Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: GRETZ: The Next Moves

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Grain Valley, MO
    Posts
    2,425
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default GRETZ: The Next Moves


    0 Not allowed!
    GRETZ: The Next Moves

    Aug 31, 2007, 8:50:56 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ



    ST. LOUIS Ė Last night at the Ed Dome here, the Chiefs finished up the pre-season losing 10-3 to the St. Louis Rams.
    Game highlights included Ö
    Enough of that.
    Thankfully the pre-season is completed. Now, comes the matter of trimming the roster to the NFL limit of 53 players. That must get done by Saturday afternoon. The Chiefs may announce some of their moves as early as Friday afternoon.
    For the most part, there really arenít that many tough decisions for the Chiefs. Many of the players that will be released are names that are not well known to Chiefs fans. But there are some familiar names that were part of the discussions leading up to this final cut. Especially this year, with Herm Edwards talking about this team getting younger.
    Whether or not any of these players actually sees the waiver wire remains to be seen, but you can bet there were discussions about the options with numerous veteran players like:
    Tight End Jason Dunn. After starting the pre-season on the PUP list, Dunn got back on the field and heís been less than impressive. Heís survived this long because of his ability to block and if the coaches feel thatís dropped off at all, thereís not much of a reason to keep him. Given the Chiefs offensive problems in the pre-season, the coaches on that side of the ball will likely lobby to keep any player that could provide help for that unit.
    Safety Greg Wesley. The Chiefs have been trying to trade Wesley for the better part of the last six months. There have been a couple of interested parties including most recently the Houston Texans. That deal didnít get done when Wesley refused to re-negotiate his contract. Wesley can still contribute on the field, but he wonít be a starter and thatís not likely to leave him as a happy camper.
    Wide Receiver Samie Parker. There really hasnít been much of a change in the evaluation of Parker since the end of last season. Heís physically gifted, but he drops too many passes and too often is not where he should be on pass routes. Herm Edwards wants to get Dwayne Bowe and Jeff Webb on the field in the offense, which is going to take away snaps from Parker. The addition of Eddie Drummond as a receiver-returner brings into discussion whether the Chiefs carry four or five receivers. If itís four, Parker is the odd man out.
    Fullback Boomer Grigsby. After last season, Grigsby knew the only way to save his spot on the Chiefs roster was to make the switch from linebacker to offense and the fullback position. Heís made great progress there, making himself more of a factor in the battle for roster spots than anyone would have imagined. Losing two games to injury did not help his cause. Neither did his dropped pass Thursday night in St. Louis, or his first holding call in pass protection. The Chiefs are not an every-down, two-back team, which means they have less of a need for a backup fullback.
    Linebacker Rich Scanlon. The Chiefs figure to keep seven linebackers, although the situation with Wesley may force them to carry five safeties, which has a trickle down effect on the other positions. Right now, it looks like Scanlon trying to pry the seventh linebacker spot out of the hands of rookie free agent Nate Harris. Against St. Louis, Scanlon and Harris were on all four major kicking teams units. The decision may come down to Scanlonís experience against Harrisí upside and speed.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

  2. #2
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Location
    sw missouri
    Posts
    363
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I would really hate to see Boomer go, I like the way he plays, he just needs to come a little farther.
    The Ozarks is Chiefs Country

  3. #3
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    4,841
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ef0e View Post
    GRETZ: The Next Moves

    Aug 31, 2007, 8:50:56 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ



    ST. LOUIS Ė Last night at the Ed Dome here, the Chiefs finished up the pre-season losing 10-3 to the St. Louis Rams.
    Game highlights included Ö
    Enough of that.
    Thankfully the pre-season is completed. Now, comes the matter of trimming the roster to the NFL limit of 53 players. That must get done by Saturday afternoon. The Chiefs may announce some of their moves as early as Friday afternoon.
    For the most part, there really arenít that many tough decisions for the Chiefs. Many of the players that will be released are names that are not well known to Chiefs fans. But there are some familiar names that were part of the discussions leading up to this final cut. Especially this year, with Herm Edwards talking about this team getting younger.
    Whether or not any of these players actually sees the waiver wire remains to be seen, but you can bet there were discussions about the options with numerous veteran players like:
    Tight End Jason Dunn. After starting the pre-season on the PUP list, Dunn got back on the field and heís been less than impressive. Heís survived this long because of his ability to block and if the coaches feel thatís dropped off at all, thereís not much of a reason to keep him. Given the Chiefs offensive problems in the pre-season, the coaches on that side of the ball will likely lobby to keep any player that could provide help for that unit.
    Safety Greg Wesley. The Chiefs have been trying to trade Wesley for the better part of the last six months. There have been a couple of interested parties including most recently the Houston Texans. That deal didnít get done when Wesley refused to re-negotiate his contract. Wesley can still contribute on the field, but he wonít be a starter and thatís not likely to leave him as a happy camper.
    Wide Receiver Samie Parker. There really hasnít been much of a change in the evaluation of Parker since the end of last season. Heís physically gifted, but he drops too many passes and too often is not where he should be on pass routes. Herm Edwards wants to get Dwayne Bowe and Jeff Webb on the field in the offense, which is going to take away snaps from Parker. The addition of Eddie Drummond as a receiver-returner brings into discussion whether the Chiefs carry four or five receivers. If itís four, Parker is the odd man out.
    Fullback Boomer Grigsby. After last season, Grigsby knew the only way to save his spot on the Chiefs roster was to make the switch from linebacker to offense and the fullback position. Heís made great progress there, making himself more of a factor in the battle for roster spots than anyone would have imagined. Losing two games to injury did not help his cause. Neither did his dropped pass Thursday night in St. Louis, or his first holding call in pass protection. The Chiefs are not an every-down, two-back team, which means they have less of a need for a backup fullback.
    Linebacker Rich Scanlon. The Chiefs figure to keep seven linebackers, although the situation with Wesley may force them to carry five safeties, which has a trickle down effect on the other positions. Right now, it looks like Scanlon trying to pry the seventh linebacker spot out of the hands of rookie free agent Nate Harris. Against St. Louis, Scanlon and Harris were on all four major kicking teams units. The decision may come down to Scanlonís experience against Harrisí upside and speed.
    Actually going to a fullback more often may help a lot with pass protection as well as run blocking. The lead block I saw him throw on the short yardage TD in one of the Hard Knocks episodes showed a lot of potential and fire. I basically live in hotels, so my time with NFL Network is limited and I didn't get to see last night's game.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

    Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

  4. #4
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,127
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 26

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    Actually going to a fullback more often may help a lot with pass protection as well as run blocking. The lead block I saw him throw on the short yardage TD in one of the Hard Knocks episodes showed a lot of potential and fire. I basically live in hotels, so my time with NFL Network is limited and I didn't get to see last night's game.

    Whatever it takes to get those beds sold.

  5. #5
    Member Since
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Grain Valley, MO
    Posts
    2,425
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by swmochiefsfan View Post
    I would really hate to see Boomer go, I like the way he plays, he just needs to come a little farther.
    I agree, I like Boomer as well.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

  6. #6
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    4,841
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Whatever it takes to get those beds sold.
    Chief,

    Let it rest. Seriously though, I travel a lot for work
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

    Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

  7. #7
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    28,082
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 250
    Given: 442

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I'd really like to see Boomer stay; kid has a lot of heart!


  8. #8
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    3,715
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    I'd really like to see Boomer stay; kid has a lot of heart!
    and a pretty cool haircut. I should do that.
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

    Official thread killer I have heard.

  9. #9
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Read the name dumbass!!
    Posts
    13,343
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 29

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sling58 View Post
    and a pretty cool haircut. I should do that.
    I'll give ya a haircut boy!! :afro:
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

  10. #10
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    3,715
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada's #1 Chiefs Fan View Post
    I'll give ya a haircut boy!! :afro:
    I'll bet you will. It will probably be a sideways mohawk knowing you!
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

    Official thread killer I have heard.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •