Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stop being predictable with LJ. More involvement with the passing game (screen like)

Default Stop being predictable with LJ. More involvement with the passing game (screen like)

PUT ASIDE YOU HATE FOR LJ FOR THIS THREAD PLEASE

I have seen LJ be very successful when getting short passes thrown to him, not really screens more like the one in the video. We need to get him involved with these things because the other team only thinks he is one dimensional and they are always ready for LJ to run. That is part of the reason for the lack of success and Charles success. LJ is hard to stop at full speed. Take a look at this play. And yes i understand this was 2 years ago but he really hasn't lost that much speed if any. He's a little lighter now too.

NFL Videos: Larry Johnson Highlight, WK 9 vs. Packers 2007

This is what Im talking about. Epic play. I want to see screens just like that to him. LJ was successful with the passing game against the Raiders when Charles was hurt. If we get him passes like this that will open up the running game. The more times LJ gets it the better IF we stop being one dimensional. Its not like other receivers are really doing anything. I think this team needs to start doing this more often which will open up other things.

Now I am not saying use him like a WR. HELL NO. He couldn't catch it. Just short screen like throws like this so theres no way to drop it.
    Last edited by kilobytes; 10-07-2009 at 01:24 AM.

All right, but clearly you're missing the point that the blockers on that play were great O-linemen, and we had a good blocking tight end out front, and our offense functioned better then.

I'm pretty sure we're trying to do that now, but just with much less effectiveness, given our current O-line.

jb

Quote Originally Posted by josh1971 View Post
    All right, but clearly you're missing the point that the blockers on that play were great O-linemen, and we had a good blocking tight end out front, and our offense functioned better then.

I'm pretty sure we're trying to do that now, but just with much less effectiveness, given our current O-line.

jb
    Really not that much better O line. But it will still open up other things. We had descent success against a descent Raiders D with it and the Cowboys have a sub par D. I see this working. Also this is less about O line men and more about being less predictable and keeping the D off balance. The D won't be ready for it as much as if it were Charles back there and it will leave a little more open space for LJ to get some YAC.

To establish a good screen, you have to have the linebackers bite on the fact that you are going to go deep.

Every team knows we are not going to go deep, and if we do, it will be once or twice in a game, so they load up short since they know that we are going to have to dump the pass off short to avoid the sack.

We simply don't have the blockers for anyone to play the way we would like to play. This line is horrible, luckily we have a QB that can scramble, but he has been hit so many times, he is looking to unload the ball to the first open receiver he sees, even if that receiver is 6 yards short of the first down marker.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by kilobytes View Post
    Really not that much better O line. But it will still open up other things. We had descent success against a descent Raiders D with it and the Cowboys have a sub par D. I see this working. Also this is less about O line men and more about being less predictable and keeping the D off balance. The D won't be ready for it as much as if it were Charles back there and it will leave a little more open space for LJ to get some YAC.
    Dude, we have not seen that kind of time for our QBs in 2 years now. That was a much better line because we were able to talk pro-bowler Shields to not retire.

Did you also notice how the linebackers had bitten on the fake reverse? Everyone was headed to the right of the play which allowed Johnson to get open on the left. That was a perfectly executed play with some fine blocking and we simply do not have the talent to pull that off anymore.

We clearly don't have the receivers to pose a deep threat to open things up for an effective screen play. However, I will say I wouldn't mind seeing it a few more times simply because it would at least give the RB an opportunity to make a tackler miss as opposed to getting hammered as soon as he gets the ball or having no whole to run through because the O line sucks so bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    Dude, we have not seen that kind of time for our QBs in 2 years now. That was a much better line because we were able to talk pro-bowler Shields to not retire.

Did you also notice how the linebackers had bitten on the fake reverse? Everyone was headed to the right of the play which allowed Johnson to get open on the left. That was a perfectly executed play with some fine blocking and we simply do not have the talent to pull that off anymore.
    I want to point something out. WILL SHIELDS DID NOT PLAY during the 2007 season!! So the offensive line was really not that much better. Also we had success vs the Raiders so why not continue mixing it up? This is just a thought that I think would work decently. Im not saying this will get us a first down or a TD every time but just more forward progress which we seem to never get on the first two downs.

Quote Originally Posted by kilobytes View Post
    I want to point something out. WILL SHIELDS DID NOT PLAY during the 2007 season!! So the offensive line was really not that much better. Also we had success vs the Raiders so why not continue mixing it up? This is just a thought that I think would work decently. Im not saying this will get us a first down or a TD every time but just more forward progress which we seem to never get on the first two downs.
    You're right, I guess I was thinking 2006.

We ran some screens against the Giants, and they all got snuffed out immediately. The defenders were there just as the ball arrived to LJ, yet there were no blockers in place

Quote Originally Posted by rodu View Post
    We ran some screens against the Giants, and they all got snuffed out immediately. The defenders were there just as the ball arrived to LJ, yet there were no blockers in place
    No deep threat to sell the screen.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast