Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Huard’s injury tilts Chiefs QB contest further toward Croyle

Post Huard’s injury tilts Chiefs QB contest further toward Croyle

Huard’s injury tilts Chiefs QB contest further toward Croyle

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

Chiefs quarterback Damon Huard is hobbled by a leg injury and finds himself looking at a backup role.

The Chiefs’ quarterback competition appeared to be tipping toward Brodie Croyle anyway, but Damon Huard’s sore leg could end all of the suspense.

Huard didn’t practice Monday. He stood close by with an ice pack on his chronically sore right calf. He noticeably favored the leg when he walked.

Huard has been bothered by the sore calf during training camp, but this was the first time he missed a practice because of it. There was no indication the injury would keep him out long term, but the Chiefs were unsure whether he would practice today or play in Thursday night’s preseason game against New Orleans at Arrowhead Stadium.

“I don’t know that,” coach Herm Edwards said. “I’ve got to check with the trainer to see what he says. We’ve got another couple of days to see where he is.”
    Edwards said over the weekend that Croyle would start against the Saints and play the entire first half and perhaps into the third quarter.

Asked what Huard’s absence on Thursday night might do to the quarterback battle, Edwards said: “Then you have to make the decision based on the information you have on hand. We’ll go back over the preseason games and the practices and everything else. That’s how we’ll make our decision. This (wouldn’t) kill (Huard’s) chances.”

Huard declined to comment.

Ever since last season’s end, Edwards appeared to be leaning toward making Croyle the starter. Edwards talked in the immediate hours after the playoff loss to Indianapolis about the need to get Croyle ready to play this season.

Since then, the Chiefs re-signed Huard, who would have been a free agent, and traded Trent Green to Miami, but Croyle was always a central figure in their plans. Before the trade, Green was hesitant to return to the Chiefs because he feared the quarterback competition would be tilted in Croyle’s favor.

Croyle and Huard split the work almost equally until Monday. Nothing the Chiefs have seen from Croyle, not even the two seemingly preventable interceptions in the two preseason games, has soured them.

Edwards has been noncommittal publicly since the start of training camp about the quarterback battle. But he has said he wants to settle on a quarterback for the foreseeable future and not just this season, something more easily done by going with the 24-year-old Croyle instead of the 34-year-old Huard.

It’s also obvious from the training camp practices that the Chiefs have more offensive capability with Croyle, who has superior passing skills. The Chiefs might have to live with a few more turnovers if Croyle is their quarterback.

“There’s definitely a great difference between the two guys,” guard Brian Waters said. “Damon is as reliable as there is. You can count on him to be consistent, and you know exactly how he’s going to be. Brodie is a great talent, but for all the talent he has, he has to be a more consistent player if he wants to play in this league.”

Croyle welcomed the extra work, not only Thursday night but also in Monday’s practice. He and Huard had rotated in and out of the starting lineup in practice.
    “It’s hard to go out there knowing you’ve got three or four series, because you feel like every play you’ve got to make something happen,” Croyle said. “I’d love playing into the third quarter. You can get yourself into a pretty good rhythm.

“At this point I’m just as comfortable throwing to the second- and third-team guys as I am the first-team guys. The more you get to go with a certain group, the more comfortable you’re going to be, the more certain you are about where guys are going to be on certain routes.”
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

this injury sounds like one that he knows it was a stacked deck and this is a way out.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

Maybe the deck is stacked, but if this kid is going to be our future lets see what he's got,I hope we can pull something off this year but I have doubts, put brodie in and chock it up to learning expeirence.

Yeah, I think Herm has been leaning towards Croyle since the end of last season. I think he created this competition to see if Croyle would step up. If Croyle plays even halfway decent on Thursday I think the starting job will be his. I think Huard is starting to see the writing on the wall.
    Keeping my britches between the ditches! :character00182:

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack View Post
    this injury sounds like one that he knows it was a stacked deck and this is a way out.
    yup, i thought the same thing.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

I think this settles things.

Quote Originally Posted by OTR Chiefs fan View Post
    Yeah, I think Herm has been leaning towards Croyle since the end of last season. I think he created this competition to see if Croyle would step up. If Croyle plays even halfway decent on Thursday I think the starting job will be his. I think Huard is starting to see the writing on the wall.
    well lets hope he can get it going.

Quote Originally Posted by swmochiefsfan View Post
    well lets hope he can get it going.
    Agreed. I don't really who care who is under center as long as they move the ball.

Didn't he have his leg wrapped up upon entering training camp?

My friends, I think we can start looking forward to 2008. If Croyle throws 1 - 2 of these ridiculous interceptions every 3 or 4 games, we are done for this year....
    You can only have one favorite team. There are no "second favorites".
    -- Chris, resident of Arrowhead East (St. Louis)

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast