I see numbers that support a guy who hasn't been given any playing time. What are the other Chiefs quarterbacks career stats?

    That "eight in the box" thing is vastly exaggerated. From time-to time, yes, there were eight in the box. And no, it isn't easy posting numbers in the NFL, like those, I don't care how fantastic your running game is.

  6. #35
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Read the name dumbass!!
    Posts
    13,343
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 29

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    You didn't look too close at those stats. Because I don't see ten years of playing experience in them. I see numbers that support a guy who hasn't been given any playing time. What are the other Chiefs quarterbacks career stats?

    That "eight in the box" thing is vastly exaggerated. From time-to time, yes, there were eight in the box. And no, it isn't easy posting numbers in the NFL, like those, I don't care how fantastic your running game is.
    Oh...so he never had a chance in any training camps. This isn't the first time it was unfair to him.

    I am sure 8 in the box is only significant when it supports your argument (ie. LJ couldn't run in playoffs)

    I guess you must be a greater evaluator of talent then me or anyone else in the NFL because you are the only one in the last 11 years who has seen how great Huard really is. Even through all of his average play.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

  7. #36
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,142
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 27

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada's #1 Chiefs Fan View Post
    Oh...so he never had a chance in any training camps. This isn't the first time it was unfair to him.

    I am sure 8 in the box is only significant when it supports your argument (ie. LJ couldn't run in playoffs)

    I guess you must be a greater evaluator of talent then me or anyone else in the NFL because you are the only one in the last 11 years who has seen how great Huard really is. Even through all of his average play.
    The fact is that when given a chance, he has shined. Rich Gannon, Rich Gannon, Rich Gannon. He was extremely average when he got here, too.

  8. #37
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Read the name dumbass!!
    Posts
    13,343
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 29

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    The fact is that when given a chance, he has shined. Rich Gannon, Rich Gannon, Rich Gannon. He was extremely average when he got here, too.
    Not in this years preseason
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

  9. #38
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,142
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 27

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Well, at leats we are down to one argument, for the moment.

    I just think that you have been doing everything in your power to discredit the top-notch work that Huard did last year, while I am complaining that we made the decision to give Croyle the job, without allowing Huard a chance to prove that he is a good quarterback. If the Chiefs were giving Huard a chance, then we wouldn't be having this argument. He would either sink, or swim.

    You complained about the negativity, but if you read back, you should notice where the negativity is coming from.

    I made the point about how young quarterbacks tend to struggle with poor offensive lines, for two reasons. One, was to explain how Huard was thrown into a fire and didn't make it. Two, to show how much more likely it is that Croyle will struggle in the same way and could suffer the same kind of career, because of it. I don't like the idea of throwing our quarterback of the future into that kind of fire, unless we have no choice.

  10. #39
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,142
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 27

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada's #1 Chiefs Fan View Post
    Not in this years preseason
    Again, he hasn't been given a chance.

  11. #40
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Read the name dumbass!!
    Posts
    13,343
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 29

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Again, he hasn't been given a chance.
    He has had a chance,maybe not a fair one, but he has played and when he did he did not play well.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •