Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KC Star : Gay athletes don't fit in what is perceived as a homophobic NFL

Default KC Star : Gay athletes don't fit in what is perceived as a homophobic NFL

Athletes have heard the ugly words on practice fields for most of their lives. They hear them in the streets and at neighborhood hangouts. But when Chiefs running back Larry Johnson used an antigay slur on his Twitter account and in the locker room this week, he struck a nerve that makes professional sports leagues wince.

More...

OK, OK, it's time to step away from the antacid.

Yes, Johnson should not have said what he said, but come on, smack talk has been a part of sports long before we were all politically correct.

Yes, players through around the gay slurs on the field as ways of smack talking, they also through around plenty of other slurs and words that have nothing to do with sexual orientation.

Lets pull our panties out of our rears and get on with playing football.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

People say the stuff LJ said ALL THE TIME (the "gay slur" crap anyway)! I don't understand how its against gays....The media and the NFL overreacted big time. Its all just trash talk. This is American Football!
    It starts with the Offensive line

Quote Originally Posted by kilobytes View Post
    People say the stuff LJ said ALL THE TIME (the "gay slur" crap anyway)! I don't understand how its against gays....The media and the NFL overreacted big time. Its all just trash talk. This is American Football!
    It may be unfair but when you are a pro athlete there is a higher standered for you. Thats just how it is. Kids look up to them. You no that going in. LJ signed a contract that most likely had things like what he did covered. LJ being a pro athlete is held to a higher standered thats part of the reason they are paid millions of dollars.

It does not matter if it is said all the time. Go call one of your coworkers a f*gg*t and see how long you remain employed. And he did not get suspended by the media so I dont understand how it is a media overreaction. This isnt just trash talk, this is a biggot badmouthing the gay community.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    It does not matter if it is said all the time. Go call one of your coworkers a f*gg*t and see how long you remain employed. And he did not get suspended by the media so I dont understand how it is a media overreaction. This isnt just trash talk, this is a biggot badmouthing the gay community.
    Not only is he bad mouthing the way people live their life, think of all the kids who look up to him.

That's another reason why he is suspended ATM, I think.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

I have never known anyone that used ****** to offend gays.... So really its just meant to say you are jackass or an *******. I hear it all the time.

Im also all for gays having complete equal rights.

Last edited by kilobytes; 10-31-2009 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    OK, OK, it's time to step away from the antacid.

Yes, Johnson should not have said what he said, but come on, smack talk has been a part of sports long before we were all politically correct.

Yes, players through around the gay slurs on the field as ways of smack talking, they also through around plenty of other slurs and words that have nothing to do with sexual orientation.

Lets pull our panties out of our rears and get on with playing football.
    I wish people would realize this.

I have never known anyone that used ****** to offend gays.... So really its just meant to say you are jackass or an *******. I hear it all the time.

Im also all for gays having complete equal rights.

You have never known anyone to use the work f*gg*t to offend gays? That is the reason the work exists. Its not meant to call someone a jackass, its meant to say someone is a homosexual. So you think they can say pretty much whatever they want as long as you hear it all the time. I see....makes a lot of sense.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

You have never known anyone to use the work f*gg*t to offend gays? That is the reason the work exists. Its not meant to call someone a jackass, its meant to say someone is a homosexual. So you think they can say pretty much whatever they want as long as you hear it all the time. I see....makes a lot of sense.
    Well of course aside from the way the people in the UK use it of course.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast