Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The defensive line was impressive

Default The defensive line was impressive

Tyson Jackson was a beast especially stopping the run and making tackles and I saw Dorsey get penetration a couple times. Magee nearly had a sack too. Ron Edwards did well at nose tackle. From what I saw I thought they were good for what a 3-4 D line is supposed to do.

LB's especially Hali and Mays were pretty good. The secondary was an absolute mess though, except Flowers.

Mike Brown......
    It starts with the Offensive line

Quote Originally Posted by KCraised View Post
    Mike Brown is a huge liability. Even Shannon Sharpe made a joke about him in the postgame and all of his fellow crew chuckled right along. Something has to be done....now.
    Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    Indeed. Had Brown made his tackles in that game, we win. Very frustrating watching Pollard play out of his mind in Houston right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by kcmostwanted View Post
    I think what shannon said was right.. something like "Mike Brown = Touchdown"...

We all know Haley's an idiot but which head coach would ever think that John Mcgraw and Mike touchdown could be our safeties if Page ever got hurt :-(

Shannon Sharpe= mouthy, arrogant douche. Who made him the absolute authority on the play of safeties? Strangely, Mike Brown is tied for first in tackles on KC right now, and is the ONLY safety of ours that has not been hurt. Wasn't everyone saying that Brown was the injury-prone guy?

Yep- Pollard is playing pretty well in Houston. Suppose that could have to do with the change of scenery and talent level around him there? I just don't get the worship- it's not like he was that great of a safety, whether he *should* have been cut or not.

It's hard to put all the blame on one guy in our secondary when in reality, we have only one who is worth a darn (Flowers). It's obviously an area KC needs to address, but why is all this Mike Brown's fault? I somehow doubt he's the only one to have given up a big play this year.

Maybe he's tired- I would be too if I was on the field for 40 minutes of every game.

The D line was great

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    They did a good job getting penetration, but once in the backfield, it looked like my 90 pound 12 year old kid trying to tackly my 250 pound body.

They cimply could not close the deal, none of them, it also looked like they were giving up on a couple of plays. It looked like a couple of times a defender would have the QB, and the others would stop pursuit only to have Gerard slip away from the defender and throw the ball away.
    I believe the play you're thinking of was when Garrard got pressured by Vrabel, but then another player (Mays?) came up to pressure him as he rolled out to the right. Vrabel backed off the pressure.

However, what he was doing was sagging back to cover the tight end who had come back to the right flat. Vrabel knew that he had to drop back and keep garrard from dumping it off for a first down. He was right, and garrard ended up throwing it out of bounds to avoid the sack, but he surely would have had a first down if vrabel hadn't been smart and fallen into coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by josh1971 View Post
    Shannon Sharpe= mouthy, arrogant douche. Who made him the absolute authority on the play of safeties? Strangely, Mike Brown is tied for first in tackles on KC right now, and is the ONLY safety of ours that has not been hurt. Wasn't everyone saying that Brown was the injury-prone guy?

Yep- Pollard is playing pretty well in Houston. Suppose that could have to do with the change of scenery and talent level around him there? I just don't get the worship- it's not like he was that great of a safety, whether he *should* have been cut or not.

It's hard to put all the blame on one guy in our secondary when in reality, we have only one who is worth a darn (Flowers). It's obviously an area KC needs to address, but why is all this Mike Brown's fault? I somehow doubt he's the only one to have given up a big play this year.

Maybe he's tired- I would be too if I was on the field for 40 minutes of every game.
    As much as I loathe Shannon Sharpe......I rate him the foulest player ever.....he is going to the Hall of Fame and makes a living talking about Football and is in the tops of his position. So i would say he has alot more abilty to give an educated conversation on Brown's play than you and I....

I like Sterling better :P

Though, even I can see that Mike Brown isnt cutting it, and wouldnt be starting for any other team in the league. Name a safety playing worse?

Ok, let's discuss the talent around him...

Let's just say that The Texans are so overwhelmingly talented on defense that they are making Pollard look good.

Why wouldn't that have worked here, had we kept him and started putting more talent around him?

Change of scenerey doesn't equal a change of talent. So I am not going that direction. I mean, the change in coaching staff and personell would have qualified at the start of this season.

Now let's talk about Pollard worship...

Or not. I haven't seen any.

Simply seeing a player that is obviously nowhere near as bad as you have painted him out to be is far from worship.

The fact is that this team sure could use a player, of his age, who can do what he has been doing this season. And releasing him was clearly a mistake.

Now, how about the excuses you are making for Mike Brown...

How is it that Brown can be playing worse than Pollard did, and, suddenly, there are all of these other variables to consider, while Pollard, who actually was the team leader in tackles last season, gets none of that consideration?

I ask you again...

Is there really no way possible that your judgement of Pollard could have been fueled by seeing some mistakes, from a very young player, that sparked some ire, or maybe even plain hasty?

Good to see my LSU boys getting some love! Nice to see the turn-around on the opinions of Dorsey and Jackson; d-line in the NFL takes time - they will get better.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    ...Is there really no way possible that your judgement of Pollard could have been fueled by seeing some mistakes, from a very young player, that sparked some ire, or maybe even plain hasty?
    No, no, no, that was James Hasty; I really liked him.

Ok, let's discuss the talent around him...

Let's just say that The Texans are so overwhelmingly talented on defense that they are making Pollard look good.

Why wouldn't that have worked here, had we kept him and started putting more talent around him?

Perhaps it would have worked to have done that. But THEY CUT HIM, so that will never happen here. And I didn't say that they were overwhelmingly talented on defense, just that their defense is better than ours, and when you have a line/linebackers getting pressure on a QB, and other D-backs able to make plays, that creates opportunities for someone to make plays.

Probably would have worked here, but again, THEY CUT HIM before it did happen.

Change of scenerey doesn't equal a change of talent. So I am not going that direction. I mean, the change in coaching staff and personell would have qualified at the start of this season.
    No, but a change of scenery CAN boost a guy's spirits, and give him a renewed vigor for playing the game, which can elevate his play, no? I think when Haley and Pioli came on, Pollard *was* excited, but for some reason, their love of him wore off as time went on.

Now let's talk about Pollard worship...

Or not. I haven't seen any.

Simply seeing a player that is obviously nowhere near as bad as you have painted him out to be is far from worship.
    Give me a break. My criticisms are valid- he's terrible in coverage. He's a guy who had the lead for tackles last year. WOW. But some people have been making it seem like cutting this guy is the end of the chiefs.

The fact is that this team sure could use a player, of his age, who can do what he has been doing this season. And releasing him was clearly a mistake.
    And that's YOUR opinion. Maybe we should have kept him- but the point I've been making is- we didn't, so dragging out the complaining is doing no good at all.

Now, how about the excuses you are making for Mike Brown...

How is it that Brown can be playing worse than Pollard did, and, suddenly, there are all of these other variables to consider, while Pollard, who actually was the team leader in tackles last season, gets none of that consideration?
    You should write childrens' TV shows, because you have one hell of an imagination. 'all these other variables'... You should re-read my post. I said Pollard was playing pretty good in Houston.

The only point I was, and am, making on Mike Brown is that it's not like our defense is a 5-5-1 formation. There are 3 and sometimes more guys back there- everyone has focused on this one f'ing guy for the problems back there. He was said to be fragile- he's the only safety we haven't lost to injury.

And the differences in the play of Pollard and Brown from a stat perspective is Brown's sack, and Pollard's 2 INTs. In tackles, Brown actually has a slight edge.

There's no doubt Pollard could have contributed- BUT HE GOT CUT. He was our leading tackler last season- BUT HE'S NOT HERE, so because Pollard is gone, Mike Brown is the bad guy? How about the coverage of Leggett? Morgan? Carr?

Mike Brown's not the answer at all to a top flight secondary, but there's 11 f'ing guys out there playing defense, and everyone seems to have focused in on ONE dude.

I ask you again...

Is there really no way possible that your judgement of Pollard could have been fueled by seeing some mistakes, from a very young player, that sparked some ire, or maybe even plain hasty?
    Please... My judgment of Pollard is that he's a young safety with some talent and skill who could really contribute to a defense. But as I said above- HE'S GONE. I don't hate Pollard, don't think he's a talentless clown, but his coverage skills were lacking, and he had some other problems like going for the big hit and not finishing tackles.

Had we kept him, I wouldn't have complained, but I'm just tired of wading through the f'ing tears because we cut a guy. And then one guy out of all the defensive players we have seems to get the blame for our defense's shortcomings. Frankly, it's like blaming one ember for the whole house fire.

Perhaps it would have worked to have done that. But THEY CUT HIM, so that will never happen here. And I didn't say that they were overwhelmingly talented on defense, just that their defense is better than ours, and when you have a line/linebackers getting pressure on a QB, and other D-backs able to make plays, that creates opportunities for someone to make plays.

Probably would have worked here, but again, THEY CUT HIM before it did happen.
    I know they cut him. THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE. At the absolute least, he was everything that Mike Brown is, with long-term potential.

No, but a change of scenery CAN boost a guy's spirits, and give him a renewed vigor for playing the game, which can elevate his play, no? I think when Haley and Pioli came on, Pollard *was* excited, but for some reason, their love of him wore off as time went on.
    He was hardly given any time. He was cut before the season even started.

Give me a break. My criticisms are valid- he's terrible in coverage. He's a guy who had the lead for tackles last year. WOW. But some people have been making it seem like cutting this guy is the end of the chiefs.
    And yet he is suddenly not so terrible in coverage.

And that's YOUR opinion. Maybe we should have kept him- but the point I've been making is- we didn't, so dragging out the complaining is doing no good at all.
    It is attempting to determine how well the new staff is doing. If this was a poor decision, along with so many other decisions that appear to be poor, then one would have to think that the new staff is doing a poor job.

You should write childrens' TV shows, because you have one hell of an imagination. 'all these other variables'... You should re-read my post. I said Pollard was playing pretty good in Houston.
    Yet, when Pollard was released, you didn't want to accept any of those same 'excuses' that you are currently using for his replacement.

The only point I was, and am, making on Mike Brown is that it's not like our defense is a 5-5-1 formation. There are 3 and sometimes more guys back there- everyone has focused on this one f'ing guy for the problems back there. He was said to be fragile- he's the only safety we haven't lost to injury.
    Everyone has blamed him alone? Noone has been complaining about our CBs? Nor our other safeties?

Just like you pin-pointed two plays that Pollard screwed up, as justice for his release, the same thing is happening to Brown.

And, just like with Pollard on those two plays, it is all Mike Brown's fault when he fails at his specific duty. And it has been happening quite alot of late.

And the differences in the play of Pollard and Brown from a stat perspective is Brown's sack, and Pollard's 2 INTs. In tackles, Brown actually has a slight edge.
    ...having played two more games?

Pollard - 6 games, 42 tackles... 7.0 tackles per game.

Brown - 8 games, 47 tackles... 5.9 tackles per game.

And I think you accidentally forgot about pass deflections (Pollard -3, Brown - 0) and Forced Fumbles (Pollard 1, Brown - 0).

There's no doubt Pollard could have contributed- BUT HE GOT CUT. He was our leading tackler last season- BUT HE'S NOT HERE, so because Pollard is gone, Mike Brown is the bad guy? How about the coverage of Leggett? Morgan? Carr?

Mike Brown's not the answer at all to a top flight secondary, but there's 11 f'ing guys out there playing defense, and everyone seems to have focused in on ONE dude.

Please... My judgment of Pollard is that he's a young safety with some talent and skill who could really contribute to a defense. But as I said above- HE'S GONE. I don't hate Pollard, don't think he's a talentless clown, but his coverage skills were lacking, and he had some other problems like going for the big hit and not finishing tackles.

Had we kept him, I wouldn't have complained, but I'm just tired of wading through the f'ing tears because we cut a guy. And then one guy out of all the defensive players we have seems to get the blame for our defense's shortcomings. Frankly, it's like blaming one ember for the whole house fire.
    I think the reason that you are seeing Brown's name mentioned so much more than others around here, is because ...

A.) He has been guilty of alot of big mistakes, that draw alot of attention.

B.) Those who are against he release of Pollard are pointing out that the hole at that position is now bigger than it was last season.

C.) Those that feel like Haley is doing a poor job, continue to point to moves like cutting Pollard as one of the reasons that they think he is doing a poor job. (Which brings you back to B).

D.) Nobody expects anything from Morgan, Mcgraw and Leggett.

E.) You keep feeding the discussion. Anytime Pollard is mentioned, you throw your hat in the ring.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast