Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs Workout 3 Defensive Tackles

Default Chiefs Workout 3 Defensive Tackles

Chiefs Work Out Three Defensive*Tackles - Arrowhead Pride

Chiefs Work Out Three Defensive Tackles

by Joel Thorman on Oct 10, 2009 6:48 PM CDT in 2009 Campaign

More photos » by Orlin Wagner - AP
    Tank Tyler and Ron Edwards had some competition in town. (AP Photo/Orlin Wagner)

The Kansas City Chiefs worked out three defensive tackles according to Brad Biggs of the National Football Post.
    The players are William Joseph, Tim Anderson and Marlon Favorite.
    Imagine this: If Favorite is signed (no indication that he will be), the Chiefs could send out an all LSU defensive line. Tyson Jackson and Glenn Dorsey on the ends and Favorite in the middle. Crazy, huh?
    We're not quite sure if this means Todd Haley is unhappy with the nose tackle position. It appears that he's at least willing to search for an upgrade, or maybe just depth to supplement the current tackles Tank Tyler and Ron Edwards. I've previously given my support to Tyler who appears to have the tools to win the job.
    But, Edwards is currently the No. 1 nose tackle on the depth chart. He claimed that following the Philadelphia Eagles game.
    Here's some information on the players that were in for a workout:

Joseph was a 2003 first round pick by the New York Giants. He spent five years there before spending the majority of 2008 with the Oakland Raiders. If you'll recall, he was the player released when the Raiders acquired Richard Seymour. Then, when Seymour didn't initially show up, he was re-signed, only to be released three days later when Seymour finally arrived.
    He's listed at 6'5", 315 pounds. He spent a brief part of his time at the University of Miami as a defensive end before settling in at tackle.

Anderson was a 2004 third round draft pick by the Buffalo Bills out of Ohio State. He started a handful of games in his second year before being released in the middle of the 2007 season. He spent the remaining part of that season and the following year with the Atlanta Falcons. The Cowboys signed him in January of this year before cutting him in training camp.
    He's listed at 6'4", 315 pounds.

Favorite is a defensive tackle coming from LSU. He spent time on the St. Louis Rams practice squad after going undrafted. He's listed at 6'1", 317 pounds. He is a 23 year old rookie.

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Why are we looking at DTs?

Ron Edwards/Tank Tyler- 27 tkls
    Jackson/Magee- 5 tkls

The problem isn't the lack of production from the NT position. It's from your 2 top draft picks. Thank god for Dorsey and Gilberry who have combined for 27 tkls and 2 sacks.

I mean, follow me here for a second... Pioli/Haley decide to draft a pair of DE's because they didn't think Dorsey could play DE apparently. THEN they bench the leading NFL DL tackler in favor of Edwards. NOW, they're looking for more DTs. Can somebody PLEASE help me understand why Jackson still has a starting position on this defense? He doesn't apply pressure. He's obviously doing jacksh!t against the run considering his lack of tackles. No sacks. He's getting lectured by Krumrie every time he comes off the field.

For those who believe Jackson is comparable to Seymour, remember that Seymour played 13 games and accumulated 44 tkls and 3 sacks his rookie year.

For those who believe he's a Ty Warren, remember he had 33 tkls and 2 sacks his rookie season.

For those who think he's a bust, Ryan Sims had 6 tkls and 1 sack in 6 games his rookie season before an injury. Jackson has one more game to try and match Sims' production through 6 games.

Here's hoping he can figure out how to tackle somebody again and god forbid, apply pressure and get a sack. Luckily for him, we get the Redskins this week.

You can b!tch and moan all you want about Edwards' drafting the past three years, but if you're honest with yourself, you see those players are the ONLY players contributing to this team outside of Cassel, Vrabel and Mays. EVERY other player who has been brought in by Pioli/Haley have either been lateral moves or lesser players.

... wait... Succop has a hell of a leg. Pioli

But hey... at least we still haven't hit the salary floor yet!! I love having the worst team in the NFL and the most money to spend. That makes sense on SO many different levels.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Why are we looking at DTs?

Ron Edwards/Tank Tyler- 27 tkls
    Jackson/Magee- 5 tkls

The problem isn't the lack of production from the NT position. It's from your 2 top draft picks. Thank god for Dorsey and Gilberry who have combined for 27 tkls and 2 sacks.

I mean, follow me here for a second... Pioli/Haley decide to draft a pair of DE's because they didn't think Dorsey could play DE apparently. THEN they bench the leading NFL DL tackler in favor of Edwards. NOW, they're looking for more DTs. Can somebody PLEASE help me understand why Jackson still has a starting position on this defense? He doesn't apply pressure. He's obviously doing jacksh!t against the run considering his lack of tackles. No sacks. He's getting lectured by Krumrie every time he comes off the field.

For those who believe Jackson is comparable to Seymour, remember that Seymour played 13 games and accumulated 44 tkls and 3 sacks his rookie year.

For those who believe he's a Ty Warren, remember he had 33 tkls and 2 sacks his rookie season.

For those who think he's a bust, Ryan Sims had 6 tkls and 1 sack in 6 games his rookie season before an injury. Jackson has one more game to try and match Sims' production through 6 games.

Here's hoping he can figure out how to tackle somebody again and god forbid, apply pressure and get a sack. Luckily for him, we get the Redskins this week.

You can b!tch and moan all you want about Edwards' drafting the past three years, but if you're honest with yourself, you see those players are the ONLY players contributing to this team outside of Cassel, Vrabel and Mays. EVERY other player who has been brought in by Pioli/Haley have either been lateral moves or lesser players.

... wait... Succop has a hell of a leg. Pioli

But hey... at least we still haven't hit the salary floor yet!! I love having the worst team in the NFL and the most money to spend. That makes sense on SO many different levels.
    Excellent post TC good job in putting things into perspective. I too don't understand what Jacksons problem is. I thought you had to perform to have a spot on this team...REP.
    SHUT IT

I've heard a lot of people complaining about Tyson Jackson. All I can sit here thinking to myself is weren't we doing the EXACT same thing last year with some guy named Glenn Dorsey and now Dorsey is ok to good? Give the kid a year or two!

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

I`m guessing they thought Jackson would take a couple of years to get better.
    If they wanted help right now it would have been better to draft on of those offensive tackles.Or if they wanted help right now our cheap a$$ owner would have spent the money and bought one.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    I've heard a lot of people complaining about Tyson Jackson. All I can sit here thinking to myself is weren't we doing the EXACT same thing last year with some guy named Glenn Dorsey and now Dorsey is ok to good? Give the kid a year or two!
    I agree, to an extent.

Yes, it is infair to label him as a bust this soon.

But should he really be ion the field full-time if he isn't getting the job done, and someone else might?

We cut MacIntosh with noone capable of even doing as well as he did.

We cut Pollard, and kept Page.

DJ seems to still be on the bench.

Tank got demoted.

McBride is gone.

But Jackson remains the starter.

Not that we have kept anyone who would be able to take a shot at that position. Hali is at OLB. McBride is gone and so is Boone.

However, maybe there is some other reason that we are looking at free agent "DTs".

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack View Post
    I`m guessing they thought Jackson would take a couple of years to get better.
    If they wanted help right now it would have been better to draft on of those offensive tackles.Or if they wanted help right now our cheap a$$ owner would have spent the money and bought one.
    Its just tough watching Curry, Orapko, Cushing, Mauelga, etc. contributing to their teams and watching Jackson do....well, nothing much at all...
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    Yeah, remember how "bad" Dorsey was doing last year? Go compare his first 5 starts to Jackson's and you'll understand why people are getting restless. But like I said, it's not just him. The ONLY player producing from this past draft class is Succop.

Yeah, remember how "bad" Dorsey was doing last year? Go compare his first 5 starts to Jackson's and you'll understand why people are getting restless. But like I said, it's not just him. The ONLY player producing from this past draft class is Succop.
    For me it isn't so much that I have a problem with the rookie not playing well. But that he is still starting.

Bench or cut Herm players that don't perform, but keep your top draft pick starting, regardless.

Not very respectable, for a coach who seems to "demand respect".

That was in a different scheme, so comparing apples to oranges. Just as is comparing him to the other players as you did. Some players take a little longer to develop than others. I am sure there is a much longer list of defensive line players that did take some time to make their mark...

Yep, Ryan Sims, took him awhile, but he turned out to be a back up for Tampa I believe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast