Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: **Official Draft Discussion**

Default **Official Draft Discussion**

As the year goes on and the team needs become more apparent and the college talent begins to sort itself out, we can update this thread to our liking.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Fifth Round-
    133. CHIEFS-RB-LaGarret Blount
    139. CHIEFS (From Miami)-S-Myron Rolle
    145. CHIEFS (From Carolina)OG- Eric Olsen

Sixth Round-
    164. CHIEFS-OG-Brandon Carter

5C. Eric Olsen- OG (Notre Dame)
    The Chiefs need help on the Oline. Instead of grabbing a sure-fire starting CENTER in the early rounds, the Chiefs could move Waters inside to Center and find starting guards in the 5th and 6th rounds. Eric Olsen at 6'5, 305. Has a reputation of being mean and aggressive. Played his junior year at Center and his senior year at LG. He could start at RG for the Chiefs next season.

6. Brandon Carter- (Texas Tech)
    A 2008 first team All-American. He played OT, but will probably play OG at the next level. He would start IMMEDIATELY at LG next to Albert. This kid is one of the nastiest players in America. After having some nice guys on the line like Shields and Waters, it might be interesting to have a few guys on this line who would kick your mother in the mouth to gain a yard.

Offensive Line:
    LT-Branden Albert
    LG-Brandon Carter
    C-Brian Waters
    RG-Eric Olsen
    RT-Kyle Calloway
    TE-Jermaine Gresham
    So, is our o-line so bad that 5th and 6th rounders can be penciled in as starters? Or is it so good that we don't need at those positions until the end of the draft?

You have backed off of your previous pick (Okung), assumably because our o-line appears to be have improved in the last couple of games.

But you sill have three of five starters being replaced on that line.

Not trying to be a wise-*** here. Just wondering what your assesment is, as the draft choices are quite confusing.

While I admit I did nit see a ton of him before the National Championship, I liked what I saw of McClain from Alabama. I say if Barry is not available then I would like to see them draft him. I also tend to agree with the theory that the most successful defenses in the league have that one guy in the middle that runs the show. Either a MLB or Safety.

As far as the later picks, it just too hard to say IMHO. This team still has so many needs, I think you can just draft best talent available the whole way and not go wrong.
    or Safety.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    So, is our o-line so bad that 5th and 6th rounders can be penciled in as starters? Or is it so good that we don't need at those positions until the end of the draft?

You have backed off of your previous pick (Okung), assumably because our o-line appears to be have improved in the last couple of games.

But you sill have three of five starters being replaced on that line.

Not trying to be a wise-*** here. Just wondering what your assesment is, as the draft choices are quite confusing.
    I've watched Okung play. I've also been more patient than some with Albert. He had a rough start to the year, but he got his act together. This was just his 2nd year in the league and had to play at a new weight. As far as the O-line goes, you can't be fooled by their collective late season performance. This is STILL a poor line that needs to be re-tooled. The line looked like it was getting its act together toward the end of 2008 if you remember correctly. It was smoke and mirrors because of circumstances.

It's tough to say that the Center, RG, and RT positions should NOT be addressed. Spending a 2nd round pick on a RT is a good utilization of resources. You're not paying too much for a RT by drafting one in the first, but you're still getting a sure-fire starter for the long-term.

Its MUCH easier to find starting interior linemen in the later rounds than it is to find a starting OT. Turning a 2008 first team All-American LT into a starting OG in the NFL isn't as far-fetched as you seem to make it out to be. The reason I waited so long to address the O-line is because I'm pretty sure those players will be there in the later rounds. If you remember correctly, there were a few OG prospects in the 5th and 6th rounds that we were all pissed off about that we didn't draft just this past year. The names might change, but there WILL BE starting OGs to be had in the 5th and 6th rounds.

You've seen me do this for a few years now. I'm looking for starters with each pick I make. I'm not trying to find good backups. Each round has a couple positions where the likely-hood of finding a starter is high.

The first round, you go with OTs, LBs, DBs, QBs.
    The second round, you go with OTs, TEs, C, LBs, DBs, WRs, DE's.
    The third round, you go with the best available player.
    The fourth round, you start looking at interior linemen and defense.
    The fifth round, you draft interior linemen and RBs.
    The sixth round, you draft interior linemen and WRs/KR, Ks
    The seventh round, you draft the best available player

These "rules" aren't ALWAYS true, but there ARE trends. For me, it's all about utilization of resources. Another thing I look at is name. If he made a name for himself on the field in college, yet he's slipping for some reason, whether it be combine workout, social issues, or whatever, I'm probably going to look at him in the middle rounds. That's why you see me looking at Blount in the 5th.

In order for your team to be successful for the long-term, the MAJORITY of your picks NEED to be made with with good to great value. You should be drafting starters AT LEAST in your first three rounds. You shouldn't be drafting depth in the 3rd and 4th rounds. You should be finding players who will start on your team. If you are consistently drafting backups in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds, then your team will not be very good. OBVIOUSLY. That's how we got in this mess in the first place. We were drafting the Ryan Sims, Turk McBrides, Kris Wilsons and Junior Siavii's of the world in the first and second rounds to end up being cut and provide depth for other teams.

We need better drafting than we've had this past decade. The ONE good draft this team has had was in 2008. Dorsey, Albert, Flowers, Charles, Cottam, Morgan, and Carr ALL came out of that draft. We can't have too many more drafts like we had in 2009 if we plan to be a great team. This year, we need a 2008-ish draft. We need to find at least 5 starters again this year.

i like the idea of getting berry we need some safties. if not the tackle from osu. I do love Suh but I also loved Sims and Dorsey, I still love Dorsey but hes proved nothing and id still like to seem him gain weight and try to be our nt or loose weight and be end he looks out of place. If we keep Johnson which I think we should and Vrabel I'd like to see them pick up a FA Linebacker or two before drafting one high. Our draft luck on the d line beisdes finding Jared Allen late scares me away from wanting to draft line again. I'm also a fan of Dez Bryant as well. Weis will probualy want us to take Golden Tate but idk where hell be drafted when do you guys think tate will be drafted

Quote Originally Posted by jacko58 View Post
    i like the idea of getting berry we need some safties. if not the tackle from osu. I do love Suh but I also loved Sims and Dorsey, I still love Dorsey but hes proved nothing and id still like to seem him gain weight and try to be our nt or loose weight and be end he looks out of place. If we keep Johnson which I think we should and Vrabel I'd like to see them pick up a FA Linebacker or two before drafting one high. Our draft luck on the d line beisdes finding Jared Allen late scares me away from wanting to draft line again. I'm also a fan of Dez Bryant as well. Weis will probualy want us to take Golden Tate but idk where hell be drafted when do you guys think tate will be drafted
    First off, Dorsey played better than Jackson at end this year. I'm not sure what else the guy has to do to prove he's going to be a good player at that position. That was his first year at that position and only his second in the league all together. Dorsey is gonna be just fine on this defense. Second, there won't be any LBs in free agency that will even come close to comparing to McClain's ability. ESPECIALLY if its gonna be an uncapped year. Third, Dez Bryant doesn't even come close to comparing to Calvin Johnson who was the last WR to DESERVE being taken in the top 5. Taking a WR in the first round is a HUGE risk... then, to spend top 5 money on one? NO THANK YOU. Lastly, I'd expect Tate to be available when the Chiefs select in the 2nd round... but he won't be available much longer after their pick.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    We honestly have no reason to draft Okung who is a lesser talent than Albert. Berry won't be there. Neither will Suh. The LT class is extremely shallow this year. Okung just happens to be the least smelly turd in the manure pile. You can't compare Okung to ANY of the top LTs that have come out over the past 3 years. Hell, Ryan Clady was taken #12 and Okung couldn't hold his jock! There's NO WAY you pay Okung top 5 money for the talent he possesses. If he were a top flight LT, the Detroit Lions would take him to protect their rookie QB. If he's not worth protecting Stafford, he's not worth protecting Cassel.

McClain NEEDS to be the pick.
    I think there's a pretty decent chance that Berry is on the board at the 5 spot. Suh is obviously going somewhere in the top 3 barring some unfortunate circumstance between now and the draft. I think Clausen goes in top 4. If the Rams don't take him, I think Washington does, new Coaches mean new QB's, and Shanny has said he wants his own guy. Even if Washington doesn't get Clausen, I don't think the secondary is something that they're overly concerned with, though the weakest of their DB's play safety, so it is a possibility. Tampa could nab Berry, but I think they go for a defensive tackle as well.

If Berry isn't there, I wouldn't have any complaints with McClain, especially after watching him against Texas, but I'd lean more towards a tackle like Anthony Davis. I agree that it isn't the most ideal situation to have two first round, highly paid tackles, but Pioli didn't draft Albert and might not treat him as him as his number one guy to protect Cassel like Herm would have.

Right now my hopes for the draft:

1. Berry - I wonder what position he plays
    (hoping for some second round miracles)
    2. Mike Iutapi, Von Miller, Trent Williams, Ciron Black, Terrence Cody, Dan Williams (hoping at least one of those guys falls to us)
    2. Golden Tate - WR , Mike Johnson - G
    3. Eric Olsen - C/G
    4. Eric Decker (if we don't get Tate)
    5. Mica Johnson, Joe P. (Baylor player, crazy last name) - both ILB
    6. Brandon Banks - WR/KR/PR

Thanks Aussie!

We need to take a look at Tony Moeaki in the later rounds. He had some injury problems that are going to lower his stock. Had he been healthy for 4 years he would have been a first rounder and likely the 1st tight end off the board. He can do it all and is probably the most well rounded tight end Iowa has produced yet (including Dallas Clark). He's already drawing comparison's to a certain former Chief. He will be a steal in round 4 or 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tyler View Post
    I think there's a pretty decent chance that Berry is on the board at the 5 spot. Suh is obviously going somewhere in the top 3 barring some unfortunate circumstance between now and the draft. I think Clausen goes in top 4. If the Rams don't take him, I think Washington does, new Coaches mean new QB's, and Shanny has said he wants his own guy. Even if Washington doesn't get Clausen, I don't think the secondary is something that they're overly concerned with, though the weakest of their DB's play safety, so it is a possibility. Tampa could nab Berry, but I think they go for a defensive tackle as well.

If Berry isn't there, I wouldn't have any complaints with McClain, especially after watching him against Texas, but I'd lean more towards a tackle like Anthony Davis. I agree that it isn't the most ideal situation to have two first round, highly paid tackles, but Pioli didn't draft Albert and might not treat him as him as his number one guy to protect Cassel like Herm would have.

Right now my hopes for the draft:

1. Berry - I wonder what position he plays
    (hoping for some second round miracles)
    2. Mike Iutapi, Von Miller, Trent Williams, Ciron Black, Terrence Cody, Dan Williams (hoping at least one of those guys falls to us)
    2. Golden Tate - WR , Mike Johnson - G
    3. Eric Olsen - C/G
    4. Eric Decker (if we don't get Tate)
    5. Mica Johnson, Joe P. (Baylor player, crazy last name) - both ILB
    6. Brandon Banks - WR/KR/PR
    I just can't see Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu sitting there at #5 if that's what Berry is projected to be. Suh won't get past #2. The only thing you can hope for is for the Rams AND the Redskins to take QBs AND for the Lions to take a LT. That would leave either Suh or Berry for us at #5. I just don't see that happening. I can GUARANTEE that the Bucs will take defense.

"Worst case" scenario (also most likely):
    Rams-Suh (Best player)
    Lions-Okung (To protect Stafford)
    Bucs-Berry (The Bucs will take defense)
    Redskins-Clausen (Shanahan needs a QB)
    Chiefs-???McClain anyone?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567