Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pick which home game will be the first blacked out game since 1991.

Default Pick which home game will be the first blacked out game since 1991.

or can will they manage to avoid it?
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

That's cool....I just figure the fan base as I've talked to a few friends who are KC fans and reading this board and others is already expecting a tough season, and still plan on attending games...that being said I don't see a blackout this year, but placing $$ out there on a bet where the money will have to float 16 weeks or so, the odds seem really tight. I understand your rationale, but will have to pass on this wager item...papa taught me to pick your horse...if you don't like the odds on your horse don't play someone else's horse...wait for the next race.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Quote Originally Posted by sling58 View Post
    My bad. I don't think any games will be blacked out in KC. All the games will be sold out. Chiefs fans are fanatics and will show up no matter what.
    Actually, the last two seasons they were in danger of being blacked out but local companies bailed them out to lift the blackout.

This year seems prime.

I think the black-out rules are stupid (but don't get me started on that)...the thing is I still don't see a blackout actually occuring in KC. With Huard as the starter and LJ back in the fold, I see 6 wins and another 6-7 close games. I figure then 3-4 blowout losses. That being said, I don't see the fan base giving up on the team until later in December, and likely all tickets will be sold before then.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

bumpity

I am debating whether to even post clips of the game this week.

Maybe a blackout on the site...
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Illinois... No longer .. Finally back home Blue Springs MO

I heard somewhere (and may be way wrong) (think it might have been here) but that since Jackson county put up the money for the stadium improvements that there wouldn't be blackouts. Kind of a reward for the money. Dont know though. Heck with them losing they are blacked out here (illinois) every week.

feeling very retro with this idea, but I think if it happens, it will be the titans game. When was the last blackout? early 90's?

I can't remember a Black out.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by tammietailgator View Post
    feeling very retro with this idea, but I think if it happens, it will be the titans game. When was the last blackout? early 90's?
    Ironically enough, I think the last blackout was against the Oilers when Moon torched us for record breaking numbers. Not positive though.

Illinois... No longer .. Finally back home Blue Springs MO

What would happen if KC ever had a TV blackout?

By RANDY COVITZ | The Kansas City Star

The date was Sept. 1, 1991, and if you were a pro football fan living in the Kansas City area, you didn’t have to leave your living room to watch the Chiefs play Atlanta at Arrowhead Stadium.The game sold out 72 hours in advance, and the NFL lifted the local television blackout, a shroud that had cloaked Chiefs home games for the better part of 20 years.
    Since that day, the Chiefs have sold out 139 consecutive games, including today’s noon kickoff against AFC West rival Oakland.
    But that streak — something the Chiefs take as much pride in as their 104-37 home record since 1990, second-best in the NFL — could be coming to an end.
    It could happen next week when the Chiefs play San Diego, especially if Kansas City doesn’t snap its three-game losing streak today against Oakland. An even better chance of a non-sellout would be Dec. 16 against Tennessee if the Chiefs are out of playoff contention.
    “We have found over the years that the games in December are always difficult to sell,” said Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson, who operates the third-largest stadium (79,451 capacity) in the NFL’s fifth-smallest market. “For the Green Bay game, we sold standing-room only. But it’s the time of the year, it’s the weather, and it’s usually the opponent.
    “Surprisingly to me, San Diego right now, for whatever reason, is not that popular a game. I understand Tennessee …Tennessee is out of our division … I would think people will want to come and see (quarterback) Vince Young.”
    The Chiefs led the NFL in attendance for six straight seasons during 1994-99 and could boast an infamously long waiting list for season tickets.
    Since last summer, the Chiefs have aggressively marketed season tickets and partial-season-ticket plans, including four-game and even two-game packages. A 4-6 record this year — including just 2-3 at home — plus a team in transition with the league’s second-lowest scoring average have conspired to threaten the sellout streak and make a blackout a real possibility.
    “That’s a point well-taken,” Peterson said. “There is no question that offense sells tickets. One of the positives of the Dick Vermeil era is we had … a pretty high-powered offense that was pretty entertaining. The negative was we had no defense to match the offense and slow down the opponent.
    “Now, the reverse has happened. In this period of transition, people are getting a chance now to see Brodie Croyle play. They wanted to see Brodie … Dwayne Bowe … still some talented veterans in Tony Gonzalez playing at a Pro Bowl level, and a lot of fine young defensive players who are re-establishing a defense. One of the things we want to build on in the transition of the team is bringing back the defensive reputation and character we had before.”
    On some occasions corporate sponsors, including KCTV Channel 5, buy unsold tickets (not counting about 1,740 complimentary tickets and 500 allotted to the visitors) to ensure the game is not blacked out. That’s happened this year for games against Jacksonville, Cincinnati and for Oakland today.
    For one game last season, a sponsor worked a deal with schoolteachers by providing tickets at a discount. The sponsor picked up the remainder of the cost.
    “We will probably initiate that program again this year,” said Bill Newman, the Chiefs’ senior vice president/administration. “We’ll put together programs to move tickets for games that need a boost.”

Next post part 2.
    Last edited by McLovin; 11-25-2007 at 09:11 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast