Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Berry And Mays

Default Berry And Mays

I am more than excited for this years draft for the Chiefs. I know we need OL help but luckily for us this years draft has a lot of prospected OL to go in the 2nd-3rd round. It would be hard for me to see an OL drafted in the first round and pass up Berry and Mays.

Berry and Mays are two once in a decade type safeties with comparisons to Reed, Polamalu, Dawkins...and you see what they did for their defenses. I think either one of them (prefer Berry) would give us that playmaker on defense to build around for the next 10 years. Especially while we get the personnel to fill our 3-4.

I'm also loving Jerry Hughes to give us that 3-4 linebacker. He plays a lot like James Harrison, compact build with an insane bull rush. There are probably 4 more 3-4 outside linebackers that could really put of defense over the top. (IF we have one of those elite safeties of course)

AND this years Wide Receiving group is one of the deepest we will ever see. We should without a doubt be able to grab one of them in the draft that will give us a solid #2 to compliment Bowe and keep Wade as our slot along with Bradley. Golden Tate is who I would like to see in red.

OL...we have to use one of our 2nd round picks on one. No question. And it's really nice that we have 2 second rounders.

What do you guys think, I really believe we need that playmaker on defense and I hesitate to take another Dlineman even though there are some monster DT's that could anchor our 3-4.

Quote Originally Posted by Subversion View Post
    How does that instantly improve a defense that has been exposed by two teams 2 minute drill. That alone should show you where we are lacking when a RESTED defense gets lit up. (Although I'm not a fan of Pendergast as DC) Our defense is rancid, and will be unless we bring people in to fit the scheme. It's not easy to go from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and expect all of our old Chief favorite players to fit in and produce.

If you're going to try to debate with me, at least don't make things up I've never said. Our defense is already in the bottom 10 in the league...how is that going to improve..just because we have an offense that can produce?...Why does that sound so familiar? Oh yeah...Dick Vermeil??? Playoff tease again....not for me.

Prior to today's game...

Offense YPG - KC (30th)
    Defense - KC (29th)

I'm sorry. It's pretty obvious that which of those is the problem?

I'll just continue below...

LJ a top notch skill position player?...I think those days are done for him...we heavily abused him for 2 seasons. Nobody can expect a back to carry that many times with the defensive players in the league now.

He's just fine. But poor quality of blockers and an offensive system that just does not get rushing yards could be a problem.

And Tamba Hali...he was drafted as a 4-3 D-end to concentrate on run blocking. Bringing in the new 3-4 scheme we had NO other options but to move him. DO I hope he turns into a legitimate pass rusher...well of course BUT the facts are he lacks in speed AND is terrible in coverage...He's a hustle player, so I'm hoping they find a place for him...either way he's going to get his chances to prove himself since we don't have a lot of options right now.

This must have been directed to someone else, because I am not on any Hali bandwagon right now.

Although, we do already have the OLB that you are looking for. You can find him being punished with benchtime, of late.

Name other 3-4 Defenses in the league that DON'T have a top notch pass OLB, a run stopper in the middle (Vrabel will do while he plays) and someone that can drop back?

Pssst. Vrabel is an OLB.

Signed:
    We need the right personnel!
    ...Anyway, this is how a good o-line improves your defense...

Let's say your offense is having a hard time moving the ball...We'll just put your offensive TOP (Time Of Posession) at 28:00. (30:00 would be exactly half of the game, and exactly average)

What that means is that your defense is on the field for 32:00 per game.

This is likely to make for a pretty bad team.

Now, we replace that o-line with better players...

Now, you are able to convert on 3rd down more often, meaning that your offense gets more plays to run. Let's say they are good enough to to go from bad (28:00 TOP) to good. (32:00TOP)

What this does is lowers the number of plays, and amount of time on the field that your defense is expected to do their jobs. Now, they are only on the field for 28:00 instead of the previous 32:00.

If the defense is the same, except for that factor, which defense is likey to do better, over the course of the season?

Please consider that the defense that plays with a poor offense has four more minutes per game (16 games) for a total of 64 minutes more. With that 64 minutes, do you think that they might give up a little more yardage, even some points, perhaps?

Now... the same can be done in reverse. A defense that gets off the field quickly gives their offense more opportunites.

But to sit and act like you don't understand how an improved offense helps their defense out is just silly.

One more thing...

I didn't make up anything that you didn't say.

Quote Originally Posted by subversion
    5 pro bowl oline men= A #10-15 ranked offense with a bottom 10 defense.
    You actually posted that. Somehow coming to the conclusion that having great o-linemen "=" a bottom 10 defense.

Either own what you post or admit an error. But don't act like I fabricated it.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    ...Anyway, this is how a good o-line improves your defense...

Let's say your offense is having a hard time moving the ball...We'll just put your offensive TOP (Time Of Posession) at 28:00. (30:00 would be exactly half of the game, and exactly average)

What that means is that your defense is on the field for 32:00 per game.

This is likely to make for a pretty bad team.

Now, we replace that o-line with better players...

Now, you are able to convert on 3rd down more often, meaning that your offense gets more plays to run. Let's say they are good enough to to go from bad (28:00 TOP) to good. (32:00TOP)

What this does is lowers the number of plays, and amount of time on the field that your defense is expected to do their jobs. Now, they are only on the field for 28:00 instead of the previous 32:00.

If the defense is the same, except for that factor, which defense is likey to do better, over the course of the season?

Please consider that the defense that plays with a poor offense has four more minutes per game (16 games) for a total of 64 minutes more. With that 64 minutes, do you think that they might give up a little more yardage, even some points, perhaps?

Now... the same can be done in reverse. A defense that gets off the field quickly gives their offense more opportunites.

But to sit and act like you don't understand how an improved offense helps their defense out is just silly.

One more thing...

I didn't make up anything that you didn't say.

You actually posted that. Somehow coming to the conclusion that having great o-linemen "=" a bottom 10 defense.

Either own what you post or admit an error. But don't act like I fabricated it.
    Like my sig? Once the O line problem is somehow solved it will make everything better. Some things will need tweaking though.
    It starts with the Offensive line

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234