Thread: Just To Stir The Pot!!!!

Default Just To Stir The Pot!!!!

A comparison of Curry and Jackson.
    Total tackes: solo: asst: sacks: fumbles:
    Jackson:
    5 3 2 0 0

Curry:
    37 33 4 2 2

I hope Jackson gets better. Gilberry is more productive at this point.

Playing 3-4 DE is so much different, statistically, from other defensive positions.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have long been recognized as the most effective 3-4 defense in The NFL. So they would be the perfect team to look at, to find out how a 3-4 DE performs, statistically.

Brett Keisel has been a starter at DE for The Steelers for awhile now.

2009 (7 games, 7 starts)

Total tackles - 26
    Sacks - 1
    Forced Fumbles - 1

2008 (10 games, 10 starts)

Total tackles - 41
    Sacks - 1
    Forced Fumbles - 0

2007 (16 games, 16 starts)

Total tackles - 39
    Sacks - 2
    Forced Fumbles - 0

On the other side they have had Aaron Smith.

2009 (5 games, 5 starts)

Total tackles - 9
    Sacks - 2
    Forced Fumbles - 0

2008 (16 games, 16 starts)

Total tackles - 60
    Sacks - 5.5
    Forced Fumbles - 0

2007 (11 games, 11 starts)

Total tackles - 21
    Sacks - 2.5
    Forced Fumbles - 0

Ever heard of either of those guys? Good 3-4 DEs don't get their name mentioned all too often.

So comparing Jackson to these numbers would be far more telling for the position he plays. Eventhough these two guys could easily be considered the best 3-4 DEs in the league.

Now I agree that Jackson has been underperforming. But not to the degree that some would like to think.

I'll also agree that Curry has exceeded expectations.

But Jackson has not been completely horrible. And this is 1/3 of the way through his first season.

While I despise the pick, where we did select him, I hold no ill will toward Jackson for that, and hope that he will become a mainstay on this defense for years to come.

comparing a lb to a 3-4 de not fair and you cant compare the two..... i did see jackson get his *** blown off the ball a few times last week... but he's there to take on the double teams and run defense... not only that d-line is one of the hardest positions to make the transition from college to pros

I don't ever cast judgement DL players their first year, just like I didn't with Dorsey and now he's playing pretty well even though he's out of position.

Jackson has been completely horrible to this point though. He has only 5 tackles, and he is a starter on a defense that is usually on the field most of the game. I don't really recall the last time I saw him in the backfield on a play. The Steelers DEs have sacks, which tells me they're at least getting into the backfield. Jackson is relatively invisible out there on defense.

But again, although he has played bad up to this point I still think he will be a pretty good player in the long run. Curry will probably be a pro bowler for years to come though, which is unfortunate because we'll probably be bringing him up a lot in the coming years if our defense doesn't improve drastically.

Of course I wish we had Curry. I think with the money top 5 picks get, those players need to be superstars.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    I don't ever cast judgement DL players their first year, just like I didn't with Dorsey and now he's playing pretty well even though he's out of position.

Jackson has been completely horrible to this point though. He has only 5 tackles, and he is a starter on a defense that is usually on the field most of the game. I don't really recall the last time I saw him in the backfield on a play. The Steelers DEs have sacks, which tells me they're at least getting into the backfield. Jackson is relatively invisible out there on defense.

But again, although he has played bad up to this point I still think he will be a pretty good player in the long run. Curry will probably be a pro bowler for years to come though, which is unfortunate because we'll probably be bringing him up a lot in the coming years if our defense doesn't improve drastically.

Of course I wish we had Curry. I think with the money top 5 picks get, those players need to be superstars.
    agreed but mario williams didnt really do too much his 1st year either and hes more of a pass rusher

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Playing 3-4 DE is so much different, statistically, from other defensive positions.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have long been recognized as the most effective 3-4 defense in The NFL. So they would be the perfect team to look at, to find out how a 3-4 DE performs, statistically.

Brett Keisel has been a starter at DE for The Steelers for awhile now.

2009 (7 games, 7 starts)

Total tackles - 26
    Sacks - 1
    Forced Fumbles - 1

2008 (10 games, 10 starts)

Total tackles - 41
    Sacks - 1
    Forced Fumbles - 0

2007 (16 games, 16 starts)

Total tackles - 39
    Sacks - 2
    Forced Fumbles - 0

On the other side they have had Aaron Smith.

2009 (5 games, 5 starts)

Total tackles - 9
    Sacks - 2
    Forced Fumbles - 0

2008 (16 games, 16 starts)

Total tackles - 60
    Sacks - 5.5
    Forced Fumbles - 0

2007 (11 games, 11 starts)

Total tackles - 21
    Sacks - 2.5
    Forced Fumbles - 0

Ever heard of either of those guys? Good 3-4 DEs don't get their name mentioned all too often.

So comparing Jackson to these numbers would be far more telling for the position he plays. Eventhough these two guys could easily be considered the best 3-4 DEs in the league.

Now I agree that Jackson has been underperforming. But not to the degree that some would like to think.

I'll also agree that Curry has exceeded expectations.

But Jackson has not been completely horrible. And this is 1/3 of the way through his first season.

While I despise the pick, where we did select him, I hold no ill will toward Jackson for that, and hope that he will become a mainstay on this defense for years to come.
    Agreed. Great example using the Steelers and giving an idea of what the 3-4 is. I just want to add 1 thing. Smith and Keisel are considered some of the best 3-4 DE yet you don't hear of them because they don't get those "sexy" sack numbers. Check out Pittsburghs linebacking core over the years. Joey Porter, James Harrison, Lamar Woodley, and now Lawrence Timmons. These guys get the glory since the D-line of Hampton, Keisel, and Smith occupy the line so the Linebackers can make the plays.

Tyson Jackson will work out and the same goes with Glen Dorsey. If we get a legit NT somewhere down the road almost any linebacker with a pass rush will shine. Pioli loves to build the line with a big DE...I.E. Richard Seymour. While I agree Curry would have been the better value for the pick, I'm sure we will get a stud linebacker that will make you forget all about him and will be thankful that we have such a BIG D-line.

Quote Originally Posted by Subversion View Post
    Agreed. Great example using the Steelers and giving an idea of what the 3-4 is. I just want to add 1 thing. Smith and Keisel are considered some of the best 3-4 DE yet you don't hear of them because they don't get those "sexy" sack numbers. Check out Pittsburghs linebacking core over the years. Joey Porter, James Harrison, Lamar Woodley, and now Lawrence Timmons. These guys get the glory since the D-line of Hampton, Keisel, and Smith occupy the line so the Linebackers can make the plays.

Tyson Jackson will work out and the same goes with Glen Dorsey. If we get a legit NT somewhere down the road almost any linebacker with a pass rush will shine. Pioli loves to build the line with a big DE...I.E. Richard Seymour. While I agree Curry would have been the better value for the pick, I'm sure we will get a stud linebacker that will make you forget all about him and will be thankful that we have such a BIG D-line.
    While I agree that if our front 3 is good then our linebackers will look a lot better, we do need to get better pass rushers in here. Hali is pretty good, but Vrabel looks incredible slow coming off the edge and doesn't seem to have any explosion. If he is around longer than this season I think he'll need to be moved inside in favor of someone we bring in during the offseason.

I'm not a fan of Terrance Cody, but I think if he's there for us to take in the 2nd round then we have to jump all over it. That would take our NT from 315 to a cool 365 and add some serious beef on the line. I'd rather have Wilfork if an opportunity comes up for us to get him at a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    While I agree that if our front 3 is good then our linebackers will look a lot better, we do need to get better pass rushers in here. Hali is pretty good, but Vrabel looks incredible slow coming off the edge and doesn't seem to have any explosion. If he is around longer than this season I think he'll need to be moved inside in favor of someone we bring in during the offseason.

I'm not a fan of Terrance Cody, but I think if he's there for us to take in the 2nd round then we have to jump all over it. That would take our NT from 315 to a cool 365 and add some serious beef on the line. I'd rather have Wilfork if an opportunity comes up for us to get him at a reasonable price.
    If we don't address the offensive line with both the first or second pick, and take another D lineman instead... My head will explode.

We are not getting beat up the middle for runs. It is on the oustide. Don't need a NT to fix that.

Not to burst your bubble, but LB is different than DE. ;)
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

We need at least 3 offensive linemen and 2 safties. Stat.
    SHUT IT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast