Thread: A Joe Gibbs parallel

Default A Joe Gibbs parallel

I was watching a feature and interview with Joe Gibbs. And some of the details gave me some encouragement for the Chiefs.

In 1979 and 1980 Joe Gibbs was the offensive coordinator for the Chargers. And they said Gibbs helped put together one of the best offenses off all time. (That Dan Fouts, Chuck Muncie, John Jefferson, Charlie Joiner, Kellen Winslow team that set records for total offensive yards).

Well, Todd Haley was the offensive coordinator with the Cardinals in 2007 and 2008. And also helped put together a powerful offense, of course.

In 79 and 80 the Chargers, after being bad for a decade, had excellent years of 11-5 and 12-4. Likewise the Cardinals, after 8 consecutive losing records, improved to 8-8 in 2007 and 9-7 in 2008 (and made the Super Bowl, of course).

Then in 1981 Joe Gibbs became head coach of the Redskins. He started the year 0-5. Then they played strong as they finished 8-8. Well, Todd Haley became head coach of the Chiefs in 2009 (also after having been OC for 2 years like Gibbs). He also started out 0-5. Now is 3-7, with several more wins this year very plausible.

Then in 1982 Joe Gibbs and the Skins won the Super Bowl! So what could happen in 2010 for the Chiefs? :)

And in the next 10 years the Skins would go to 3 more Super Bowls and win 2 of them.

Now maybe the Chiefs won't quite take it all the way to the SB next year. But could be we are in for a prosperous decade to come.

I just thought these were some neat parallels to share.

GO CHIEFS!
    Last edited by Chiefster; 11-29-2009 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Via member's request.

An interesting story, lets see if it pans out~

I will be here to still to find out.

One other parallel I forgot to mention is that Gibbs also took over a Redskins team in a mess (in 1980 they were 6-10 and started out 3-10).

Likewise, of course, Todd Haley took over a Chiefs team that lost 23 of it last 25.

And I see in my third paragraph I had typoed Todd's name is Tood. Maybe a monitor could fix that, heh? :)

Quote Originally Posted by IlovetheChiefs View Post
    One other parallel I forgot to mention is that Gibbs also took over a Redskins team in a mess (in 1980 they were 6-10 and started out 3-10).

Likewise, of course, Todd Haley took over a Chiefs team that lost 23 of it last 25.

And I see in my third paragraph I had typoed Todd's name is Tood. Maybe a monitor could fix that, heh? :)
    Done!

Much better! You're the BEST! (after Len Dawson, that is!)