Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TD Celebration fines

Default TD Celebration fines

Anyone else think that the NFL is getting lame with all the TD celebration penalties and fines. Growing up as a kid, that was what I always looked forward to. Getting a TD and doing a celebration dance.

Which brings me to the recent fine to Chad Ochocinco's $1 bill celebration which he gave to the ref after a TD to "bribe" him. He was fined $20k!!! I think Ochocinco's celebrations are awesome and always look forward to players like him who love to celebrate and don't care about getting fined. Celebrations to me are part of the game.
    MAKE WHOOLIES!!!

Joseph
    The Real SIC Riders
    www.SCSclothing.com
    www.SoCalStunts.com

You're allowed to celebrate, you're just not allowed to get excessive or use props. I have no problems with this. This isn't "Whose Line Is It Anyway" or "Ballet Class". I don't wanna see a bunch of showing off, doing stupid dances, or using props. I have no problem with celebrating, but I think there's a respectable way to celebrate and than there's an unsportsman way to celebrate and I'm glad there's rules in place to prevent the unsportman kind.
    Last edited by captainamerica; 11-14-2009 at 02:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by honda522 View Post
    I agree. I watched Tony Gonzalez go up to a little kid after a touchdown a few weeks ago and hand him the ball. He didn't do a pointless dance for his td...Brett Favre...he goes up to his recivers and gives them a hug. Thats the way to celebrate.
    While I do feel the rule is currently too strict, and I find no reason to stop players from acting like clowns for a moment, I realize that you do have to draw the line somewhere. And I loved the Barry Sanders TD celebration of handing the football to the nearest ref.

I don't like how we seem to want to say exactly what is an acceptable way to celebrate, just because that is how we (individually) choose to celebrate.

Use the ball as a prop? Sure. Just keep it short.

Use something else as a prop? Nah. You are just going out of your way to do that.

Wear a "H.O.F." jacket on your own sideline? Go for it.

If you dislike those things, then just don't bother with it. Don't like ESPN replaying it over and over? Write a letter to ESPN.

So long as they aren't wasting time, then it doesn't matter to me, as far as rather or not to allow it. But I do prefer the simple MJ/Tiger fist-pump, or Barry "Been there before" approach. Those players are generally going to be more popular with me.

not lame but taken way too far!!!

The Icky shuffle was legendary........

But I bet he he would get fined for doing it now cuz its "too long".
    MAKE WHOOLIES!!!

Joseph
    The Real SIC Riders
    www.SCSclothing.com
    www.SoCalStunts.com

This celebration was from the CFL a week or so ago. There was a boat at the back of the end zone that was going to be given away at half time, defense picked off the ball for a TD, and the whole secondary celebrated by climbing into the boat. They all got fined

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfE2MwmdxJE"]YouTube- Ticats boat celebration td[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by chiefs105 View Post
    You guys remember what the (NFL) stands for dont you
    No Fun League that was ridiculious to fine ocho 20 grand for that.
    So do you think that the NFL should have just ignored Chad Johnson playfully bribing the refs? I don't think they had any choice but to nip it in the bud. You can argue the amount of the fine, but I think they had to address it.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Sportsmanship had EVERYTHING to do with class. There is nothing wrong with a high five or pat on the back for scoring, but doing CPR on the ball, Riverdancing, Bowling, putting with the ball is a waste of time. Maybe if some of these guys spent more time making themselves and their teams better you wouldn't need to look to their celebration dances to make football interesting.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Fansincebirth View Post
    They are saying look at me, not yes, WE scored. The NFL has no problems with celebration.
    Others may not agree, but I'm growing a little tired of Bowe pointing to his name on his jersey every time he scores. Again, it is direct reference to "Look at me", not the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    So do you think that the NFL should have just ignored Chad Johnson playfully bribing the refs? I don't think they had any choice but to nip it in the bud. You can argue the amount of the fine, but I think they had to address it.

Well said.

Others may not agree, but I'm growing a little tired of Bowe pointing to his name on his jersey every time he scores. Again, it is direct reference to "Look at me", not the team.
    i never even noticed bowe did that i guess that shows how much i pay attention I am to busy celebrating the TD myself they are few and far between

Quote Originally Posted by SIC J View Post
    Anyone else think that the NFL is getting lame with all the TD celebration penalties and fines. Growing up as a kid, that was what I always looked forward to. Getting a TD and doing a celebration dance.

Which brings me to the recent fine to Chad Ochocinco's $1 bill celebration which he gave to the ref after a TD to "bribe" him. He was fined $20k!!! I think Ochocinco's celebrations are awesome and always look forward to players like him who love to celebrate and don't care about getting fined. Celebrations to me are part of the game.
    I think TD Celebrations are great evry now and again but IMO getting a TD at all is pretty good, so a TD celebration isnt always necessary. But dont get me wrong, I do think that fines foe celbrating after TDs is stupid!

I think TD celebrations are ok as long as they are celebrations, not insults to other players. It makes it more interesting to watch the other team's that I dont care about.

Also, Chad Ochocinco's bribe was not a celebration. He did made a catch that was being reviewed. While the refs were reviewing the tape, he was trying to go over and bribe them.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Think Bowe might be developing a big head? Dang I thought the chiefs were rebuilding...
    <a href=http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif target=_blank>http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif</a>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast