Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obscure question: Joe Delaney

Default Obscure question: Joe Delaney

Hello:

I'm looking for a very obscure bit of info, goes all the way back to the Chiefs 1981 season -- any help would be greatly appreciated. Here it goes:

Oct 18, 1981 Chiefs v. Denver. RB Joe Delaney ran an 82 yard TD in the second half. Just before that he ran one for 70 only to have it called back on a holding penalty. Question is, can anyone confirm that the 82 yard run came on the very next play of the 70 yard that got called back?

If not sure, any suggestion of where I should look?

Thanks,
    James

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    Hello:

I'm looking for a very obscure bit of info, goes all the way back to the Chiefs 1981 season -- any help would be greatly appreciated. Here it goes:

Oct 18, 1981 Chiefs v. Denver. RB Joe Delaney ran an 82 yard TD in the second half. Just before that he ran one for 70 only to have it called back on a holding penalty. Question is, can anyone confirm that the 82 yard run came on the very next play of the 70 yard that got called back?

If not sure, any suggestion of where I should look?

Thanks,
    James
    I'll see what I can google. :)

Cool. Thanks.

...Still looking; may be a while.

Took me forever to find this thread. I was looking in the Hardcore Chiefs Discussion forum. Anyway, I went to another BB, and someone povided me with the following link.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...-PRINT,00.html

Professional football needs more "gee whiz."
    Grantland Rice, generally accepted as the best sportswriter in world history, wrote heroic descriptions of games and players, descriptions so flowery, so full of open and unbridled enthusiasm, that he could not contain himself in prose. Many of Rice’s oft-cited quotations are from poems he composed as part of his reports.
    Mike Lupica, Mitch Albom, Rick Reilly – no poetry.
    A common theory, particularly among professional athletes, is that the modern negativity in sport, the dark underside composed of drugs, tantrums, crime, cheating and money, is effectively a media creation. A complementary theory is that sport has always been corrupt, that there never were good old days, but that we believe in a long-lost innocence because of Rice’s writing from the first half of the 20th century.
    Rice published more than 67 million words, according to one particularly time-rich biographer. Roughly 50 were negative, and those were probably inserted by rookie copy editors.
    Were Rice writing in the modern era, Sean Taylor and Pacman Jones could find weekly respite in his columns, which people could read and never know that either player had ever been arrested. Albert Haynesworth, Shawne Merriman and Tank Johnson could quietly go away for a few weeks and return with no more acknowledgement from Rice than a note that they were missed.
    Were Rice writing in the modern era, nobody would have forgotten running back Joe Delaney. In 1981, his rookie year with the Chiefs, Delaney took a sweep 75 yards for a touchdown against the Broncos. The Chiefs were called for a false start, and on the next play Delaney took an identical pitch for an 80-yard touchdown. In 1984, he died trying to save three children from drowning, an act of astounding heroism considering he could not swim. Where is Joe Delaney’s poem?
    None of this is to suggest that Grantland Rice should be part of every journalism curriculum, or that he was right, or even that he responsibly performed his duties. If Rice was responsible for creating a faux golden age, then he was also a hopeless romantic, a wide-eyed innocent. His famous "gee whiz" journalism was a very narrow version of the truth, but it certainly captured sport’s best side.
    With the information available today, to say nothing of the prejudice of many disappointing years of fandom, innocence is next to impossible. Rather than enjoying the breathtaking unpredictability of Michael Vick, we have to think of him as a coach killer, as a guy who would flip off people who paid $185 a ticket to watch him play.
    In a sense, the athletes are absolutely right. Negativity in sport is a media creation. Even if Lupica, Albom and Reilly really did write in verse . . . well, that would be awful, but the point is that regardless of medium, the press will continue to report the truth, and the truth is not all heroes and flowers.
    The truth will never give football fans as much joy as "gee whiz."
    Copyright 2007, Rocky Mountain News. All Rights Reserved.

Great job! Delaney is an amazing story. Apparently he would bring his check home and put it on the tv. His wife would ask if he didn't want to take any money and buy something for himself and the answer was no, he had everything he needed.

If you have time to spend, google him and visit some of his memorial web-sites...
    You can only have one favorite team. There are no "second favorites".
    -- Chris, resident of Arrowhead East (St. Louis)

Quote Originally Posted by luv View Post
    Took me forever to find this thread. I was looking in the Hardcore Chiefs Discussion forum. Anyway, I went to another BB, and someone povided me with the following link...
    Outstand! Great job luv!

LUV -- you rock, you rule! You made my week. I can't believe you found it. I had looked everywhere.
    Oh, and Chiefster --- thank you, too for looking around!
    many thanks,
    JamesB

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    LUV -- you rock, you rule! You made my week. I can't believe you found it. I had looked everywhere.
    Oh, and Chiefster --- thank you, too for looking around!
    many thanks,
    JamesB

No problem dude anything to help a fellow Chiefs fan!

My fee is only: $100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,0 00,000,000.00

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    No problem dude anything to help a fellow Chiefs fan!

My fee is only: $100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,0 00,000,000.00
    Is that Arrowcash??
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast