View Poll Results: Will Priest make the team?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 45.45%
  • No

3 27.27%
  • PUP

3 27.27%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Holmes even make the 53 man roster?

Default Will Holmes even make the 53 man roster?

What is the opinion on Priest making the final roster? I don't know how to make a bet poll so Chiefs31 might have to take care of that for me.
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

Official thread killer I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    Letting Priest play in the preseason would be best for Priest, but the team with its current mix of RBs is better letting him rot on the PUP for the first half of the season. They don't need him right now. And if they do it'll be later in the season if they aren't getting enough quality touches from the RBs not named Larry, or if injuries decrease their depth. However if they allow him to put his helmet on now, they lose the flexibility of using the PUP list for the first 6-8 weeks of the season. Its not nice, it's pissing of Priest, but it is the best for the team's roster situation
    I understand what you're saying, but whatever happened to creating competition?

(Just devils advocate here.)

What Priest at this point in his career was going to be competition for LJ...how? I understand you were being the devil's advocate...but you know the team has no incentive/motivation to activate Priest unless they need him come midseason...

Additionally if you creat competition at RB, the theory then would be that you'd require LJ to be on the field to keep his #1 spot...ummm. Who wants him on the field in the preseason more than the 1-2 series this week?! Anyone who just raised their hand wears Bolts or one of those lame foam horse heads on Sundays.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Letting Priest play in the preseason would be best for Priest, but the team with its current mix of RBs is better letting him rot on the PUP for the first half of the season. They don't need him right now. And if they do it'll be later in the season if they aren't getting enough quality touches from the RBs not named Larry, or if injuries decrease their depth. However if they allow him to put his helmet on now, they lose the flexibility of using the PUP list for the first 6-8 weeks of the season. Its not nice, it's pissing of Priest, but it is the best for the team's roster situation

Get him off the PUP and let him pratice with the team, take some hits, see what he can offer to the team. If you can't practice with the team, how can you be a part of the team. Take him of the PUP, lets see if he cane make a come back, not as a feature back, but in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post

Get him off the PUP and let him pratice with the team, take some hits, see what he can offer to the team. If you can't practice with the team, how can you be a part of the team. Take him of the PUP, lets see if he cane make a come back, not as a feature back, but in the mix.
    There's just no advantage to the team at this point. If they remove him from the PUP they lose all flexibility. Even if he is an improvement over Bennett or others for the 2nd/3rd spot on the depth chart, that means they lose a roster spot they could use on someone else. The 2nd/3rd backs aren't going to get a lot of action, but he could be a great midseason addition of say Bennett or KSmith were injured or flop at the start of the season.

p.s. I'm not saying this is right...but it is the optimal way for the team to play the NFL rules and regulations in their favor.
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post

Agreed!

There's just no advantage to the team at this point. If they remove him from the PUP they lose all flexibility. Even if he is an improvement over Bennett or others for the 2nd/3rd spot on the depth chart, that means they lose a roster spot they could use on someone else. The 2nd/3rd backs aren't going to get a lot of action, but he could be a great midseason addition of say Bennett or KSmith were injured or flop at the start of the season.

p.s. I'm not saying this is right...but it is the optimal way for the team to play the NFL rules and regulations in their favor.
    This is also true; I just think it stinks!

Less filling/Tastes great!

!!! There's no advantage to having Priest Holmes on the roster. !!! No offense there, bedgood, but a backfield with Larry Johnson and Priest Holmes, both, is a pretty good reason. I realize what you are getting at, with working down to a 53 man roster, but saying that there is no advantage to allowing him to compete for a job is a huge oversight.

Where I get angry, is having heard C.P tell us that Priest deserves a chance to make a comeback, but then to block his attempt, a couple weeks later. "Priest deserves an opportunity to make a comeback, but I am going to do whatever it takes to ensure that he doesn't get that opportunity." What a class act.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    !!! There's no advantage to having Priest Holmes on the roster. !!! No offense there, bedgood, but a backfield with Larry Johnson and Priest Holmes, both, is a pretty good reason. I realize what you are getting at, with working down to a 53 man roster, but saying that there is no advantage to allowing him to compete for a job is a huge oversight.

Where I get angry, is having heard C.P tell us that Priest deserves a chance to make a comeback, but then to block his attempt, a couple weeks later. "Priest deserves an opportunity to make a comeback, but I am going to do whatever it takes to ensure that he doesn't get that opportunity." What an ***.
    Fixed yer reply!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Where I get angry, is having heard C.P tell us that Priest deserves a chance to make a comeback, but then to block his attempt, a couple weeks later. "Priest deserves an opportunity to make a comeback, but I am going to do whatever it takes to ensure that he doesn't get that opportunity." What a class act.
    You're right...saying there is "no advantage" wasn't considering all factors. However in the big picture considering all the factors it is not advantageous.

Ditto!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Canada's #1 Chiefs Fan View Post
    Fixed yer reply!!

Why yes; yes you did!

Sweets Guest

Well I guess the bets can be paid out now, Priest isn't going to be playing at all this season..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast