Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting the ball down field

Post Getting the ball down field

Todd said today that he wouldnt trade more turnovers for getting the ball down the field more. Seems that defences are playing 11 men in a fifteen yard zone. I think you have to turn your quarterback loose and let him take some chances to loosen up defences so we can complete more short passes with oppertunity to RAC and free up the running game again. I understand that protection is not great but you can throw a deep pass on a three step drop. A deep pass does not always need to be completed to loosen a defence. I would love for them to let Matt cut loose and let him throw some back shoulder passes and some jump balls in tight coverage. When Matt threw the near interseption on the fade to Chambers, the coverage was there and Chambers exspected the back shoulder pass and backed out of the coverage. I think this is something that they need to start letting Matt throw these passes. Mayby it is lack of oppertunnity to practice with the same recievers long enough to build that trust. What ya think gang.

Why is that all in italics?

first thing first the chiefs have to stop going backwards before they can start takeing long shots down the field. Thats the biggest thing.

I agree with this post. Getting the ball down the field is important, and we are the worst in the league at it. heck, even taking shots down the field puts the defense on its heels and stretches them out and can open up run game and underneath stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    first thing first the chiefs have to stop going backwards before they can start takeing long shots down the field. Thats the biggest thing.
    Chicken or the egg. A big reason we're seeing minus plays is because defenses have no reason to respect us, so they're stacking the box. Haley even acknowledged the reason he didn't run the ball much was because Jacksonville was stacking 8-9 constantly.

If you don't take some shots in those situations, you're going to have to rely on guys breaking tackles on the short routes just to convert first downs. We haven't been able to do that through 8 games, so I don't see it happening all of a sudden. We really need to start throwing deep more often. We have Chambers to go along with Bowe now as deep threats, so double coverage is not an excuse.

Waxahachie, TX via Broken Arrow, OK via McLouth, KS

granted, penalties, sacks andruns for losses are forcing us backwards. although, I think what he is saying is if we dont go down field at ALL then why do the defenses have to respect anything? Think about it. if u only run or throw no more than 15 yard passes and the other teams defense looks at those tapes and sees that? then of course they are going to make a defensive game plan of all plays 15 yards or less

I don't feel like we have anthing to loose therefore we can't afford not throw down the field, if we don't make it we can't say we didn't try.If we don't try, we'll never be able to run the ball successfully.

Look on the bright side.......We will get a better chance to pick up the best safety, Eric Berry...

Throwing the ball down field takes time!!! Can't throw it very far laying on your back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 70 chiefsfan70 View Post
    I don't feel like we have anthing to loose therefore we can't afford not throw down the field, if we don't make it we can't say we didn't try.If we don't try, we'll never be able to run the ball successfully.

Look on the bright side.......We will get a better chance to pick up the best safety, Eric Berry...
    Berry will punish other teams for throwing deep on us. I can't wait for him to be killing that deep passing attack of San Diego.

I agree. But sometimes Cassel doesn't even a have time for a 3 step drop. I wish we would call some boot legs.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast