Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Berry And Mays

Default Berry And Mays

I am more than excited for this years draft for the Chiefs. I know we need OL help but luckily for us this years draft has a lot of prospected OL to go in the 2nd-3rd round. It would be hard for me to see an OL drafted in the first round and pass up Berry and Mays.

Berry and Mays are two once in a decade type safeties with comparisons to Reed, Polamalu, Dawkins...and you see what they did for their defenses. I think either one of them (prefer Berry) would give us that playmaker on defense to build around for the next 10 years. Especially while we get the personnel to fill our 3-4.

I'm also loving Jerry Hughes to give us that 3-4 linebacker. He plays a lot like James Harrison, compact build with an insane bull rush. There are probably 4 more 3-4 outside linebackers that could really put of defense over the top. (IF we have one of those elite safeties of course)

AND this years Wide Receiving group is one of the deepest we will ever see. We should without a doubt be able to grab one of them in the draft that will give us a solid #2 to compliment Bowe and keep Wade as our slot along with Bradley. Golden Tate is who I would like to see in red.

OL...we have to use one of our 2nd round picks on one. No question. And it's really nice that we have 2 second rounders.

What do you guys think, I really believe we need that playmaker on defense and I hesitate to take another Dlineman even though there are some monster DT's that could anchor our 3-4.

Quote Originally Posted by hometeam View Post
    Subversion, the only reason our D is ranked that low, is cause they are on the field 3/4 of the game, becuase our OLINE cant keep the O on the field and go 3 and out.
    That is not all that true... we are right at the bottom of the league in both yards allowed per rush attempt and yards allowed per pass attempt, so it's not just because the other teams are getting to run a lot of plays.

There are signs of good things to come, but our defense is still terrible right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Subversion View Post
    Our Defense was 29th overall entering Sundays game... I really don't consider that to be fine by any means. LJ is not the same runner,
    If the offense is able to even just move the chains a few more times, and keep the other team's offense off the field, just a bit, then you take away one or two possessions from the opponent.

That instantly improves the defensive ranking.

5 pro bowl oline men= A #10-15 ranked offense with a bottom 10 defense. No thanks

Again I'm not ignoring Oline at all, but it woudln't make us a playoff team.
    How, exactly, does a good o-line make the defense worse?

Better players makes the team worse? Really? No thanks? Really?

I'm not one to say "top four picks on o-line", but it has been a big problem with this team since Roaf retired.

And aquiring a top-flight LOT should be priority one. This gives us back one of the top OG prospects (Brandon Albert) and allows this offense to help it's defense, by giving the opponent fewer opportunities to score.

The type of team that you seem to be wanting tends to only works when you can run the ball. How is that o-line doing in run-blocking?

Not that I trust Haley can get a running game going with five HOF blockers. But that is a different issue.

I don't mind a defensive team. Not in the least. But you have to be able to move the ball when you have it. And that requires blockers.

You can take Wayne Bowe, Matt Cassel and Larry Johnson, as long as you give me a strong o-line. I'll just use that o-line to create my own QB, RB and WRs.

LJ is a shining example of what happens when you have a top-notch skill position player without blockers. Nothing.

If the offense is able to even just move the chains a few more times, and keep the other team's offense off the field, just a bit, then you take away one or two possessions from the opponent.

That instantly improves the defensive ranking.
    How does that instantly improve a defense that has been exposed by two teams 2 minute drill. That alone should show you where we are lacking when a RESTED defense gets lit up. (Although I'm not a fan of Pendergast as DC) Our defense is rancid, and will be unless we bring people in to fit the scheme. It's not easy to go from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and expect all of our old Chief favorite players to fit in and produce.

How, exactly, does a good o-line make the defense worse?

Better players makes the team worse? Really? No thanks? Really?
    If you're going to try to debate with me, at least don't make things up I've never said. Our defense is already in the bottom 10 in the league...how is that going to improve..just because we have an offense that can produce?...Why does that sound so familiar? Oh yeah...Dick Vermeil??? Playoff tease again....not for me.

LJ is a shining example of what happens when you have a top-notch skill position player without blockers. Nothing.
    LJ a top notch skill position player?...I think those days are done for him...we heavily abused him for 2 seasons. Nobody can expect a back to carry that many times with the defensive players in the league now.

And Tamba Hali...he was drafted as a 4-3 D-end to concentrate on run blocking. Bringing in the new 3-4 scheme we had NO other options but to move him. DO I hope he turns into a legitimate pass rusher...well of course BUT the facts are he lacks in speed AND is terrible in coverage...He's a hustle player, so I'm hoping they find a place for him...either way he's going to get his chances to prove himself since we don't have a lot of options right now.

Name other 3-4 Defenses in the league that DON'T have a top notch pass OLB, a run stopper in the middle (Vrabel will do while he plays) and someone that can drop back?

Signed:
    We need the right personnel!

LJ has still got it if the O line could at least make even a small hole. I have never seen a strong and fast RB hit holes with authority like LJ has. LJ still has speed its just he can never get to it because the O line. He is not quick like charles but he is fast. Not break away speed though. Priest Holmes never impressed me like LJ has. Looking back on videos im still impressed by LJ. I don't think LJ has lost it hardly at all. He's a big guy with great durability. I think we can squeeze maybe 2 more years out of him. Hes not a typical HB.

Purely based on principle, I will not get too involved in this thread until much later in the season. I will say that I would prefer the Chiefs to address the OL through free-agency with proven lineman. Spend some money.

I'd rather see the 2010 draft picks used on impact offensive players and defensive players. WR, NT, S, CB, LB are all needs.

How does that instantly improve a defense that has been exposed by two teams 2 minute drill. That alone should show you where we are lacking when a RESTED defense gets lit up. (Although I'm not a fan of Pendergast as DC) Our defense is rancid, and will be unless we bring people in to fit the scheme. It's not easy to go from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and expect all of our old Chief favorite players to fit in and produce.

If you're going to try to debate with me, at least don't make things up I've never said. Our defense is already in the bottom 10 in the league...how is that going to improve..just because we have an offense that can produce?...Why does that sound so familiar? Oh yeah...Dick Vermeil??? Playoff tease again....not for me.

LJ a top notch skill position player?...I think those days are done for him...we heavily abused him for 2 seasons. Nobody can expect a back to carry that many times with the defensive players in the league now.

And Tamba Hali...he was drafted as a 4-3 D-end to concentrate on run blocking. Bringing in the new 3-4 scheme we had NO other options but to move him. DO I hope he turns into a legitimate pass rusher...well of course BUT the facts are he lacks in speed AND is terrible in coverage...He's a hustle player, so I'm hoping they find a place for him...either way he's going to get his chances to prove himself since we don't have a lot of options right now.

Name other 3-4 Defenses in the league that DON'T have a top notch pass OLB, a run stopper in the middle (Vrabel will do while he plays) and someone that can drop back?

Signed:
    We need the right personnel!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Purely based on principle, I will not get too involved in this thread until much later in the season. I will say that I would prefer the Chiefs to address the OL through free-agency with proven lineman. Spend some money.

I'd rather see the 2010 draft picks used on impact offensive players and defensive players. WR, NT, S, CB, LB are all needs.
    Proven?

The only proven o-linemen that become available in free agency are proven to be mediocre, or poor. There is generally one OG that becomes available, to the highest bidder, whos is proven to be any good.

However, if this offseason becomes an exception to that trend, then I'm all for it.

I think our defense is BETTER than it has been but still not top notch. I think our D is exposed by the inept offense for sure. I don't know the exact stats but i think when our D is fresh like the start of the game and start at half we've only been scored at the beginning by one team i think?

Now do i think we are a top ten defense? no but with a offense giving the D more rest i think we are a middle of the pack defense. I definetly think we need to get a NT and another Safety that can cause havoc in the middle of the field. And i think we need to put DJ in the center with mays, anyone else see him knock the redskins guard square on his *** when he came in on a blitz? I would also like DJ on the outside where vrabel is and mix up which side the rush is coming from with Hali. I think DJ and hali's speed on the edge and their strength would suprise some people.

i think a couple moves on D and a couple moves on the O line this team is a deep playoff team. we are getting there, just couple more pieces to the puzzle

With the donks and the bolts getting better,in order to stay competitive,we do not have enough draft picks to fill all our needs without either ol, wr, olb,or safety from free agency
    Last edited by 70 chiefsfan70; 10-23-2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: misspelled

The past few years we only have drafted defense. The defense is stable enough, we now need to work on our offense.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

It comes down to a simple fact, if we draft defense again our o-line and offense short of spending a ton of money in the offseason will continue to suck.

Putting points up on the board is what puts butts in the seat. Because people will always come out to see if we can outscore the other team...look at 05 and 06. While I want this team to be good you can't blindly continue to say fix the d, fix the d while ignoring the o. If they ignore the o to long no one will come to the games because no matter how good the defense is three field goals is still more than a pick 6.

They have to address the o this draft and then use one or two mid to late picks for the d and then acquire a few proven d players from FA in the off season. Just my two cents, I'll take my change now please.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast