Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Matt Cassel

Default Matt Cassel

Right now, I don't think Matt Cassel is living up to the hype that everybody was giving him. I know KC doesn't have the best offensive line in th league, but he is making some pretty poor throws when he has receivers wide open. It's a big difference when you come from New England where you have a really good offensive line. It can make you look like your a good quarterback even if your not. I know he stepped up last year and won alot of games for his team and you have to give him credit for that. I am trying to understand how you can go and give somebody 66 million dollars when they have only played 1 year? I think Kanasas City could have went out and signed a vet quarterback for a year and spent that type of money somewhere else and tried to draft a quarterback this year if needed. I'm just trying to understand what is going through the heads of the people at the front office. Not to mention, Todd Hailey is a horrible play caller. The guy calls running plays when we're down 30. Just my thoughts, what does everybody else think?????

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    I was fortunate enough to meet Mr. Cassel tonight and he is not an imposing figure. I have total respect for the man and his toughness because he stands tall in that pocket knowing he is gonna get killed. I half joked about getting the biggest and baddest left tackle in college but he said Man I hope so. He has no line, no running back, no wide receivers, no hall of famer tight end to bail him out, what are you expecting from the guy.
    If your going to throw that out there the least you could do is tell us about it. How? Where? I need to know.
    Chiefs in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by kilobytes View Post
    He is slow. He is not a scrambler at all. Got sacked the most in the league behind a Patriot Offensive line. Wasn't even good up there. Couldn't even hit moss very well. Hasn't proven his 60 million plus dollars. Even when he gets descent protection he misses targets. I know the WR aren't helping much but passes are way off half the time. I don't care about the hanging in there crap. Even Len Dawson said he was pretty bad last game on Dawson's QB critique segment. The only thing positive he said was that he is hanging in there. Thigpen is a much better fit with this O line. Put up almost as good numbers as Cassel and got sacked way fewer times. Cassel OVERALL has been descent.
    Here is the problem with even Thigpen still being here. We are not running that type of offense anymore. That ship sailed when Chan was given his walking shoes. Haley is not remotely interested in running that type of offense here at KC and so he is going to force these guys to play a traditional offense, even if it kills Cassel in the process.

Cassel CAN scramble, at one time he was leading the team in rushing yards. I guaratee you that he is being told not to run as much. I would bet dollars to donuts Haley is telling him to stand firm and trust the other playmakers on the team and to only run in the last resort.

Vince Young and Michael Vick he is not!

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Cassel was 2nd in the NFL in rushing among QBs to only Tyler Thigpen last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandelay View Post
    If your going to throw that out there the least you could do is tell us about it. How? Where? I need to know.
    I work at a hotel in Lake of the Ozarks and he and his wife are in town for the weekend. When I walked by him n the Lobby I said man that looks like Matt Cassel, but he's too skinny to take those sunday hits he's been taken. Then he came into the restairant and I went to the front desk and made sure that was him. It was, had my sister-in-law get my Cassel jersey and chatted with him a little. Down to earth and a gentleman, and I mean gentleman. When I asked him to sign the jersey he said things are gonna get better I promise. I commented on his last drive of the Dallas game as the drive that made me a beliver (even if it was extended by a penalty on 3rd and 26) and I really wasn't concerned about this season. I just hope they get you help on the line and he smiled and said me too.

I couldn't get over how easy he was to talk too, awesome night. I hope he sticks around for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    I work at a hotel in Lake of the Ozarks and he and his wife are in town for the weekend. When I walked by him n the Lobby I said man that looks like Matt Cassel, but he's too skinny to take those sunday hits he's been taken. Then he came into the restairant and I went to the front desk and made sure that was him. It was, had my sister-in-law get my Cassel jersey and chatted with him a little. Down to earth and a gentleman, and I mean gentleman. When I asked him to sign the jersey he said things are gonna get better I promise. I commented on his last drive of the Dallas game as the drive that made me a beliver (even if it was extended by a penalty on 3rd and 26) and I really wasn't concerned about this season. I just hope they get you help on the line and he smiled and said me too.

I couldn't get over how easy he was to talk too, awesome night. I hope he sticks around for a while.
    Awesome.
    Chiefs in 2011

Great story Nigeriannightmare, I wasn't a second in doubt that he is a gentleman and a standup guy.
    Now I just hope that the team can build around him this next offseason and the comming offseasons.
    But everytime I see him take a big hit on Sundays it hurts me a little too.
    I was pretty high on Croyle when he was given the reins a few years ago, and I really don't want to see Cassel's chance to shine, whisked away like it was Croyle.
    But I think he has already proven, that he is not as brittle as Croyle is, and I hope he can be as good as he looked to NE last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    Welcome to the Crowd KeepsNappin, haha.

Unfortunately, the Chiefs organization has done what you have suggested too many times...short term fixes with 1-2 yr players signed, which is part of why we're now a losing team.

We need to focus long term if we're ever gonna have a realistic shot at returning to the Super Bowl, for now...Cassell fits into the Chiefs long term plan. I'm trying to be patient for at least another season or two...it's gonna take that to really judge Cassell and the Chiefs team overall, including coaches.
    Focus on the long term? Isn't that what Herm and his boys did 4 years ago? They went out and signed a ton of young players to "rebuild" the organization. Then Pioli and Hailey come in and get rid of most of those players, and sign a bunch of veterans, most of which are from the Patriots. Also, how many of the players that they got rid, are making significant contributions to other teams, but they weren't good enough for Hailey and the gang. I have a hard time respecting a coach that has NEVER played the game he's coaching. I know that many of the best coaches were not good players, but at least they were Players. I think the Hunt family saw an opportunity for something new, and instead of hiring someone that was more fitting for the position, they hired who was hot for the last 5 games of the year. Pioli also needs to remember he's not with the patriots anymore, and start dealing for other teams. Maybe The Tuna has him on a short leash, and thats why he still wheels and deals with the dolphins and the Pats, but it's starting to get pretty old. It's hard to be a chiefs fan when there are a bunch of idiots running the organization. Maybe the chiefs can pull off a victory at practice this weekend.

KEEPSNAPPIN

Quote Originally Posted by KEEPSNAPPIN View Post
    Focus on the long term? Isn't that what Herm and his boys did 4 years ago? They went out and signed a ton of young players to "rebuild" the organization. Then Pioli and Hailey come in and get rid of most of those players, and sign a bunch of veterans, most of which are from the Patriots. Also, how many of the players that they got rid, are making significant contributions to other teams, but they weren't good enough for Hailey and the gang. I have a hard time respecting a coach that has NEVER played the game he's coaching. I know that many of the best coaches were not good players, but at least they were Players. I think the Hunt family saw an opportunity for something new, and instead of hiring someone that was more fitting for the position, they hired who was hot for the last 5 games of the year. Pioli also needs to remember he's not with the patriots anymore, and start dealing for other teams. Maybe The Tuna has him on a short leash, and thats why he still wheels and deals with the dolphins and the Pats, but it's starting to get pretty old. It's hard to be a chiefs fan when there are a bunch of idiots running the organization. Maybe the chiefs can pull off a victory at practice this weekend.

KEEPSNAPPIN

Ok were to begin.

What herm and CP did was they went far to young. I think that now they will even admit to that. You can not just sign in plug in players. Thats what Vermile did. Was it better to watch yes but the Chiefs were never able to win a championship doing that. Besides Randy Moss you heard very few Huge name free agent signings by the pats. They drafted well thats why they were so good for so long. See tom brady. Building through the draft is a much more proven way to build a team that can contend year in and year out. It takes time but Its the more proven way.

To talk about a coach that never played is just pointless. If you no the game of football then it realy does not matter if you had played or not . I cant say that Todd Haley is going to be a good head coach. I cant say that pioli is going to be a good GM with the chiefs. But its far to early to say that they wont. They took over a team that was far to young they brought in some Vets to help the young guys but to build this team is going to take time. End of story.

Pioli has three times the number of Lombardi trophies as the Chiefs organization for a reason.

Coach Haley grew up with his dad Dick Haley watching professional football film. Seems like a better way to learn football than playing pop warner.

Quote Originally Posted by #58ChiefsFan View Post
    Pioli has three times the number of Lombardi trophies as the Chiefs organization for a reason.

Coach Haley grew up with his dad Dick Haley watching professional football film. Seems like a better way to learn football than playing pop warner.
    That is all well and good, and I don't have any issue with Haley being a coach apart from one:

He has never been a head coach before, not at any level, he has never had to do the things that a head coach has to do then for this rookie coach to also take on OC duties, well that is too much.

This team needed a coach that knows how to build a team, work a team, and run a team, not one who will learn on the job.

That makes it where we have inexperienced players and no one to really teach them the ropes. A bad situation to be in for now and the future.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast